ADVERTISEMENT

How much competition s UCLA for garland/Langford?

Let 'er Fly

Junior
Feb 12, 2005
UCLA has a new stunning practice facility, the glamour and weather of LA, history, a good coach (?). Any chance they go there?

I would think the long distance and relative lack of apathy from UCLA community would negate all the positives, but...?

UCLA has a new stunning practice facility, the glamour and weather of LA, history, a good coach (?). Any chance they go there?

I would think the long distance and relative lack of apathy from UCLA community would negate all the positives, but...?

UCLA has a great campus and is one of the top academic universities in the country, BUT-- it still has Alford so that negates all of that.

Reactions: IUgradman
I haven't heard any UCLA buzz with Garland or Langford. None of the insiders think they are a serious threat for either.

Last edited:
Alford is a great coach. I wouldn't trade Archie for him, but he's still an outstanding coach. He wouldn't be coaching UCLA if he wasn't. Good grief people.

He is a terrible coach. He was damn near fired after just his third season there. Lavar Ball's son bailed his ass out. They still didn't win a conference or conference tournament title and lost in the Sweet Sixteen.

I've lost track but will there be any Ball boys at UCLA next year? I'm sure Romeo/Garland want to hear Lavar spouting off about his kids should get p;laying time over them.

I've lost track but will there be any Ball boys at UCLA next year? I'm sure Romeo/Garland want to hear Lavar spouting off about his kids should get p;laying time over them.

LiAngelo Ball is a freshman there. He isn't highly ranked and doesn't look to be a one and done. LaMelo is in the class of 2019 and a five star recruit but may not be eligible because Lavar is creating a shoe line for the kid.

He is a terrible coach. He was damn near fired after just his third season there. Lavar Ball's son bailed his ass out. They still didn't win a conference or conference tournament title and lost in the Sweet Sixteen.

Tom Crean went to a Final Four....when he caught lightning in a bottle by the name of D. Wade.

Similarly, Alford is one of those coaches whose success is highly dependent on having the occasional stroke of luck. And, besides, Ball went to UCLA because of UCLA, not because of Alford.

Compare that to Gregg Marshall -- who has consistently fielded quality teams without ever landing top 10 recruits.

Alford is abysmal. He's yet to go past the Sweet 16 in like 18 years as the HC at a high major program. Hell, from 1999 to 2013 he never even made it past the 2nd round. Let that sink in.

He's also an even bigger ego maniac than Crean was and expects sh!t from everyone. Some of the stories I've heard from New Castle people would make you sick.

Some of us didn't really want to go to college close to home and parents.

Not sure whether I'd expect LA to be a friendly big city or not. Probably much different than Bloomington or Vanderbilt.

None of us know what those two really want to do.

Alford lost three NBA caliber players from that team (Ball, Leaf and the other Alford). Remains to be seen whether he has replaced them.

Alford is a great coach. I wouldn't trade Archie for him, but he's still an outstanding coach. He wouldn't be coaching UCLA if he wasn't.

Sarcasm? SA's best bball coaching achievment are the stolen millions from schools for poor results. GREAT IU LEGEND.....mediocre coach on his best day, which occured at SWMS ...

Last edited:
Wow, for a second I thought about what it would be like if we ended up hiring Alford instead. I came to in a cold sweat and sucking my thumb.......we dodged a bullet there.

Alford is abysmal. He's yet to go past the Sweet 16 in like 18 years as the HC at a high major program. Hell, from 1999 to 2013 he never even made it past the 2nd round. Let that sink in.

He's also an even bigger ego maniac than Crean was and expects sh!t from everyone. Some of the stories I've heard from New Castle people would make you sick.
I wasn't on board with hiring Alford, but like it or not he's one of our own and one of a few reasons banner #5 is hanging in those rafters. We have Archie, and the coaching search is over. Some of you need to show the man some f-ing respect. Everyone knows about the Pierce P debacle and his lack of tournament success so spare me.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT