ADVERTISEMENT

Lakers won the in season tourney shooting 2-13 from deep

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
Pacers were pretty awful as well at 10-41.

13 three attempts though, and they only hit 2??? Won easily? I don't know where I am going with this, but you can for sure win in the NBA not being able to hit the deep ball.

Can we win by not shooting the three? I think so, but one thing needs to change immeaditley. Our defense. Our defense is dog shit, and what Woody hangs his hat on.

Trey and Cupps cant guard athletic guards, so we need to either get X back and play CJ more. Or play more zone to hide them.

KU we match up much better with actually. Need to win that one in the worst way.

I don't see much of a path to beating KU ESPECIALLY if X can't play at a high level.

Defense is what cost us. Couldn’t get any turnovers either. Missed a dozen easy shots too. They ran zoom for Gunn and he couldn’t hit a layup.

Reactions: ribbont
Defense is what cost us. Couldn’t get any turnovers either. Missed a dozen easy shots too. They ran zoom for Gunn and he couldn’t hit a layup.
Our defense is so bad. The amount of open threes is just disgusting. I told my buddy they would shoot 30 threes, need them to hit 7. Well they shot 29 and hit 14... Many were like me shooting in the backyard, not a soul around.

I actually watched a fair amount of this game. The Pacers were way off their game and they are a very small team by NBA standards and struggled to defend LA. Anthony Davis just abused them and went for like 40-20. Austin Reeves who i have never even heard of and looks like a farm boy plucked from a cornfield had a record night scoring 28 for the Lakers. It was a weird game but the Pacers are entertaining and is they can attract another star to go along with Tyrese, they could be pretty good for the next several years.

I actually watched a fair amount of this game. The Pacers were way off their game and they are a very small team by NBA standards and struggled to defend LA. Anthony Davis just abused them and went for like 40-20. Austin Reeves who i have never even heard of and looks like a farm boy plucked from a cornfield had a record night scoring 28 for the Lakers. It was a weird game but the Pacers are entertaining and is they can attract another star to go along with Tyrese, they could be pretty good for the next several years.
They need another defensive stopper. Small is ok but they really do have to outscore people to win.

Our defense is so bad. The amount of open threes is just disgusting. I told my buddy they would shoot 30 threes, need them to hit 7. Well they shot 29 and hit 14... Many were like me shooting in the backyard, not a soul around.
If a team scores 75-78 points that’s enough to win. Zero freaking defense. And 6 makes on 17 tries with all those missed bunnies. Smfh!!! Offense wasn’t the issue. Turnovers were a little high at 12 but that wasn’t horrible either.

13 three attempts though, and they only hit 2??? Won easily? I don't know where I am going with this, but you can for sure win in the NBA not being able to hit the deep ball.

Can we win by not shooting the three? I think so, but one thing needs to change immeaditley. Our defense. Our defense is dog shit, and what Woody hangs his hat on.

Trey and Cupps cant guard athletic guards, so we need to either get X back and play CJ more. Or play more zone to hide them.

KU we match up much better with actually. Need to win that one in the worst way.
We're not the Lakers.
And yes, our defense was worse than awful

The Lakers didn’t win that easily. The score was close for most of the game. Turner‘s performance was brutally bad, and an aberration. The pacers offense is ranked the best in the league, and it was a collective bad night. Of course the Lakers defense had something to do with that. The Pacers need another player or two, but in my opinion, that player should be a defensive player.

I’ll say the same for IU and how they played yesterday. I know we see all the missed shots, but the defense is what lost that game. They had 100 points with a minute left in the game. Thats crazy.

Reactions: bsmitty08

If the pacers hit at their normal clip they wouldn’t have won. Also didn’t hurt that AD went for 40 and 21

Yeah we don’t have to score from deep but we have to limit how often our opponents do so

X has to get healthy

Reactions: Victorbmyboy

Our current guards are horrible ... blame Woody if you want to blame someone. Huge mistake not getting playable guards. Consider though ... Losing Jakai hurt the depth, and losing X killed the backcourt....

Need X back and playing at a high rate. I think we can do with a low 3 rate, not final four or anything like that but at least be competitive in a weak conference but not without a threat in the backcourt, and certainly not with the defense we currently have.

Love him or hate him but X supplies a far better version of each than Gabe or Trey. Not that it matters much but he was getting to the line 8 per 40 before he went down. This means he's drawing fouls on penetration at a high rate. He was also shooting 50% from three ... 48/50/80 vs bad comp .. but .. it can only help.

Maybe his coming back puts the others in an easier role more suited to them and one they can handle..

Ya know. we've been playing these last few without our starting point guard and in the last game, we had 6 players on the questionable to play/injured list... which means 4 were playing through injury or illness. Not an excuse to get their asses whipped like that ... but maybe everyone should relax and realize it's a long season and we have a long way to go.....

Beat Kansas and get the stink of this game out of the air..

Last edited:
I think you have to be really good at D and rebounding if you are limited on O. It doesn't hurt to have LBJ and AD. You would have to hold the other team to 75-80 at most. If the other team has a good night on O, you likely won't catch them.

The in season tournament is a marketing gimmick and completely ridiculous.
The Pacers are not too far off. A trade or two away.

I think IU can win in the B1G w/o hitting a lot of 3s. Our league is a cesspool of really bad basketball - it's actually kind of sad, to be honest. Outside of Purdue, Illinois and Wisky, who has been any good at all? And Illinois and Wisky aren't world beaters and we know Purdue's limitations.

I've been as negative as anyone on here, but I think IU has a pretty decent shot of being somewhere near the top of the league this year. I think our front line is good enough to beat nearly any team in the league as long as our backcourt is just serviceable.

I don't understand the people who don't think that IU will make the tournament this year or even struggle. Have you watched any of the non-conference (or even conference) games with the other B1G teams? The league is really down this year. IU has a much higher ceiling than nearly any team not named MSU, and while I respect Izzo's coaching ability, they're broken right now and already 2 games behind in the loss column in the league.

But, w/o X regaining his end of year 2022 form and Trey regaining the ability to hit 3s, I don't see IU having any chance of making any noise in the tourney.

Reactions: .Gerdis

My view is that you can win by not hitting a lot of 3's but you have to defend the 3 very well.

That game was an extreme abberation. Announcers were talking specifically about how rare it is to win a NBA game making so few 3s. It is not a winning formula for any team other than the one that has LeBron and AD.

AD was a monster in that game, on both ends.

They also didn't win easily. LeBron and AD had to play basically the entire 2nd half, and it was a 3 pt game with about 5 mins left. If Pacers could have made any of their open shots outcome could have been different.

Reactions: PhyloeBedoe
I think IU can win in the B1G w/o hitting a lot of 3s. Our league is a cesspool of really bad basketball - it's actually kind of sad, to be honest. Outside of Purdue, Illinois and Wisky, who has been any good at all? And Illinois and Wisky aren't world beaters and we know Purdue's limitations.

I've been as negative as anyone on here, but I think IU has a pretty decent shot of being somewhere near the top of the league this year. I think our front line is good enough to beat nearly any team in the league as long as our backcourt is just serviceable.

I don't understand the people who don't think that IU will make the tournament this year or even struggle. Have you watched any of the non-conference (or even conference) games with the other B1G teams? The league is really down this year. IU has a much higher ceiling than nearly any team not named MSU, and while I respect Izzo's coaching ability, they're broken right now and already 2 games behind in the loss column in the league.

But, w/o X regaining his end of year 2022 form and Trey regaining the ability to hit 3s, I don't see IU having any chance of making any noise in the tourney.

The conference being shitty doesn't help your tourney resume.

X coming back will help, without question. But our defensive issues are ALSO systemic. We've shown that THIS group, without X, can defend at a decent level for stretches. They did it against UConn for much of the first half. They did it against Louisville for longer stretches. But invariably, even within games, they revert back to flat footed stances, slow rotations, miscommunications...that all lead to giving up both open looks on the outside AND offensive rebounding.

And what really hammers home, for me anyway, that its more of a systemic issue than just a personnel issue, is we struggled to guard good, perimeter oriented teams last year, and the year before. Arizona and Kansas, when we had X, torched us. We beat Xavier, but they scored on us very easily for most of that game. Then after X went down, Penn State, Iowa, Maryland, Miami... they shredded our defense. All of those teams spread you out, make you guard larger spaces, make you rotate well and make your closeouts longer...and we couldn't do those things well enough to stop them. This years team looks similar defensively to last years team that played against the teams I mentioned.

We could revert to being a predominately zone defense team this year. And I think that might give us a better chance to win some games. But that's a pretty darn big change, and would call in to question how much Woody actually values his own defensive beliefs, philosophies, and how much he actually emphasizes it. Seems like kicking the can of larger problems down the road to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT