ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana High School Boys Basketball AP Polls 1-31-23; Ben Davis Is The Last Undefeted Team In The State

Jayhoosier83

Junior
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2017
New Palestine, the other undefeated team, lost to Lawrence North last night.

Here's this week's ranked teams' head-to-head games:

Tonight

2A #5 University (12-1) vs
3A #12 Chatard (11-5)

Thursday

3A #9 Brebeuf (10-5) vs
1A #8 Lutheran (9-5)

4A #11 Carmel (11-6) vs
4A #12 Lawrence North (13-3)

1A #4 Loogootee (11-5) vs
1A #2 Orleans (14-2)

3A #4 North Daviess (16-3) vs
1A #1 Bloomfield (15-3)

1A #12 Traders Point Christian (12-3) vs University

2A #15 Wabash (13-4) vs
3A #11 Tippecanoe Valley (13-3)

Saturday

North Daviess vs
3A #13 Connersville (12-4)

2A #17 Park Tudor (10-5) vs Brebeuf

Last edited:
Here's the link to the Tippecanoe Valley vs Wabash game on Thursday

Tippecanoe Valley's Stephen Akase might be someone to watch going forward. He's a Freshman Forward averaging 5 PPG and 4 RPG and looks like he gets better every game.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Here's the link to the Tippecanoe Valley vs Wabash game on Thursday

Tippecanoe Valley's Stephen Akase might be someone to watch going forward. He's a Freshman Forward averaging 5 PPG and 4 RPG and looks like he gets better every game.

I actually saw a couple of Tippy's games and thought Akase looked promising. BTW, Valley has a player named Kiser who is the cousin I believe of Jack Kiser who was Mr. Football and was a linebacker at Notre Dame.

I actually saw a couple of Tippy's games and thought Akase looked promising. BTW, Valley has a player named Kiser who is the cousin I believe of Jack Kiser who was Mr. Football and was a linebacker at Notre Dame.
When I was a senior in high school at Northwestern 21/22 years ago there was a kid a couple of years younger than me named Kiser who was a pretty good QB and basketball player. Guessing he's related to the other two somehow since they're all from the same general area (Howard, Cass, Fulton counties). Found out that former Mr. Basketball Kyle Guy's cousin plays for Chatard while watching the game against University yesterday.

Reactions: VanPastorMan
In addition to watching Stephen Akase for Tippecanoe Valley, also watch Trevor Daughtry, Grant Ford, and Izaak Wright (not D-1 level, just good players) for Wabash. Wright and Ford are both Top 25 in the state in 3 pointers made, Ford is #4 and Wright is #25, and both shoot over 40% from 3 point range (Wright 45%, Ford 43%). Wabash is good at getting steals and likes to run after forcing turnovers, with Daughtry leading the way.

Last edited:
When I was a senior in high school at Northwestern 21/22 years ago there was a kid a couple of years younger than me named Kiser who was a pretty good QB and basketball player. Guessing he's related to the other two somehow since they're all from the same general area (Howard, Cass, Fulton counties). Found out that former Mr. Basketball Kyle Guy's cousin plays for Chatard while watching the game against University yesterday.
I lived in the Peru/Kokomo area until 97 when I went to Chicago to study for the ministry. What was the name of that 7 foot player for Kokomo? He would have graduated in around 96 or so. I remember people speculating if he was college worthy.

I lived in the Peru/Kokomo area until 97 when I went to Chicago to study for the ministry. What was the name of that 7 foot player for Kokomo? He would have graduated in around 96 or so. I remember people speculating if he was college worthy.
Not really sure about the 7 footer, but Lee Coomler, Herman Moore (went on to play football at IU), and Joe Thatcher (who'd go on to pitch for the San Diego Padres and Arizona Diamondbacks) were all playing for Kokomo around that time.

Great ending to the Bloomfield-North Daviess game in 2 OT

Huge win for Bloomfield! That means a lot to those folks. Greene County Sports is run by Greg Orman. He is a great guy. Greg had a heart attack some months ago and missed some time. I emailed to find out how he was doing and ended up talking to his wife. She gave me his cell phone number and I texted him. He responded. It is good to have Greg back doing games.

Several games last night needed OT/multiple OTs to decide a winner:

Bloomfield 49
North Daviess 47 2OT

Argos 50
Triton 45 OT

Bellmont 71
East Noble 63 2OT

Forest Park 82
Evansville Mater Dei 77 OT

Hamilton Southeastern 44
Franklin Central 40 OT

North Vermillion 77
South Vermillion 70 2OT

Orleans 62
Loogootee 58 4OT

Plymouth 57
Goshen 51 OT

South Ripley 80
Southwestern (Hanover) 72 OT

Taylor 65
Eastern (Greentown) 56 2OT

Great ending to the Bloomfield-North Daviess game in 2 OT

For anyone still wondering why N. Daviess chose to move up to 3A ( after enrollment reclassification from 1A barely placed them into 2A). The 2A level in southern Indiana is loaded with really good teams this year. There are going to be some brutal sectionals, and every game from the regional on is likely to be a dogfight. i don't know if ND has the depth to advance far in the 3A field, but they will likely not face any stiffer competition through the semistate than they would at 2A.

I really like this freshman from Mt. Vernon named Julian Smith. He is a 6'0" guard who can shoot it. Noblesville has a freshman #10 Justin Curry. I like his length and defense. He shot it a bit.
Interestingly, Mt. Vernon starts 3 freshmen and a sophomore. They could be really good in a few years.

I really like this freshman from Mt. Vernon named Julian Smith. He is a 6'0" guard who can shoot it. Noblesville has a freshman #10 Justin Curry. I like his length and defense. He shot it a bit.
Interestingly, Mt. Vernon starts 3 freshmen and a sophomore. They could be really good in a few years.
Know what you mean about Curry, came across this tweet about him a couple of months ago. Definitely has some talent https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/t...on-at-the-game-last-night.227585/post-3624829

Link to University vs Heritage Christian game (2:00 PM):

University is #38 in the state in Defensive Average (45 PPG). Sabien Cain is averaging 20 PPG and it should be interesting seeing him match up against Purdue commit Myles Colvin

Link to Tippecanoe Valley vs Maconaquah (2:30 PM)

Maconaquah's Bauer Maple is #3 in the state in Scoring (27.6 PPG), #1 in the state in Steals (5.3 SPG), and Sophomore Josiah Ball (18 PPG) is another one to watch. The Braves are #2 in the state in Team Scoring Average (74.2 PPG).
Tippecanoe Valley is tied for #26 in the state in Defensive Average (44.35 PPG).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT