ADVERTISEMENT

Dusty May can coach

Johnell Davis has grown into such a great player for them!! He got whatever he wanted yesterday.

A totally unranked Region product whose best offers were NIU and FAU. I don’t think Valpo even offered him.

Reactions: kkott and ulrey
Stop what? It’s not everyone’s cup of tea. Wasn’t Steven’s dream job IU?
Yes but we didn't want to hurt Crean's feelings so we let him get away from Butler. After that it was too late.

You're really making our point for us. Dolson can't let him leave FAU under any circumstances unless it's for IU.

There's a reason KU and Duke haven't fired coaches in a long time..

You are correct --Gillespie missed the NCAAT. AS did Doherty. And what did UNC and UK do after a mere two seasons?

I don't think you understand the context of my post.
Gillespie supposedly had numerous other issues, like being a total asshole and a drunk. I think UK immediately regretted hiring him and when he went 8-8 in the SEC and went to the NIT, they took the opportunity to fire BCG.

Doherty had consecutive seasons of a losing record in conference, one with no post season and one with an NIT bid.

Last edited:
Is the context, he will miss the tournament this year and we will not fire him?
Its not a difficult grasp. But I will spell it out.

Gillispe went 40-27. NCAAT/NIT----UK fired him. Hired Calipari
Doherty went 53 -43. NCAAT/NIT/Missed post season...UNC fired him. Hired Williams

Woody is 53-29. 2 NCAAT. If he JUST GETS IU to the NCAAT, IU will extend him. Even if IU endures another NCAAT beatdown.

See now the difference between how IU views basketball, opposed to the KU's, UK's and UNC's?

Gillespie supposedly had numerous other issues, like being a total asshole and a drunk. I think UK immediately regretted hiring him and when he went 8-8 in the SEC and went to the NIT, they took the opportunity to fire BCG.

Doherty had consecutive seasons of a losing record in conference, one with no post season and one with an NIT bid.
Ok....You really think IF either of those two had the "resume" of Woodson, that UK/UNC fans would not be foaming at the mouth? 22-12, 12-8 in the B10....a 4-seed, only to get boatraced in the 2nd round, may cut it here. It would not in Lexington, Lawrence or Chapel Hill.

Basketball there is priority. It is not here. Hence the terrible hire after, after hire.

Reactions: kmathum
May's team is loaded with juniors and seniors whom he recruited. Woodson has not even gotten to that stage yet and had better records than May in years 1 and 2.
Fair is fair. If Woodson gets to year 5 and 6 and doesn't have a consistent winning program, then Dolson could ask him to step aside.

🤣

Why would he come to Bloomington when he’s established a great culture at Florida Atlantic? Plus, we have Dolson’s guy who just beat a formidable North Alabama. Woody’s NBA experience is paying dividends.

This made my day great post!

Woodson is probably never again going to have a team filled with juniors and seniors. Last year he did, but a couple key members he never recruited.
I'm not sure I agree. He has touted the importance of veterans. The 2023-24 class will need to stay put, or the incoming class will need to grow by several in order for his 5th/6th years to be veteran-led. If he can't manage to get guys to stay in the system, he won't be here in 3 years.

Ok....You really think IF either of those two had the "resume" of Woodson, that UK/UNC fans would not be foaming at the mouth? 22-12, 12-8 in the B10....a 4-seed, only to get boatraced in the 2nd round, may cut it here. It would not in Lexington, Lawrence or Chapel Hill.

Basketball there is priority. It is not here. Hence the terrible hire after, after hire.
Neither UK or UNC were mediocre/bad for nearly 20 years before they made those hires.

Its not a difficult grasp. But I will spell it out.

Gillispe went 40-27. NCAAT/NIT----UK fired him. Hired Calipari
Doherty went 53 -43. NCAAT/NIT/Missed post season...UNC fired him. Hired Williams

Woody is 53-29. 2 NCAAT. If he JUST GETS IU to the NCAAT, IU will extend him. Even if IU endures another NCAAT beatdown.

See now the difference between how IU views basketball, opposed to the KU's, UK's and UNC's?
Your argument holds water if we’re talking about the Davis tenure. The legend left in 2000. Not 2021.

Didn’t realize Stevens was an alumni of Iu and spent 8 years there?
Wgaff. Answer the question I asked. How many end up being successful coaching at their alma mater? Not many. Let the season play out before anointing May as the next Stevens.

Reactions: Vern Pain
Merry Christmas Victor.. but the guy can coach them up.
I completely agree. I’m just asking a simple question. Not anything crazy. I know we fight and argue but in the end we are still drunken, high, crazy Hoosiers. Wouldn’t be a better scenario if he is the real deal and ends up at IU.

We thought Archie was a good coach too before he was hired.

Woodson isn't doing horrible but he's not doing great. I don't see it happening unless Woodson was hired to be the transition to the next guy. That's possible considering Fife was on the staff and his age but I doubt it. Unless we finish something like 6 - 14 and another disappointing finish next year then he's still at FAU. By the end if the year, I think we're just a guard or 2 from a top 10 team. Also, does May need 3-4 years to get his system in place while we miss the NCAA tournament?. If he does, the fan base doesn't have the patience for that. Steven's was a proven winner. May is a maybe. You don't make overtures to a maybe while you have a coach making NCAA tournaments. After 5-6 years of 1st or 2nd round exits, then you make a change.

Wgaff. Answer the question I asked. How many end up being successful coaching at their alma mater? Not many. Let the season play out before anointing May as the next Stevens.
I named 7 off the top of my head in another thread. One of them was Branch McCracken.

That’s never been said. From what his Mom says he absolutely loves Florida. Indiana isn’t as much a dream school anymore.
I live 5 minutes away from eastern greene now. I will say all the locals say he will take the job no matter what or when. They all also like their cousins, so take that with a grain of salt.

I live 5 minutes away from eastern greene now. I will say all the locals say he will take the job no matter what or when. They all also like their cousins, so take that with a grain of salt.
I’m not saying he wouldn’t. I also think it’s premature.

Reactions: Cavanagh
I’m not saying he wouldn’t. I also think it’s premature.
I think it shakes out pretty well for us this time. If what I hear is true, and he will take it no matter when it’s offered, I like making him wait and not jumping the gun.

Let him prove it over the next few years. Woody gets us to a sweet 16+ this year all the dusty may talk disappears. Woody has got a lot of talent to btown. this Ain’t Archie we are talking about.

Reactions: kkott
I think it shakes out pretty well for us this time. If what I hear is true, and he will take it no matter when it’s offered, I like making him wait and not jumping the gun.

Let him prove it over the next few years. Woody gets us to a sweet 16+ this year all the dusty may talk disappears. Woody has got a lot of talent to btown. this Ain’t Archie we are talking about.

Of course Woody might hang it up at any time! ;)

Reactions: Cavanagh

May is just the latest shiny new object.

How many here, who want Dusty thought Archie was the best up-and-coming coach a few years ago.

Self-awareness and self-criticism are severely lacking here in the forum.

May is just the latest shiny new object.

How many here, who want Dusty thought Archie was the best up-and-coming coach a few years ago.

Self-awareness and self-criticism are severely lacking here in the forum.
Everyone wins at Dayton.. FAU not so much..

Everyone wins at Dayton.. FAU not so much..

You say this, but how come everyone was excited about Archie coming over, including myself? Its only obvious in hindsight.

Lets give Dusty a few years before we get overly excited about him as a potential replacement for Woodie. In fact Archie had a longer sustained success at Dayton than Dusty has at the moment at FAU.

Last edited:
You say this, but how come everyone was excited about Archie coming over, including myself? Its only obvious in hindsight.

Lets give Dusty a few years before we get overly excited about him as a potential replacement for Woodie. In fact Archie had a longer sustained success at Dayton than Dusty has at the moment at FAU.
Not everyone was excited about Archie.

Talent yes, winning no.

Tbf I doubt if you ever play for two of your guards out with long-term injuries or are unavailable when you are recruiting --- unless you employ 20/20 hindsight vision.
All true. I think newtons knee was overlooked and when he showed up it was evident he was not ready. Too late to get a serviceable portal guy.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Gotta say I hope your AD screws up and doesn’t go after May. I’d like him to be available after Cal hangs it up. He’s gonna be a good coach for a long time I believe. He’s only like 46 so he would have a lot of time to coach too.

Woodson has 3-years and $12.6 million left on his contract and he will be 69-years-old at that point. Let him finish out the deal he signed for once, then hopefully he will have the program ready to win and he can retire with dignity. But nobody is going to take the job, even Dusty, if they think they will only be given 3 years to win a title or be fired.

Reactions: darmetrius
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT