ADVERTISEMENT

Horrible Offseason So Far

College basketball today is entirely different than it was 30 and 40 years ago. You ever stop and think that's why Purdue has been the most chronically underachieving team in the country up until this year in that same time frame? And it took a 7'4 giant from Canada of all places to buck that trend.

This is a simplistic take, to say the least.

They were one very unlikely play away from the FF in '19 v. VA, who ended up winning the NC. Their centers that year were Haarms and Trevion Williams. Other than that, they've generally lost because of choking, injury, or other circumstances. They lost with the Big Dog and C. Martin when they probably had the best team in the country. They never won it with Hummel, Johnson et al possibly because of Hummel's injury. The '69 Mount/Keller/Gillium team lost in the FF to a great UCLA team. Once they started losing there was a psychological block there you could literally feel. Edey was so good this year he was able to knock down that wall, at least for this year.

IU does recruit and target the best from the state, I'm not sure who told you otherwise? But to think IU needs to offer guys like Brian Waddell or Jack Benter or whoever simply because they're from Indiana is total nonsense. You don't need to waste scholarships on 4-5 year players who aren't going to be anything more than a 9th or 10th man in this climate of college basketball. The talent in this state fluctuates year to year, there's no quota that you MUST sign 4-5 guys a class from Indiana. Purdue does because they don't have the NIL or resources to compete with the other top programs.
I notice you use those guys vs Gillis, Smith, Loyer, Kauffman and even Furst last year

This is a simplistic take, to say the least.

They were one very unlikely play away from the FF in '19 v. VA, who ended up winning the NC. Their centers that year were Haarms and Trevion Williams. Other than that, they've generally lost because of choking, injury, or other circumstances. They lost with the Big Dog and C. Martin when they probably had the best team in the country. They never won it with Hummel, Johnson et al possibly because of Hummel's injury. The '69 Mount/Keller/Gillium team lost in the FF to a great UCLA team. Once they started losing there was a psychological block there you could literally feel. Edey was so good this year he was able to knock down that wall, at least for this year.
They lost to North Texas, St. Peter's, and Fairleigh Dickinson in 3 straight tournaments. And that's just in the last 5 years. They've laughably underachieved dating back to Gene Keady being hired in 1980 despite demanding national respect for the last two decades. It's not simplistic at all.

Reactions: nichlee
They lost to North Texas, St. Peter's, and Fairleigh Dickinson in 3 straight tournaments. And that's just in the last 5 years. They've laughably underachieved dating back to Gene Keady being hired in 1980 despite demanding national respect for the last two decades. It's not simplistic at all.
How much has IU underachieved with better ranked players?

Not really…those schools still are on the recruiting trail building relationships and getting most of their roster from high school
Point was before NIL the use shoe companies etc to pay players…. Thus the FBI investigations. We now are flexing our money legally and are gaining momentum

And have a 6 man recruiting class coming in
LOL You keep deflecting. You struggle at answering questions to your own points. You said IU has 7 new players and a late transfer coming in and that isn't the right method. Correct? Its yes or no. Then secondarily, you agree that Duke is also having a very large influx, if not more than IU coming in, correct? Yes or no.

I’m not advocating for one and done and rentals.
I would much rather recruit kids that we can develop and build around. I’m tired of PU winning and IU looking like idiots despite winning the recruiting rankings war every year. Build a team, a culture and win. I would rather watch a kid from Indiana like Braden Smith vs bringing in a one year kid from Monteverde every year.
PU won't be able to do that though. It worked because of Edey sticking around.

• Haha
Reactions: Zero Credibility
Yeah, Woody dropped the ball. Archie's "inside out" recruiting strategy was really paying dividends.

You have to be able to evaluate talent.

I don't think Matta/OSU regrets recruiting Conley and Oden. Nor Butler with Hayward, Matt Howard, and Andrew Smith.. Nor UNC with Montross & Sean May.

On the other hand, Archie probably does regret recruiting Phin and D. Anderson.

Reactions: bsmitty08
LOL You keep deflecting. You struggle at answering questions to your own points. You said IU has 7 new players and a late transfer coming in and that isn't the right method. Correct? Its yes or no. Then secondarily, you agree that Duke is also having a very large influx, if not more than IU coming in, correct? Yes or no.
One is still recruiting high school kids. We are signing 6 portal kids. See the difference?

You have to be able to evaluate talent.

I don't think Matta/OSU regrets recruiting Conley and Oden. Nor Butler with Hayward, Matt Howard, and Andrew Smith.. Nor UNC with Montross & Sean May.

On the other hand, Archie probably does regret recruiting Phin and D. Anderson.
And maybe Lander. Didn't get to stick around to experience the CJ Gunn success story. Just the narrative being put forward here having a core of 3*, maybe some 4* Indiana players is what IU needs is silly.

And maybe Lander. Didn't get to stick around to experience the CJ Gunn success story. Just the narrative being put forward here having a core of 3*, maybe some 4* Indiana players is what IU needs is silly.
You don’t think IU should build around the hot bed of talent the school is located in?

One is still recruiting high school kids. We are signing 6 portal kids. See the difference?
What is the difference if they're only going to be there for a year or two tops? That is the new era of college basketball. Give me a 22-23 year old guy over an 18 year old any day of the week.

Duke is also bringing in 3-4 portal transfers. IU has 2 right now and likely to have 3 if not 4 as well. The rest of the talent is all retained talent at IU, you don't want that? You would rather all freshmen? You're making absolutely NO sense.

Duke is also bringing in 3-4 portal transfers. IU has 2 right now and likely to have 3 if not 4 as well. The rest of the talent is all retained talent at IU, you don't want that? You would rather all freshmen? You're making absolutely NO sense.
Duke has 6 guys signed from high school
IU has 1

You think it is healthy bringing in 6 portal guys?

Duke has 6 guys signed from high school
IU has 1

You think it is healthy bringing in 6 portal guys?
6? ha You just made up a figure.

Again, IU and Duke will have the same # of portal guys coming in this year so throw the portal out of the equation in this conversation. The only difference between Duke and IU is IU has a lot of players coming back to IU from last season and Duke does not. So they are needing to build out an entire roster.

6? ha You just made up a figure.

Again, IU and Duke will have the same # of portal guys coming in this year so throw the portal out of the equation in this conversation. The only difference between Duke and IU is IU has a lot of players coming back to IU from last season and Duke does not. So they are needing to build out an entire roster.
We will see how that works for Duke I guess. And I used 6 due to number of open scholarships. We going to leave those unused?

We will see how that works for Duke I guess. And I used 6 due to number of open scholarships. We going to leave those unused?
We didn't use them all this year. Why are you then assuming next season we will?

This experiment will be over in a year.Woodson is not going to magically become a good coach over the summer.
They need to somehow keep Buckner from having any input in selecting the next coach,he had his chance and blew it.
Not sure I’ve ever seen a lazier recruiter than Woodson.
I assume he just gets up the morning and checks the names in the portal while taking a soak.
The portal should be used as a way to enhance your roster not build it.
He has zero connection with the high school coaches in Indiana.
it’s unbelievable that the fans must endure another year of his total incompetence.

• Haha
Reactions: Thcgh and Indyhorn
Was getting….Woody isn’t hitting the Indiana schools hard
So who is he overlooking in this '24 class? I don't think Flory was ever coming. Wyndham might have been good...down the road. If I'm not mistaken, you yourself said this class is weak.

For '25 I believe he's recruiting Sisley. I think he's still after Haralson. Still on the Mullins kid I believe.

• Haha
Reactions: Indyhorn
So who is he overlooking in this '24 class? I don't think Flory was ever coming. Wyndham might have been good...down the road. If I'm not mistaken, you yourself said this class is weak.

For '25 I believe he's recruiting Sisley. I think he's still after Haralson. Still on the Mullins kid I believe.
The only 3 kids in the state worth anything, maybe Stink Robinson. It's good to recruit some Indiana guys so you have connections with them down the road when/if they hit the portal after playing at a high level in a lower conference. But this idea that IU needs to sign 4-5 freshman out of the state each signing period is ludicrous.

We will see if we land them though. He hasn’t been on Sisley and Mullins hard.

The only 3 kids in the state worth anything, maybe Stink Robinson. It's good to recruit some Indiana guys so you have connections with them down the road when/if they hit the portal after playing at a high level in a lower conference. But this idea that IU needs to sign 4-5 freshman out of the state each signing period is ludicrous.
Where did I ever say each year?

I think the term "One and Done" needs to be redefined, no? Additionally, should we be tempering the expectation of developing a player over 4-5 years in the same program? I don't think we have a large enough sample size to say one way of doing things is the right way considering the fairly recent changes in the landscape and how that plays out long term.

We used 12/13 lol.
So we going to role with just (9)
Cupps, Rice, Galloway, Leal
Newton, MM, Tucker
MR, Ballo
Are you really this dense or just pretending? I clearly said IU would get 3-4 transfers, just like Duke. IU has how many right now? Do they already have 3-4? If not, then why would you make a stupid statement of 9 players on the roster. Use your head Boilermaker.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT