ADVERTISEMENT

Grace Berger … living the dream with the Fever

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
I don’t think we can be thankful enough for what Grace did for IU WBB … I didn’t know that this reward, a Fever roster spot … was a dream job for Grace.

https://247sports.com/college/india...s-WNBA-and-Fever-debut-will-have-t-210503815/

"Just seeing her growth in two weeks has been amazing," Fever rookie center Aliyah Boston said. "I'm not gonna tell you everything that we do in practice, but there's been some stuff where you just see Grace that hooper that you saw in college that gets to her spot, can hit that mid-range shot. It's amazing to be on this journey with her."

Berger's on-court talent isn't the only component garnering high praise, though. As the lone in-state product she's from Louisville but played five years at IU and grew up a Fever fan Berger has helped to raise the Fever's profile on a larger scale.

"She's taking on so much influence in the state (of Indiana) that it's amazing," Fever guard Kelsey Mitchell said. "And the best thing about it is that she hasn't even tapped into everything that she brings to the table. So I look forward to playing with G-Baby and everything she's going to bring to the table for us."

As of now, Berger might not have many opportunities to showcase her full skillset early this season with the Fever, which is to be expected for most young players. But the chance to live out her childhood dream, well, Berger can't help but crack a smile.

So as she stands outside of the Fever's locker room, long after Gainbridge Fieldhouse has cleared out for the night, still in full uniform, with sweat pouring down her face, Berger is filled with gratitude.

"It's awesome. It's a dream come true," Berger said. "This is obviously the highest you can get in this sport."

Nice post.
She was the only player not to get in the first game. That worries me but too early to know anything.
I only look at fever stuff because of Grace. Likely I am not alone.

Nice post.
She was the only player not to get in the first game. That worries me but too early to know anything.
I only look at fever stuff because of Grace. Likely I am not alone.
Grace can introduce the WNBA to a lot of people in central Indiana.

I watched the last half of the Fever Atlanta game. Only reason was to see Grace.
Grace played 7 minutes and had three points (her first pro points). Three other Fever players did not get in the game.
Fairly exciting game with lead changes at the end.

Reactions: TomEric4756
I have watched several Fever games just to see Grace.
She seems to get beat defensively off the dribble and then has to guard from the side as her man drives to the hoop. I worry that her speed may not be what is needed. However, maybe it is just an adjustment to how fast the first step is in the pros. And, of course, she is a rookie.
I really think she may need to add a three point shot.

I have watched several Fever games just to see Grace.
She seems to get beat defensively off the dribble and then has to guard from the side as her man drives to the hoop. I worry that her speed may not be what is needed. However, maybe it is just an adjustment to how fast the first step is in the pros. And, of course, she is a rookie.
I really think she may need to add a three point shot.
Agree, her 3 pt efficiency needs to be better to stay in the wnba

She must be doing something right as she is getting more playing time….or the coach is trying everything to win games

She must be doing something right as she is getting more playing time….or the coach is trying everything to win games
I do not know the coach nor her strategy. Grace has played double minutes lately. Lexi Hull was out for a bit and Grace played some of those minutes.
The fever website is poor and they are not put on tv much. Improvement there would help.

I do not know the coach nor her strategy. Grace has played double minutes lately. Lexi Hull was out for a bit and Grace played some of those minutes.
The fever website is poor and they are not put on tv much. Improvement there would help.
Man, I'm going to miss Berger and am afraid even with all the experience returning, that the Lady Hoosiers will too. She was an all-timer for that team and coach. Moren's Steve Alford?

Man, I'm going to miss Berger and am afraid even with all the experience returning, that the Lady Hoosiers will too. She was an all-timer for that team and coach. Moren's Steve Alford?
Interesting comparison. Might be right. I may have to go back and try and find some film.
I think that those of us who follow IUWBB felt we underachieved the last week or two of the season.
We know what we have in our likely starting 5 (Mac, Syd, Yardon, Sarah, Chloe). I am not sure how much better Mac can get, maybe shoot from 5-10 feet with a fade away jumper?
Hopefully Sara’s 3 pt shot returns. I have confidence in Chloe at PG.
Who will make a big jump? Any guesses? Lily, Lex, Hanna?

Reactions: kkott
Interesting comparison. Might be right. I may have to go back and try and find some film.
I think that those of us who follow IUWBB felt we underachieved the last week or two of the season.
We know what we have in our likely starting 5 (Mac, Syd, Yardon, Sarah, Chloe). I am not sure how much better Mac can get, maybe shoot from 5-10 feet with a fade away jumper?
Hopefully Sara’s 3 pt shot returns. I have confidence in Chloe at PG.
Who will make a big jump? Any guesses? Lily, Lex, Hanna?
I agree with everything you said, although wasn't sure what you were going to look at on film regarding a SA vs GB comparison? I just meant in terms of being the player that defined their tenure. Some might not even agree with SA, but to me, that's the player that I think personifies the RMK tenure at IU. Other great options: MW, IT, QB, SM, KB or CC but to me, it was Steve. I think Grace had that same sort of persona and impact for Coach Moren.

As far as a jump next year, I feel like YG has more to give. I felt like she was mostly a spot up shooter this past year and can really expand her game. Heck, she's what, 6'2"? Not sure what her rebounding #s were but I was surprised when I learned she was that tall.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
As far as a jump next year, I feel like YG has more to give. I felt like she was mostly a spot up shooter this past year and can really expand her game. Heck, she's what, 6'2"? Not sure what her rebounding #s were but I was surprised when I learned she was that tall.
Yardon is our WBB Bobby Wilkerson. She should totally own whoever guards her. And she's got a mean streak in her, too. I like a girl with some fight.

I agree with everything you said, although wasn't sure what you were going to look at on film regarding a SA vs GB comparison? I just meant in terms of being the player that defined their tenure. Some might not even agree with SA, but to me, that's the player that I think personifies the RMK tenure at IU. Other great options: MW, IT, QB, SM, KB or CC but to me, it was Steve. I think Grace had that same sort of persona and impact for Coach Moren.

Yes, agree..
The great Yardini also played for Israel in the recent FIBA series. Their team did poorly but she had practices and I think 4 games.
Next week IUWBB goes to Greece for 2 weeks (not sure how many games). They are alloted 10 extra practices.
I have seen Yardon listed as 6’2” and 6’ 3”.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Saw the Fever play against the Mystics on DC regional TV a week or so back. Berger played the whole time I watched (mid-3rd quarter to the end). She played fine and they broke their losing streak. Happy to see her playing, it was the only reason I kept watching, tbh.

Yes, agree..
The great Yardini also played for Israel in the recent FIBA series. Their team did poorly but she had practices and I think 4 games.
Next week IUWBB goes to Greece for 2 weeks (not sure how many games). They are alloted 10 extra practices.
I have seen Yardon listed as 6’2” and 6’ 3”.
Seems like the TV broadcasts always had her at 6'3". She'll get a lot better.

Reactions: Jssanto
You always hope for a jump from one of the players. On the men’s side I had hopes for Geronimo but that did not happen.
An improvement jump from one of the ladies would be great. Yardon? A guard like Henna or Lexi? A freshman? We shall see.

Grace’s season is looking up ….

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...-for-indiana-fever-wnba-teri-moren-basketball

After hardly ever seeing the court during the first half of the Fever's season, Berger has averaged 18 minutes played per night during the last 10 games. During that same 10-game stretch, she has reached double digit scoring three times and has scored a total of 60 points on 23-for-52 shooting (44.2 FG%).

In Tuesday's game, Berger's 14 points were the third most scored by any Fever player. Only Kelsey Mitchell and Aliyah Boston, who scored 21 and 18 points, respectively, outpaced her. Berger played 22 minutes total in the game, the fourth most of any player on the Fever's roster.

The fever are last. I dont watch the ladies enough to know what they need.
I always look at the box score, just to see how Grace is doing.
They are not televised on devices I use ( I dont do social media) which makes it harder.

Yardon is our WBB Bobby Wilkerson. She should totally own whoever guards her. And she's got a mean streak in her, too. I like a girl with some fight.
Any freshman girl who comes in and before the first game has the guts to post on her instagram that they “came 6,000 miles to say **** Purdue “ has got that ‘bad bitch’ mentality written all over her

Any freshman girl who comes in and before the first game has the guts to post on her instagram that they “came 6,000 miles to say **** Purdue “ has got that ‘bad bitch’ mentality written all over her
I saw that.
I was surprised as coach Moren went to Purdue. It made me wondered if she had been put up to it without that knowledge.
Regardless, I would love to see her jump again. At 6’3” with a good three point shot (45% last year) she could be a huge weapon.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...rookie-year-development-hoosiers/70834425007/

“Grace Berger came in and worked her tail off from Day 1,” coach Christie Sides said. “She came in over a week early, put in the work, waited her turn, understood.”

“You don’t know what you don’t know, coming in, so I was just bombarded with a lot of information,” Berger said. “New sets, new style of play, having to learn what coach Christie wants on the floor as the point guard, as the leader on the floor, so I think I have just grown in my confidence in that area, being able to know what she wants and execute it on the floor with my team.”

“She has all the skills,” Wheeler said. “When her confidence is high, it’s a beautiful thing to see. Just to be a vet to see her walking in, a little nervous, asking all the questions, then almost just answering her own questions eventually, as a vet that always makes me happy.”

Her late-season surge paid off , as she was named to the Associated Press All-Rookie team along with teammate and AP Rookie of the Year Aliyah Boston on Tuesday. The Fever were one of two teams to have two players on the All-Rookie list, joining Dorka Juhasz and Diamond Miller from the playoff-bound Lynx.

She will head overseas to play in the Liga Femenina — Spain’s highest professional women’s basketball league — for the Gernika KESB.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...rookie-year-development-hoosiers/70834425007/

“Grace Berger came in and worked her tail off from Day 1,” coach Christie Sides said. “She came in over a week early, put in the work, waited her turn, understood.”

“You don’t know what you don’t know, coming in, so I was just bombarded with a lot of information,” Berger said. “New sets, new style of play, having to learn what coach Christie wants on the floor as the point guard, as the leader on the floor, so I think I have just grown in my confidence in that area, being able to know what she wants and execute it on the floor with my team.”

“She has all the skills,” Wheeler said. “When her confidence is high, it’s a beautiful thing to see. Just to be a vet to see her walking in, a little nervous, asking all the questions, then almost just answering her own questions eventually, as a vet that always makes me happy.”

Her late-season surge paid off , as she was named to the Associated Press All-Rookie team along with teammate and AP Rookie of the Year Aliyah Boston on Tuesday. The Fever were one of two teams to have two players on the All-Rookie list, joining Dorka Juhasz and Diamond Miller from the playoff-bound Lynx.

She will head overseas to play in the Liga Femenina — Spain’s highest professional women’s basketball league — for the Gernika KESB.
thanks for the update. Loved watching her as a Hoosier and she was a big reason for the rise of our program. Good to hear, but doesn't surprise me at all. Always seemed like a great teammate and she knows how to play. Keep it up Grace!

Hope she makes some money in Spain. And develops her game. I am looking forward to watching her next year. My prediction/hope is she becomes stronger and more assertive.
Not being able to watch games, only see written play by play, it is hard to tell what the Fever need to improve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT