ADVERTISEMENT

Court names

Bucket Getter

Senior
Apr 9, 2023
2 games tonight on ESPN. Roy Williams Court and Nolan Richardson Court. What’s the holdup around here? Neither of those jokers could hold Knight’s jock. (Never actually understood that saying, but you get the jist)

Reactions: GThomas
2 games tonight on ESPN. Roy Williams Court and Nolan Richardson Court. What’s the holdup around here? Neither of those jokers could hold Knight’s jock. (Never actually understood that saying, but you get the jist)
Williams was 5 -1 against RMK while he was at Kansas...
He just passed..Give it time..
Wheels of government spin slowly

Maybe IU is honoring RMK's wishes.
I still think each banner should have the coach's name printed at the bottom.

Maybe IU is honoring RMK's wishes.
I still think each banner should have the coach's name printed at the bottom.
Honoring Knight’s wishes? That’s what the IU administration wants you to think. How one fulfills the administration’s code of conduct is really more important than winning games of ball, based upon their past actions.

Honoring Knight’s wishes? That’s what the IU administration wants you to think. How one fulfills the administration’s code of conduct is really more important than winning games of ball, based upon their past actions.

Yes and absolutely zero people involved in his dismissal, or time prior, are employed or affiliated with IU. So, I don't there is some cabal stopping the university, behind the scenes, from honoring Knight. The people stopping it are his family, as has been publicly stated.

Yes and absolutely zero people involved in his dismissal, or time prior, are employed or affiliated with IU. So, I don't there is some cabal stopping the university, behind the scenes, from honoring Knight. The people stopping it are his family, as has been publicly stated.
Okay then, what exactly does the Knight family request publicly stated limit IU from doing?

Okay then, what exactly does the Knight family request publicly stated limit IU from doing?

Nothing. IU can do something but won't because it is honoring the request. IU not doing anything has nothing to do with what happened 23 years ago, IMHO. Nobody at IU is holding a 23 year grudge as there is nobody at IU from 23 years ago to hold a grudge. They're dead, retired, or have moved on.

Nothing. IU can do something but won't because it is honoring the request. IU not doing anything has nothing to do with what happened 23 years ago, IMHO. Nobody at IU is holding a 23 year grudge as there is nobody at IU from 23 years ago to hold a grudge. They're dead, retired, or have moved on.
Okay, then it just seems a little unusual to me that Knight's family (any family) wouldn't want Bob (any family member), the father/husband/grandfather/great-grandfather-to-be honored posthumously, after all, Bob did bury the hatchet with his return to AH and retirement back to Bloomington. Is his family's stipulation based upon lingering bitterness or over-the-top humbleness?

The IU administration responsible for Knight's unruly release may be dead, retired, or moved on, but the ghosts of Myles Brand/Adam Herbert, et al. carry on. It permeates the mindset of the elitist snobs steeped within the ranks of higher academia.

Okay, then it just seems a little unusual to me that Knight's family (any family) wouldn't want Bob (any family member), the father/husband/grandfather/great-grandfather-to-be honored posthumously, after all, Bob did bury the hatchet with his return to AH and retirement back to Bloomington. Is his family's stipulation based upon lingering bitterness or over-the-top humbleness?

The IU administration responsible for Knight's unruly release may be dead, retired, or moved on, but the ghosts of Myles Brand/Adam Herbert, et al. carry on. It permeates the mindset of the elitist snobs steeped within the ranks of higher academia.

IDK why the family or RMK doesn't want anything. His/their choice. Respect it.

And I don't believe in ghosts.

Has his family publicly stated that SINCE his return to AH and Bton?

And I don't believe in ghosts.

Not ghosts. Real faculty who hate Whitten and think athletics is a huge waste of time and resources, and are bitterly jealous of the salaries that the coaches earn.

Reactions: dbmhoosier

And I don't believe in ghosts
His/their choice to remain bitter then, I guess. Bitterness is an insidious disease that eats away internally. It’s a death spiral in motion, slow…there for those who can’t let go.

His/their choice to remain bitter then, I guess. Bitterness is an insidious disease that eats away internally. It’s a death spiral in motion, slow…there for those who can’t let go.
Might not be bitterness. They could simply be honoring his wishes or their best understanding of what he wanted when he was able to make the decision. That does sort of conflict with his return to the hall and his reported attendance at practices subsequently, so it's unclear.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Might not be bitterness. They could simply be honoring his wishes or their best understanding of what he wanted when he was able to make the decision. That does sort of conflict with his return to the hall and his reported attendance at practices subsequently, so it's unclear.
I say BS because something doesn’t add up. Yes, it’s a new crew at the helm of our administration but I don’t think this younger bunch has a clue for what he meant to this university. All they know is what they read about him from the media lynch mob reports toward the end when people started bitching about Bob.

IU can honor Knight in a lot of different ways, acceptable ways presented to family showing a professional rendering, but they have yet to do diddly squat other than an AH video during a meaningless preseason game before the tipoff on a weekday 7 pm game when half the arena was still empty from people trying to get to their seats. I know because I was one who missed it, traffic was so bad.

For IU to not do anything more than a short video doesn’t pass the smell test, yet they go all out to immortalize Myles Brand far into posterity by naming a building after him as if in “thank you” for your Woke-ness before it was recognized as such. They’re all a bunch of pompous pricks seen parading on stage in their ceremonial costumes, out of touch with the more conservative Mid-western values of everyday man dwelling in the forested hills of south-central Indiana.

Perhaps they are planning/working on something permanent but that takes time. Statues, etc. have to be commissioned and created. Any kind of major modification, new signage, etc. in Assembly Hall is probably not going to be done until after the season is over.

Why do you say bitter? Why can't someone just not want any fanfare about themselves?

Reactions: ams66
Why do you say bitter? Why can't someone just not want any fanfare about themselves?
Okay, then it’s not out of bitterness, but simply a trait of humbleness, good for them! Is there a public record of the family’s humble request, or is it just some Knight-hater’s fantasy, hearsay…someone thinking Knight wouldn’t want to be recognized as a sort of FU, IU!

Okay, then it’s not out of bitterness, but simply a trait of humbleness, good for them! Is there a public record of the family’s humble request, or is it just some Knight-hater’s fantasy, hearsay…someone thinking Knight wouldn’t want to be recognized as a sort of FU, IU!

Article states the family requested no public memorials. Take it however you want, but my belief is RMK doesn’t want any court/building/street naming or statues or any public memorial.

No Knight-hating fantasy. No anti-Knight IU policy. Just a family request.

Perhaps they are planning/working on something permanent but that takes time. Statues, etc. have to be commissioned and created. Any kind of major modification, new signage, etc. in Assembly Hall is probably not going to be done until after the season is over.
So what you’re saying is you think we may still have a chance?

So what you’re saying is you think we may still have a chance?
I have no inside info. Just speculating as to possible reasons. It seems to me the most likely reasons are: the family asked that nothing be done; or, something is in the works but not unveiled yet.

I also just remembered (and looked up) that it's IU policy that, "for memorial naming of major facilities and major organizations, a five-year waiting period shall be observed after the death or retirement of the individual before consideration for such distinction, unless specifically approved by the Board of Trustees."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT