ADVERTISEMENT

I Don't Understand All The Negativity Towards Woody

We play 2-5 more games now than in the 70s and roughly the same amount of games as the 80s. If we were to ever win the Big Ten tournament we might play 2-3 more gams than the 80s. 34 total in 79 and 35 in 81. Those numbers are basically what we play now. But each year it seemed to vary by 5 games one way or the other. But even based on win % Knight still doesn’t come close to winning 24 every year and more years than not he finished outside of the top 10.
79 and 81 had more games because they played in exempt tournaments, Sea Wolf Classic and the Rainbow Classic.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
79 and 81 had more games because they played in exempt tournaments, Sea Wolf Classic and the Rainbow Classic.
Ok. The point is still accurate. Even if you apply win % to a 35 game schedule every year Knight wasn’t close to winning 24+ and top 10 every year. And he is the best coach we have ever had. Saying Woodson should be doing that is stupid.

Yeah, but we also have posters like this who post all negativity in their very first post on a fan board. That couldn't be appealing to potential coaches.
Address the points instead of complaining about positive vs negative.

Coaches don’t care at all about random msg board opinions.

IUBB is near the top in every important metric (NIL, budget, etc. as listed). That’s a pretty positive thing to point out. We should be winning more with all these resources.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Address the points instead of complaining about positive vs negative.

Coaches don’t care at all about random msg board opinions.

IUBB is near the top in every important metric (NIL, budget, etc. as listed). That’s a pretty positive thing to point out. We should be winning more with all these resources.
That post wasn't meant to talk about all those things. It was meant as an insult to a contentless first post by a newbie. OK?

IU spends more $ on basketball (NIL, athletic department budget) than any school in the B1G, and we’re easily top-10 in the country. We have great facilities. We have one of, if not the best, home court. We have the best fans that show up everywhere. We have history and a nice campus. If we are top-10 in every resource, why is our team no where near the top-10, or even top-25? Could be NIT this year.

I’ve never understood how we do so little with so much.

Is what it is. Woody is the coach for the foreseeable future so we’ll see if he can get it going.

A lot of haters on this board. Plus fans are just tired of mediocrity, fair or not. Woody has certainly done enough to get this year and next. But he will be on a warm seat if we don’t get thing going better by next year.
Count me as someone who’s tired of mediocrity.
But also someone who dreads another coaching change.

You're in the well this happened .Or the this could happen group.
I'm in the ..No excuses win 24 games. Be a top 10 team . And around a #4 seed in the tournament guy..
That should be every yr at Indiana..
Tired of being "should" on ... given our last 10-13 years. Bring us forward! While not up to your standard, we are going forward. A few key recruits, one of which (McNeely) is in the fold, keep a few around because we're not as strong as our fanbase thinks we "should" be ... and a coach who can demonstrate the diff between JHS (1 and done) and TJD (stay another year and make it) and keep a few of those most think are gone ... build a program and win.

Ok. The point is still accurate. Even if you apply win % to a 35 game schedule every year Knight wasn’t close to winning 24+ and top 10 every year. And he is the best coach we have ever had. Saying Woodson should be doing that is stupid.
Other than changing the word stupid for unrealistic, I completely agree

Reactions: Beorik and asindc
This is my stab at it, streams of consciousness:

1) IU Men's basketball means different things to different people. Its a source of (direct) identity for many, or its only part of their lives, and not a direct representation of who they are on a daily basis.

Consequently, the results of the team have varying impacts. And the sense of pain is commonly redirected too.

2) Most of us have never been in the business of sports administration. Yet we seem to think its quite obvious what choices one makes, especially when you are blessed with a fantastic set of 20/20 hindsight vision. There are lots of amateur ADs here.

People here also tend to look at things as line item, when most don't look at it in their totality like in a spreadsheet. (Changes in one line item affect the links in the others and then possibly the bottom line.).

Choices are made based on multiple factors, from availability to budgets, personal chemistry to external factors, etc.

We just don't know, and considering that 100% of us here have never been ADs, we need the humility (or self-awareness) to know that ADs are generally smart people but sometimes have to make tough, non-obvious choices and decisions.

3) Many here have predisposed choices. So they will look for any hiccups to justify their own choices and illustrate their basketball intelligence or just plain bias. But hey, it's a forum; its all about opinions. So its generally best not to get too worked up about differing opinions.

4) We seem to be in an age of people afflicted with having only short-term memories. Whether its in the water or in society in general due to social media, I don't know.

As a result, people get triggered or forget that life isn't linear.

From my perspective, considering where we have been during the Archie Years, where I can barely remember any highlights, the current Woodie regime is a 100% upgrade. So he has earned credit in the bank, as far as I am concerned. I had said as far back as June that we have six new players who have to learn to play together. And it may not take till the end of January until it gets sorted out.

We need to have a good sense of history too, whether its in basketball, buying a car, or even politics. Then we have a better sense of perspective.

5) Considering Woodie's age, I have always had the suspicion that he was Dolson's short-term floatation device -- to stop the sinking of the programme -- arrest our obvious spiral into irrelevance.

The kids we are trying to recruit today would not have known of IU's national prominence. Hell, their parents were barely alive when we last won the last banner.

The idea of someone linked to our glorious past leading the club makes for a great story in the press and marketing. And with Woodie's NBA background, it would certainly help bringing in top recruits.

But at his age with his diminishing physical abilities, especially after a 20-year NBA career, how long can he last physically? The life of a D1 coach is pretty hectic.

This is why my theory is that Dolson is using Woodie as both a marketing tool as well as a short-term basketball solution. His role is to bring IU basketball back to national relevance, which he is doing. (Also explains the pre-season schedules.)

That's why my expectations of Woodie are more flexible than some here.

1) IU Men's basketball means different things to different people. Its a source of (direct) identity for many, or its only part of their lives, and not a direct representation of who they are on a daily basis.

Consequently, the results of the team have varying impacts. And the sense of pain is commonly redirected too.

2) Most of us have never been in the business of sports administration. Yet we seem to think its quite obvious what choices one makes, especially when you are blessed with a fantastic set of 20/20 hindsight vision. There are lots of amateur ADs here.

People here also tend to look at things as line item, when most don't look at it in their totality like in a spreadsheet. (Changes in one line item affect the links in the others and then possibly the bottom line.).

Choices are made based on multiple factors, from availability to budgets, personal chemistry to external factors, etc.

We just don't know, and considering that 100% of us here have never been ADs, we need the humility (or self-awareness) to know that ADs are generally smart people but sometimes have to make tough, non-obvious choices and decisions.

3) Many here have predisposed choices. So they will look for any hiccups to justify their own choices and illustrate their basketball intelligence or just plain bias. But hey, it's a forum; its all about opinions. So its generally best not to get too worked up about differing opinions.

4) We seem to be in an age of people afflicted with having only short-term memories. Whether its in the water or in society in general due to social media, I don't know.

From my perspective, considering where we have been during the Archie Years, where I can barely remember any highlights, the current Woodie regime is a 100% upgrade. So he has earned credit in the bank, as far as I am concerned. I had said as far back as June that we have six new players who have to learn to play together. And it may not take till the end of January until it gets sorted out.

We need to have a good sense of history too, whether its in basketball, buying a car, or even politics. Then we have a better sense of perspective.

5) Considering Woodie's age, I have always had the suspicion that he was Dolson's short-term floatation device -- to stop the sinking of the programme -- arrest our obvious spiral into irrelevance.

The kids we are trying to recruit today would not have known of IU's national prominence. Hell, their parents were barely alive when we last won the last banner.

The idea of someone linked to our glorious past leading the club makes for a great story in the press and marketing. And with Woodie's NBA background, it would certainly help bringing in top recruits.

But at his age with his diminishing physical abilities, especially after a 20-year NBA career, how long can he last physically? The life of a D1 coach is pretty hectic.

This is why my theory is that Dolson is using Woodie as both a marketing tool as well as a short-term basketball solution. His role is to bring IU basketball back to national relevance, which he is doing. (Also explains the pre-season schedules.)

Excellent write up. I especially liked “From my perspective, considering where we have been during the Archie Years, where I can barely remember any highlights, the current Woodie regime is a 100% upgrade. So he has earned credit in the bank, as far as I am concerned. I had said as far back as June that we have six new players who have to learn to play together. And it may not take till the end of January until it gets sorted out.”

Progress in any endeavor is seldom linear, no matter the amount of pent-up frustration most of us feel.

What is it with you Negative Nancies posting your pessimistic opinions as if they're facts. They might be gone, they all might return. None of us know.
How is that negative? I would be really happy if all three were on the team next year but it’s not going to happen.

Needs improvement with his handle and awareness. He's currently not even in the top 100 so ... if he goes it's most likely undrafted or late 2nd. Same with Malik ...
I do believe MM is going to keep getting better throughout the year which will put him in a position to be drafted. I’d be stoked if he comes back another year were he to keep getting better but wanting to improve his draft status. I’d be interested to see what JHS was rated in early January last year.

Think Ware will likely go. He needs strength but they have weight rooms and trainers in the NBA. MM and MR need more development and will be back

Exactly!!!! MR is the one who I could see staying. Ware to NBA, MgBako transfers
I’ve heard concerns of MM transferring from this board but it makes little sense to me. CMW holds him accountable and I do think it will pay off.

If MR stays that would be huge, because we will have to replace Ware’s production and that’s not going to be an easy feat.

I’ve heard concerns of MM transferring from this board but it makes little sense to me. CMW holds him accountable and I do think it will pay off.

If MR stays that would be huge, because we will have to replace Ware’s production and that’s not going to be an easy feat.
I don’t understand the reasoning, either.

How is that negative? I would be really happy if all three were on the team next year but it’s not going to happen.
The bolded is pessimistic speculation. It is not a fact. I honestly don’t understand how some of you cannot know the difference between facts and opinions. It’s very weird.

Last edited:

Good job.

Reactions: sglowrider

This is good stuff. And if it actually is Dolson’s plan, I think it’s a good one and I’m completely on board.

Reactions: sglowrider
The bolded is pessimistic speculation. It is not a fact. I honestly don’t understand how some of you cannot know the difference between facts and opinions. It’s very weird.
That isn't pessimism. If KW, MM, and MR all come back next year then something bad would have to happen between now and the end of the season. Wishing that to happen would be pessimistic. Hence my original statement. ONE or ALL will be gone.

The idea that a message board discussion isn't allowed opinions in your mind, is what's weird.

That isn't pessimism. If KW, MM, and MR all come back next year then something bad would have to happen between now and the end of the season. Wishing that to happen would be pessimistic. Hence my original statement. ONE or ALL will be gone.

The idea that a message board discussion isn't allowed opinions in your mind, is what's weird.
That’s a very funny post, You just don’t understand the difference between facts and opinions and definitively proved it.

Hornsby is a cardiologist here. I actually saw him to get cardiac evaluation prior to a medical procedure. Nice guy. I wonder if Fife still believes that a road exists that leads him back to IU? I would guess he's had opportunities elsewhere.
You never know. It could be that Fife’s family likes Bloomington and doesn’t want to leave for now.

There was a rumor floated that Stevens wanted to come to IU three years ago but his wife and kids absolutely did not want to leave Boston. I’m not saying I think it’s true, just saying it was going around.

Reactions: Vern Pain
You never know. It could be that Fife’s family likes Bloomington and doesn’t want to leave for now.

There was a rumor floated that Stevens wanted to come to IU three years ago but his wife and kids absolutely did not want to leave Boston. I’m not saying I think it’s true, just saying it was going around.
I'd guess that if you're in a certain social situation in Boston, nothing in Bloomington can come close to replacing it.

You're in the well this happened .Or the this could happen group.
I'm in the ..No excuses win 24 games. Be a top 10 team . And around a #4 seed in the tournament guy..
That should be every yr at Indiana..
you are impossible

24/35 =68.5%
Knights all time winning % is 70.9.

IU spends more $ on basketball (NIL, athletic department budget) than any school in the B1G, and we’re easily top-10 in the country. We have great facilities. We have one of, if not the best, home court. We have the best fans that show up everywhere. We have history and a nice campus. If we are top-10 in every resource, why is our team no where near the top-10, or even top-25? Could be NIT this year.

I’ve never understood how we do so little with so much.

Is what it is. Woody is the coach for the foreseeable future so we’ll see if he can get it going.

The ROI for IUBB has to be the worst in the country over the last 25 years. Can't think of another program that would approach it.

It would be nice if the perpetually pessimistic didn't pretend that they would like to be optimistic. It's not believable.
I'm as optimistic as you get, but also been coaching basketball for over a decade and watching college basketball for 40 years. We are not a well coached basketball team.

And for those who can't see that, I'd honestly be interested in how much college basketball you watch outside of IU games.

Woody is underachieving given the immense resources and advantages he has at IU.

- IU has the top or close to the top NIL in the B1G. Around top-10 nationally.
- IU commits the most athletic department resources to basketball in the B1G. I believe we have the largest bball budget in the B1G.
- Our facilities are very good, more or less as good as anywhere in the country
- We have an amazing homecourt
- We have incredible fan support, especially for being crappy for 30 years
- It doesn't matter much but we have a great history
- Bloomington is a very nice place 50 minutes from a midsize city and airport. Players have a great life on campus.

We have all of the above and we can barely make the tournament, and this year looks like the NIT. Next year doesn't look much better. We're in the 90s in KenPom.

If we have top-10 resources, we should be closer to a top-10 team, and we are not, at all, AT ALL, even close.

I like Woody, but it was a dumb risk by Dolson to hire an old NBA guy and hope he would instantly understand all the nuances of college ball and be a top college coach.
Writing makes you believve this? wow

Woody is underachieving given the immense resources and advantages he has at IU.

- IU has the top or close to the top NIL in the B1G. Around top-10 nationally.
- IU commits the most athletic department resources to basketball in the B1G. I believe we have the largest bball budget in the B1G.
- Our facilities are very good, more or less as good as anywhere in the country
- We have an amazing homecourt
- We have incredible fan support, especially for being crappy for 30 years
- It doesn't matter much but we have a great history
- Bloomington is a very nice place 50 minutes from a midsize city and airport. Players have a great life on campus.

We have all of the above and we can barely make the tournament, and this year looks like the NIT. Next year doesn't look much better. We're in the 90s in KenPom.

If we have top-10 resources, we should be closer to a top-10 team, and we are not, at all, AT ALL, even close.

I like Woody, but it was a dumb risk by Dolson to hire an old NBA guy and hope he would instantly understand all the nuances of college ball and be a top college coach.
Woody’s inexperience in the college game is why Dolson put Thad and Dane around him.

Thad was a one or two year deal from the get go depending on the Butler situation and Dane F’d it up.

Woody needs to hire a strong experienced college coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT