ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky vs. IU (6/4): IU stumbles their way to a 16-6 loss...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
IU is the home team and they will have LHP Ben Seiler on the mound with an ERA of 5.72 in 39.1 IP with a WHIP of 1.63. The one lineup and batting order change is that Serruto will bat in the 8th spot with Evan Goforth in the 9-hole as he replaced the suspended Cerny at 2nd. Seiler has been up and down and has had some very good outings, so let's hope this is one of them.

UK will have RHP Evan Martin on the mound with an ERA of 4.24 in 23.1 IP with a WHIP of 1.43.

1st Inning:

T1st:

Seiler walked the leadoff hitter on a full count. Seiler then hit a batter to put two on and no outs, and needless to say, it's not a good start to the game.

Seiler was having control problems and he went 3-2 on the next batter, but he induced a DP ball for two outs and the runner on 2nd reaching 3rd. A flyout ended the inning which could have been a disastrous start for IU.

B1st:

Glasser and Whalen both K'd for the first two outs. Taylor walked on a 3-1 count.

Tibbitts flied out to end the inning.

IU 0 UK 0

Last edited:
TV coverage? Streaming? I don't get the SEC network with my basic cable package.

2nd Inning:

T2nd:

Seiler faced the 5-7 hitters and the leadoff hitter singled for the first hit of the game. Seiler then hit his 2nd batter of the game and we are just in the 2nd, so Seiler may not be long for this game.

A SAC bunt moved the runners to 2nd and 3rd with one out. Seiler then gave up a three-run homer and we are already in a nice little hole to have to work out of. Seiler then gave up a single with one out and we are at the top of the order again.

Seiler then hit another batter for his 3rd hit batter in two innings, and UK has runners on 1st and 2nd with one out.

A single loaded the bases with one out. Mercer went to the bullpen and brought in RHP Ethan Phillips with an ERA of 4.70 in 30.2 IP.

Phillips got a big K against a dangerous hitter in Burkes for out No. 2 and the bases still loaded.

A WP scored another run, with runners moving to 2nd and 3rd. Phillips then walked a batter on a 3-2 count to load the bases again.

A GO retired the side.

B2nd:

We are at the 5-7 hitters with Mathison leading off, and we have to start getting our bats going. UK was under no pressure in their 10-0 win over WVU earlier and that helped them going into this game.

Mathison flied out for the first out. Pyne grounded out for the 2nd out and a pitcher that has pitched very little over the past month+ is starting to look a lot like Lee from yesterday with our bats being quiet.

Jessee popped out in foul territory to end the inning.

UK 4 IU 0

Last edited:
3rd Inning:

T3rd:

It's the 6-8 hitters up for UK. Phillips then hit the leadoff batter for the 4th hit batter of the game by IU, and it was with a 2-2 count.

A SAC bunt moved the runner to 2nd with one out.

Phillips got the 2nd out with a flyout with the runner holding at 2nd. Phillips then hit his 2nd batter of the inning and IU now has five hit batters on the game so far.

A flyout short of the warning track retired the side with the two hit batters left on base.

B3rd:

It's the 8 thru 1 hitters up and Serruto grounded out for the first out.

Goforth, in his first start in almost three months, hit a homer to CF in which the outfielder jumped and had it in his glove, but it popped out over the wall. The top of the order is up in Glasser.

Glasser singled with one out and the UK bullpen is active. Glasser reached 2nd base on a FC with Whalen out at first and two outs.

Taylor singled to drive in Glasser with two outs and IU has cut the margin in half at 4-2.

Tibbitts K'd looking to end the inning>

There is some UK fan in the background that I can hear that is really starting to get on my nerves, and he must have snuck some of his moonshine in.

UK 4 IU 2

Last edited:
In some way's IU is playing with house money and I admit that.

However, why throw your best remaining pitcher now when you still have a tomorrow if you lose and game getting away? Again this is the managing 101 situations Mercer fails at in the biggest moments. No chance IU does not get blown out now in next two.

I admit this season has been a massive success but you COULD (and I repeat COULD, not DEFINETELY) have had a better chance at moving on with a manager who knew how to handle big game moments better.

The return of plunking players is not Mercer's fault but I am not sure why it been an issue again this weekend after it was fixed most of the year following a ridiculous number last yr. Have to fix that but can this staff?

IU is in decent position for next season but your elite talent still has to overcome middle of the road at best managing and will continue to as long as this staff is in place.

Seiler sucks so when you throw him doesn't really matter. It's unfortunate you have to throw him at all.

Mercer has got to get pitching. It's been two seasons now.

4th Inning:

T4th:

Phillips was back out there and he faced the 2-4 hitters. Phillips hit the leadoff batter and both Seiler and Phillips have three hit batters apiece, and the leadoff batter has reached in all four innings so far for UK.

Phillips then hit another batter, his fourth, and IU has hit seven batters so far. Runners are now on 1st and 2nd with no outs and Phillips day is done.

RHP Luke Hayden, who has had his own control issues, came in with an ERA of 9.43 in 21 IP.

We knew we were at that part of the bullpen where we didn't know what we were going to get today, and so far we have not got good results.

A GO moved the runners to 2nd and 3rd with one out and a K would look huge here.

A single scored two runs to make it 6-2 and both hit batters crossed the plate.

Hayden then got a K for two outs. Hayden has had a pitch clocked at 97.

Hayden then tripped on the mound while throwing a pitch and it went as a WP has the ball dribbled away and the runner took 2nd. Hayden then walked a batter and a WP moved the runner on 2nd to 3rd.

A GO retired the side.

B4th:

UK went to the bullpen to bring in LHP Evan Byers with an ERA of 1.20 in 15 IP.

The 5-7 hitters are up with Mathison leading off. Mathison greeted the new pitcher with a homer to RF to make it 6-3 UK.

Pyne and Jessee both grounded out for two outs. Serruto then doubled to put a runner in scoring position.

Goforth grounded out to end the inning.

UK 6 IU 3

Last edited:
In some way's IU is playing with house money and I admit that.

However, why throw your best remaining pitcher now when you still have a tomorrow if you lose and game getting away? Again this is the managing 101 situations Mercer fails at in the biggest moments. No chance IU does not get blown out now in next two.

I admit this season has been a massive success but you COULD (and I repeat COULD, not DEFINETELY) have had a better chance at moving on with a manager who knew how to handle big game moments better.

The return of plunking players is not Mercer's fault but I am not sure why it been an issue again this weekend after it was fixed most of the year following a ridiculous number last yr. Have to fix that but can this staff?

IU is in decent position for next season but your elite talent still has to overcome middle of the road at best managing and will continue to as long as this staff is in place.
Pitchers not there today. How many hit batters? 5?
Awful.

5th Inning:

T5th:

It's the 9 thru 2 hitters up. Hayden got the leadoff hitter on a GO and it's the first time today that IU has gotten the leadoff hitter. A single put a man on with one out. Hayden got a flyout for out No. 2.

Hayden then gave up a two-run homer to the dangerous Burkes to give UK an 8-3 lead. A GO retired the side.

B5th:

It's the top of the order up with Glasser leading off and he singled.

Whalen hit into a DP for two outs.

Taylor fouled out to 3B to end the inning.

UK 8 IU 3

Last edited:
6th Inning:

T6th:

We are at the 5-7 hitters with Hayden out there. The leadoff hitter reached on an error at 1B where Tibbitts couldn't hand on to a throw.

A double put runners on 2nd and 3rd and no outs. We are pretty much at the point where we can't use any pitchers that may be needed tomorrow.

A single scored an unearned run and the runner was out after trying to take 2nd after a successful challenge by IU. With a runner at 3rd, a lineout and a flyout tired the side with UK up 9-3.

B6th:

With the 4-6 hitters up, Tibbitts doubled and Mathison singled to score Tibbitts.

Pyne popped up to 2B and two flyouts ended the inning.

UK 9 IU 4

Last edited:
Credit Mercer for throwing the back of his bullpen now and give them a better chance tomorrow. There is no bonus for scoring 20 runs. Other than throwing Phillips who absolutely should have been kept for tomorrow he backed off and saved a couple halfway decent arms which was a necessity

7th Inning:

T7th:

RHP Cooper Hellman came in with a high ERA in just over 4 IP. He faced the top of the order and we found out why he hasn't been used much. He gave up the following:

A single
Hit batter
Back-to-back WPs
Walk

Adrian Vega replaced Hellman and he gave up the following.

A double
Homer
Hit batter
Homer
3 Ks

UK got seven runs to make it 16-4.

B7th:

IU went down in order.

UK 16 IU 4

8th Inning:

T8th:

Vega was back out there and he got a flyout, single, pop out, and GO to retire the side.

B8th:

It was the 3-5 hitters up. Colopy lined out, Tibbitts K'd, Mathison doubled, and Pyne K'd to end the inning.

UK 16 IU 4

9th Inning:

T9th:

Vega was back out there to face the 6-8 hitters and he retired the side in order.

B9th:

It's the bottom of the order up with Jessee leading off. Jessee K'd and Langerman singled to put a runner on.

Goforth doubled to score Landerman.

Glasser grounded out moving Goforth to 3rd and two outs.

Whalen singled to score Goforth. Whalen then stole 2nd with two outs.

Colopy walked to put runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs and Tibbitts up.

Tibbitts flied out to end the game and IU made the final score just a little bit less ugly.

UK 16 IU 6

It's frustrating when you know you're going to get embarrassed and then you do indeed get embarrassed. Or... that you're not going to try and it shows.

It hasn't been announced yet since they didn't know if there would be a game tomorrow, so we have to stayed tuned.
They just announced that the game tomorrow will start at 6 p.m. ET. Whether it makes it to free TV tomorrow depends on what regionals need to go to another day and which games they feel are more attractive to the viewing audience obviously.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
It's frustrating when you know you're going to get embarrassed and then you do indeed get embarrassed. Or... that you're not going to try and it shows.
C'mon. We knew we were going to get embarrassed and then got embarrassed? Really? Considering who we had available today out of the pitching staff, there was certainly a chance a game like this could happen. The pitchers we used early on, although not our primary pitchers, have had some good outings before, but they didn't show up today, and we got a game like this.

Things just got off to a bad start from Seiler and that set the tone for the rest of the game with everyone having control issues while UK hitters than weren't being hit by a pitch, were teeing off on us. A decision had to be made to save certain pitchers for a showdown tomorrow when the game started getting out of hand, and UK had batting practice with pitchers that pitch in mop up situations like today.

People forget we were picked to finish 6 in big ten and pitching was the key reason. A majority of our staff are freshmen and sophomores. We’ve been playing with house money.

People forget we were picked to finish 6 in big ten and pitching was the key reason. A majority of our staff are freshmen and sophomores. We’ve been playing with house money.
Only Tracy Smith has ever made it as far as IU has this year. Lemonis made it to the championship of a Regional from the losers bracket and then lost to Texas.

C'mon. We knew we were going to get embarrassed and then got embarrassed? Really?

Just sheer frustration, ptrich. A game that could send us to the Super Regional and we have to punt because we only have 5 kids on the whole team that can reasonably called pitchers?

9 HBP is disgusting and the 10U pitching performance strikes a nerve. Especially given the situation.

Just extremely frustrated with year 2 of zero pitching.

I'm sorry. I digress.

Reactions: ptrich
Just sheer frustration, ptrich. A game that could send us to the Super Regional and we have to punt because we only have 5 kids on the whole team that can reasonably called pitchers?

9 HBP is disgusting and the 10U pitching performance strikes a nerve. Especially given the situation.

Just extremely frustrated with year 2 of zero pitching.

I'm sorry. I digress.
Yeah, I was too quick on my initial response to your post when I first saw it. It was just a very disappointing game all-around, with our hitters were not doing much against UK's young pitchers with limited innings until late in the game. We certainly need to improve our depth in the bullpen and we do have some young pitchers that may come around next season, but the portal will be heavily scrutinized to say the least.

I haven't seen anything on Sinnard since he left the game the other night, and when they said it was an elbow, here's hoping we are not seeing another Tommy John situation and we will need him next season. Foley and Risedorph, especially Foley, look very promising for next season.

Reactions: Seyton
Iowa and Maryland were both eliminated today with ISU winning the TH Regional, so IU will be the standard-bearer for the B1G going into the game tomorrow as the last team standing right now.

Reactions: Seyton
I probably shouldn't spend much time on this game given how it went. We went into the game going with pitchers that had an up and down season and weren't our primary pitchers, hoping we would get a solid outing out of them, but it wasn't to be.

Where was the Seiler that pitched six solid innings in a win over an above average Illinois team as the starter? Where was the pitcher that Phillips was when he pitched over four innings of outstanding relief against Louisville in a win and was named the B1G Freshman of the Week? Well, neither of those pitchers showed up today and it got worse from there. Phillips is just a freshmen so he is still learning how to pitch at the college level, so I should cut him some slack.

Actually, we hit the ball pretty well for an average with UK outhitting us just 14 to 12, but the free passes by our pitchers as well as the WPs, put more punch into the Wildcats hits. IU was 12 for 38 for .316 while UK was 13 for 38 for .378. IU actually tied UK in extra base hits with six apiece, although UK had four homers to our two homers.

Mathison: 3 for 4 with a double and homer, 2 RBIs and a run scored.
Goforth: 2 for 4 with a double and homer, 2 RBIs and 2 runs scored.
Glasser was 2 for 5 and scored a run.
Taylor was 1 for 2 and had an RBI.
Tibbitts and Serruto both had doubles.

IU had one error to no errors for UK. Goforth had a pretty good game starting for Cerny both at the plate and in the field, and he was involved in an early DP which was big at the time.

Not one pitcher we used had a good game and they all gave up multiple earned runs. Here's their stats:

Seiler: 1.1 IP, 4 hits to include a homer, 4 runs all earned, no Ks, 1 BB, and 3 hit batters.

Phillips: 1.2 IP, no hits, 2 runs both earned, 1 K, 1 BB, 1 WP, and 4 hit batters.

Hayden: 3.0 IP, 5 hits to include a double and homer, 3 runs with 2 runs earned, 1 K, 1 BB, and 2 WPs.

Hellman: 0.0 IP, 1 hit, 3 runs all earned, no Ks, 1 BB, 2 WPs, and 1 hit batter.

Vega: 3.0 IP, 4 hits to include a double and 2 homers, 4 runs all earned, 3 Ks, no BBs, and 1 hit batter.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT