ADVERTISEMENT

In-State Recruiting

I disagree he does observe prospects games. I know for certain Xavier Booker was the 1st target he personally watched at a game. He is the due diligence of IUBB recruiting.
HC,
If he is just scouting games, that is likely allowed. I was responding to the question "off campus recruiting". If he is speaking and pitching IU to the prospects, parents, coaches etc., at games or elsewhere, then he is breaking rules.

agreed, but I also remember a time when we ran the motion offense and hit our FTs. I really don't care what state these kids come from. Just start getting kids in IU uniforms who know how to shoot the ball and rebound like their lives depended on it. Just mind boggling to watch IU, year after year, with a team full of bricklayers on the court. The rebounding during the first half of the RU game was a complete embarrassment.
Right now we have 2 issues with regards to outside shooting.

1. The obvious one is only 1 of our starters have any sort of reputation as knock down outside shooters (Kopp). And then the main subs aren't exactly Steph Curry's as well. So we're limited with our personnel to start with.

2. Beyond that though, Woody's offense isn't geared to create a ton of good outside looks. We'll likely never have a game where we "get hot" and hit 15+ 3's. That's pretty rare these days, most teams have at least a few games here and there like that. But we aren't going to, at least not this year.

Neither of those things mean we can't be a good, efficient offense though. We actually had a top 15 offense before the Rutgers atrocity. And even after that game, its still top 30.

Move the ball, continue to find multiple ways to get TJD the ball in good areas, continue to get stops defensively that lead to transition opportunities, continue to attack gaps X, JHS, Trey, etc... And when open 3's present themselves, be opportunistic and make some of them. Kansas won a natty last year playing this way. We can be that effective too. We can't have the ball die in X's hands for long stretches. We can't post TJD on a block and look for him for 10 seconds then just space away and let him work. That's how we lost games last year. That's how we lost Saturday. It leads to bad shots late in shot clocks. It leads to TJD having to force things in traffic. And it leads to out of rhythm outside shots from guys that aren't great shooters to start with.

Woody has to figure out how to recognize these things, and find certain plays, things to say, timeouts, etc... to change them mid game.

Reactions: mk30
I disagree with this. I would guess Purdue has almost always had mostly IN kids on their roster, and honestly I don't even recall that many recruiting battles with PU when RMK was here. Maybe we just didn't know, but it seemed like kids from Indy south were mostly IU kids and I think they kids themselves knew whether the could or wanted to play for RMK, but it mostly just seemed by the time we got around to offering we already knew if they were an IU or PU kid.
Yep. Another false assumption(87 had 3 indiana kids) and I believe IU got almost as many Illinois kids. Bob wanted the best kids to fit his system and a bunch of indiana kids didn’t fit that mold. He did lose a few. The 2023 class in indiana isn’t a great one but 2025?

I hope we hit the portal for some shooters and a big. Just worried Matta helped recruit more when he was here then let on to be.

I disagree with this. I would guess Purdue has almost always had mostly IN kids on their roster, and honestly I don't even recall that many recruiting battles with PU when RMK was here. Maybe we just didn't know, but it seemed like kids from Indy south were mostly IU kids and I think they kids themselves knew whether the could or wanted to play for RMK, but it mostly just seemed by the time we got around to offering we already knew if they were an IU or PU kid.
I guess that's right, but it sure seemed IU got basically anyone they wanted in the state. Big Dog was a major exception, but we got Henderson.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I guess that's right, but it sure seemed IU got basically anyone they wanted in the state. Big Dog was a major exception, but we got Henderson.
well, I think a lot of that worked itself out in the wash during the recruitment and I honestly don't think it was reported back then. But, I don't think CBK liked to be turned down either, so I think if he was told or felt a kid didn't like him or want to play for him at IU, I suspect we stopped recruiting them. No Twitter or SM back then so you generally wouldn't hear the kids side of the story like you might today.

the Region has always been a PU pipeline. Plus according to legend, didn't RMK sour on big dog when the kid plopped his feet on RMK's desk during a visit?
Don't know about Big Dog, but i heard that Shawn Kemp's IU visit was pretty dramatic. He was quite blunt about what he "wanted" and what others were offering. To RMK, to assistants... hell... to the students who were showing him around campus.

• Wow
HC,
If he is just scouting games, that is likely allowed. I was responding to the question "off campus recruiting". If he is speaking and pitching IU to the prospects, parents, coaches etc., at games or elsewhere, then he is breaking rules.
I of course don't know the recruiting rules but as the man running point for recruiting at IUBB there must be some latitude. I do know for a fact reading an article shortly after his hire he was sent to watch Xavier Booker play in a game. All I know. Thanks.

Don't know about Big Dog, but i heard that Shawn Kemp's IU visit was pretty dramatic. He was quite blunt about what he "wanted" and what others were offering. To RMK, to assistants... hell... to the students who were showing him around campus.
so then we he went to Kentucky, at least for a month and a half...when all the 'bad' stuff was going down leading to Sutton's departure and the program's near-death experience.
Had forgotten about the Kemp/Kentucky drama. Left for trying to pawn hock two of Sean Sutton's gold chains (totally $700); police report had been filed and the pawn shops were on the lookout for the chains. Some sketchy details to the story but Kemp went to Lexington when all the rules were being broken. He should have never stepped foot on IU's campus to begin with.

so then we he went to Kentucky, at least for a month and a half...when all the 'bad' stuff was going down leading to Sutton's departure and the program's near-death experience.
Had forgotten about the Kemp/Kentucky drama. Left for trying to pawn hock two of Sean Sutton's gold chains (totally $700); police report had been filed and the pawn shops were on the lookout for the chains. Some sketchy details to the story but Kemp went to Lexington when all the rules were being broken. He should have never stepped foot on IU's campus to begin with.
Probably the most talented prospect to ever play Indiana HS basketball. RMK, I'm sure, felt very compelled to get him on campus and see if there was anything that could work between he and IU. Edwards and Kemp on the same team would have been challenging, but damn...damn...

Reactions: mk30 and Crayfish57
Probably the most talented prospect to ever play Indiana HS basketball. RMK, I'm sure, felt very compelled to get him on campus and see if there was anything that could work between he and IU. Edwards and Kemp on the same team would have been challenging, but damn...damn...
Kemp was probably the best HS player I ever saw play in person or on TV, but I'd be hard-pressed to put him above McGinnis, Oscar or Larry. I'd definitely agree with the most athletic or electrifying. In the IN-KY all star game he was a man among boys... didn't really seem fair. I'd probably put Kemp with Big Dog after the 3 I listed though and it's hard for me to say, because I never saw those 3 play in HS.

valid points.....and that's how it was for many many years. Then.....came Luke Recker. You could feel it slipping away in the mid-late 90s, but Recker's departure was my wake-up call. The 80s/early 90s weren't coming back.
luke recker was far from the first player would couldn't take coach knight's style of coaching. he separated many a wheat from the chaff.

Kemp was probably the best HS player I ever saw play in person or on TV, but I'd be hard-pressed to put him above McGinnis, Oscar or Larry. I'd definitely agree with the most athletic or electrifying. In the IN-KY all star game he was a man among boys... didn't really seem fair. I'd probably put Kemp with Big Dog after the 3 I listed though and it's hard for me to say, because I never saw those 3 play in HS.
HS coach was an idiot. I went to HS with him a few yrs ahead. Bird is a much better player total career but HS talent? Not sure he wouldve gotten in to IU either. There was no one in HS that could've stopped him. Rick Fox at Warsaw was only competition and Kemp was still so much better .

Reactions: Shadesof Crimson
Kemp was among the best HS athletes I have ever seen but Alford and Bailey are the two best HE BB players I have seen in person.

HS coach was an idiot. I went to HS with him a few yrs ahead. Bird is a much better player total career but HS talent? Not sure he wouldve gotten in to IU either. There was no one in HS that could've stopped him. Rick Fox at Warsaw was only competition and Kemp was still so much better .
Jim Hahn??

Reactions: Crayfish57
I would agree with this, as I covered in another thread - Kemp would be 2nd after Big George . Fox/Bailey just behind. I was too young to see Oscar, but remember him from the Royals. Your point about limited competition for Kemp is important because as great as he was - a weak NLC made him look even better.

Forgot to mention Eric Gordon- I saw him live a few times where I went “Wow “.(But he’s still behind the group I mentioned.

Reactions: ulrey
I never saw Fox play until the IN/KY all star game and he was also a man among boys. Think they were separated by a year and not on the same all star squad, but I think Fox ended up having to sit out his entire senior season because of some eligibility issue (exchange student from Virgin Islands or something?), but he was terrific in the all star game and I thought UNC got a steal.

luke recker was far from the first player would couldn't take coach knight's style of coaching. he separated many a wheat from the chaff.
well yeah, the list is mighty long. But Recker's image was that of the prototypical IU/RMK player. Good looking Mr Basketball Indiana kid who hustled, and cared about winning. Guys like Recker didn't transfer once they got to IU. And then to learn, it wasn't just a sudden change of heart, he had been trying to escape for more than a year. Plus, it came soon after Collier leaving and Neil Reed getting run off. Just became too obvious that something was broken.

Yeah...impossible argument. When I say "most talented" I mean taking all his physical gifts into account, there's never been a more talented HS player in Indiana. Others became better because of their character, work ethic, maybe they grew physically a ton after HS...whatever. McGinnis could be the guy too though, for sure. I think Oscar and The Legend, as good and dominant as they were in HS, developed even more out of HS because of their character and work ethic. Alford and Bailey...no shot in the type of comparison I'm making.

I think what most don't give Kemp enough credit for was he could handle and shoot the ball too. I don't think there's ever been a guy like him before or since in our state. 6'10...best dunker ever in Indiana HS...fast, fluid, could handle the ball like a PG, had range out to the 3pt line. His personality tampers his talent a little bit, I think.

For me it's simple since I'm old enough for the Big O HS era, #1. Gotta give George 1A and no slight to Kemp 1B. Place those 3 however you like. Indiana HS BB produced them and that's what matters. I got a real soft spot for Damon and Skiles built on heart, resolve and determination in spades.

Reactions: mk30 and kkott
For me it's simple since I'm old enough for the Big O HS era, #1. Gotta give George 1A and notl slight to Kemp 1B. Place those 3 however you like. Indiana HS BB produced them and that's what matters. I got a real soft spot for Damon and Skiles built on heart, resolve and determination in spades.
Yeah...hard to go wrong with any of those 3. I just think Kemp was a unique blend of size, speed, skill, and athleticism. McGinnis had size, skill, athleticism...but didn't bring the ball up the court like Kemp often did, and wasn't particularly "fast". Oscar had all the things I mentioned, but wasn't as tall or as big, and not as dominant physically as Kemp. MUCH better all around player though.

McGinnis graduated HS in 1969 correct? Did Freshman play back then? Wonder if he played his Freshman year against Oscar?

Yeah...hard to go wrong with any of those 3. I just think Kemp was a unique blend of size, speed, skill, and athleticism. McGinnis had size, skill, athleticism...but didn't bring the ball up the court like Kemp often did, and wasn't particularly "fast". Oscar had all the things I mentioned, but wasn't as tall or as big, and not as dominant physically as Kemp. MUCH better all around player though.

McGinnis graduated HS in 1969 correct? Did Freshman play back then? Wonder if he played his Freshman year against Oscar?
McGinnis and Downing were both 69. Best high school team I've ever seen. Oscar is significantly older, graduated in 56. Oscar was a freshman on that Attucks team with Hallie Bryant, former Hoosier and Globetrotter.

McGinnis and Downing were both 69. Best high school team I've ever seen. Oscar is significantly older, graduated in 56. Oscar was a freshman on that Attucks team with Hallie Bryant, former Hoosier and Globetrotter.
Oh...FIFTY six. Dang. I was way off.

I'd give anything to jump in a Delorian and go back and watch 50's - 80's Indiana HS basketball games. Its pretty high on the list of things I'd do if I could time travel.

the Region has always been a PU pipeline. Plus according to legend, didn't RMK sour on big dog when the kid plopped his feet on RMK's desk during a visit?
Big Dog was a Prop 48 kid, was always going to be tough to get him here and don't think it was ever something Knight wanted to deal with. Knight soured on Kemp very quickly as well. Zach Randolph was another player that Bob Knight simply refused to recruit, he dominated both Sean May and Jeffries in the title game his senior year.

Oh...FIFTY six. Dang. I was way off.

I'd give anything to jump in a Delorian and go back and watch 50's - 80's Indiana HS basketball games. Its pretty high on the list of things I'd do if I could time travel.
I vaguely remember Oscar in high school. My dad was a teacher at Washington and they would play Attucks every year. Between Oscar and Milan, the 50's was definitely a great era of high school basketball.

Big Dog was a Prop 48 kid, was always going to be tough to get him here and don't think it was ever something Knight wanted to deal with. Knight soured on Kemp very quickly as well. Zach Randolph was another player that Bob Knight simply refused to recruit, he dominated both Sean May and Jeffries in the title game his senior year.
Both shouldn’t have guarded Randolph. May was a freshman. Bridgewaters was doing a pretty good job . He was the physical guy on that team.

East Chicago Washington in the 70s was a special team . They won state , but what I find to be really special is that 3 players from that team went to different colleges, and won a National championship. Stoddard at North Carolina State , Jr Bridgeman Louisville, and Pete Tircovich at UCLA . I doubt that will happen again .

I was able to go to the workout for the 2000 Boys All Star team which included: Jared Jeffries, Bloomington North Zach Randolph, Marion Broyd Boyd, Union (Dugger) Brett Buscher, Chesterton Blake English, Evansville North Michael Bennett, Brebeuf Jesuit Shane Power, Andrean Andre Owens, Perry Meridian Steve Drabyn LaPorte, Austin Parkinson, Northwestern John Hamilton, Greenfield-Central Aaron Thomas, Northridge John Standeford, Monrovia

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT