ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Fever - Caitlin Clark

Where do you see the Caitlin Clark effect taking the WNBA

• Total voters
Because men would rather watch men - it's a product with superior athletes for nearly every sport. And we don't give a shit about the pay disparity - that's a feminist gripe. And most feminists aren't avid watchers and supporters of women's athletics.
Fortunately all men aren’t like you. I don’t think you know shit about whether activists are avid watchers or not. If you only care about superior athletes , then you wouldn’t watch college and only NBA. You’ve said you have zero interest and that is fine, but plenty of men go to IU women’s games, so not sure you actually have your finger on the pulse. What does pay disparity have to do with watching games? We are well aware you could care less… again, all men aren’t you.

I think you might want to simply let them grow knowledge from the grass roots level. No need to combat it, they simply don't get it yet. YET.
The ladies game is a good product to watch now. They'll come around. Buy WNBA stock now !!!
Joe got a like!!! 😎

• Haha
Reactions: UncleMark
Fortunately all men aren’t like you. I don’t think you know shit about whether activists are avid watchers or not. If you only care about superior athletes , then you wouldn’t watch college and only NBA. You’ve said you have zero interest and that is fine, but plenty of men go to IU women’s games, so not sure you actually have your finger on the pulse. What does pay disparity have to do with watching games? We are well aware you could care less… again, all men aren’t you.

If enough were avid watchers, we wouldn't have women whining all over the place about pay disparities. They would be going to the games and supporting their team. Shit, if even 1/2 the number of women gave a shit as men, advertisers would be crawling all over themselves to get into women's leagues since women are gullible af and buy whatever is explicitly pushed or subtlety implied.

I watch college because they care more. The best college male player would dominate the WNBA.

Sorry you hate biology.

umm
My 30 year old nephew asked for a Caitlin jersey for his birthday
30 YEAR old? Is IU_hickory your nephew?

Everything else... The womens game is making up ground FAST, to being an enjoyable product. I've started watch several College, NOT just IU, womens games the last few years. There is some quality ball !
I've never watched the Fever, but I also have not watched 3 pacer games since REggie was here.
(NOT POLITICAL) they a Trump or McMann who totally understand marketing, to drive their product.

Any time I hear about women's bball I can't help but go back to this clip of two Power 5 teams:
Even Rice's highlights showed a huge brick that missed everything. So could troll like that for the men by cherry picking in the same way.

This classic, though:

Reactions: BradStevens
Tim Priller would dominate the WNBA…
tim-priller.gif

Why? Do women not watch and support men , college, the NBA? Why should it be up to women?
How do women support men's sports? If they go to games it is probably because their guys are going. Now that is admirable but not the same thing as being a fan themselves. The bottom line is women generally are not into sports as much as men.

• Haha
Reactions: zeke4ahs
If enough were avid watchers, we wouldn't have women whining all over the place about pay disparities. They would be going to the games and supporting their team. Shit, if even 1/2 the number of women gave a shit as men, advertisers would be crawling all over themselves to get into women's leagues since women are gullible af and buy whatever is explicitly pushed or subtlety implied.

I watch college because they care more. The best college male player would dominate the WNBA.

Sorry you hate biology.
The best HS male player would dominate the WNBA. I enjoyed watching some IU women's BB this year, mainly because they were successful, but I would never tune into a WNBA game it just doesn't interest me. I also can't speak for all males, but the one's I know would never tune in there is just no interest nor is there loyalty to any WNBA team.

I was watching Diana Taurasi talking shit about Clark and I thought, I don't even know who you play for nor any WNBA player.

The best HS male player would dominate the WNBA. I enjoyed watching some IU women's BB this year, mainly because they were successful, but I would never tune into a WNBA game it just doesn't interest me. I also can't speak for all males, but the one's I know would never tune in there is just no interest nor is there loyalty to any WNBA team.

I was watching Diana Taurasi talking shit about Clark and I thought, I don't even know who you play for nor any WNBA player.
I think in talking about this, it’s interesting why we follow the sports teams we do (related to the NIL discussion's).

Let me admit that “good basketball” is played by women. If it’s anything like the girls sports I have coached, they are generally speaking more coachable, less selfish, and more likely to do the little things right. So they can run an offense well , etc. if you are a true bball nerd , this might excite you. The vast majority of people (and TV viewers) are not.

If you want to be wowed by athleticism, you want the NBA.

For most, though, we cheer on a team because we have done so our whole lives. It’s a part of us and it’s a tribal affiliation. It just isn’t with the women because it wasn’t in the past. I see it harder, for this reason, for the WNBA to catch on. WCB has a built in advantage that people will care just because it’s their school and they have at least a little interest to get them started in watching the team.

But not many want to watch a league of mercenaries who aren’t as good as high school boys, I don’t think.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I think in talking about this, it’s interesting why we follow the sports teams we do (related to the NIL discussion's).

Let me admit that “good basketball” is played by women. If it’s anything like the girls sports I have coached, they are generally speaking more coachable, less selfish, and more likely to do the little things right. So they can run an offense well , etc. if you are a true bball nerd , this might excite you. The vast majority of people (and TV viewers) are not.

If you want to be wowed by athleticism, you want the NBA.

For most, though, we cheer on a team because we have done so our whole lives. It’s a part of us and it’s a tribal affiliation. It just isn’t with the women because it wasn’t in the past. I see it harder, for this reason, for the WNBA to catch on. WCB has a built in advantage that people will care just because it’s their school and they have at least a little interest to get them started in watching the team.

But not many want to watch a league of mercenaries who aren’t as good as high school boys, I don’t think.

I get some people are concerned about the athleticism. But for me, I like good competition. Be it pro, college, high school, I just like a good game. In the rare years the IU men are good, I don't like the cupcake games. A 35 point IU game that isn't even that close doesn't interest me. Yet when my kids were young and we got there for there 7PM game and the 6PM game was winding down, if it was a good close game it didn't bother me that they were 11, it was fun to watch.

Back before kids, I would like to look at Friday night high school games, find one that looked good, and go. Two teams I've never seen before, but that didn't matter. The energy of the crowd and a good game made it exciting. I couldn't do that once we had kids, and haven't started back. I should.

I like NBA less than college or high school partly because the energy of the crowd isn't the same. At least not until the playoffs. And the NBA's lax rule interpretations. One of the bloopers in that reel was Westbrook literally carrying the ball to halfcourt without trying to dribble. Once he crossed over without dribbling, the ref called travel.

But the NBA picks up once the playoffs start.

Reactions: BradStevens
I enjoy a women's game now and then. But it's just too obvious the difference in skill and physical ability to be something I ohh, and ahh over.

Now, women's tennis. I don't know why the difference, but the high skill level stands fine on it's own, it doesn't show up as "wow, they can't power the ball as hard as men" or "they run and cut slower than the men", it just stands 100% fine on it's own. So I can sit down and watch hours of a women's match.

But I don't know why basketball looks so slow and awkward while tennis doesn't. I enjoy the basketball in shorter doses. But unlike a women's tennis major, I'm not going to schedule watching a playoff game, except maybe the Hoosiers.

I watch women's billiards too, but in that case they are nearly equal with the best of the men anyway.

I enjoy a women's game now and then. But it's just too obvious the difference in skill and physical ability to be something I ohh, and ahh over.

Now, women's tennis. I don't know why the difference, but the high skill level stands fine on it's own, it doesn't show up as "wow, they can't power the ball as hard as men" or "they run and cut slower than the men", it just stands 100% fine on it's own. So I can sit down and watch hours of a women's match.

But I don't know why basketball looks so slow and awkward while tennis doesn't. I enjoy the basketball in shorter doses. But unlike a women's tennis major, I'm not going to schedule watching a playoff game, except maybe the Hoosiers.

I watch women's billiards too, but in that case they are nearly equal with the best of the men anyway.
Men's tennis lacks rallies. Maybe going back to wooden rackets would help.

I don’t know about slow… I saw many women’s games in the 80’s and even 90’s this year. Many teams play at a pretty fast pace.

How do women support men's sports? If they go to games it is probably because their guys are going. Now that is admirable but not the same thing as being a fan themselves. The bottom line is women generally are not into sports as much as men.
Oh my God. You live in the 50’s. Women don’t like sports, they are too busy in the kitchen baking for their fellows. Seriously???

Sorry you hate biology.
I’m laughing because it seems like a lot of guys are triggered that a female is the most talked about athlete in the country right now. It will be ok fellows.

I’m laughing because it seems like a lot of guys are triggered that a female is the most talked about athlete in the country right now. It will be ok fellows.
And a lot of women are triggered and media is triggered, that her salary isn't the same as men. Triggered to the point that it's apparently someone's fault.
It will be OK ladies.

• Love
Reactions: jet812
And a lot of women are triggered and media is triggered, that her salary isn't the same as men. Triggered to the point that it's apparently someone's fault.
It will be OK ladies.
Bingo, the only reason she is the "most talked about athlete" is because of the media and it's incessive nature to keep it relevant even though the season is over.

They should be hyping Elly De La Cruz he is on fire right now.

Bingo, the only reason she is the "most talked about athlete" is because of the media and it's incessive nature to keep it relevant even though the season is over.

They should be hyping Elly De La Cruz he is on fire right now.
The reason she is the most talked about athlete is because she is transcendent in Women's basketball. We've never seen a woman regularly taking and making logo threes. Best female shooter ever bar none. She's essentially the female Steph Curry.

Women's basketball, while generally unwatchable, was made watchable if she was playing.

She's also caused controversy because some of the women athletes with more melanin have taken it upon themselves to denigrate her.

Reactions: jet812
The reason she is the most talked about athlete is because she is transcendent in Women's basketball. We've never seen a woman regularly taking and making logo threes. Best female shooter ever bar none. She's essentially the female Steph Curry.

Women's basketball, while generally unwatchable, was made watchable if she was playing.

She's also caused controversy because some of the women athletes with more melanin have taken it upon themselves to denigrate her.
If you say so, I remember the days of Candiace Parker at UT and she in her time transcended the women's game only it was not as talked about because there was no social media.

De La Cruz has a chance at his young age to do historical things in MLB.

If you say so, I remember the days of Candiace Parker at UT and she in her time transcended the women's game only it was not as talked about because there was no social media.

De La Cruz has a chance at his young age to do historical things in MLB.
Sadly it will be for the Dodgers or Yankees. But for now it is great the most exciting player is a Red.

True, I’ve never seen a male college player drain shots out as far as she does, unless it was an old clip of Pete Maravich from 50 years ago.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

Sorry you hate biology.
I've been enjoying watching women's college basketball the last couple of years. They have some really good players, usually play well fundamentally and some pretty amazing 3 point shooters. Clark is all around amazing. Her assists are often incredible.

All that said, it wouldn't take the best men's college basketball player to dominate. You could pick almost any player on a D1 bench and put him on a women's D1 team and he'd be the best player. The women play well below the rim. A male player would dominate on the inside and beat most every female player down the court after every defensive rebound. I doubt most male players are better at 3s than Clark though!

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

And she has nothing on T Swift's hype because women don't support her.

True, I’ve never seen a male college player drain shots out as far as she does, unless it was an old clip of Pete Maravich from 50 years ago.
Because they don't have to shoot that far out. I'm betting there are countless men who could hit those shots if needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT