ADVERTISEMENT

Election results nerd thread

Uhm, what is the problem? You say ed is the solution, we still do not know the problem.

Ed rates are bad in Appalachia too, but less violence.
So move the south and west side of Chicago to West Virginia and East Kentucky? Might help the democrats win some close elections. I think the Chicago gangstas are the new machine ward healers. Used to be unions, city employees and political employees that juiced up the democratic vote . I am thinking they remain but have enlisted the gangstas (the real powers in many neighborhood) to get out the vote. And so the powers in the city hall look the other way when drug and gang violence is off the chain. Any alderman that speaks out gets shouted down and shut out of the processes of government.

So move the south and west side of Chicago to West Virginia and East Kentucky? Might help the democrats win some close elections. I think the Chicago gangstas are the new machine ward healers. Used to be unions, city employees and political employees that juiced up the democratic vote . I am thinking they remain but have enlisted the gangstas (the real powers in many neighborhood) to get out the vote. And so the powers in the city hall look the other way when drug and gang violence is off the chain. Any alderman that speaks out gets shouted down and shut out of the processes of government.
So the problem is people get the government they elect. And it is hard to overcome the hard wiring that is deep in some cultures.

I’m not buying the density argument. I regularly look at the Denver crime map and the crime rates and violent crime follow race, not density.

If you aren’t seeing black youth organized shop lifting videos, you are watching too much NBC and PBS.

Ive written about a solution often. Education. Education will give black young men alternatives to drugs and crime. African American boys are getting the shaft. And I’m not talking about more money and more ECE. We are wasting enormous potential with our crappy education. Trump and DeVos had a fix under way and the Biden brain trust shitcanned it like they did with every good idea they inherited.

You haven't answered yet, what is the cause. You say education is the solution, that isn't the same question as "what is the cause".

You haven't answered yet, what is the cause. You say education is the solution, that isn't the same question as "what is the cause".
there is no single cause. The causes are multiple and are imbedded in the hopelessness and despair found among black young men. Most of the statistical gains in black education and income are with women. I happen to believe focusing on education and the self esteem and self reliance education provides is a good first step. Positive results won’t come quickly though.

there is no single cause. The causes are multiple and are imbedded in the hopelessness and despair found among black young men. Most of the statistical gains in black education and income are with women. I happen to believe focusing on education and the self esteem and self reliance education provides is a good first step. Positive results won’t come quickly though.

OK, so we had a long back and forth where you tried to pin me down on the causes. I said in my very first reply there were many causes each contributing a few percentage points and I pointed out one example being drug violence and another being density. You quesiton both as a part of the many cause theory. Then you reply that the causes are many. What the heck dude. Why did we go through your long game when your answer is virtually identical? Do you mean to say that the drug war adds NO violence at all? None, 0, zip? Because at this moment I think you were just arguing to argue.

OK, so we had a long back and forth where you tried to pin me down on the causes. I said in my very first reply there were many causes each contributing a few percentage points and I pointed out one example being drug violence and another being density. You quesiton both as a part of the many cause theory. Then you reply that the causes are many. What the heck dude. Why did we go through your long game when your answer is virtually identical? Do you mean to say that the drug war adds NO violence at all? None, 0, zip? Because at this moment I think you were just arguing to argue.
2things. First I think your “causes” are the results of social issues (like no or poor education) and is simply another way to say it. Secondly, drugs and density arguments beg the question.

2things. First I think your “causes” are the results of social issues (like no or poor education) and is simply another way to say it. Secondly, drugs and density arguments beg the question.
No they don't, I didn't have access to the full paper or I would have used it but there is a study out on Japan's experience with higher crime rates in cities vs rural (and Japan has almost no crime anyway). If you Google it, there are higher crime rates in cities around the world. At least part of the problem is the nature of urban centers, it has to be. Or perhaps you can explain the problem by not tying in things like density.

No they don't, I didn't have access to the full paper or I would have used it but there is a study out on Japan's experience with higher crime rates in cities vs rural (and Japan has almost no crime anyway). If you Google it, there are higher crime rates in cities around the world. At least part of the problem is the nature of urban centers, it has to be. Or perhaps you can explain the problem by not tying in things like density.
I agree. But that doesn’t explain race. I know of an apartment near me that had very few black tenants. Some of those were busted and evicted for dealing drugs out of their unit. The premises is pretty high end. Anecdotal for sure, but it illustrates my point.

There are really only a couple of causes for the actions of any criminal. Lack of morals/ethics and/or lack of intelligence. Perhaps we should stop looking for unicorns when you hear hoofbeats.

Stupidity/hilarity for all political persuasions here:

“The 17-year-old son of Virginia Governor-elect Glenn Youngkin twice tried to cast a ballot on Election Day even though he is not yet eligible to vote, election officials confirm to News4. He was unsuccessful in his attempt to vote.

News4 is not naming Youngkin's son because he is a minor and has not been charged with a crime.”

It was the 17-year old son of Youngkin but we’re not going to name him because he’s a minor?!? LOL How many 17yo sons does Youngkin have?

And did the kid really think they were going to let him vote? Maybe if he tried twice?

“The 17-year-old son of Virginia Governor-elect Glenn Youngkin twice tried to cast a ballot on Election Day even though he is not yet eligible to vote, election officials confirm to News4. He was unsuccessful in his attempt to vote.

News4 is not naming Youngkin's son because he is a minor and has not been charged with a crime.”

It was the 17-year old son of Youngkin but we’re not going to name him because he’s a minor?!? LOL How many 17yo sons does Youngkin have?

And did the kid really think they were going to let him vote? Maybe if he tried twice?

Does he have a laptop?

To be fair, it's a goddamn crime we don't allow 16- and 17-year-olds to vote.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian

“The 17-year-old son of Virginia Governor-elect Glenn Youngkin twice tried to cast a ballot on Election Day even though he is not yet eligible to vote, election officials confirm to News4. He was unsuccessful in his attempt to vote."

I voted at 17 in the primary as I was going to be 18 before the general election.

There was more there than freaking Al Capone. There was a case study from NY you conveniently ignored. Tackle that one.

Here is an article with much in it on the subject:

The same trend can be seen with regards to medical marijuana. Writing in the Journal of Drug Issues, researchers analyzed violent and property crime in 11 Western states and found, “Significant drops in rates of violent crime associated with state MMLs [medical marijuana laws].” When drugs are legalized, violent crime declines.​

Simply put, there is a LOT of money in in illegal drugs. I used Denver in my example, who makes more, the distributors to Denver or the ones distributing to Estes?

Drug cartels ARE violent. They WILL kill to protect their profits. How is that at all disputable? Why are you disputing it?

What do you blame, social welfare?

Medical will continue in South Dakota but recreational legalization has been put on hold.
For someone that generally looks good...this is not a good look for Noem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT