ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky vs. IU: IU moves within one win of a super regional with a 5-3 win.

I will gladly admit I was wrong. This team has enough talent to do well but I learned tonight they have guts and a clutch gene which I had no idea about.

Still very worried about this program long term with this staff. However, tonight was one of the most special moments for this team ever and rivals the walk-off against Valpo for no. 1 if they can somehow win this Regional.

Story without a paywall
https://saturdaytradition.com/india...a-new-generation-the-joy-of-beating-kentucky/

And few instances have been more delicious than Saturday night’s 5-3 win over the top-seeded Wildcats in the NCAA baseball Lexington Regional. …

Baseball is at its best when unlikely heroes deliver. Saturday provided a classic example.

In every other sport, you can mask your team’s deficiencies in some way.

That’s not the case in baseball. Every man must step into the batter’s box. And numerically speaking, that makes the No. 9 hitter in the batting order the least likely candidate for postseason heroics.

There’s no confusing Peter Serruto for Kyle Schwarber, the greatest catcher and slugger in Indiana history. Serruto came into regionals with 3 home runs this season. He only had 7 extra-base hits, period. Serruto’s a pretty decent hitting catcher — .272 — but they’re almost exclusively singles.

But just like Schwarber, Serruto now has “clutch postseason home run” as part of his Indiana resume.

They still haven't put a game recap up at the IU site as I post this, and I couldn't get the schedule to come up to try and get the box score, so I had to go into the enemy camp to get the box score. Here's the link and the link indicated the box score for the IU/WVU game, but it's actually for tonight's game:

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Story without a paywall
https://saturdaytradition.com/india...a-new-generation-the-joy-of-beating-kentucky/

And few instances have been more delicious than Saturday night’s 5-3 win over the top-seeded Wildcats in the NCAA baseball Lexington Regional. …

Baseball is at its best when unlikely heroes deliver. Saturday provided a classic example.

In every other sport, you can mask your team’s deficiencies in some way.

That’s not the case in baseball. Every man must step into the batter’s box. And numerically speaking, that makes the No. 9 hitter in the batting order the least likely candidate for postseason heroics.

There’s no confusing Peter Serruto for Kyle Schwarber, the greatest catcher and slugger in Indiana history. Serruto came into regionals with 3 home runs this season. He only had 7 extra-base hits, period. Serruto’s a pretty decent hitting catcher — .272 — but they’re almost exclusively singles.

But just like Schwarber, Serruto now has “clutch postseason home run” as part of his Indiana resume.
You know, when Serruto first got here after transferring from Rutgers, he really struggled at the plate and for the most part his batting average was below .100 in that first season, but he caught fire near the end of that season raising that considerably. He has been a pretty reliable hitter since then while usually hitting in the No. 9 hole, and he has gotten a lot of clutch hits over his career here. He may be the MVP for this regional if we reach our first super regional since 2013.

It looks like IU will be the only B1G team with a win today, with Iowa falling late to Indiana State after the Sycamores came from behind with five runs late to win that game.

The Wake Forest/Maryland game was delayed and didn't get started until around 10:45 p.m ET. WF is up 9-3 in the top of the 7th with the Terps at the plate.

Last edited:
Thanks again, ptrich for all the updates.

I just started following the tournament now and see that Indiana State is good? Hosting a regional? How did the Sycamores get so good in baseball?

Anyone know if Cerny ejection means he’s sitting tonight? I’m guessing this is the case in which the storybook scenario is Goforth plays key role at 2b for a win!

Cerny has been solid all season - for a freshman infielder. Seems to make the spectacular plays easier than the routine. He’s the shortstop of the future.

His mother posted this morning that he might not get to play today. What an absolute crock of crap if that happens. Talk about the penalty not fitting the crime!

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
UK leading WVU 7-0 presently.

IA up 1 run on UNC late.

MD down to George Mason early.
And UK used two pitchers for the most part with a third in there to close it out in the 9th. We needed them to go to their bullpen more often, but WVU hitters were not cooperating. I saw a stat from the Maryland game where they lost to Wake Forest, 21-6, and the Terps used 7 pitchers in that game and they threw 229 pitches over 8 innings.

UNC just tied Iowa 5-5 with a solo homer in the 9th and the Heels are still at bat.

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
And UK used two pitchers for the most part with a third in there to close it out in the 9th. We needed them to go to their bullpen more often, but WVU hitters were not cooperating. I saw a stat from the Maryland game where they lost to Wake Forest, 21-6, and the Terps used 7 pitchers in that game and they threw 229 pitches over 8 innings.

UNC just tied Iowa 5-5 with a solo homer in the 9th and the Heels are still at bat.
Just forcing UK to burn a starter was a plus … I think IU would be stretched to find a Monday game starter should it come to that. (IU could be stretched at 6 today). IA UNC was 5-5 still in 12th … ISU should have a big pitching edge later today. MD bats pounded out an 8-5 lead now.

Thanks again, ptrich for all the updates.

I just started following the tournament now and see that Indiana State is good? Hosting a regional? How did the Sycamores get so good in baseball?
Baseball is one sport the Sycamores have excelled at over the years and they usually have a solid team, and their games with IU have been really competitive over the years. They are hosting this year because of their high RPI, and their non-conference schedule was the 5th toughest in the country this season. They were slotted as the No. 14 overall seed by the selection committee which made them a host team.

Just forcing UK to burn a starter was a plus … I think IU would be stretched to find a Monday game starter should it come to that. (IU could be stretched at 6 today). IA UNC was 5-5 still in 12th … ISU should have a big pitching edge later today. MD bats pounded out an 8-5 lead now.
Indiana State couldn't ask for anything better with the Iowa/UNC game going into the bottom of the 13th with Iowa just taking the lead 6-5 in the top of the inning.

Indiana State couldn't ask for anything better with the Iowa/UNC game going into the bottom of the 13th with Iowa just taking the lead 6-5 in the top of the inning.
IA can’t have much pitching left after that win … 222 pitches … by 3 pitchers I was expecting 5

They need to beat ISU twice.

George Mason cam3 back to lead 10-8 MD may need to score 30 runs today.

Last edited:
Maryland is tied with George Mason, 10-10, in the 9th. The Terps used 7 pitchers in their blowout loss to Wake Forest last night, and they have used 5 pitchers in this game so far.

Maryland is tied with George Mason, 10-10, in the 9th. The Terps used 7 pitchers in their blowout loss to Wake Forest last night, and they have used 5 pitchers in this game so far.
Terps were eliminated as GM scored in the bottom of the 9th for an 11-10 win. Terps probably didn't have enough pitching to get them through another game if they had won this game anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT