ADVERTISEMENT

If we can't win 6 next year with the addition of Howard....

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all said that last year....

after one major injury, the season was sunk....

We had a 2,000 yard rusher last year...

Point being.....Let's let it play out before heaping the "win this many or else..." idea....

For Starters, We Need to Get Better at WR to Win 6

Our offense is not gonna be in "plug and play" mode Game 1.
Nate won't be able to work with our receivers for a while.
Neither will Covington.
Maybe not even in Spring practice.

We will still be "unproven" at RB.
Howard made his numbers against C-USA teams - not Big Ten.
He has an adjustment to make.
Mister is coming off knee surgery.
Graham and Redding have minimum experience.
We gotta replace Rahrig and Taylor on the OL.

WITH Murphy and Bennett, our pass defense was last in the league.
We are still a work-in-progress on dropping LB's into coverage too (although Scales had 3 picks and Gooch 1.)
Our corners and safeties MUST improve. A LOT.

Howard is a nice pick up, but we need a lot of guys to step up to make us a winner.

So. Illinois
FIU - Ron Turner and a roster full of Miami/south Florida players
Western Kentucky - Jeff Brohm/6th year record-setting QB/Howard clone at RB
at Wake Forest - road game at an ACC joint. Our record in such games is scary bad.
OSU - national champ?
at PSU - seems to be over the scandal
Rutgers - bowl
at MSU - bowl
Iowa - bowl
Michigan - Harbaugh U
at Maryland - bowl
at Purdue

8 bowl teams, plus Harbaugh U
Bucket game on the road
We need to lock our damn jaw every week
If we start thinking we are over the hump, we could go 2-10.
If we practice and play with a sense of urgency and a committed purpose, we could pull an Ali.

extend wilson's contract...

because the dude knows how to recruit. And IU desperately needs that right now. Need more depth at every position.

"I can almost guarantee..." Huh?

There are no guarantees on anything and when you read the prior post of 8 bowl eligible teams, plus new Harbaugh-led Michigan and an away game at Wake (ACC) and Bucket (anything can happen in a bucket game), it does not make for my normal optimism I thought earlier about next year actually.

That said, I am still optimistic as long as IU keeps doing the methodical things it has been doing.

I believe the new O-lineman who redshirted this year are bigger and potentially better crop than we've had in awhile (of the 6'5 315 lb variety). Believe Nate will cherish his senior year and have great focus and leadership. Believe the new WR's coming in have talent and this year's FR who played a lot will improve and not drop as many next year. And Howard & backs we have will get the job done.

Defense under Knorr continues to develop and believe we have more good talent in DB pipeline coming in with this class and a majority of last year's D returning. Believe they will continue to thrive.

So we 'SHOULD' be able to beat Wake and Purdue on the road and win the first 3 against smaller schools - which takes us to 5. Believe we can beat Rutgers or Iowa at home - which win 1 and there's 6. We "could" beat either UMich at home or MD on the road - but certainly not gimmies.

I do think IU talent level is rising, coaching is getting better and coaching always looks smarter when you have more talent. I think IU will close out with 4-5 more good recruits and this will be another good recruiting year. Those coming back are hungry to get to a bowl and turn ship around. All the signs are there.

But we've seen bad let-downs in the past and injuries at QB last 2 years in a row. So you simply never know anything until you lace them up.

But Wilson's team is recruiting well and I think better than in years prior at IU. Most fair observers would say had Nate not been injured, a high likelihood we would have hit 6 wins this year. I actually think IU can hit 7 next year, but even if worst case it is only 5, as long as not getting blown out (we didn't this year) and showing continued signs of improvement, I'm not sure Wilson shouldn't stay on. They are close to getting over the hump. Sometimes that patience is what's needed to pay off big time down the road.

If IU gets a 7 win season, you'll see more big time in-state recruits come our way and we continue to get the southern kids starting to pop already. There is no logical reason IU can't be as good as anyone else. Wilson was at Oklahoma, he knows what a top 5 program feels like. IU could be no different than Miss State or anyone else who rises with good plan.

Wilson

I can't imagine a football coach who would recruit at Indiana better than what Wilson is doing. I'm amazed how well he recruits.

I'm more than happy with what IU football is doing from December to August. It will translate into September-November soon.

I'd be tempted to take that bet

Something tells me that Wilson will not only stay but his contract will be extended for recruiting purpose. Record wise, what has he done different most other coaches at IU. He recruits better. Even Jerry Kill told Minnesota it would take him 7 years to build his program.

What not give Wilson his contracted 7 years to finish the job?

IU has to continue pouring money into the program with that schedule.

That schedule is a big boy schedule and to win those games on a yearly basis requires a MONSTER commitment from the University!! You don't win that schedule on a beer budget....

No...you can't 'almost guarantee'

Wilson's firing....it simply isn't going to happen....he is 'Fred's guy'. The team is competitive and CKW is only just getting into the players he has recruited..the first couple of years, with all of the assistant coaching changes, didn't get much forward movement. The two QB decommits haven't helped...Tevin has helped a lot, apparently....IF Glass has learned anything at all, it is that a quick firing, on top of what has happened the past 20 years, is absolutely the worst thing to do.

The record is not where it needs to be....no argument there...but the team does not quit......they stick together..good things are going to come......look at Frank Beamer at VT, and Gary Pinkel at Missou.....

It may take 5-7 years to see significant record success....IU plays in a tough league, which keeps getting tougher..

I wouldn't necessarily agree with it. But after this year we are either at extend him or fire him. It's hard to extend a guy after this many years and no bowl appearances. A lot of guys get the ship turned around in 4 or 5 years.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I Am In Favor Of Beautiful Cheerleaders and Against Green Helmets

White Block I on a crimson hat.
White football pants.
Crimson jersey

I will personally volunteer to interview and select each cheerleader.

I will also severely modify the job description.

Thanks

I was shooting for "anything that does not embarrass me," so "great" is a more-than-acceptable result.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

The cheerleaders need to be reorganized towards football during FB season

Right now their organization is basically geared towards basketball and winning cheerleader competitions and not entertaining the crowd at a football game in 2015.

You can't really start cheers at a football game in a 50k seat stadium in 2015, especially with the jumbotron blaring and band playing constantly. You don't tumble on grass. You'll typically see pretty basic cheerleading lifts and no basket tosses.

By process of elimination, you're left with a dance squad. Oregon and all the NFL teams already figured this out.

Combine the Cream/Crimson squads, the Red Steppers, the Hoosierettes (student-led ghost of the old pom squad), and get 25 or so of the best dancers and you'd see a pretty big improvement. Give them attractive outfits and add 10-12 men to lift them up sometimes.

This post was edited on 1/2 5:42 PM by Fro

We didn't win 6 this year with an All-American RB

Jordan Howard is a good recruit who got recognition in Conference USA. Hopefully, he will be as successful in the B1G. However, to win 6 will take a lot of solid performance from all parts of the team, not just the running game. I'm looking forward to Sudfeld returning and I'm looking forward to the D continuing to develop.

He has three years remaining already

If things go well this year and we have a winning season, then an extension might be in order.

I'd bet not. If we're competitive in games and he wins

at least 4 games, he's still safe.

It would take a total meltdown for him to get fired, at this point.

It's good analysis, but if we can't beat WKU, FIU, and

SIU and Wake Forest - or at least 3 our of 4 - in year 5 of the Regime, that's a sad statement in itself.

At this point, we should be winning 3 or 4 B1G games in a year. And I'll give him the QB injury this year that scotched things. But that's it - if he doesn't learn his lesson and have 3 guys ready to play at the most important position on the team, then that's on him.

Like sitting on the bench can motivate, so can the potential loss of a job. I don't want any coach too comfortable with non-winning seasons.

I sure hope he's learned enough by now, we'll find out soon enough

The last three years IU has fielded bowl teams IMO but simply didn't execute well enough to qualify. Much of the problem was one Doug Mallory, thank goodness he's gone. Coach Knorr really does appear to be a significant upgrade, too bad Wilson didn't start off with Knorr from jump street.

Wilson must beat Western Ky early on or Brohm maybe his replacement...something to chew on...

Give it a rest...

IU's best success has come wearing block I helmets... 1967 team and good Mallory teams!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT