ADVERTISEMENT

I'm sorry Peyton

Teams prepare for the starting quarterback, not his back up. And yes, many / most have trouble adjusting to someone different. It’s a very common issue when guys get hurt and easy to see if you watch much.
Coaches prepare for the starter but are well aware of the backups and especially someone like Ramsey that has started a lot of games. I would expect they looked at the OSU and MSU games and saw Ramsey play.

The players don't adjust as quickly, but the coaches help by adjusting their play calling to the players on the field and the conditions in the game.

The coaches watch or have film breakdowns of every game. Usually the grad assistants are a week or two ahead in film breakdown. Also the coaches will make in game adjustments and the players will adjust sad soon as they receive the adjustments. Being slow to adjust and get adjustments to players will cost you games.

Let me start at first by saying yes Penix is a better athlete than Ramsey. However I believe the quarterback run game is better with PR he looks to escape the pocket and run. MP on the other hand likes to move around in the pocket to find room to throw. Secondly people claim that we see more press coverage vs PR if so then that means that we will se more two high safeties or else you take anywhere from 2-4 sets of eyes out of the backfield. So if they play cover 2 that takes a safety out of the box. If not they play man and now all you have to run those guys off. Also I believe if people truly did play press cover that would be to our benefit as we have big physical wide receivers who should be able to get off the jam.
The biggest difference is in personnel. Teams can play Ramsey with another linebacker by walking their hybrid linebacker (husky) into the box. They can play cover two man with three linebackers. They can also walk their safeties down based on the quarterback’s throwing range. Penix’s throwing range requires teams to play five cover DB’s and a speed 4-2 front. That’s much easier to run against than a heavy 4-3 front.

The biggest difference is in personnel. Teams can play Ramsey with another linebacker by walking their hybrid linebacker (husky) into the box. They can play cover two man with three linebackers. They can also walk their safeties down based on the quarterback’s throwing range. Penix’s throwing range requires teams to play five cover DB’s and a speed 4-2 front. That’s much easier to run against than a heavy 4-3 front.
So what you are saying is everyone plays a 4-2-5 against us and have hybrid like us. I am sorry that is just wrong. Most teams play a standard 4-3 or else they will play an odd front usually a 3-4. Pleas talk to someone who knows defensive football a coach whether it be high school, college or professional football and ask them if they vary alignment based on quarterbacks arm strength. They will tell that has nothing to do with alignment. Coverage determines alignment and sometimes down and distance and maybe every so often maybe speed of a receiver. I am not making this up, although I mainly coached on the offensive side of the ball, I have talked to many friends and guys that have coached for many years and laughed for if even suggesting this. Some of the guys I have consulted are my brother who has been a college defensive coordinator in college for 25 years. He has coached in 3 national championship games. Another guy has coached high school football for 25 years and won a state championship in 6A the highest class at the time in Florida. Another guy who is high school defense coordinator today in Florida. Another guy that has coached college football at Maryland, Purdue, Louisville, Oklahoma and most recently FAU. The last guy is currently the defensive coordinator for the NY Gants. I think I have a pretty good sampling and they all concur with what I am telling you.

So what you are saying is everyone plays a 4-2-5 against us and have hybrid like us. I am sorry that is just wrong. Most teams play a standard 4-3 or else they will play an odd front usually a 3-4. Pleas talk to someone who knows defensive football a coach whether it be high school, college or professional football and ask them if they vary alignment based on quarterbacks arm strength. They will tell that has nothing to do with alignment. Coverage determines alignment and sometimes down and distance and maybe every so often maybe speed of a receiver. I am not making this up, although I mainly coached on the offensive side of the ball, I have talked to many friends and guys that have coached for many years and laughed for if even suggesting this. Some of the guys I have consulted are my brother who has been a college defensive coordinator in college for 25 years. He has coached in 3 national championship games. Another guy has coached high school football for 25 years and won a state championship in 6A the highest class at the time in Florida. Another guy who is high school defense coordinator today in Florida. Another guy that has coached college football at Maryland, Purdue, Louisville, Oklahoma and most recently FAU. The last guy is currently the defensive coordinator for the NY Gants. I think I have a pretty good sampling and they all concur with what I am telling you.
Well, I guess I disagree with you and all your experts. Gone are the days when you just line up your defense and hope your coverage call works. These days defenses make personnel, scheme, and coverage adjustments between series.

Well, I guess I disagree with you and all your experts. Gone are the days when you just line up your defense and hope your coverage call works. These days defenses make personnel, scheme, and coverage adjustments between series.
Yes all of that happens actually Fromm play to play. But you do make a call and hope you have the right front and coverage called. I am not questioning that. What I am saying is that people do not change alignment based on arm strength. That is a fallacy. Yes people will play buckle and dime in certain situations for sure. Finally so far this year this year Nebraska has been an odd front playing a zero and two 3s or or a zero two 5s. They will reduce their front sometimes based on formation and sometimes field.

Yes all of that happens actually Fromm play to play. But you do make a call and hope you have the right front and coverage called. I am not questioning that. What I am saying is that people do not change alignment based on arm strength. That is a fallacy. Yes people will play buckle and dime in certain situations for sure. Finally so far this year this year Nebraska has been an odd front playing a zero and two 3s or or a zero two 5s. They will reduce their front sometimes based on formation and sometimes field.
It’s not a fallacy. Teams play Fields differently than Lewerke. You’re just wrong here.

But there is a huge difference between the guys OSU have to throw to and the guys that MSU has to throw to. So they will play different coverages that is true. That has a lot to do with it. It has nothing to do with their arm strength as you claim. It has to do with what you are trying to take away. If you are trying to stop the passing game you probably going to play man under and two high safeties. Then of course you are probably gonna get destroyed by Dobbins. Maybe you play 3?deep take away deep stuff. But now underneath stuff is open. You are not going to sit in one front or one coverage all day like the Miami Hurricanes used to 4-3 cover 2 . They told the defensive linemen that when the ball was snapped go get it and they did but those defenses had future NFL Hall Famers sitting on the beach because they others on the field. Yet had unbelievable personel.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT