ADVERTISEMENT

Horrible Offseason So Far

4IUfourever

Junior
Oct 22, 2002
The season has been over for 9 days but a horrible offseason during that time.

1. Woodson wasn’t fired
2. No assistants have been let go—assuming it isn’t happening since there’s been no news.
3. No word about how Woodson will correct this mess from the AD or someone in the department.
4. Purdue is in the Sweet 16 and likely going to advance further
5. Have 6-7 spots to fill on the roster.
6. May was hired at Michigan
7. All quiet on the transfer portal. There should be a visit or 2 on the docket right now with this $6 million in NIL funds.

Am I missing anything else? Apathy is in full swing with a lack of commitment to turning this around and becoming a winning program again. It feels like IU is 4-5 years at minimum from becoming relevant again. That’s assuming the athletic department is committed to a winning attitude and mindset. And end rant.

1. Woodson wasn’t fired
2. No assistants have been let go—assuming it isn’t happening since there’s been no news.
3. No word about how Woodson will correct this mess from the AD or someone in the department.
7. All quiet on the transfer portal. There should be a visit or 2 on the docket right now with this $6 million in NIL funds.

Am I missing anything else? Apathy is in full swing with a lack of commitment to turning this around and becoming a winning program again. It feels like IU is 4-5 years at minimum from becoming relevant again. That’s assuming the athletic department is committed to a winning attitude and mindset. And end rant.
Not that I expect us to get anything great but the transfer portal and signings probably won’t start to heat up for anyone until after FF weekend

Not that I expect us to get anything great but the transfer portal and signings probably won’t start to heat up for anyone until after FF weekend
I think we could see some portal action this coming week with the first weekend done and 48 of the 64 teams out of the tourney.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion

1. Woodson wasn’t fired

👎

1. Woodson wasn’t fired

Did you add zero recruits?

1. Woodson wasn’t fired

Judge Judy Eye Roll GIF

Reactions: Thcgh
So much for getting a head start on everybody else. Maybe when Woodson gets back from his massage and cigar session from the Hawaii he will check out this portal thing.

Reactions: IUgradman
Feel like the next 24-48 hours are going to be moving day for the portal in general. Most of the NCAAT field is eliminated as is the case with the NIT. I expect a lot of programs will be having their exit interviews with its roster here in the next 48 hours.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Things are bad but the portal takes some more time. A lot of targets aren’t in there yet and the recruiting process will take a few weeks.
For a point of a reference, here is the timeline for some of the top portal transfers last year:

Hunter Dickinson: entered 3/31 and committed on 5/4
Kel'el Ware: entered 3/27 and committed on 4/10
Dalton Knecht: entered 3/23 and committed 4/21
Max Abmas: entered 4/3 and committed 4/27
Caleb Love: entered 3/27 and committed to Michigan 4/7; re-entered and committed 5/30
LJ Cryer: entered 4/3 and committed 4/9

Keep in mind that the tournament started a week later this year.

1. Woodson wasn’t fired

Yep...you left out "everybody seems to be following the script...staff and fans alike".

For a point of a reference, here is the timeline for some of the top portal transfers last year:

Caleb Love: entered 3/27 and committed to Michigan 4/7; re-entered and committed 5/30

Great data points. Thanks.

Portal is all TBD right now.

Good post. Even if that was not the case, why limit yourself to just the earliest portal entries?

1. Woodson wasn’t fired

Take a breath, dude.

I wish IU would have convinced Woodson to "retire" too, but they didn't. Grabbing 5 or 6 of the first players to jump into the portal would've been terrible strategy. LOL

Let the process play out...

I think we could see some portal action this coming week with the first weekend done and 48 of the 64 teams out of the tourney.
IIWUTM there would be no portal activity until after the NC game. Lots of these guys are still playing.

1. Woodson wasn’t fired

I thought the worst news was when Galloway and Leal said, "we're gonna run it back". My goodness are they saying we get the same season next season?

No coach trying to move up in the ranks will sign up for being an asst for a lame duck coach
No, you're wrong. First off, he's not officially a lame duck. Again, we view him that way, but not everyone will. And if a coach trying to move up can move up from a lesser school or conference and get a year at Indiana/in the Big Ten under their belt, they'll do it if they think it will help them with connections/career growth.

But most have enough ego to think "If I get this opp and can make an impact with recruiting or some other way and help them have a better year, then even better for my resume/profile."

All of these programs added staff/assistants before this season and all had head coaches who were undoubtedly on the hotseat coming into the season and have since been fired.
Vanderbilt
Okie State
DePaul
DePaul again
Ohio State

No, you're wrong. First off, he's not officially a lame duck. Again, we view him that way, but not everyone will. And if a coach trying to move up can move up from a lesser school or conference and get a year at Indiana/in the Big Ten under their belt, they'll do it if they think it will help them with connections/career growth.

But most have enough ego to think "If I get this opp and can make an impact with recruiting or some other way and help them have a better year, then even better for my resume/profile."

All of these programs added staff/assistants before this season and all had head coaches who were undoubtedly on the hotseat coming into the season and have since been fired.
Vanderbilt
Okie State
DePaul
DePaul again
Ohio State
By announcing he is returning they out a huge target on Woody. He doesn’t win next year and he will be gone. Not to mention his roster is and recruiting is a mess.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
I had no idea. Thanks, Mr. Obvious.
But you seem to be arguing against the point. Don't act like you aren't. LOL

You sound like Baghdad Bob in some of your posts. Everything is fine...nothing to see here...LOL

Schools that don't have an issue don't put out backdoor releases to their preferred journalists indicating that they're giving the coaches of their most prominant coaches another year...

But you seem to be arguing against the point. Don't act like you aren't. LOL

You sound like Baghdad Bob in some of your posts. Everything is fine...nothing to see here...LOL

Schools that don't have an issue don't put out backdoor releases to their preferred journalists indicating that they're giving the coaches of their most prominant coaches another year...
It doesn't mean we couldn't hire an assistant coach if we either create an opening or someone leaves.

Everything is not fine. It's not fine at a lot of places, but they're still able to hire decent to good staff because assistant coaches don't think like fans.

It doesn't mean we couldn't hire an assistant coach if we either create an opening or someone leaves.

Everything is not fine. It's not fine at a lot of places, but they're still able to hire decent to good staff because assistant coaches don't think like fans.
Then why hasn’t he hired good to decent already 🤷🏼‍♂️

Then why hasn’t he hired good to decent already 🤷🏼‍♂️
He (or someone did), and then said person decided to destroy his own career from the inside and got shit canned. Woody has too many 'recruiters' and not enough X/O guys. I don't know which should go, but one of the 3, at minimum, probably needs to go and be replaced with someone with head coaching experience that Woodson would actually listen to.

He (or someone did), and then said person decided to destroy his own career from the inside and got shit canned. Woody has too many 'recruiters' and not enough X/O guys. I don't know which should go, but one of the 3, at minimum, probably needs to go and be replaced with someone with head coaching experience that Woodson would actually listen to.
He doesn’t even have recruiters dude. We have zero lol

How did we get JHS, Reneau, Ware and Liam (initially)? No one recruited them? They just picked up the phone and asked if they could come here?
We have zero committed recruits for next season. They deserve an F on their performance evaluations and one or more should be fired, even if our HC is the main problem.

We have zero committed recruits for next season. They deserve an F on their performance evaluations and one or more should be fired, even if our HC is the main problem.
I don't disagree. We had one of the best....the assistant mostly made that happen. It's not his fault we lost that one.

Should we have had more than one? Hell yes.

Have we gotten nice talent in since Woody was hired? yes, up until this year.

Talent hasn't really been the issue.

I don't disagree. We had one of the best....the assistant mostly made that happen. It's not his fault we lost that one.

Should we have had more than one? Hell yes.

Have we gotten nice talent in since Woody was hired? yes, up until this year.

Talent hasn't really been the issue.
Liam had said once he committed he hadn’t heard from Woody in 3 months. Again, lazy recruiting

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT