ADVERTISEMENT

Dusty May can coach

edub72

Junior
Jan 17, 2018
FAU down 6 going to halftime vs Arizona. FAU up 4 right out of break and looking great. May is getting it done

Reactions: kkott
AZ coach messed up by calling a TO and giving FAU a chance to set their defense. Owls win and May is a good one.

Reactions: Fox2monk
AZ coach messed up by calling a TO and giving FAU a chance to set their defense. Owls win and May is a good one.
I thought both teams took bad shots on their last possessions. Both went for 3s and both only needed a bucket or even a foul.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I've said all along he should be keeping communications open with May and gauging his interest, and also talking to CMW about his plans, desire and intention. Don't get caught flat-footed this time.
May would almost certainly take the job if offered. At the same time I'm confident Woody isn't going anywhere voluntarily. Massive ego. Nice guy but Crean like ego. Best buddy Buckner is the Chair of the BOT. This will get very ugly.

May would almost certainly take the job if offered. At the same time I'm confident Woody isn't going anywhere voluntarily. Massive ego. Nice guy but Crean like ego. Best buddy Buckner is the Chair of the BOT. This will get very ugly.
His record doesn’t warrant removal.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Very interesting extension. 10 year extension that only pays 1.25 million this year increasing 5% annually with a ton of incentive bonuses.

A 3-4 million dollar annual salary offer and he would leave in a heartbeat
Pretty cheap buyout too IIRC

I’m hoping he has that out claus if IU comes calling. Would be best if and when Mike wants to retire.

It takes a long time to undo 21 years of junk. Killed the brand.
Yes, and it’s going to take time. The brand (or program, or whatever you want to call it) cannot be measured in a year or two. If we went to the final four this year, it would be great and a step in the right direction of the program. But it wouldn’t mean we “were back”, or dramatically change where we are as a program, after all, some may still have those ridiculous tee shirts from the Crean era. It’s going to take time, perhaps a decade or two of sustained excellence to undo the last 20 years.

Any half way decent (not crappy) power conference program should make the NCAAs 90% of the time. That’s just one bare bones bar to meet.

Time will tell.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Why would he come to Bloomington when he’s established a great culture at Florida Atlantic? Plus, we have Dolson’s guy who just beat a formidable North Alabama. Woody’s NBA experience is paying dividends.

Kansas and Duke have not fired coaches since Larry Brown was running from the law.

Gillespie missed the NCAA before being shown the door.

Guthrie retired, Doherty missed the NCAA.

Your post doesn’t track at this time.
There's a reason KU and Duke haven't fired coaches in a long time..

You are correct --Gillespie missed the NCAAT. AS did Doherty. And what did UNC and UK do after a mere two seasons?

I don't think you understand the context of my post.

There's a reason KU and Duke haven't fired coaches in a long time..

You are correct --Gillespie missed the NCAAT. AS did Doherty. And what did UNC and UK do after a mere two seasons?

I don't think you understand the context of my post.
Is the context, he will miss the tournament this year and we will not fire him?

Probably, but you don't know until you ask. With someone his age, and background, these are discussions Dolson and he should be having. Heck, he may not even like the college game and the recruiting, interfering rules, boosters, admins, parents and hangers on. I knew a couple guys who coached at high levels of college bball and generally their view is at some point most coaches just get tired of the grind and the NBA is just easier. Every coach has a big ego, but I don't see a "Massive" ego in CMW. Overall he's very nice and thoughtful in interviews where RMK, Crean, Sampson and Archie all got snarky. I'll bet if you talk to the writers, they enjoy working with CMW far more than any of those others.

Reactions: DANC
I've said all along he should be keeping communications open with May and gauging his interest, and also talking to CMW about his plans, desire and intention. Don't get caught flat-footed this time.
I agree. We’re in a really good situation. May is currently a one year hit wonder (year 2 is looking good) and I’d like to see him have more success before coming to IU. I’d prefer he have Power 5 experience before being hired at IU and hope he takes a Power 5 job, next year. I assume Woodson is here for 2 to 3 more years if he can maintain moderate success.

Reactions: Vern Pain
May's team is loaded with juniors and seniors whom he recruited. Woodson has not even gotten to that stage yet and had better records than May in years 1 and 2.
Fair is fair. If Woodson gets to year 5 and 6 and doesn't have a consistent winning program, then Dolson could ask him to step aside.

You've had too much egg nog.

May's team is loaded with juniors and seniors whom he recruited. Woodson has not even gotten to that stage yet and had better records than May in years 1 and 2.
Fair is fair. If Woodson gets to year 5 and 6 and doesn't have a consistent winning program, then Dolson could ask him to step aside.
Woodson is probably never again going to have a team filled with juniors and seniors. Last year he did, but a couple key members he never recruited.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT