ADVERTISEMENT

Hatton crystal ball

I went to Mass today, and briefly thought about the line-up of:
Ballo, Mgbako, Tucker, Carlyle, Rice with a 3 key 20+minute subs, 1 for each level of the offense.

Thank you to Our Lady of Guadalupe
You forgot Malik.

Reactions: kkott
I went to Mass today, and briefly thought about the line-up of:
Ballo, Mgbako, Tucker, Carlyle, Rice with a 3 key 20+minute subs, 1 for each level of the offense.

Thank you to Our Lady of Guadalupe
You went to church with basketball on your mind??? Priorities first-God,family,basketball/football.

Hatton looks like he can fit the role. Indiana guy with some ability. He's able to step out for a shot. Has the size. He's not glued to the floor. Seemed active in the highlight video I saw. I know. Don't go by highlight videos. Still, this may be the insurance IU needs as a big.

Reactions: 76-1 and edub72
Stretch center type. I like that he would bring a different look from Ballo. He runs well for his size, and gets easy baskets by cutting off the ball. I can imagine him finishing some games with the starters if Ballo struggles against a tree trunk in the post up game.

Reactions: 76-1
His best attribute is being able to start his offense at the perimeter and dribble into the middle of the paint to make a play. Ballo can’t do that.
maybe free throws too. If he shoots 75% or better, that could be a big factor too, to prevent the HackABallo strategy.

Looks like a nice foil to Ballo that gives us more flexibility depending on opponent. I wish he had a more eligibility, but not a big deal. Good work from the staff as far as one can tell before the season.

Reactions: kkott and 76-1
Looks like a nice foil to Ballo that gives us more flexibility depending on opponent. I wish he had a more eligibility, but not a big deal. Good work from the staff as far as one can tell before the season.
Woody will just get another big or two next year in the portal. AS the rules are written, I give this strategy my stamp of approval. It is what I would do.

Now if he doesn't win......No excuse.

If he does win however, a lot of people calling for him to be fired, be included, will owe him an apology.

At this point in time, I am glad he and our staff are in place. I don't think any other staff would have pulled this portal haul. Money had a lot to do with it, but so did connections and our staff.

Woody will just get another big or two next year in the portal. AS the rules are written, I give this strategy my stamp of approval. It is what I would do.

If he does win however, a lot of people calling for him to be fired, be included, will owe him an apology.

At this point in time, I am glad he and our staff are in place. I don't think any other staff would have pulled this portal haul. Money had a lot to do with it, but so did connections and our staff.
Maybe a more moveable Chris Lawson? Both 6-9/10 240. Hatton have a longer reach than Chris? I'll take it for the role he needs to fill.

Reactions: 76-1

I am right there with you Cav and would like NOTHING better than have to eat my words in regards to firing Woody.

But................ he has to win THIS COMING YEAR and I don't mean a middle of the road BT finish and a pre sweet16 exit. IMO, that equals fired.

My absolute basement would be a top 3 finish in the BT with IU being right there until the last week or two of the season and a S16 level game where even if they lose, it was a tight contested game.

In the end, Woody has top-10 resources so he should produce something close to that. This is a very expensive roster as we know.

Given how bad we were last year, and how year 2 went out with a whimper, I’m not sure he can win a conference or threaten in the tourney. Those losing streaks and blowouts came under his leadership.

But, we will see. He and the donors have revamped the roster, so now we can play with good guards! Maybe he can revamp some of the coaching weaknesses we have seen, he has the pieces in place to do it. It’s not impossible…

Well I think Woody has united the the fan base.

Woody supporters and real fans: "Look at the talent. We should be a Sweet Sixteen team this year!"
Woody doubters (real fans too): "Look at the talent. We should be a Sweet Sixteen team this year!"

I would consider myself a doubter. I will gleefully consume my portion of crow at the end of a successful season.

On3 has Hatton as the current 7th or 8th ranked unsigned center, he is though clustered with all of those centers above him except Oneyeso who is rated a tier above the others.

Around 270 ranked overall transfer

I will gladly eat crow but I have zero faith Woody wins anything.

Reactions: GThomas
In the end, Woody has top-10 resources so he should produce something close to that. This is a very expensive roster as we know.

Given how bad we were last year, and how year 2 went out with a whimper, I’m not sure he can win a conference or threaten in the tourney. Those losing streaks and blowouts came under his leadership.

But, we will see. He and the donors have revamped the roster, so now we can play with good guards! Maybe he can revamp some of the coaching weaknesses we have seen, he has the pieces in place to do it. It’s not impossible…
How much did Woody and the donors pay for the roster, and how does it compare to other programs?

What are you guessing....?

Rice: 800k?
Carlylyle: 800k?
Ballo: 1.2M
Goode: 500k?

Reneau: 1M?
Mgbako: 900k?
Tucker: 850k?
That is a lot of money. Especially if it finishes as a middle of the pack BIG10 team.

Also 500k for Goode? He average 5 pts a game

Reactions: Bucket Getter

Looks about right, would guess 750 for Gallo, 500 for Cupps and Leal as well.

Leal and Cupps would be insane to leave, what I always said! Most money they will ever make. I thought it was hilarious when people were saying Leal might leave to start a business career. He will never make as much money in business as he does right now.

Looks about right, would guess 750 for Gallo, 500 for Cupps and Leal as well.

Leal and Cupps would be insane to leave, what I always said! Most money they will ever make. I thought it was hilarious when people were saying Leal might leave to start a business career. He will never make as much money in business as he does right now.
say Cupps as an example doesn't do much next year and it becomes obvious, he is pretty much going to be a limited role player the rest of his career, will they cut his NIL or are these agreements for as long as they want to stay. I do know this 300k is on the table for next commitment that's pretty damn strong. Leal may do better than that over his lifetime a lot of successful small business owners do.

I’d estimate a little lower.

Ballo: $1M (probably didn’t quite get his ask)
Tucker/MM/MR: $750K each
Rice/Carlyle: $600K each
Gallo: $350K
Leal/Goode/Cupps: $250K each

That all adds up to around $5M, with two more adds to go. That is in line with the NIL fundraising numbers being thrown around.

I’d guess $5-6M is about tops for NIL for a basketball program. 24/7 had an article saying Kansas was the highest NIL last year spending over $4M — that seems a little low, but it’s one more data point to triangulate.

All I care about is the total spent, and we can only estimate it from data points here and there, but it’s pretty darn high.

Last edited:
I’d estimate a little lower.

Ballo: $1M (probably didn’t quite get his ask)
Tucker/MM/MR: $750K each
Rice/Carlyle: $600K each
Gallo: $350K
Leal/Goode/Cupps: $250K each

That all adds up to around $5M, with two more adds to go. That is in line with the NIL fundraising numbers be thrown around.

I’d guess $5-6M is about tops for NIL for a basketball program. 24/7 had an article saying Kansas was the highest NIL last year spending over $4M — that seems a little low, but it’s one more data point to triangulate.

All I care about is the total spent, and we can only estimate it from data points here and there, but it’s pretty darn high.

You may be right. But, I don't think there is an NIL limit right now. If Woody needed another million or two, I think there are some deep pocketed donors who would give it to him.

You may be right. But, I don't think there is an NIL limit right now. If Woody needed another million or two, I think there are some deep pocketed donors who would give it to him.
Better chance that Ballo got more than his ask. I assume these guys have agents. All of these dudes have been locked up with no other visits no other considerations. That tells me we are over paying.

Mack didn't test the NBA, Malik didn't even consider a transfer.... Ballo locked up on the visit and had plenty of suitors. Kanaan and Rice a done deal before they even stepped foot on campus. All signs point to us paying a ton.

Simon writes one check for an extra 5 million and this is all accomplished. That is an easy check to write for them.

Reactions: Pryght
I would guarantee we have promised top 5 money this year, could easily be #1 in NIL paid out.
I presume we will be top 5 most years in the future, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we were over double the next B10 team.

But, weren’t we top 5 last year too?

It’s possible. I do think we work within the NIL funds raised with only small deviations.

One other thing IU appears to have done well with our collectives is certainty of payment. The NIL deals are over a few years, and there are a lot of stories of schools coming up short on commitments — UK being one. We seem to have two years of NIL raised going into this portal, which is probably pretty good vs our peers.

And lastly there are reports IU is playing the agent game better… whatever that means I guess we learned something.

Last edited:
Better chance that Ballo got more than his ask. I assume these guys have agents. All of these dudes have been locked up with no other visits no other considerations. That tells me we are over paying.

Mack didn't test the NBA, Malik didn't even consider a transfer.... Ballo locked up on the visit and had plenty of suitors. Kanaan and Rice a done deal before they even stepped foot on campus. All signs point to us paying a ton.

Simon writes one check for an extra 5 million and this is all accomplished. That is an easy check to write for them.
You could be right. I agree we are paying a ton and likely a more than anyone else in most cases (Tucker commit another example), I just think a “ton” is a little less than some may estimate.

Ballo we might not have been the clear highest imo — Woody’s track record with big guys + fit could have helped quite a bit.

MM would have had a non-guaranteed NBA deal at best making like $50-75K… whatever the NIL amount it was going to be way better than that.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Ballo was on the market for a known 1.2 million. We landed him with ease. Tucker was looking for a payday it would seem. Malik and Mack not testing anything was most telling. Both would command high dollars in the portal. Just like rice and kanaan. I haven’t confirmed any numbers. Just reading the tea leaves.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT