ADVERTISEMENT

Dusty May can coach

There's a reason KU and Duke haven't fired coaches in a long time..

You are correct --Gillespie missed the NCAAT. AS did Doherty. And what did UNC and UK do after a mere two seasons?

I don't think you understand the context of my post.
but there were plenty of underlying negative circumstances in both cases, you seem to be mostly ignoring. Gillespie was an alcoholic and causing scenes and problems in Lex and with boosters... and wasn't winning. Doherty was supposedly very abusive with players and essentially had a player revolt on his hands, where those players supposedly (with parents) went to the AD and basically said "him or us". Oh yeah, and there were rumors Roy, who'd previously turned them down, was ready to come home. None of that exists with CMW and at IU currently. It wasn't just about the W/L performance on the court.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Woodson has 3-years and $12.6 million left on his contract and he will be 69-years-old at that point. Let him finish out the deal he signed for once, then hopefully he will have the program ready to win and he can retire with dignity. But nobody is going to take the job, even Dusty, if they think they will only be given 3 years to win a title or be fired.
you can't let a coach "finish his deal". Death in recruiting because opposing coaches spin it as "don't go to IU or you're going to endure a coaching change". For recruiting and continuity's sake you can't really have a coach in the last year of his contract, and it starts to get dicey in the last 2 years because they play the same card. Whatever you're going to do, fire or extend, needs to be done before they enter the final year of their deal.

Last edited:
you can't let a coach "finish his deal". Death in recruiting because opposing coaches spin it as "don't go to IU or you're going to endure a coaching change". For recruiting and continuity's sake you can't really have a coach in the last year of his contract, and it starts to get dicey in the last 2 years because they play the same card.

The two year limit was a very real problem.
Do you think that the portal has changed?
With being able to transfer at the drop of a hat, I would think that particular negative recruiting tactic would lose some of it's value.

The two year limit was a very real problem.
Do you think that the portal has changed?
With being able to transfer at the drop of a hat, I would think that particular negative recruiting tactic would lose some of it's value.
Probably does... but do you want that? You can fight with one hand tied behind your back, but would you want to?

Plus, to elaborate, there are 2 primary ways to add players. I think this will matter less to the portal transfers but will still have to be explained away, but I think it will still be crippling for high school recruits and I think you want to avail yourself of as many tools as you can!

Last edited:
Reactions: Al Bino
Its not a difficult grasp. But I will spell it out.

Gillispe went 40-27. NCAAT/NIT----UK fired him. Hired Calipari
Doherty went 53 -43. NCAAT/NIT/Missed post season...UNC fired him. Hired Williams

Woody is 53-29. 2 NCAAT. If he JUST GETS IU to the NCAAT, IU will extend him. Even if IU endures another NCAAT beatdown.

See now the difference between how IU views basketball, opposed to the KU's, UK's and UNC's?
Billie G finished 2nd and 4th in conference at kentucky and got canned. If Woodson make a sweet sixeteen we will probably throw a ticker tape parade.

Reactions: GThomas
Billie G finished 2nd and 4th in conference at kentucky and got canned. If Woodson make a sweet sixeteen we will probably throw a ticker tape parade.

As stated above, winning and losing wasn't the only consideration in releasing BG and I think the argument could be made that off court issues was the MAJOR reason he was fired.

Reactions: kkott
As stated above, winning and losing wasn't the only consideration in releasing BG and I think the argument could be made that off court issues was the MAJOR reason he was fired.
That and he made it easy by never signing his contract. lol

#7 FAU with 2 Q4 losses pre-Jan 1. There’s obviously a connection with his ties to IU, anointing someone the next Bob Knight after a singular tournament run typically hasn’t worked out well. Shaka Smart went to the F4 in 2011 and is still looking for his next trip to the second weekend.

but there were plenty of underlying negative circumstances in both cases, you seem to be mostly ignoring. Gillespie was an alcoholic and causing scenes and problems in Lex and with boosters... and wasn't winning. Doherty was supposedly very abusive with players and essentially had a player revolt on his hands, where those players supposedly (with parents) went to the AD and basically said "him or us". Oh yeah, and there were rumors Roy, who'd previously turned them down, was ready to come home. None of that exists with CMW and at IU currently. It wasn't just about the W/L performance on the court.
Wait - you mean Alford's not ready to come home? lol

#7 FAU with 2 Q4 losses pre-Jan 1. There’s obviously a connection with his ties to IU, anointing someone the next Bob Knight after a singular tournament run typically hasn’t worked out well. Shaka Smart went to the F4 in 2011 and is still looking for his next trip to the second weekend.
Who said he was the next BK?

Reactions: kkott
Just going to leave this here. Discuss

Wait a minute. If we lost to FGC at least 10 posters would be all in on firing Woodson. What if we were the #7 team and lost? Would you let Ol dusty step foot in Greene county again?!?

Wait a minute. If we lost to FGC at least 10 posters would be all in on firing Woodson. What if we were the #7 team and lost? Would you let Ol dusty step foot in Greene county again?!?
If I’m a betting man I’m betting he’s probably not running to the final 4 again. That’s tough to do regardless of P5 or a 17 seed beating a one. 😉 Oh and that’s 2 quad 4 losses for Dusty.

If I’m a betting man I’m betting he’s probably not running to the final 4 again. That’s tough to do regardless of P5 or a 17 seed beating a one. 😉 Oh and that’s 2 quad 4 losses for Dusty.
I’d say that is a good bet.

We are 2-0 in the big 10, a week from now we could be talking about being ranked. Take care of braska, beat the piss out of the buckeyes. Les roll

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Wouldn’t mind being #7 to start with.

But for certain, the verdict is still out on May…. Just like it should be on Woody.

He may end up being a great coach. Right now, he's got a 64% winning percentage. If you cast out last season as an outlier, that winning percentage screams mediocrity.

Maybe last season becomes the rule rather than the exception. I remember a coach who had an unexpected final four run just over twenty years ago. Didn't work out that way for him.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I’d say that is a good bet.

We are 2-0 in the big 10, a week from now we could be talking about being ranked. Take care of braska, beat the piss out of the buckeyes. Les roll
IU has played 1 true road game and it was against a terrible Michigan team who is now 6-7. I'd say the environment at Nebraska will be difficult, and if IU sneaks out of there with a win somehow, it would be an excellent one for the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT