ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Cignetti calling out some players.

I don’t agree. KW (my favorite IU coach in the last 30 years BTW) had the potential to be a very successful HC somewhere but had burned way too many bridges for it to be at IU. Recruiting had peaked and was on the downslope when the change was made.

I haven’t paid attention to Tulsa but it will be interesting to see if he has enough humility to learn from his mistakes at IU. I doubt he does.

CCC has talked openly about how helpful it is to make your mistakes on the small stage of D2, etc. Kevin made his in the B1G and has a rep to live down now. We’ll see.
Wilson will probably do well at Tulsa, where his 'lifestyle' is more accepted. And, maybe he's changed his lifestyle - who knows.

I can see him succeeding at that level, but not at a major program - too big a spotlight.

Yes the state of Oklahoma is some different than Indiana. Over the decades spent loads of time there. Also some taste of KW no doubt is familiar there with his time at Norman. He's thought very well of there. Loads of HS contacts in that region. Football haven.
Kelvin Sampson and Kevin Wilson - what did we ever do to Oklahoma to piss them off?

Two good coaches we should have kept. What did we do to deserve such leadership?
Sampson was on probation when we hired him. Should have never been hired here.

Wilson got into trouble his first night in Bloomington (or one of his first nights) when he got into it with an RA in McNutt. Fitzgerald just got fired for doing the same things Wilson was doing with the team.

Both these guys were bad news. Good coaches, no doubt. But both a terrible fit for IU.

Wilson got into trouble his first night in Bloomington (or one of his first nights) when he got into it with an RA in McNutt. Fitzgerald just got fired for doing the same things Wilson was doing with the team.

Both these guys were bad news. Good coaches, no doubt. But both a terrible fit for IU.
You're right. Good coaches seem to be a terrible fit for IU.

Well, the Pope was busy.

I don’t agree. KW (my favorite IU coach in the last 30 years BTW) had the potential to be a very successful HC somewhere but had burned way too many bridges for it to be at IU. Recruiting had peaked and was on the downslope when the change was made.

I haven’t paid attention to Tulsa but it will be interesting to see if he has enough humility to learn from his mistakes at IU. I doubt he does.

CCC has talked openly about how helpful it is to make your mistakes on the small stage of D2, etc. Kevin made his in the B1G and has a rep to live down now. We’ll see.
Kevin was drunk and bars quit letting him in and much too hard on the players that were hurt. There were reasons for letting him go with the people wanting to sue him for what Wilson did for injured players.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
All I've read on this board regarding Wilson is that he was the town drunk....Is that true?

Reactions: DANC

My theory:
Greenspan was a patsy.
Adam Herbert was seen running from the grassy knoll.

KW is an old school coach. Ask Bear Bryant. He was an expert on Kentucky Straight Bourbon besides CFB. Many of them ole boys were his equal with the devil brew. Hell VO is my preference although it is a blend.

Last edited:
KW is an old school coach. Ask Bear Bryant. He was an expert on Kentucky Straight Bourbon besides CFB. Many of them ole boys were his equal with the devil brew. Hell VO is my preference although it is a blend
I always wondered why, in the age of cell phones, at least one of the stories about Wilson being drunk in bars wasn’t filmed for the Internet.

But he was a PR nightmare waiting to happen. He just sucked at “warm and fuzzy.” He was needlessly unkind in my presence twice, including the first time I ever met him. I’m sure he never got close to the record set by other IU coaches, but it still whittled away at the list of “strong Wilson supporters” he needed at the end.

I was personally way more bothered by his wars with Indy media guys than him telling habitual IR guys to get healthy because he wasn’t paying them to sit in medical tents.

I wish him well. I hope he is happy and successful at Tulsa. I check in on “the Vandy of the AAC” because of him. If drinking is his problem, I hope he quit(s) easy. But Reputations haunt us all, and I will never be surprised by rumors he acted ugly somewhere.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC

I was personally way more bothered by his wars with Indy media guys than him telling habitual IR guys to get healthy because he wasn’t paying them to sit in medical tents.
I enjoyed him telling off the Indy media guys, at first, until he later proved he was just an ###, not some grand strategy.

Worse is pressuring injured guys to play. But that goes way back with many coaches. I'm sure it's difficult to identify the odd loafer in the mix, but you need to assume the best.

(No name, so take it for what's it's worth only as a lowly internet post...) In Corso's last year a good friend of my sister and her future husband was a linebacker for Indiana. He had blown out a knee and it had become clear he wasn't ever going to be able to contribute. He was probably a junior, I can't really remember. Anyway, Corso wanted him to either play, or quit, and really wanted the scholly back. This kid refused to voluntarily give up his scholarship, he'd been injured playing football and was still rehabbing. He wasn't too happy with Corso he felt he was working hard and when he said he couldn't play, he felt he couldn't.

I don't think he ever played again but later my sister and brother in law told me how he really turned himself around academically and worked his rear off to get good grades and graduate. They were so proud of him, they thought he'd lost his way for a bit after the injury. Powerful young man, good guy, I think my hand has finally recovered from his handshake.

KW is an old school coach. Ask Bear Bryant. He was an expert on Kentucky Straight Bourbon besides CFB. Many of them ole boys were his equal with the devil brew. Hell VO is my preference although it is a blend.
There's a difference between hard drinking and being an alcoholic.

Follow me for more alcohol insights.

I always wondered why, in the age of cell phones, at least one of the stories about Wilson being drunk in bars wasn’t filmed for the Internet.

But he was a PR nightmare waiting to happen. He just sucked at “warm and fuzzy.” He was needlessly unkind in my presence twice, including the first time I ever met him. I’m sure he never got close to the record set by other IU coaches, but it still whittled away at the list of “strong Wilson supporters” he needed at the end.

I wish him well. I hope he is happy and successful at Tulsa. I check in on “the Vandy of the AAC” because of him. If drinking is his problem, I hope he quit(s) easy. But Reputations haunt us all, and I will never be surprised by rumors he acted ugly somewhere.
I swear, I used the term 'warm and fuzzy' above before I read your post.

2 instances with Wilson that I saw bothered me. The first one was when he introduced his family at his into press conference. I swear, it was like watching a hostage video. They looked terrified, particularly his wife.

The second was at one of those 'meet the new recruits' parties they used to hold at Henke Hall (I loved those and don't understand why they're not done anymore - they were starting to draw SRO crowds). The assistant coaches were mingling among the crowd and Wilson wanted to get the thing going. So, he announced that the coaches needed to come on stage. When they didn't move fast enough, he told them they needed to get up there NOW. I don't remember the exact words, but it was clear Wilson was used to his staff doing what he said. Just seemed cringe-y to me. Pressure sure Wilson was a control freak.

I enjoyed him telling off the Indy media guys, at first, until he later proved he was just an ###, not some grand strategy.

Worse is pressuring injured guys to play. But that goes way back with many coaches. I'm sure it's difficult to identify the odd loafer in the mix, but you need to assume the best.

(No name, so take it for what's it's worth only as a lowly internet post...) In Corso's last year a good friend of my sister and her future husband was a linebacker for Indiana. He had blown out a knee and it had become clear he wasn't ever going to be able to contribute. He was probably a junior, I can't really remember. Anyway, Corso wanted him to either play, or quit, and really wanted the scholly back. This kid refused to voluntarily give up his scholarship, he'd been injured playing football and was still rehabbing. He wasn't too happy with Corso he felt he was working hard and when he said he couldn't play, he felt he couldn't.

I don't think he ever played again but later my sister and brother in law told me how he really turned himself around academically and worked his rear off to get good grades and graduate. They were so proud of him, they thought he'd lost his way for a bit after the injury. Powerful young man, good guy, I think my hand has finally recovered from his handshake.
Did he play Defense?

I have no doubt he was a hard drinker. OL men of his era were ornery and eyeball to eyeball people. But I still contend he was chosen for his toughness and given the mandate by AD Glass to change the culture of IUFB. Glass simply made the age old mistake of many a manager, make sure you can manage who you higher and also gave the green light. Both ended up between the rock and a hard place.

Linebacker.
I knew a guy who played on DL. This guy was a character. One time Steve Corso was running a route and this guy knew the play and stepped back off the line to take out Steve. Lee didn't like that and called him a dirty player. Then, this guy said when he blew out his kneed, Corso laughed at him. No mention of a lost scholarship, though.

One thing about his guy - I went to the '87 IU-Michigan game with him. We were pretty well oiled up before the game, but his guy called virtually every play Michigan ran that day. It was uncanny. Very sharp guy, but man, was he rough.

I knew a guy who played on DL. This guy was a character. One time Steve Corso was running a route and this guy knew the play and stepped back off the line to take out Steve. Lee didn't like that and called him a dirty player. Then, this guy said when he blew out his kneed, Corso laughed at him. No mention of a lost scholarship, though.

One thing about his guy - I went to the '87 IU-Michigan game with him. We were pretty well oiled up before the game, but his guy called virtually every play Michigan ran that day. It was uncanny. Very sharp guy, but man, was he rough.
Also, may not be right about the knee, that's what I remember. All I remember was the gist of his story, being pressured to play or give up his scholly and not giving it up and being unhappy with Corso about it. But Corso wasn't known as some hardass hurting players. So you never know.

I remember him telling me linebacker. But he was a pretty big guy. About 6-2. Solid. Like a Butkus. Maybe they tried to move him to line. He was on the team in fall of 83, but not playing. So by then would have been Sam Wyche. That's when I got the story. We were at an off campus party I was a frosh, and he took my motorcycle for a spin.

It was a couple years later when I didn't go to school there anymore, thought he was maybe partying too much, but was told he had made his friends proud by taking advantage of his football discipline but turning it to the classroom. (Now I'm curious if this man was your wildman LOL, sounds like he could be... He was from a redneck background. I'll get some deets from my sister. I only met him a few times, and liked him. )

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
I believe Coach Allen was/is a very good defensive coach and he had worked under some very successful college head coaches before coming to IU. Hindsight is always 20/20 but picking up Penix his first couple of years was a God send (no LEO pun intended). Penix should be a Heisman winner and he was certainly a game changer (when fully healthy) on the field. After Penix, Allen's teams struggled on O and I believe that created a distraction resulting in the D declining as well. Coach Sig seems to have the experience and knowledge driving a successful program on both sides of the ball. If he can bring anywhere near that level of success to Indiana Football he will be legendary. We all know what they say about "ifs". However, I'm willing to accept his criticism of IU's football past (we all know its legit) until such time (IF) he proves to be more of the same. Until then, have at it coach !!! Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain playing that video of himself shutting down Jordan !!!
I think Allen's problems went further than that. He coached with a lot of enthusiasm and rah-rah philosophy, You can only use the "Win One For The Gipper Speech" once. When it doesn't work and the cupboard is empty, You have no more arrows in the quiver. Once the Rah- Rah stuff doesn't work, You lose the confidence of your players because doing what You are asking Them to do isn't working, the act gets old and wears thin, and eventually They quit listening to You.
Players are not stupid. They know the difference between good coaching and lip service. They had good High School Coaches and were recruited by other programs, or they know players on other teams and talk about these things. The fact that Allen out of a sense of misplaced loyalty, kept several of his assistants on staff much too long (especially Hilliard). Eventually You get factions on your team. Your leaders and better Players want to do things right, work hard, and improve. A segment of players just want to slide by and get from game to game, When the Leaders and better players want to get the others to work as hard as They do and be accountable, You have friction and a rift that contributes to a losing atmosphere.

We'll see how they react. Some will react well to being called out, others won't. Some may see it as JMU guys getting treated differently.

If they don't react well, and improve their practice habits, they won't play.
I think you bring up a great point. Some players react well to a kick in the butt. Others improve more with a pat on the back.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
Why are you tempering expectations? Coach isn’t?

That’s a big part of changing the culture, you must believe and expect it will happen (of course the players and coaches must believe and put the work in).

Not meant to call you out, at all, and what you’re saying is logical. CCC wants to push through that logic.

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV
I agree. I think we could use some expectations.
.500 first year and 8 plus from there on.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT