ADVERTISEMENT

For those of you worried about MM leaving next year

he might but it won't be to the NBA, seriously lacking in athleticism to guard any position at the next level, good size for a spot up shooter at the d1 level. if he is realistic will stick around and collect good nil money the next 3 years from IU or someone else.
I agree. I think the NIL is the key. If you can make enough NIL then stay in school, not for the degree (that ruse is gone), but to improve your eventually draft stock.

You remember Shifino right . . . dude started out the year a bit slow and by season's end he made the Boilers look like a high school team on their own floor. As much as I would like to see MM stay another year I think it is highly unlikely if he continues to progress at his current pace; his growth game to game is obvious.

You remember Shifino right . . . dude started out the year a bit slow and by season's end he made the Boilers look like a high school team on their own floor. As much as I would like to see MM stay another year I think it is highly unlikely if he continues to progress at his current pace; his growth game to game is obvious.
those shots will start falling. We are very close to seeing a breakout. Keep shooting Mack!!

he might but it won't be to the NBA, seriously lacking in athleticism to guard any position at the next level, good size for a spot up shooter at the d1 level. if he is realistic will stick around and collect good nil money the next 3 years from IU or someone else.

not next year, no. maybe never.

but if he has good counsel, he's being told that his earning years have begun and the clock is ticking. he'll make tons being a bball player, barring injury. and by "tons" I mean way more than the average American.

People bitching about this are unAmerican and probably whined about Elvis' gyrating hips too.

I don't think he is a 1st rounder yet. He doesn't jump that well. He has to develop an inside game.

those shots will start falling. We are very close to seeing a breakout. Keep shooting Mack!!
Yeah, but I don't think his issue in the NBA will be on the offensive end. I love his shot and agree: keep shooting. But, his D is nowhere near NBA ready right now and from my cheap seat, I think another year would be a good investment and could elevate his stock.

Todd Leery had an interesting comment on his postgame last night. He said spread MM and KW out at the 3 on the wings and allow our guards to drive and kick. That would also unclog the lane for MR and give him easier options on a double team. I think they are our 2 best shooters and some little quirks like that are the best way for us to improve our 3 pt % and attempts. Get Cupps and Galloway prepared to shoot 3s every time, look for transition 3s and use the above and that's about the only way I see us being a decent shooting team.

Reactions: bdhman and .Gerdis
But, his D is nowhere near NBA ready right now and from my cheap seat, I think another year would be a good investment and could elevate his stock.
He doesn’t need to be ready. If he’s projected second round or better he’s gone. Especially if he gets the measurables.

Reactions: hozo4ultimate
He doesn’t need to be ready. If he’s projected second round or better he’s gone. Especially if he gets the measurables.
But, I don't think he has those: good but not great length and athleticism and to this point not an elite shooter and then there are the defensive questions. Too many holes to be a high draft pick imo, unless he really starts turning it on, and I think he is playing much better. I just think with KW gone next year and another year to address those things, he could go from an end of 1st rd/2nd rounder to lottery. I think it's already too late for that this year without an incredible jump. What about him do you think is exceptional for the pro game?

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
But, I don't think he has those: good but not great length and athleticism and to this point not an elite shooter and then there are the defensive questions. Too many holes to be a high draft pick imo, unless he really starts turning it on, and I think he is playing much better. I just think with KW gone next year and another year to address those things, he could go from an end of 1st rd/2nd rounder to lottery. I think it's already too late for that this year without an incredible jump. What about him do you think is exceptional for the pro game?
Are you saying that he hasn’t shown the potential to scouts yet, but you could see him jumping to a
Lottery pick if he stuck around a yr?

If the NBA scouts think that with a year of hard work he would be a lottery pick, they will want to pick him late in the first round and make him do that year of hard work under their own guidance. It's crazy to think that they can't help him improve with a 100% focus on basketball, without the time limitations of NCAA rules and the bother of going to class. He has more of an NBA body than JHS or Romeo did when they went pro, and is similar I think to OG

It’s not what “I” think. Only takes one GM/team that wants him. If he gets that feedback he’s gone. It’s really that simple. He’s starting to score at all three levels and his D is better already. He doesn’t need to be a finished product. If I’m guessing right this minute? Mid second round. If that’s the case he’s gone.

If the NBA scouts think that with a year of hard work he would be a lottery pick, they will want to pick him late in the first round and make him do that year of hard work under their own guidance. It's crazy to think that they can't help him improve with a 100% focus on basketball, without the time limitations of NCAA rules and the bother of going to class. He has more of an NBA body than JHS or Romeo did when they went pro, and is similar I think to OG
He is nothing like OG, OG was drafted for his defense and developed and offensive game.

He would be better suited playing the 4. With Ware and MR, he is kinda forced to play the 3

It’s not what “I” think. Only takes one GM/team that wants him. If he gets that feedback he’s gone. It’s really that simple. He’s starting to score at all three levels and his D is better already. He doesn’t need to be a finished product. If I’m guessing right this minute? Mid second round. If that’s the case he’s gone.
if he's mid 2nd round and goes he's nuts, would be the worst financial decision of his life, other than the taco run.

Are you saying that he hasn’t shown the potential to scouts yet, but you could see him jumping to a
Lottery pick if he stuck around a yr?
I'm saying I think that's possible with a year of good hard gym work and if KW is gone allowing more shots for him next year. I just don't think right now he does anything well enough to show it will translate to the pro game. If anything, I think his play has created more doubters.

His game reminds me of Kawai Leonard but less athletic and not as developed. MM has a great looking shot though. Just needs more time.

what is his timeline? all McD all American think they are 1 and done. has he said he is going pro no matter what. nba draft.net does not have listed in either round. Ware late 1st round
Yes…he did say it. If he says it I believe him until he says or does otherwise. Now you saying you’re sober is another thing.

He's gone if he's a mid 2nd round pick? Wow. I find that very interesting.

He is nothing like OG, OG was drafted for his defense and developed and offensive game.
yep OG was solid on defense, rebounding and an athletic freak.
I didn't catch the game last night but sounds like I would have been miserable and bailed on the game when we were still down 15 with 9 min to go. We better kick serious ass in the B1G or NCAA tourney seeding is a moot point. RIght now our tourney resume sucks.

Reactions: BigMobe
I'm saying I think that's possible with a year of good hard gym work and if KW is gone allowing more shots for him next year. I just don't think right now he does anything well enough to show it will translate to the pro game. If anything, I think his play has created more doubters.
it's hard to get more athletic, that's what will hold him back from his NBA dreams.

His game reminds me of Kawai Leonard but less athletic and not as developed. MM has a great looking shot though. Just needs more time.
great looking shot but not enough touch. threw up an o'fer last night against MS. he needs a lot of work.

I think he will eventually play in the NBA at 3. Has really good length. His shot will be elite. Moves his feet well. Has good hands. His ballhandling and court vision are good, but will get a lot better. His energy has already improved substantially. His defensive technique needs a lot of improvement. Needs more bulk and strength. Not a good finisher now, but that will get better with more strength. I see him staying 1 more year.

I think the criticism comes when we start comparing him to NBA players. Considering him as a college freshman he's doing well.

I think the criticism comes when we start comparing him to NBA players. Considering him as a college freshman he's doing well.
Definitely. That's the point: he's a good athlete in college, but nothing special at the NBA level.

That is all true but alot of these guys dont care anymore they just go and play in the G league.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Very on ious. He's get acclimated to the speed of the college game..It takes time. Just as it did for JHS. But once he figured it out....Well, we saw. Same with MM.

That is all true but alot of these guys dont care anymore they just go and play in the G league.
yeah, they don't give a shit about making 100s of million dollars, most would be content to make 50k a year in the g-league. most are probably liberals.

Yeah, but I don't think his issue in the NBA will be on the offensive end. I love his shot and agree: keep shooting. But, his D is nowhere near NBA ready right now and from my cheap seat, I think another year would be a good investment and could elevate his stock.

Todd Leery had an interesting comment on his postgame last night. He said spread MM and KW out at the 3 on the wings and allow our guards to drive and kick. That would also unclog the lane for MR and give him easier options on a double team. I think they are our 2 best shooters and some little quirks like that are the best way for us to improve our 3 pt % and attempts. Get Cupps and Galloway prepared to shoot 3s every time, look for transition 3s and use the above and that's about the only way I see us being a decent shooting team.
Ha ha...i've been pushing this strategy for 3 years...

It would have worked great with TJD and Race as well. Look at what TJD is doing right now in the NBA.

And I'm no basketball savant...its not difficult to figure out. Heck, one of the few games Woody fully embraced this wide open style, including the bigs, TJD had a triple double, and we beat a team we had struggled with for multiple seasons. And the very next game we were back to post ISOs, and double posts...

Ha ha...i've been pushing this strategy for 3 years...

It would have worked great with TJD and Race as well. Look at what TJD is doing right now in the NBA.

And I'm no basketball savant...its not difficult to figure out. Heck, one of the few games Woody fully embraced this wide open style, including the bigs, TJD had a triple double, and we beat a team we had struggled with for multiple seasons. And the very next game we were back to post ISOs, and double posts...
Ware is a WAY better shooter than Race was.

not next year, no. maybe never.

but if he has good counsel, he's being told that his earning years have begun and the clock is ticking. he'll make tons being a bball player, barring injury. and by "tons" I mean way more than the average American.

People bitching about this are unAmerican and probably whined about Elvis' gyrating hips too.
Good Lord . . . when I consider if someone is a "Good American", their position on college athletics is NOT on my list.

But, that's just me and I am comfortable with who I am.

Ware is a WAY better shooter than Race was.
Ehhh...not sure I'd say that just yet. Lets see how the season plays out a little more.

And then, it really doesn't matter anyways. TJD can't hit the broad side of a barn from the outside...but he's starting to emerge as a rotation guy in the NBA...and he isn't doing it from post ISOs. Pick and rolls, skip passes, diving to the post at opportune times, lobs at the rim, crash offensive rebounding...

He never HAD to run things the way he chose to. Its setting the IU program back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT