ADVERTISEMENT

Just for the sake of it........

MoyeSwatsBoozer

All-American
Oct 9, 2007
What's IU record in the last 10 years in 1 possession games?

It's been a slow process but it's getting better, but this will be a hard one to sit on for several months. Sign that man to an extension before you get on that plane tonight and continue the process, please.

I completely disagree. I wouldn't be eager at all to extend Wilson. We played a head coach less MD team and an incompetent PU team to reach a bowl. The special teams and defense have shown no improvement during Wilson's tenure and it was obvious tonight. IU lost to a mediocre (at best) Duke team tonight, giving up over 500 total yards.

Reactions: WisslerIII
I completely disagree. I wouldn't be eager at all to extend Wilson. We played a head coach less MD team and an incompetent PU team to reach a bowl. The special teams and defense have shown no improvement during Wilson's tenure and it was obvious tonight. IU lost to a mediocre (at best) Duke team tonight, giving up over 500 total yards.
And I disagree. No way in hell do I want to start over. The football program has shown progress, there's no denying that. Not saying Wilson is the football god, but he has shown that we can compete and we are getting better. What we saw tonight is what we have seen all season. I'm rolling the dice with KW. I don't want to dismantle and start over again. I can't handle that again.

And I disagree. No way in hell do I want to start over. The football program has shown progress, there's no denying that. Not saying Wilson is the football god, but he has shown that we can compete and we are getting better. What we saw tonight is what we have seen all season. I'm rolling the dice with KW. I don't want to dismantle and start over again. I can't handle that again.

Agreed. When Kevin Wilson leaves this program one day it will be a much more desirable job for quality coaches and be in a much better place than when he showed up in Bloomington.

Reactions: muubell

I'm not even saying that we necessarily fire Wilson know. I'm just not eager to extend his contract. IU is being lead by a man who was a former offensive coordinator -- years into his tenure we still can't defend and our special teams are awful. It may be years before we get to another bowl, considering we take a huge hit offensively next year.

I'm not even saying that we necessarily fire Wilson know. I'm just not eager to extend his contract. IU is being lead by a man who was a former offensive coordinator -- years into his tenure we still can't defend and our special teams are awful. It may be years before we get to another bowl, considering we take a huge hit offensively next year.

Meant to type "now".

What's IU record in the last 10 years in 1 possession games?

It's been a slow process but it's getting better, but this will be a hard one to sit on for several months. Sign that man to an extension before you get on that plane tonight and continue the process, please.

What if Wilson has plateaued? I wouldn't assume anything in the Big Ten, and IU has a long, long way to go on defense. As much as I'd like Wilson to be the next Bill McCartney or even Hayden Fry, odds are Wilson would have shown it by now.

Ummm...the special teams has been pretty solid all year. Yesterday was poor, yes. You can't let him dangle with just two years left. The fact that so many of our fans think this is a good option shows how little our fans understand college football.

Reactions: Irregulars
Also, Duke has been to 4 straight bowls, won 8 this year, and won 10 a year or two ago. This talk of how crappy they are is ridiculous.

LOL our special teams are hardly awful. There must be a ton of teams with "awful" special teams play...

What if Wilson has plateaued? I wouldn't assume anything in the Big Ten, and IU has a long, long way to go on defense. As much as I'd like Wilson to be the next Bill McCartney or even Hayden Fry, odds are Wilson would have shown it by now.

This thought can certainly be challenged. Wilson inherited a program devoid of talent, a culture of not caring and a history of being the worst program in CFB. You have brought up Dantonio in other posts and he has done well but Michigan State has a FSR better history than IU and Michigan has shot itself in the foot allowing for greater success. John L even had decent teams there.

I'd like to see a two year extension with a two year option.

Well, Matt has said several times that it isn't helping, so yes.
I ask because you've consistently admonished fans here for saying that recruiting doesn't seem to be going well, and now you seem to have changed your view. Was curious if you thought the contract status was a cause. By the way, I'll be shocked if he isn't extended soon, as he should be.

THE kicker was All-Conference. Was yesterday your first game?

Special teams are awful? What imaginary football team have you watched all year??

Recruiting seems to be going pretty decent and KW has earned my trust to ignore ratings. How in the hell is somebody going to say a kid is the 19th best any position in the country? It's impossible.

The kicker was All-Conference and the punter was okay. The coverage teams were average and need to improve but that is where all the injuries hurt the depth.

We either extend or let him go. He can't recruit with only 2 years left.

i agree that Wilson deserves more time. (which i also thought regarding Pont, Corso, Cam, and Lynch),

and while IU did seem seem to be "on the brink" at times this yr, let's not confuse what Wilson has done with a Fitzgerald type situation. were he's irreplaceable.

but contracts seem to often be totally one sided these days. and very questionably negotiated from the school's pov.

you can give him an 8 yr, heck, 10 yrs if you wish, to show to recruits.

the yrs on a contract don't mean squat if things go south, it's the "buyout" that matters.

you can give an 8 yr extension, with a buyout the equivalent of 2 yrs pay.

i also don't think you need to give a lot more money either. if CFW can't make due with a mil plus a yr, there's always food stamps.

if a raise is needed to fend off another suitor at some time, cross that bridge when you come to it.

imo, $ can be better spent at this time to further the program in other ways, than throwing it at someone already swimming in it, who already is fairly compensated.

give him an extension, but don't paint yourself into a corner you can't get out of if you need to, with some ridiculous buyout like we did with CTC.

and looking at it from the other side, if a coach wants to leave, they seem to have no problem doing so regardless of contract situation, so why get into a one sided commitment.

I agree that Wilson should stay here because we will not be able to bring in anyone better because we don't pay coaches very well.

Why are people not noticing Indiana is making a rise while the big ten is at its best in over a decade. Let's not lose sight of where we came from. Indiana was garbage in a garbage conference. Now we are in the toughest conference in football and the toughest division to that yet we are still progressing? I mean come on, to deny what Wilson has done is proving you will not look at the big picture.

Why are people not noticing Indiana is making a rise while the big ten is at its best in over a decade. Let's not lose sight of where we came from. Indiana was garbage in a garbage conference. Now we are in the toughest conference in football and the toughest division to that yet we are still progressing? I mean come on, to deny what Wilson has done is proving you will not look at the big picture.
I agree that Wilson has done a very good job and he should stay but to me we will always finish 5th or lower in our division of the big ten no matter who is coaching.

I agree that Wilson has done a very good job and he should stay but to me we will always finish 5th or lower in our division of the big ten no matter who is coaching.

You aren't the only one who thinks that and I don't blame you one bit. We have been burnt by elevated expectations in the past so just like a scorned woman from past relationship failures, we like to protect ourselves from the inevitable pain. ha No but we seriously went to double OT with Michigan and had a chance to win vs OSU on the last TD pass of the game. That's not even counting the Iowa game. MSU is playing for a national title (just like OSU could be) and we competed with them most of the game. Of course that won't change the outcomes of those games but it shows progress. It's hard to see if you look only at the record but in the past Indiana might have one close game against a big opponent but that MSU game would be about as close as we'd ever get. Then we would get blown out in a lot of our losses. We're now competing in every single game and not getting blown out in ANY game. It sounds crazy but we really are improving drastically.

Last edited:
That's a very good point and I had not actually thought about it in those terms. I was already feeling better about the program and now feel even more so.

That's a very good point and I had not actually thought about it in those terms. I was already feeling better about the program and now feel even more so.

Thanks, I mean there's a reason we beat Missouri out of conference. People think the Western Kentucky win this year was just "alright" but they went on to only lose one more game (@ LSU) and other than that had no regular season game closer than 16 points. Most were wins by 25+. They even won the Miami Beach Bowl over South Florida by 10. Indiana was a REALLY good team and the nation is starting to see that. The next question will be around the Lagow. If he can slide into the immense amount of talent around him and keep things clicking, we will improve defensively and our wins/losses will begin reflecting the work even more.

i agree that Wilson deserves more time. (which i also thought regarding Pont, Corso, Cam, and Lynch),

and while IU did seem seem to be "on the brink" at times this yr, let's not confuse what Wilson has done with a Fitzgerald type situation. were he's irreplaceable.

but contracts seem to often be totally one sided these days. and very questionably negotiated from the school's pov.

you can give him an 8 yr, heck, 10 yrs if you wish, to show to recruits.

the yrs on a contract don't mean squat if things go south, it's the "buyout" that matters.

you can give an 8 yr extension, with a buyout the equivalent of 2 yrs pay.

i also don't think you need to give a lot more money either. if CFW can't make due with a mil plus a yr, there's always food stamps.

if a raise is needed to fend off another suitor at some time, cross that bridge when you come to it.

imo, $ can be better spent at this time to further the program in other ways, than throwing it at someone already swimming in it, who already is fairly compensated.

give him an extension, but don't paint yourself into a corner you can't get out of if you need to, with some ridiculous buyout like we did with CTC.

and looking at it from the other side, if a coach wants to leave, they seem to have no problem doing so regardless of contract situation, so why get into a one sided commitment.

Here is the thing with buy outs. They are generally two sided to protect both parties. Crean's contract, and Alford's with UCLA are designed to help with protection of assets or income. Without that clause, the income isn't a big deal. With the improvements made within the program by CKW, it would be easy to see another suitor in the next few years and IMHO, a buy out would be appropriate. It will cost the University money to replace him (and quite a bit of invisible income) if and when the time comes.

If CKW isn't given a raise, he will surely be gone and it's not a bridge to cross when we come to it, but rather to cross now. Not doing so is an insult to the man. The allocation for assistants and coordinators should be increased as well. The best example of not keeping up with the times with regards to spending is in West Lafayette where a once decent program has fallen upon hard times and much ot its fan base is distraught because they don't see an AD with the propensity to improve the situation for their coach or any other who may follow.

We have a lot of money in the coffers and even more after this TV revenue deal is signed. Allocating raises for the entire coaching staff TODAY is a must. With that being said, I have no doubt Fred and Kevin are in talks to get things completed. I don't think there's any concern on either side, just working through the details.

Thanks, I mean there's a reason we beat Missouri out of conference. People think the Western Kentucky win this year was just "alright" but they went on to only lose one more game (@ LSU) and other than that had no regular season game closer than 16 points. Most were wins by 25+. They even won the Miami Beach Bowl over South Florida by 10. Indiana was a REALLY good team and the nation is starting to see that. The next question will be around the Lagow. If he can slide into the immense amount of talent around him and keep things clicking, we will improve defensively and our wins/losses will begin reflecting the work even more.

First off kudo's for the unbridled optimism. You make me feel like "Debbie Downer" but I will still make a few comments:
*Agree with you that Lagow is a huge key as we need the offense to continue to put the entire team on their backs.
*I agree we continue to improve but think that calling us REALLY good is a stretch. Two years ago the Missouri game was a great win, as you point out, but we also lost to Bowling Green and then 7 BT games in a row until we beat one- win PU.
*If we were really good this year we would have beaten Rutgers, PSU and Duke. I do not think a team is really good when their signature win is against WKU and their only conference victories are against horrible teams that only won 1 conference game.
*it will be hard to be really good until the D improves.
*No doubt there was improvement and it was great to watch close losses rather than blow-outs. Hopefully Lagow can adequately fill-in and lead us to 6 or 7 wins and another bowl game.

First off kudo's for the unbridled optimism. You make me feel like "Debbie Downer" but I will still make a few comments:
*Agree with you that Lagow is a huge key as we need the offense to continue to put the entire team on their backs.
*I agree we continue to improve but think that calling us REALLY good is a stretch. Two years ago the Missouri game was a great win, as you point out, but we also lost to Bowling Green and then 7 BT games in a row until we beat one- win PU.
I understand we lost 7 BT games but we were also without anything close to resembling a QB. Prior to losing the QB we were who we thought we were. :)
*If we were really good this year we would have beaten Rutgers, PSU and Duke. I do not think a team is really good when their signature win is against WKU and their only conference victories are against horrible teams that only won 1 conference game.
This year we weren't really good. We were highly improved and on pace to be really good next season.
*it will be hard to be really good until the D improves.
We just need the D to improve a tiny bit which comes with a product of being more veteran. Indiana will be that next year and a small uptick will allow us to be a lot better.
*No doubt there was improvement and it was great to watch close losses rather than blow-outs. Hopefully Lagow can adequately fill-in and lead us to 6 or 7 wins and another bowl game.

Reactions: JCHoosier
I really don't understand the unbridled optimism for Lagow. He is an unproven JC QB who selected the ONLY Power 5 offer he received. We keep saying on here, so and so had interest in Lagow, but very few made offers, I don't understand thinking he is the guy. He could get beat out, he may not be very competitive. OK St. was competitive and he left........

I really don't understand the unbridled optimism for Lagow. He is an unproven JC QB who selected the ONLY Power 5 offer he received. We keep saying on here, so and so had interest in Lagow, but very few made offers, I don't understand thinking he is the guy. He could get beat out, he may not be very competitive. OK St. was competitive and he left........

To me, my optimism isn't as much about Lagow as much as it is for the immense amount of weapons he has around him. Patrick, Harris, Cobbs, Jones, Paige, Redding, great OL. I mean he has everything imaginable. I think this kid will be just fine.

Reactions: tpaige

Give me the #1 (or #2) rated JUCO QB...out of a spread-master Texas HS, over any highly regarded Freshman. This isn't a freshman with those offers...it's a kid that has shown success since HS. Maybe like Howard coming in last year.

If you watch his tape he has the arm and our coaches can have a spring with him. We needed an older player in the mix. I trust our coaches scouting ability to pick a QB.

Sorry if this is addressed elsewhere, but what happened with Majette? Did he play against Duke?
I did not see him but I am not certain why he did not play.
He was on the sideline.

I like his quickness and he is almost the same size as DR.
I hope he gets a shot next year.

Reactions: tpaige
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT