ADVERTISEMENT

HR 7024..Tax Relief

Spartans9312

All-American
Nov 11, 2004
Passed House 357-70.
Republicans 169 yay 47 nay

Opposed by WSJ editorial board, Heritage Foundation, and AEI.

Divide between old guard and new guard?

Reactions: DANC
Passed House 357-70.
Republicans 169 yay 47 nay

Opposed by WSJ editorial board, Heritage Foundation, and AEI.

Divide between old guard and new guard?

But why now? We don’t need economic growth fuel. The economy is growing better than expected and these policies are expansionary, which only adds to inflationary pressure.

We needed this stuff coming out of Obama’s tenure, not now.

But why now? We don’t need economic growth fuel. The economy is growing better than expected and these policies are expansionary, which only adds to inflationary pressure.

Why now? I think it’s indicative of where the Republican Party is headed policy wise. Nothing more than that.

Federal support for families with children polls well with all voters. That wasn’t always the case with Republicans.

I can’t speak to the economics of it like you and digressions and a few others can but I think we need to incentivize working families. It has been said that the Republicans will not govern while a Democrat is in the White House…here they have moved a bill that will give Biden a chance to sign during an election year, that is a change in procedure as well.

Why now? I think it’s indicative of where the Republican Party is headed policy wise. Nothing more than that.

Federal support for families with children polls well with all voters. That wasn’t always the case with Republicans.

I can’t speak to the economics of it like you and digressions and a few others can but I think we need to incentivize working families. It has been said that the Republicans will not govern while a Democrat is in the White House…here they have moved a bill that will give Biden a chance to sign during an election year, that is a change in procedure as well.

I don’t disagree with the idea of supporting families and encouraging them to have more children, but this really isn’t doing much. You are talking a $100-$200 increase over three years.

oxFq8lk.jpg

It’s a tiny part of the bill financially. I’m also not opposed to R&D tax credit expansion, but we don’t need policy them at stimulates right now. We need to close the deficit.

I don’t disagree with the idea of supporting families and encouraging them to have more children, but this really isn’t doing much. You are talking a $100-$200 increase over three years.

oxFq8lk.jpg

It’s a tiny part of the bill financially. I’m also not opposed to R&D tax credit expansion, but we don’t need policy them at stimulates right now. We need to close the deficit.
I am game for closing the deficit, but I do not see any serious policy proposals from either side to accomplish that task.

The expanded CTC only applies to parents that are working….which I feel is an important provision. $200 per child is nothing for you and I but for some low-income families (that are working) it will be a nice incentive.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
I am game for closing the deficit, but I do not see any serious policy proposals from either side to accomplish that task.
Looking at our current defecit and revenues/expenditures.....in my mind we'd have to first balance a budget (unlikely) and then after balancing, work on actual defecit reduction. You know, spending less and taxing more. What politician is getting elected on that platform?

I'm not sure the founders ever saw this coming. Seriously. Can our system of government even accomplish this task. The CCP could do it b/c they can just tell you to suck it and deal with it. i just don't see this Congress (or any future Congress) doing it absent some incredibly bad economic downturn.

While we're on the subject of stupidity reaching across the aisle, what about that infrastructure bill? The fed chairman said he was going to raise rates until we trimmed 3-4 million jobs.(He has since changed his tone. More on that later.)

And what does our government do? Pass a bipartisan infrastructure bill that increases jobs and puts upward pressure on wages. We've needed infrastructure spending for 40 years, and the one moment in my lifetime that we don't need it, they deliver. Smh.

"Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!"

-- Harry Dunne

While we're on the subject of stupidity reaching across the aisle, what about that infrastructure bill? The fed chairman said he was going to raise rates until we trimmed 3-4 million jobs.(He has since changed his tone. More on that later.)

And what does our government do? Pass a bipartisan infrastructure bill that increases jobs and puts upward pressure on wages. We've needed infrastructure spending for 40 years, and the one moment in my lifetime that we don't need it, they deliver. Smh.

"Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and TOTALLY REDEEM YOURSELF!"

-- Harry Dunne
Economically it wasn't the right time for an infrastructure bill, maybe.

Practically speaking though we can't keep kicking the can. Our roads, bridges, railroads, etc are a ****ing joke relative to any other country remotely close to ours in terms of wealth.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

Practically speaking though we can't keep kicking the can. Our roads, bridges, railroads, etc are a ****ing joke relative to any other country remotely close to ours in terms of wealth.
Agreed. There were plenty of projects after 40 years of neglect and not putting positive pressure on wages. The timing was impeccable.

-- Harry Dunne

You hit it on the head perfectly.

That's a valid point, but it was extra stimulus after we didn't even need Round 2, let alone Round 3 that Biden pushed hard for, post COVID. I was critical about that then and it turned out to stoke the inflation fires.

I think the point we were both making though is that the country's fiscal policy is such a mess and is rarely aligned with monetary policy - which reduces the effectiveness of each.

At least the airports are looking better...

That's a valid point, but it was extra stimulus after we didn't even need Round 2, let alone Round 3 that Biden pushed hard for, post COVID. I was critical about that then and it turned out to stoke the inflation fires.

I think the point we were both making though is that the country's fiscal policy is such a mess and is rarely aligned with monetary policy - which reduces the effectiveness of each.

At least the airports are looking better...
He ran and won on promising a bipartisan infrastructure bill. He got it done. I at least give him that. Timing was not great. Trump should have tried with his first stimulus package. Obama should have rammed a much larger one through at the beginning of his first term.

Reactions: UncleMark
Looking at our current defecit and revenues/expenditures.....in my mind we'd have to first balance a budget (unlikely) and then after balancing, work on actual defecit reduction. You know, spending less and taxing more. What politician is getting elected on that platform?

I'm not sure the founders ever saw this coming. Seriously. Can our system of government even accomplish this task. The CCP could do it b/c they can just tell you to suck it and deal with it. i just don't see this Congress (or any future Congress) doing it absent some incredibly bad economic downturn.
Oh yes, they did:

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. -- Ben Franklin​

Wanna boost the economy

Wanna help young families grow

Wanna stabilize families and communities

Pass some first time home buyer incentives.
Incentivizing demand wouldn’t be good right now. We already have supply issues with housing. The end result would be housing becomes even less affordable and an increase in wealth for those that do own homes.

Incentivizing demand wouldn’t be good right now. We already have supply issues with housing. The end result would be housing becomes even less affordable and an increase in wealth for those that do own homes.
Tax cuts are never a bad thing

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I have considered that possibility.

Supply will meet demand IMO. Many homes are being bought and built by flippers and REITS for the rental market. We need to slow down rental demand a bit. We have an entire generation that cannot get into homes.

Supply will meet demand IMO. Many homes are being bought and built by flippers and REITS for the rental market. We need to slow down rental demand a bit. We have an entire generation that cannot get into homes.

What is supplied is different from what is in demand. No one wants to build small homes on small lots that don't add up to big money. A few years back in Bton a couple dozen Habitat Houses were built in a short time in a small area in an "undesirable" part of town. I haven't driven through there in some time, but shortly after it was done it was a great little neighborhood full of you families with kids playing in the yards and riding their trikes and bikes in the street, straight out of Ozzie and Harriet. These aren't rentals, they're owner occupied and affordable for working class folks. These are the kind of things that need to be done at scale.

Edit to add link -- hope this works:

Last edited:

Is this the Democrat position?

“Pro-labor” left?

Reading thru the entire thread…She states mass immigration hasn’t hurt American workers.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
What is supplied is different from what is in demand. No one wants to build small homes on small lots that don't add up to big money. A few years back in Bton a couple dozen Habitat Houses were built in a short time in a small area in an "undesirable" part of town. I haven't driven through there in some time, but shortly after it was done it was a great little neighborhood full of you families with kids playing in the yards and riding their trikes and bikes in the street, straight out of Ozzie and Harriet. These aren't rentals, they're owner occupied and affordable for working class folks. These are the kind of things that need to be done at scale.

Pulse and Horton are building the shit out of $350k starter homes and Blackstone REIT will build 25000 starter homes in 2024 for rentals. Plenty of potential once the demand shifts.

I drive by that Habitat area every day, it is still in fine shape from what I can see .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT