ADVERTISEMENT

"Class War over Financial Stability"

The FED will have to crash the economy to wring out inflation unless Biden cooperates with an accompanying fiscal policy.

Beating inflation is simple: encourage the Supply side. Demand is out of control due to being awash in money, which the government hands out. Biden exacerbated inflation when he cut any growth in internal energy.

Encourage the supply side by cutting taxes and regulations and inflation will come down without crashing the economy and we can handle current interest rates.
I am noticing a wonderful trend. I am personally working 6 different projects for customer who are looking to onshore legacy product manufacturing back to the US. All out of China and all looking for different levels of automation. In 20 yrs of doing this, I've never seen this trend before.
This may not apply but your supply side comment made want to mention this.

Reactions: DANC
Pretty simple solution. Don't buy new, and don't worry about the bells and whistles. I'm 38 and have owned 2 trucks and 2 cars. First truck paid cash in high school, first car came with the wife. The other 2 I paid 50% down. Granted, I do my own mechanical work so I get more out of mine. I've maybe had 5 total years worth of car payments and $250 was the most per month.

I don't think it's unreasonable for most people to change their own oil and fluids and keep their car washed. That alone can get you a lot of extra maintenance free miles.
Well, it’s not that simple now. I agree about buying used, but that market is incredibly high as well. Add it you are likely looking at worse financing options.

Reactions: larsIU
Well, it’s not that simple now. I agree about buying used, but that market is incredibly high as well. Add it you are likely looking at worse financing options.
I just bought a used SUV after my transmission crapped out. I got one that had come off a lease and had 28k miles on it. A 2019, but looks like new. I got probably 15 grand off the sticker price.

I thought it was a pretty good deal. There were a few others in the lot I was interested in, but this looked like the best value for me (not a sexy vehicle, but I don't care about that anymore). So, I think there are plenty available - not like a year or so ago.

The FED will have to crash the economy to wring out inflation unless Biden cooperates with an accompanying fiscal policy.

Beating inflation is simple: encourage the Supply side. Demand is out of control due to being awash in money, which the government hands out. Biden exacerbated inflation when he cut any growth in internal energy.

Encourage the supply side by cutting taxes and regulations and inflation will come down without crashing the economy and we can handle current interest rates.

brainwashed idiocracy.

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57

So putting more money in the hands of businesses and the well off wouldn't be inflationary?

I just bought a used SUV after my transmission crapped out. I got one that had come off a lease and had 28k miles on it. A 2019, but looks like new. I got probably 15 grand off the sticker price.

Did the same with The Boss's car. Bought an off lease 2015 model in late 2018. Looked showroom new with 30K. Bought it right, too. Just checked and it's now worth about $2K less than what we paid for it 4 years ago.

Reactions: larsIU and DANC
That's what everyone says until they are asked to show which ones and how much.
I would be ok with choosing.
tbs network comedy GIF by The Detour

So putting more money in the hands of businesses and the well off wouldn't be inflationary?
No, because they reinvest the money to be more productive. More productivity=more product.

It's not my idea - it's exactly what Reagan did.

Reactions: snarlcakes
Did the same with The Boss's car. Bought an off lease 2015 model in late 2018. Looked showroom new with 30K. Bought it right, too. Just checked and it's now worth about $2K less than what we paid for it 4 years ago.
My problem is I put too man miles on vehicles to keep their value. I've always put a lot of miles on my vehicles, but since we moved to Charlotte, I take the grandkids to daycare almost every day, come up to Indiana to visit my family and friends and attend IU games, and drive down to Florida a few times.

I drive the wheels off.

My problem is I put too man miles on vehicles to keep their value. I've always put a lot of miles on my vehicles, but since we moved to Charlotte, I take the grandkids to daycare almost every day, come up to Indiana to visit my family and friends and attend IU games, and drive down to Florida a few times.

I drive the wheels off.
Opposite here. We never go anywhere.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Opposite here. We never go anywhere.
During Covid, I found an excuse to drive somewhere every day. I was in hunter-gatherer mode.

Can't stand being a homebody - I have to get out.

During Covid, I found an excuse to drive somewhere every day. I was in hunter-gatherer mode.

Can't stand being a homebody - I have to get out.
I get out every day and so does she. We just don't go far.

Reactions: DANC
Some vacant lots. Just drag one in.
I spent the coldest damn winter of my life in a trailer in 1977. I ran out of money and moved back to my hometown for a semester to get a job and save some money and take classes part-time at IUK. 1978 is known for the blizzard, but 1977 was a freaking icebox. And that trailer was DRAFTY. I'd spend nights just shivering under as many blankets as I could pile on.

Also the winter of Tony Kiritsis. My rooommate and I were glued to Channel 13 for that.

Reactions: snarlcakes
NSo putting more money in the hands of businesses and the well off wouldn't be inflationary?
I’m not sure giving more money to the gov makes much sense. Inefficient. Inept. Dumb ideas. Etc. I’m not sure giving more money to the wealthy does either. Trickle down economics is a failed proposition. I don’t know what the answer is anymore. I think we learned from the pandemic that guaranteed income does give rise to inflation. I don’t know that reparations make much sense either for inflationary and other reasons. I also suspect that if we followed IGW and took all the wealth in the world and divided it equally within a generation it’d be redistributed about like it is now. I’d be out there spending mine like jethro bodine while others would be investing etc

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: All4You and DANC
I’m not sure giving more money to the gov makes much sense. Inefficient. Inept. Dumb ideas. Etc. I’m not sure giving more money to the wealthy does either. Trickle down economics is a failed proposition. I don’t know what the answer is anymore. I think we learned from the pandemic that guaranteed income does give rise to inflation. I don’t know that reparations make much sense either for inflationary and other reasons. I also suspect that if we followed IGW and took all the wealth in the world and divided it equally within a generation it’d be redistributed about like it is now. I’d be out there spending mine like jethro bodine while others would be investing etc
You would be more like Dash Riprock.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
There is never a problem that cutting taxes on the wealthiest doesn't solve.
And there's never been a problem that throwing money at it doesn't solve either.

But I do think things should be more equal because people in congress (a lot are rich) set up rules to benefit the rich. A good example of that is to just look at Medicare premiums. A person whose income is 5 million pays the same premium as a person making $500,000 but below $500,000 there are different premiums depending on income.

You've stumbled on the answer here: give the money to middle class lawyers and the economy will boom!

And there's never been a problem that throwing money at it doesn't solve either.

True. If I were a dictator our policy during high inflation would be higher taxes (mostly on wealthy AND less government spending).

During downturns, lower taxes (mostly on wealthy) and increased government spending.

When the economy is going good, neutral.

I lose Republicans on half, Democrats on half. So no way it happens.

Yes, I am a Keynesian.

No, because they reinvest the money to be more productive. More productivity=more product.

It's not my idea - it's exactly what Reagan did.
Reagan didn't have a debt ceiling problem. He just kicked the can down the road by borrowing against taxpayers' future earnings to pay for 1980s spending. Didn't solve any problems then, and it won't now.

We're just getting to the part where we have to pay for Reagan's tax cuts. And we don't like it.

Anybody can put a party on a credit card, unless the balance is maxed out.

True. If I were a dictator our policy during high inflation would be higher taxes (mostly on wealthy AND less government spending).

During downturns, lower taxes (mostly on wealthy) and increased government spending.

When the economy is going good, neutral.

I lose Republicans on half, Democrats on half. So no way it happens.

Yes, I am a Keynesian.

That's how it's supposed to work, but no one is willing to do the tax increase thing. I'm also not convinced that inflation is all that closely tied to deficit spending. We've been borrowing for decades and inflation has been negligible up until just recently.

Start with HHS and healthcare. An encyclopedia of waste and fraud

Everyone likes to play the "waste, fraud, and abuse" card, but even if that could be curbed it would only amount to a sliver of what would have to be done to reduce deficit spending to any degree. As long as we don't have the balls to get serious about the revenue side, little will change.

If you listen to Dave Ramsey you'll hear him tell people many times that their spending isn't that big of an issue, it's their income. Child care workers making $24K can't be expected to live a middle class life. We can't provide the level of services the people need/expect/demand without being willing to pay for them.

Everyone likes to play the "waste, fraud, and abuse" card, but even if that could be curbed it would only amount to a sliver of what would have to be done to reduce deficit spending to any degree. As long as we don't have the balls to get serious about the revenue side, little will change.

If you listen to Dave Ramsey you'll hear him tell people many times that their spending isn't that big of an issue, it's their income. Child care workers making $24K can't be expected to live a middle class life. We can't provide the level of services the people need/expect/demand without being willing to pay for them.
The amount of fraud and waste under HHS as one example is massive. It’s the perfect evil marriage of gov ineptitude and private corruption and greed. Medicare alone. Pick an agency. Spending has to be reduced. Military. Etc. We need better stewards of our money before the 50 year gov ees like Biden ask for more. Man is a clown. Demanding infrastructure funding go to companies here without a clue that much of the infrastructure components are made overseas so his demands are untenable and give rise to delays he doesn’t understand. More tax revenue when gov is more competent. Until then hell no.

And yes deficit ctrl requires spending cuts and revenue increases.

Last edited:

Ever been to a US base for a military surplus auction? I used to go with my grandpa to Ft Campbell and Ft Knox.
Massive lots of NEW in box or wrap gear along with old stuff. I'm not talking just clothes and small items. Surplus vehicles, helicopter parts, office furniture ect.

As far as regulations, for and example, I used to work in a USDA regulated food facility. I don't see why the state couldn't be responsible for continuous inspection and USDA do spot inspection.

There are at least 70 federal regulatory agencies. No reason to not save just because it won't amount to "that much". Any saving is better than nothing.

As far what Dave Ramsey said I don't think he said spending isn't an issue. Spending is one of the things you have more control over. Not everyone can live a middle classlifestyle. Our government cares so much about low income earners that they send $40 billion to Ukraine. Instead of federally ran programs maybe they give that money to the states to run the same programs there. 50 smaller programs would be more efficient than a single albatross.

Last edited:
Ever been to a US base for a military surplus auction? I used to go with my grandpa to Ft Campbell and Ft Knox.
Massive lots of NEW in box or wrap gear along with old stuff. I'm not talking just clothes and small items. Surplus vehicles, helicopter parts, office furniture ect.

As far as regulations, for and example, I used to work in a USDA regulated food facility. I don't see why the state couldn't be responsible for continuous inspection and USDA do spot inspection.

There are at least 70 federal regulatory agencies. No reason to not save just because it won't amount to "that much". Any saving is better than nothing.
It amounts to far more than mark is willing to credit. From ineligible people still receiving food stamps to military equipment lost in transit to projects funded yet never completed to the prices Medicare pays for equipment. Billions and billions. Taking a third out of peoples’ checks is a big deal. The IG for each agency should be a PR person campaigning on how every last penny is accounted. Gov is a calling. Held to a higher standard than private

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT