Climate change skeptics poll

My worldview of climate change is…..

• Climate change is fake

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Climate change is real, but not significantly influenced by man

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Climate change is real and significantly influenced by man, but we’ll adapt

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • CC is real, significantly influenced by man, and we won’t adapt, but let Jesus take the wheel

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Climate change is real but overblown

Votes: 15 23.4%

• Total voters

TMFT

All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2019
I’ve been watching/reading some recently about climate change and I’m curious which camp climate change skeptics fall into.

This poll is for skeptics only. It isn’t to crap on anyone, just curiosity.

I’ve been watching/reading some recently about climate change and I’m curious which camp climate change skeptics fall into.

You need to add another category. I’d suggest getting rid of Jesus take the wheel (if you really are serious).

Since none of the categories fit, I’ll answer here. I think climate change is real, but the future predictions of catastrophic damage are nonsense. Turning over more power and money to governments will only hurt more people and lower living standards. Also, we could fix the issue by building nuclear plants, but then there wouldn’t be a need for our government to seize more power and money.

Last edited:
I don't see my view reflected either. I think there is climate change and that the change is probably mostly due to regular climate activity on planet earth. We may be impacting climate to some degree but the degree to which we are is unknown and is most likely being played up by alarmists who have politically and (personal) economic driven models that have mostly been wrong.

I also believe it is used to sell government control, over regulation, and lifestyle changes that will be detrimental to the human experience.

You need to add another category. I’d suggest getting rid of Jesus take the wheel (if you really are serious).

Since none of the categories fit, I’ll answer here. I think climate change is real, but the future predictions of catastrophic damage are nonsense. Turning over more power and money to governments will only hurt more people and lower living standards. Also, we could fix the issue by building nuclear plants, but then there wouldn’t be a need for our government to seize more power and money.
I added “it’s real but overblown”

The “Jesus take the wheel” bit is just a euphemism for “c’est la vie.” No religious connotation.

I don't see my view reflected either. I think there is climate change and that the change is probably mostly due to regular climate activity on planet earth. We may be impacting climate to some degree but the degree to which we are is unknown and is most likely being played up by alarmists who have politically and (personal) economic driven models that have mostly been wrong.

I also believe it is used to sell government control, over regulation, and lifestyle changes that will be detrimental to the human experience.
I thought the second one “it’s real but not significantly impacted by man” fits your view. No?

Nuclear, nuclear, nuclear.

The green energy religion/cult is going to bankrupt the economy.

I thought the second one “it’s real but not significantly impacted by man” fits your view. No?
Possibly, but I think I define it as what man's impact is would be unknown. I suspect that there is some involvement there and that it isn't significant but I don't think we truly know. And because of that it leads me to my position that we should do what we can for the environment BUT that should be weighed against factors like the economy and quality of life.

Nuclear power is a great example for deregulation. You should combine these ideas in a future post.

Reactions: snarlcakes
I answered with the third one. I am very skeptical of the catastrophic predictions from environmentalists due to climate change going on right now (although my now favorite scenario is the one in the Last of Us).

I think my sentiments on guns in the U.S. and responses to climate change are analogous. With guns, I think we have more deaths in the U.S. due to gangs shooting at each other and more deaths when a mentally ill person goes violent than we would if we did not have so many in the U.S. But the notion that its ever going to change (either by politically finding the will to overturn the 2nd Amendment or practically by finding and destroying hundreds of millions of guns) I find so unlikely as to be utopian, and so I think we need to figure out other ways to deal with the problem. If I were King of America, I'd snap my fingers and make them go away--but I'm not and I don't want to have a King of America.

So too with climate change. I would like if the climate stayed relatively the same as it was in the 1970s-80s (for nostalgia?), but it hasn't and we aren't going back. We can't make China or India or Africa deindustrialize or not industrialize in the future. So we have to find another way to deal with the issue and I think we will adapt. If I were King of the World, I would snap my fingers and make the entire world pool scientists and engineers and develop great power systems that would lessen pollution, be carbon neutral, etc. But . . .

Reactions: vesuvius13
What's your operating definition of skeptic here? Not sure how you have multiple options stating climate change is real and expect it to apply to climate change skeptics.

The poll seems predisposed to the suggestion that anyone who doesn't believe climate change is man made is a skeptic.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
What's your operating definition of skeptic here? Not sure how you have multiple options stating climate change is real and expect it to apply to climate change skeptics.

The poll seems predisposed to the suggestion that anyone who doesn't believe climate change is man made is a skeptic.
1) I’m using the operating definition of someone who does not think there should be public efforts to mitigate climate change.

2) the reason for all the “it’s real, but” options is because I’m trying to learn where the hesitance lies and I’ll learn a lot more than by a binary poll of should we do something about climate change.

3) I think they are skeptics, at least to the extent that the scientific consensus is that climate change we’re experiencing is significantly impacted by human behavior.

Reactions: UncleMark
What happened to just a few yrs ago I was hearing about scientist talking about a decrease in solar activity of the sun and we were heading towards an ice age or at least a very cold period ?

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01

If that happens then pay attention to how the political elite live. Are they eating bugs and never getting on a plane? It will turn into a Hunger Games Scenario. The elite live it up while we peons will have to sacrifice to, "save the planet".

1) I’m using the operating definition of someone who does not think there should be public efforts to mitigate climate change.

2) the reason for all the “it’s real, but” options is because I’m trying to learn where the hesitance lies and I’ll learn a lot more than by a binary poll of should we do something about climate change.

3) I think they are skeptics, at least to the extent that the scientific consensus is that climate change we’re experiencing is significantly impacted by human behavior.

Agree with you regarding 2) above. As is the case in so many of these questions (see abortion or affirmative action or gun control or whatever), there are multiple middle ground places one can land.
This choice is closest to where I stand, but reads like it assumes there's no way we can mitigate what we're experiencing and will just have to learn to live with it. I'm holding out hope that's not the case.

I'm old enough to remember ice skating every year on the farm ponds where I grew up and there being snow cover most of the winter. That's certainly not the case today here in southern Indiana. I'm not complaining -- I hate snow and cold weather -- but there's no question in my mind that it's changed in the last sixty years.

What happened to just a few yrs ago I was hearing about scientist talking about a decrease in solar activity of the sun and we were heading towards an ice age or at least a very cold period ?
Is this what you’re referring to?

I don’t recall the chatter and this was the best I could find with a quick google search.

That's when it changed from "global warming" to "Climate change" . They must have more narrative script writer employees than China and India have people, combined!
The Warming crap gig was up ! SHIFT !! HURRY who's got script 37?? hurry

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01
I sure haven't heard anything like that in forever, but do remember that getting a lot of play in the popular press back in maybe the 70s or 80s. I suspect the advent of high speed computer modeling has played a major role in the changed view.

Agree with you regarding 2) above. As is the case in so many of these questions (see abortion or affirmative action or gun control or whatever), there are multiple middle ground places one can land.
This choice is closest to where I stand, but reads like it assumes there's no way we can mitigate what we're experiencing and will just have to learn to live with it. I'm holding out hope that's not the case.

I'm old enough to remember ice skating every year on the farm ponds where I grew up and there being snow cover most of the winter. That's certainly not the case today here in southern Indiana. I'm not complaining -- I hate snow and cold weather -- but there's no question in my mind that it's changed in the last sixty years.
I agree with you on the cold months…especially February. Do you know what the actual temperature difference has been the last decade compared to the late 60s or early 70s?

Climate warming and the recent Covid pandemic have one thing in common.

As a threat and how do deal with it, we are completely divided.

Reactions: Indyhorn
I agree with you on the cold months…especially February. Do you know what the actual temperature difference has been the last decade compared to the late 60s or early 70s?

No, I really don't, but I'm convinced there's been a change. Sure, we still get the occasional hard cold snap, but they seem to be fewer and further between.

We also seem to panic nowadays when it does get cold or snowy. Seems like they're all the time cancelling school just for it being cold, and will cancel it for snow flurries that don't even cover the grass. I don't think they ever cancelled for cold when I was a kid, and they only had snow days when the roads were damn near impassable.

No, I really don't, but I'm convinced there's been a change. Sure, we still get the occasional hard cold snap, but they seem to be fewer and further between.

We also seem to panic nowadays when it does get cold or snowy. Seems like they're all the time cancelling school just for it being cold, and will cancel it for snow flurries that don't even cover the grass. I don't think they ever cancelled for cold when I was a kid, and they only had snow days when the roads were damn near impassable.
A lot more lawyers now?
I’m with you…I think there is a difference just not sure what the science says.
The amount of surface area covered by concrete has contributed to a lot of the change. Obviously that is just my opinion

Reactions: mcmurtry66

With technology now so prevalent in schools, districts cancel for the smallest things.

We got canceled a couple weeks ago because there was a THREAT of incoming weather later in the day. We didn't get more then a inch or two I believe up where I live that day.

I halfway am expecting a W2 from the school system with all the e-learning we've had to do this year. Otherwise, this school year wouldn't end until the start of next school year if we didn't have online learning.

With technology now so prevalent in schools, districts cancel for the smallest things.

We got canceled a couple weeks ago because there was a THREAT of incoming weather later in the day. We didn't get more then a inch or two I believe up where I live that day.

I halfway am expecting a W2 from the school system with all the e-learning we've had to do this year. Otherwise, this school year wouldn't end until the start of next school year if we didn't have online learning.
We are an ever increasing litigious society. The consequences can be seen in all aspects

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
We are an ever increasing litigious society. The consequences can be seen in all aspects

It could be a legal liability issue I suppose, but I think it's more a question of parents being overly concerned about the little darlings.

I live in a 200 unit trailer park. The school bus lets kids off at the front, and the absolute furthest a kid would have to walk home might be a quarter mile. Nevertheless, the parents (or grandparents) are all waiting there in their cars to give the kids a ride home. Within the trailer park. Ran or shine, warm or cold.

I went through kindergarten through third grade in Indy, in the Butler-Tarkington neighborhood. We lived five blocks from the school. We walked, including walking home for lunch.

Is that for Indiana?
I don't have a link for Indiana specifically, but here's a good link that shows the broad strokes changes for all of the US between the time periods you're interested in, and it includes maps, so you can kind of look at Indiana, if you want.

It's changed dramatically up here in Chicago, too.

A lot more lawyers now?
I’m with you…I think there is a difference just not sure what the science says.
The amount of surface area covered by concrete has contributed to a lot of the change. Obviously that is just my opinion
Oh no you don't. Don't blame the lawyers on this one. More likely the teacher's union.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Oh no you don't. Don't blame the lawyers on this one. More likely the teacher's union.
I have never once seen anything that leads me to believe the teachers have any input on school cancellations due to weather. I'll say it again, it's all about the parents.

I have never once seen anything that leads me to believe the teachers have any input on school cancellations due to weather. I'll say it again, it's all about the parents.
Parents I know want their kids in school. But you might be right.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls

I’m in the real but overblown category. Too many doomsday predictions. Unknown actual impact of human involvement (negative, but the degree is highly debated).

Also hard to determine what is human vs earth change cycles.

I sure haven't heard anything like that in forever, but do remember that getting a lot of play in the popular press back in maybe the 70s or 80s. I suspect the advent of high speed computer modeling has played a major role in the changed view.
That's what I remember also but scientist always find a way to dismiss/explain what they said earlier so they can promote their new theory and want everyone to fall in line. In my opinion the climate is always changing but it may be changing more now. I think we should try to take care of our planet but not throw the baby out with the bath water. And it's gonna take all countries to do it... the US can't sacrifice their economy while China and India pour pollution into the atmosphere.

I don't have a link for Indiana specifically, but here's a good link that shows the broad strokes changes for all of the US between the time periods you're interested in, and it includes maps, so you can kind of look at Indiana, if you want.

The maps correspond with my belief. I would love to see a chart with actual numbers for the 60-70 timeline, the 80-90 and then 2010-2020 for my area. But I’m not savvy enough to find that info.

I think it’s time for you City folks to start driving on gravel.

A "skeptic" is someone who demands evidence, data, reason, and thoughtful analysis and, when provided all that, considers whether or not a hypothesis is supported. Scientists are by nature skeptics. As are detectives, judges, etc.

Climate change deniers are not skeptics.

Sorry for the pet peeve rant.

we're all asking the wrong question.

and by all, i mean everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT