ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson has to be the starter, right?

I have been saying for years IU needs to shorten games not speed them up.
I have little faith it will happen with Allen and Bell in charge.
KW didn’t try to shorten games per se, but he relied on a ground first attack that sought to win TOP, and our offensive results showed how well that can work.

If Jackson was the starter it would be really easy to announce. He should have been the obvious choice. The delay and secrecy make me think it's Sorsby.
If it's sorsby why wouldn't they announce that? Doesn't Allen do this every year? He keeps everything secret for the first game.

I don't think this staff has any confidence in their ability to pick a starter.

If they are both performing about the same in practice, you,'ve got to go with the intangibles - how do they lead the team, their confidence, who has the most confidence of the team, etc.

Either that or they're so afraid of hurting feelings that they string it out - that makes it worse, imo.
I don't really agree with that. I think they're giving Jackson every opportunity to show himself to be something that he isn't yet.
I think past history has to give you some doubts about identifying talent. Dexter and Jaylin didn't see the field for a long time last year. Plus one OL who I can't remember his name. And also when to pull a guy when it's time like our QB last year.

I think past history has to give you some doubts about identifying talent. Dexter and Jaylin didn't see the field for a long time last year. Plus one OL who I can't remember his name. And also when to pull a guy when it's time like our QB last year.
That's what I mean - they can't have much confidence in their ability to identify QB talent after the last couple years.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If it's sorsby why wouldn't they announce that? Doesn't Allen do this every year? He keeps everything secret for the first game.
I answered that to someone else.....because I think they're waiting as long as they can for Jackson to take the job.

Sorsby must be a great practice player, going in ahead of Dexter Williams last year against Penn State somehow, but he looked quite shaky in that game.
If Jackson isn't the starter, I think that's a bad sign. That said I believe both QBs will play against Ohio State, Sorsby being in at garbage time.
NO! He starts IF he earns it. Worst case scenario, garbage time starts in the third quarter.

I don’t disagree. But I think the transfer portal changes the calculus on all of this. You never know what they tell these guys to get them here. Just MHO.

I’m not either
Having a head coach essentially turn over one side of the ball to a coordinator and the position coaches is a precarious practice under the best of circumstances, so we shouldn’t be surprised that the results haven’t been very good.

So CTA has made his decision on the starting QB, but of course he isn’t saying anything. At least they are giving the winner a lot of time to prep for OSU.

I’m less concerned about who the starting QB is than about how often that player will be running for his life behind IU’s offensive line, especially in Game 1.

I’m not one of those people who assumes or expects that, just because CTA hired Bostad, IU,s problems with its OL play are now totally—or even mostly—fixed. At Wisky Bostad was working with more talented, higher-rated players and coaching them in a more traditional, mostly “non-Spread” blocking system.

IMO It remains to be seen how well Bell and Bostad can mesh, particularly when IU has to open its season one more time against tOSU instead of someone like, say, Indiana State or Akron.

Sorsby got basically murdered in his short stint in that PSU game.
I can't imagine taking anything meaningful away from how he looked there.
Didn’t he miss his senior year of football due to injury? So his first live football in two years as a true freshman against that Penn State team? Some people just don’t have a brain.

Didn’t he miss his senior year of football due to injury? So his first live football in two years as a true freshman against that Penn State team? Some people just don’t have a brain.
I think what makes him suspect is his performance in his first game and and Dexter's performance in his first game.

Dexter just looked more in control, and was effective. Sorsby was like a deer in the headlights.

I hope whoever gets the job, they'll be more prepared. If it's Sorsby, so be it. At this point, no one except the team and staff knows who looks better in practice.

I think what makes him suspect is his performance in his first game and and Dexter's performance in his first game.

Dexter just looked more in control, and was effective. Sorsby was like a deer in the headlights.

I hope whoever gets the job, they'll be more prepared. If it's Sorsby, so be it. At this point, no one except the team and staff knows who looks better in practice.
I agree with what you have said here DANC. Practice often doesn't show the best player so I hope Bell doesn't stick with the wrong choice too long like last year

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT