ADVERTISEMENT

Evansville@IU, Game 2: IU survives a disastrous 8th by the bullpen to win 6-5...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
It's a cold day with the temp at 37 in the first game of a DH, and both teams have already committed 3 errors with Evansville committing 2 of them. IU scored four runs in the 1st with Whalen getting an RBI on a single, Jessee an RBI on a double, and Ellis cranked his 11th homer of the season, a 2-run homer. IU got a leadoff walk in the 2nd, but stranded him at 2nd. Brehmer has not given up a hit through 2 IP and has walked 2 while striking out 2. His pitch count is at 42.

In the Aces 4th, Brehmer continued to pitch well and put them down in order for the second straight inning.

After striking out the first two batters, Murrison hit a ground rule double over the LF fence to put a man on 2nd and two outs. Doanes then singled up the middle to score Murrison. Doanes then scored when a fly ball by Glasser was dropped by the left fielder for UE's 3rd error of the game. IU up 6-0.

In UE's 5th, two walks sandwiched around two Ks put runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs. A pop up ended their half of the inning. Brehmer's PC is at 91 so he may be around for one more inning.

IU goes down in order in the 5th.

In the 6th, UE got their first hit off Brehmer, a double, after he got the leadoff batter to fly out. Brehmer then hit a batter to put runners on 1st and 2nd with one out. But a flyout and foul out ended the inning. Brehmer is at 111 pitches so his day is probably over with.

In IU's 6th, a leadoff walk to Jessee chased the UE starter as they bring in LHP Tyler Denu with an ERA of 9.00 in 10 IP. A single by Mathison sent Jessee to 3rd as Mathison took 2nd on the throw. Runners on 2nd and 3rd and no outs. Murrison and Doanes both struck out and Glasser grounded out to end the inning as IU blew a big chance to add to their lead after having runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs.

In the 7th, Reese Sharp relieved Brehmer. Brehmer had his second straight good outing after getting IU's lone win over Xavier and gave up just one hit while walking 4 with 5 Ks in 6 IP. Sharp has really struggled coming out of the bullpen, but he put then down in order with 2 Ks and a foul out.

In IU's 7th, IU gets a walk after two outs. but a ground out ends the inning.

In the 8th, Sharp hit the leadoff batter which is the 2nd batter to be hit today by IU and the 33rd hit batter on the season. After a flyout, Sharp gave up a 2-run homer off the scoreboard to make it 6-2. The homer was by Tanner Craig who has the only two hits of the day so far for UE. Sharp then hit another batter after the homer to put a man on first with one out. As good as Sharp was in the 7th, he has been equally as bad in the 8th so far. Sharp then gave up a double to move runners to 2nd and 3rd, with one out. Mercer has seen enough and pulls Sharp before he blows the entire 6-0 lead. In the 8th, Sharp had hit two batters and gave up a double and a 2-run homer. Mercer brought in Modugno who has struggled, and he immediately gave up a wind-aided 3-run homer to Berkey who killed IU in the first game of the series to make it 6-5 IU. An infield hit put a man on 1st with one out. IU got a much needed out when the runner on 1st attempted to steal 2nd and was thrown out by Ellis for the 2nd out and no one on. Modugno then hit a batter for the third hit batter in the inning. Mercer had seen enough of Modugno and went to the bullpen again bringing in Grant Holderfield who has been our most effective reliever but has also struggled in his last two outings. An infield hit put runners on 1st and 2nd with two outs. Holderfield then hit another batter to load the bases with two outs. It was the fourth hit batter in the inning. Holderfield finally got the last out on a K. In this inning, our bullpen gave up the following:

2 homers for 5 RBIs
1 double
2 singles
4 hit batters

IU went down in order in the 8th.

In the 9th, with all of the batters that IU faced in the 8th, UE is back to the order of the lineup that hit the two homers in the 8th. Holderfield put them down in order to win it. Holderfield left the dangerous Berkey in the on deck circle.

It was a very good outing for Brehmer who had his 2nd straight good outing as he went 6 IP and gave up just 1 hit to go along with 4 BB and 5Ks. With the exception of Holderfield, the bullpen should be declared a federal disaster area. Holderfield did hit a batter and who didn't today as all four pitchers used today accounted for 5 hit batters. I heard a stat that going into this game, IU was 0-9 in games decided by 3 runs or fewer, so they barely survived to finally win one of those.

Last edited:
Reactions: 82IU
Do we have the worst pitching staff in Division One baseball? Will definitely have to be addressed for next year. I am still hoping for arms to do better once the weather warms up. If we are having this much trouble with Mid Major hitters, I hate to see how things are going to go against the B1Gs.
On a bright note Brehmer and Holderfield did well today. Got to get the rest of the staff going in the right direction. Good thing the bats are doing well. No lead seems safe right now! VBG
Good to get a win!
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: Im4iu89
Glad to get another win. Hope we can keep building off of these last two games. I may have been a little harsh about our Pitchers. I have to keep reminding myself there are a lot of very young guys that we are throwing out there.
Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: mk30
Glad to get another win. Hope we can keep building off of these last two games. I may have been a little harsh about our Pitchers. I have to keep reminding myself there are a lot of very young guys that we are throwing out there.
Go Hoosiers!
We are 23 games into the season and we are still trying to find that third starter for the weekend rotation. We started Stahl in the last game of the series today and he lasted just 1.1 innings and with a bullpen that for the most part has been bleeding runs it was kind of scary having to have the bullpen finish out the game. I heard today that we are last in the B1G right now in giving up walks and I would be shocked if we are not the leader in hit batters. Maybe we have pitchers that don't pitch well in colder weather so maybe it will get better down the road. We certainly have enough offense to win a lot of games if we can find some consistency in our pitching.

No lead is safe right now. Guys like stahl, modugno, bothwell, sharp were pretty good last year in relief roles but have all had horrible control/ command so far. Freshmen are out pitching but aren’t perfect either. I can’t believe all of them have slid backwards together. They can’t be this bad…no where but up?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT