ADVERTISEMENT

Clash of the Titans

With the rise of Super Conferences and NIL expands, where does your primary allegiance lie?

• With the individual athletes and their personal brands.

• With the emerging Super Conferences and the epic matchups they promise.

• Undoubtedly with my alma mater, where my heart and memories are anchored.

• All of the above; it's a mix of exciting changes and unwavering loyalty.

Results are only viewable after voting.

cheyennemtnman

All-American
May 29, 2006
Super Conferences vs. NIL

Hey Fellow Hoosiers

There's a seismic shift happening in the world of college sports, and we're all here feeling the tremors. On one side, we have the behemoth Super Conferences, gaining momentum with their powerhouse plays and TV rights, potentially overshadowing smaller conferences. On the other, there is the refreshing and transformative NIL (Name, Image, and Likeness) rights, allowing athletes to capitalize on their personal brand like never before.

With the rise of Super Conferences, the landscape of college sports is shifting towards a world dominated by brand and influence. Their aim? To control the narrative. But in this story of Goliaths, what happens to the Davids – the smaller conferences and colleges that have been the heartbeat of college sports for decades? The athletes in the minimal revenue sports?

Then there's NIL, the game-changer for athletes. Gone are the days when they were shackled by restrictive NCAA regulations. Now, they're free to shine, build their brands, and truly own their identities. But with great power comes great responsibility – and potential complications. With Super Conferences looming large, will athletes find their brand value amplified, or will they risk getting lost in the crowd?

Amidst this tug-of-war, there's us, the fans. Our passion has always been rooted in the game and our beloved alma mater. We've cheered, celebrated, and sometimes even mourned our college teams. But with these shifts, where does our heart indeed lie? With the athletes who dazzle us with their prowess? With the conferences that promise us epic matchups? Or, unwaveringly, with our alma mater, where memories of college rivalries and triumphant victories were forged?

The ground beneath college sports is undeniably shifting. It's a world of brands, influence, and change. One thing's for sure: the game we love is transforming, and it's on us to decide how we navigate this new era.

Where do you stand amidst this monumental shift?

You have college coaches of state run universities that are the highest paid employees in the state. And now you are being asked to reach into your pockets even deeper to pay those semi-professional student athletes. But it is illegal for those coaches to do the same.

Suckers! Over the next few years college football is going to look more like minor league baseball.

You have college coaches of state run universities that are the highest paid employees in the state. And now you are being asked to reach into your pockets even deeper to pay those semi-professional student athletes. But it is illegal for those coaches to do the same.

Suckers! Over the next few years college football is going to look more like minor league baseball.
It already does … the promotions during the game were already minor league baseball

I actually think IUs next football coach will be a success. They have the money and in the right conference.

I actually think IUs next football coach will be a success. They have the money and in the right conference.
Iu will always struggle to be a football power. Facilities way behind, surrounded by powerhouses like OSU, MICH, ND and zero history of being good.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Best guess when that next coach will happen?

I think if Jackson can show signs of being a stud it will give him another few years. If they win 4 games this year though…. I’d say next year.

Iu will always struggle to be a football power. Facilities way behind, surrounded by powerhouses like OSU, MICH, ND and zero history of being good.
A success is going to a bowl game every year. Never gonna be OSU.

Reactions: stollcpa

I agree. I posted a few years ago a question.
If your alma mater just paid players to play for them - not students, don’t live on campus, might be in their 30s - would we still follow as closely?
If we had a team made up of real students - get accepted to the business school, music school, chemistry, etc - then go out for the various sports; would we root for them?

A success is going to a bowl game every year. Never gonna be OSU.
Damn..
You saying Indiana can't be as good in football as Duke ?..Indiana ought to be on the line of 6 or 7 wins every yr.
If not..The administration is completely inept...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT