ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson has to be the starter, right?

I heard Sorsby was ahead of Tayven in the spring, so yes, it was a real contest.
Sorsby should have been ahead in the Spring. He had a year to learn the offense and practice. For it to be basically equal says that Jackson has caught up with Sorsby. The job was Sorsby's for the taking. He may have a low ceiling and a be a career back up.

I had hoped Jackson would pull away and get significant time practicing as the #1. I'm a believer that you decide on your starter and build confidence. Allen is too busy trying to keep a secret. Remember the first play last year? It was a throw behind the LOS that got blown up and a player nearly knocked out of the game. It really fooled the defense! I thought it would have taught Allen a lesson. We aren't so good that it matters to OSU who starts.

Sorsby should have been ahead in the Spring. He had a year to learn the offense and practice. For it to be basically equal says that Jackson has caught up with Sorsby. The job was Sorsby's for the taking. He may have a low ceiling and a be a career back up.

I had hoped Jackson would pull away and get significant time practicing as the #1. I'm a believer that you decide on your starter and build confidence. Allen is too busy trying to keep a secret. Remember the first play last year? It was a throw behind the LOS that got blown up and a player nearly knocked out of the game. It really fooled the defense! I thought it would have taught Allen a lesson. We aren't so good that it matters to OSU who starts.
Yeah that keeping the secret thing is ridiculous. As if it will give us a one up on OSU.

Illinois was waiting on that play - Bell must have used it a lot at his previous stops.

A rude introduction to the B1G for Mr. Shivers.

Later in the game we did something nearly as lethal on a screen pass to Illinois. It also caused a fumble which we recovered. It was a crucial play in the game. Noah Pierre laid out Chase Brown.

Gremel made the best decisions, and started v. Purdue (when there was no one else (really)), transferred for PT.
Our other option was McCulley, and he obviously wasn’t ready. GG at least knew a good portion of the offense. The team had been lost well before that game.

I saw a YouTube interview with Sorsby. He was in a barber chair getting a hair cut and the barber was interviewing him. Good watch. I didn't realize how little he played in high school. After listening then it made a bit more sense to me why the race may be closer even though this is his second year in the system. When you just go on his and Jackson's experience, Jackson has played more meaningful football in his HS career.

Now, you can take that one of two ways. One is if Sorsby is really keeping it that close with his limited experience then his upside may be bigger than realized. Two if Sorsby is really keeping it that close is Jackson not as good as anticipated since you would think his playing time experience would have put him ahead. I tend to think its the first and that Sorsby is growing in his development but doing it in practice when you know you aren't getting hit is different then live. I don't know who the starter will be but just hope they put the best guy out there.

I saw a YouTube interview with Sorsby. He was in a barber chair getting a hair cut and the barber was interviewing him. Good watch. I didn't realize how little he played in high school. After listening then it made a bit more sense to me why the race may be closer even though this is his second year in the system. When you just go on his and Jackson's experience, Jackson has played more meaningful football in his HS career.

Now, you can take that one of two ways. One is if Sorsby is really keeping it that close with his limited experience then his upside may be bigger than realized. Two if Sorsby is really keeping it that close is Jackson not as good as anticipated since you would think his playing time experience would have put him ahead. I tend to think its the first and that Sorsby is growing in his development but doing it in practice when you know you aren't getting hit is different then live. I don't know who the starter will be but just hope they put the best guy out there.
They will play the guy they think gives them the best chance to win until he doesn’t.

I have talked about this before, but if it is Sors, let’s hope it is because he had really developed and not because Jackson Isn’t performing.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Sorsby must be a great practice player, going in ahead of Dexter Williams last year against Penn State somehow, but he looked quite shaky in that game.
If Jackson isn't the starter, I think that's a bad sign. That said I believe both QBs will play against Ohio State, Sorsby being in at

If Jackson was the starter it would be really easy to announce. He should have been the obvious choice. The delay and secrecy make me think it's Sorsby.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If Jackson was the starter it would be really easy to announce. He should have been the obvious choice. The delay and secrecy make me think it's Sorsby.
I don't think this staff has any confidence in their ability to pick a starter.

If they are both performing about the same in practice, you,'ve got to go with the intangibles - how do they lead the team, their confidence, who has the most confidence of the team, etc.

Either that or they're so afraid of hurting feelings that they string it out - that makes it worse, imo.

Whoever starts need to be extremely self-confident, resilient, and capable of quickly flushing it if/when things go south. It's a long season, and this is just one game.

Curious as to why you are always curious when someone makes any kind of statement here.

You could just say "I disagree and here's why", but you always challenge without stating an opinion of your own.

Just a helpful hint for you to stop being a jerk to others.
Was simply trying to understand why he / she felt as she did. No need for someone like you to intervene.

If they are both performing about the same in practice, you,'ve got to go with the intangibles - how do they lead the team, their confidence, who has the most confidence of the team, etc.

Either that or they're so afraid of hurting feelings that they string it out - that makes it worse, imo.
Why do you think the staff lacks the confidence in their ability to name a starter? Nothing out there to even remotely suggest this accurate.

I don't really agree with that. I think they're giving Jackson every opportunity to show himself to be something that he isn't yet.

Why do you think the staff lacks the confidence in their ability to name a starter? Nothing out there to even remotely suggest this accurate.
I also don't think it's that unusual to wait to name a starting QB at the start of the season. I understand fans want to know, but what's the benefit for IU naming the starter now? I'm sure they know who it is and are just keeping it close to the vest. Fans wanting to know versus them knowing are two completely different situations. CTA even said, the starter will get the majority of the snaps in practice the last two weeks, which is now.

Reactions: midwolfe
I also don't think it's that unusual to wait to name a starting QB at the start of the season. I understand fans want to know, but what's the benefit for IU naming the starter now? I'm sure they know who it is and are just keeping it close to the vest. Fans wanting to know versus them knowing are two completely different situations. CTA even said, the starter will get the majority of the snaps in practice the last two weeks, which is now.
Yep, not sure why this is an issue for anyone other than we’re all curious as to who will start. There’s no advantage to naming a starter purely so the public knows.

Reactions: Hoosier009
Yep, not sure why this is an issue for anyone other than we’re all curious as to who will start. There’s no advantage to naming a starter purely so the public knows.
Announcing also puts more "media" attention and possible distractions on that guy. Both have enough to deal with considering it will be their first start, at home, and against OSU. Fans clamoring to know doesn't make it the right decision to announce now or show a lack of confidence in the staff. When it's all said and done, both are so inexperienced I doubt it's going to make a huge difference unless the "better" player is not grasping the offense as well as the other.

I must be down on Sorsby more than everybody else. I know Penn St. last year was a tough situation, but Sorsby looked way overmatched, while Williams didn't. Just didn't look like he could play at that level.

Reactions: DANC
I must be down on Sorsby more than everybody else. I know Penn St. last year was a tough situation, but Sorsby looked way overmatched, while Williams didn't. Just didn't look like he could play at that level.
Deer-in-the-headlights

Reactions: grammy2
well, Williams isn't an option right now. And it's been a year. And you've not see TJ in a similar situation.

Everyone was pretty geeked about Sorsby when we signed him. I think one series in his career under those circumstances is a bit much to have decided his fate at this point.

Reactions: 76-1 and Hoosier009
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT