ADVERTISEMENT

Colts QB

Thyrsis

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
Indianapolis
It sounds like a few of the Colts' QB options, at least in the short term, are: Garoppolo, Carr, Mariota, Trubisky, and Minshew. Cousins could be added to the list, but that seems costly and unlikely, but maybe I'm off on that. Matt Ryan might be available via trade too, but I'm skeptical that works or makes sense.

Based on what I read, Garoppolo wouldn't be a super-expensive trade. Maybe a couple 3rd's at most? If the Colts went in that direction, I think they've got to assume he's "the guy" for the next few years, even if they start looking at new QBs in the draft starting in 2023. Garoppolo sounds like the easiest path to move forward, but who knows what the 49ers are thinking.

I wouldn't know, but I'm not sure why the Raiders move away from Carr. (What's THEIR plan if they let him go?) I also suspect he'd be costlier than Garoppolo in trade assets, but, again, I might be way off on that. I've heard a few people say Carr still has untapped upside. Maybe so, but otherwise, I'm not sure he's an obvious, material better get than Garoppolo, especially if the cost is a lot higher.

Mariota would be cheap and that by itself holds real promise given how much cap space is available to the Colts. But this is the question I have about all the other available options. Do football decision-makers really KNOW a lot about who can add value, who has untapped potential, etc.? Sure, they know more than you and me, but do they "know" enough more that it's bankable information? Mariota seems okay, but still a risk based on a couple seemingly undisputed realities: the Titans did better with the not all-world Tannehill as soon as Mariota was gone and in LV Mariota hasn't really challenged the "good" Derek Carr (and Carr might not be better than a "top 15" QB?).

Trubisky is easily available. Doesn't sound convincing on its face, but who cares what fans think. Were the Bears just a disaster and he's not really had the opportunity that a bunch of other starting QBs on other teams have had? I'd think that if the Colts were good with Trubisky, they'd want a pretty reliable back-up as well. Maybe that's Ehlinger, I have no idea. Who in the football world can really evaluate Trubisky?

Minshew has had good stats and he's played on terrible teams. Why isn't he viewed as a greater option in the pundit marketplace? Is he really markedly lesser than Garoppolo? Than Wentz? Wentz was the guy the Colts were going with (not just as a stopgap) until he sorta imploded late and I suspect the vaccination stuff played an outsize role in his outcome. I'd probably be as good with Minshew as Wentz, but who knows.

I don't think the Colts are going to get a top 12 quarterback no matter what. So what should they do? Prob not overpay (in a way that takes away from what they already have), definitely get somebody who can be "top 20 or better", and not undercut them given a really solid roster.

While they absolutely know more than all of us, I'm skeptical that NFL guys have some special insight as to who's going to be great, good, mediocre and bad among players who don't already have black/white and known track records.

Maybe the Colts have some special preference among available options, but if he's easily available in terms of draft resources, Garoppolo still sounds like the easy answer. Maybe Carr will come cheaper than I expect, but otherwise, assuming Garoppolo still makes the most sense, I'm still at least a little curious about Minshew.

The Colts have a decent roster today and have a ton of cap space. Can they find some way to get a "good" QB now and spend/draft to upgrade their roster to "really good". That's a recipe for playoff success, even if it's not Super Bowl obviousness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News