ADVERTISEMENT

Crystal ball for Mcculley

Wiltfong over at 247 put in a crystal ball for donovan mcculley
I was wondering if this would happen. Purdue took a QB last night. Dude has an arm. Beside the point. Have to wonder if he was an IU lean so Purdue took theirs or if Purdue is going to take two QB's and position change the one that can't make the depth chart. The guy Purdue took could have went anywhere in the country for DB or WR. Always interesting how these things play out.

Reactions: red hornet
I just hope they get a commit from whoever this class's QB is going to be so other kids can see what's coming in and hopefully the coaching staff can parlay a good QB get into a WR or athlete or two.

woohoo

So how long til he's a 3 star? lol

Assuming no QBs leave, we should have the luxury of redshirting him (assuming we don't run into a bunch of injuries of course).

BIG get for IU! This is how good things get started or rather continue building, as IU is going to have a very good team this year, truly believe will match or exceed the 8-game season of last year. And think will pull off upset of either Wiscy on road or Penn St at home. Will beat MSU at home and HOLD the bucket at home as well. Defense will be better and Penix is going to light things up. DMAC can be in the wings getting ready, learning and after a RS year be a 3-4 yr starter. (But Dexter & Tuttle will not just fold!)

Any idea what the new IU ranking might jump up to after adding a 4-star? Believe we were at #51. Can a brother get a sub-40 here? :)

Any idea what the new IU ranking might jump up to after adding a 4-star? Believe we were at #51. Can a brother get a sub-40 here? :)

Per IndyStar article on his committment:
IU has nine commitments overall for the 2021 class. With the commitment of McCulley, IU’s recruiting class jumped from No. 62 in the country to No. 55, according to 247Sports’ class rankings.

Not sure where I saw #51 PRIOR to his committment, but at end of the day, I do trust the IU coaching staff and don't think anyone could argue they are not doing a nice job overall on recruiting, as we now have 2 of top 5 in Indiana with DE & QB. Keep it going Team!

Per IndyStar article on his committment:
IU has nine commitments overall for the 2021 class. With the commitment of McCulley, IU’s recruiting class jumped from No. 62 in the country to No. 55, according to 247Sports’ class rankings.

Not sure where I saw #51 PRIOR to his committment, but at end of the day, I do trust the IU coaching staff and don't think anyone could argue they are not doing a nice job overall on recruiting, as we now have 2 of top 5 in Indiana with DE & QB. Keep it going Team!

Class ranking is low due to # of commits. 9 is second lowest to Illinois in the B10 who is, go figure, last. IU's average ranking per recruit though puts them mid-pack in the B10. IU's ranking will shoot up once more commits start rolling in.

Yeah, we won’t have any issue scoring points against each other. I think defensively is where it’s going to be interesting.
Lol ain't that the truth. Purdue should have a really good Dline. But after that, the defense has a ton of question marks. I'd probably say Purdue has the better O, but the worse D. Thoughts?

Reactions: TMFT
Lol ain't that the truth. Purdue should have a really good Dline. But after that, the defense has a ton of question marks. I'd probably say Purdue has the better O, but the worse D. Thoughts?
I think PUs O running at full strength has a higher upside, but less depth than IU. I think IU's O could weather some personnel losses better.

The Defenses? IDK. Neither was particularly good last year, except for how good IUs boys looked for 90% of the Gator Bowl.

I think PUs O running at full strength has a higher upside, but less depth than IU. I think IU's O could weather some personnel losses better.

The Defenses? IDK. Neither was particularly good last year, except for how good IUs boys looked for 90% of the Gator Bowl.
I could see that. I'd probably give position depth breakdowns as follows.
QB: advantage Purdue
RB: IU Purdue backup will be a true freshman.
TE: idk what iu has, but I'm going IU
WR: Purdue
OL: IU. Purdue has 8 guys that I think will be pretty good, but kind of have to prove it. They won't be near as bad as last year.

Reactions: TMFT
OL: IU. Purdue has 8 guys that I think will be pretty good, but kind of have to prove it. They won't be near as bad as last year.

Not sure I agree on QB. Penix is head over heels better than any QB Purdue has and IU's back up (although inexperienced) is a former 4* recruit. Purdue probably has more QB's on the depth chart with more in-game experience but would take IU's QB situation over Purdue's 10/10 times.

Not sure I agree on QB. Penix is head over heels better than any QB Purdue has and IU's back up (although inexperienced) is a former 4* recruit. Purdue probably has more QB's on the depth chart with more in-game experience but would take IU's QB situation over Purdue's 10/10 times.
That was my thinking. Purdue has a pair of QB's that have thrown for over 1000 yards and each has a 400 yard game as underclassman, plus a 4 star coming in. Penix is really good, but he isn't healthy and iu has no proven depth. I wouldn't sleep on Plummer.

You've got to be kidding that you think PU is ahead of IU at the QB position. It's not even close. Penix could arguably be the 2nd best QB in the big ten by the end of next season, and Tuttle was a highly rated 4* who made the Elite 11 as a senior. He had an offer from Bama, amongst others. Who's even going to start at QB for PU next season? The only knock on IU's QB group is that past Tuttle, we have a FR and some walk-ons.

That was my thinking. Purdue has a pair of QB's that have thrown for over 1000 yards and each has a 400 yard game as underclassman, plus a 4 star coming in. Penix is really good, but he isn't healthy and iu has no proven depth. I wouldn't sleep on Plummer.

More drivel. Penix is healthy. He had an injury and has recovered. Tuttle would be the best QB at PU right now, and he's our backup.

If I were making an 11 man offense based on Indiana and Purdue's roster, I would take Penix at QB, Scott at RB, Hendershot at TE, Bell, Moore, and Philyor at WR, Bedford at LT, and the other four OL spots would be up for grabs.

More drivel. Penix is healthy. He had an injury and has recovered. Tuttle would be the best QB at PU right now, and he's our backup.
I hope he stays healthy. He is a great talent. But he has to prove it. As for Tuttle, not sure I agree. What you basing that on?

If I were making an 11 man offense based on Indiana and Purdue's roster, I would take Penix at QB, Scott at RB, Hendershot at TE, Bell, Moore, and Philyor at WR, Bedford at LT, and the other four OL spots would be up for grabs.
Might not be wrong. Only one I may swap is Bedford for Hermanns. Give me the experienced LT. To back them up, I'd take Plummer and Dorue and QB and RB. I've said for a couple years now, if you could combine Purdue and iu's teams, you'd have a dang good one.

Yeah disagree wholeheartedly. Penix may not have shown he can stay healthy but can't you say the same for Purdue's QB last year? Didn't they go through 4 QB's? Penix and Tuttle would be day 1 starters at Purdue.

Tuttle wouldn’t be the best QB at Purdue, that’s laughable. He’d probably be 3rd string.

Penix has only played in 9 games in 2 years. Until he proves it, it’s clear he’s an injury risk.

Yeah disagree wholeheartedly. Penix may not have shown he can stay healthy but can't you say the same for Purdue's QB last year? Didn't they go through 4 QB's? Penix and Tuttle would be day 1 starters at Purdue.
3. But Plummer had a broken ankle like Blough a couple years ago. Not sure that makes him injury prone though. It was a freak injury. You might not be wrong on Tuttle, but I'd rather take the freshman that showed promise. Just me. I can respect your opinion though.

I would take Crider at Center and Caleb Jones at RT, he was honorable mention All-B10 last year.
Purdue had a LG start as a true freshman vs iu and look pretty good. We can throw him in. Now hopefully you have the RT. Haha

Fun conversation guys!

I hope he stays healthy. He is a great talent. But he has to prove it. As for Tuttle, not sure I agree. What you basing that on?

As I stated above, Tuttle was a highly rated 4* and had offers from everybody, including Bama. He made the Elite 11 as a senior as well. That's for the top 11 QB's in the nation. There's nobody on PU's roster that was as highly rated coming out of HS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT