ADVERTISEMENT

Best IU class ever?

and still # 10 in the BIG
This right here is why I get pissed off. No effort to compare the classes at all. Laziness. We have the same number of 4 stars as Wisconsin and more 3 stars. They’re ranked higher because a couple of 3 stars are rated higher at 5.7. But you’re telling me that a class filled with guys with excellent offer lists, filled with multiple guys rated at 4 stars on different sites, and a class nearly identical to Wisconsin isn’t good enough? Really? Do you actually care about the program developing and winning or do you just want to brag to your friends in the off-season about the recruiting class ranking? Northwestern was ranked last. Do you think they’re going in the tank now? They got some really nice players.

And now you won’t respond and won’t post again until around August, when you post your next drive by one liner.

I haven't said it "over and over", though others have certainly done so in touting the class. They've also insulted those of us solely because we have a differing view, which the mods seem to willingly permit. Strange that those inconsistencies are encouraged, don't you think?

23 of your first 25 posts are exactly the same, minimizing the recruiting class. You are right...that's not over and over at all. Welcome back.

Reactions: JohnsyRick
Since you said one of this year’s IU signees is from “your area,” which I’d assume is Virginia, and you must have watched him quite a bit “live” in high school as well, what do you think of him as a recruit? Give us some real input rather than just sweeping generalizations about the class.
Have only seen him play once. Big kid and frame but basically a straight ahead blocker. I would think he could help them (be in the 2 deep in a couple years).

23 of your first 25 posts are exactly the same, minimizing the recruiting class. You are right...that's not over and over at all. Welcome back.
Calling a class that is ranked in the bottom third nationally and in the BiG "decent" is minimizing it? That makes no sense at all. What I didn't do is claim it's as good as Wisconsin's or that it's going to push IU up in the conference, as several have done. It's way too early to make that kind of judgment.

Reactions: fpeaugh
This right here is why I get pissed off. No effort to compare the classes at all. Laziness. We have the same number of 4 stars as Wisconsin and more 3 stars. They’re ranked higher because a couple of 3 stars are rated higher at 5.7. But you’re telling me that a class filled with guys with excellent offer lists, filled with multiple guys rated at 4 stars on different sites, and a class nearly identical to Wisconsin isn’t good enough? Really? Do you actually care about the program developing and winning or do you just want to brag to your friends in the off-season about the recruiting class ranking? Northwestern was ranked last. Do you think they’re going in the tank now? They got some really nice players.

And now you won’t respond and won’t post again until around August, when you post your next drive by one liner.

You’ll need to forgive IND22.
He was predicting big things from IU in basketball this year and it has caused him to paint everything negatively. He’s posting from his padded cell.

One of the last things he was praying for was a DeRon Davis transfer.

I can't speak to what posters predicted then but I have no doubt they were all in on the upward momentum of the program and recruiting under Wilson until he was pushed out, then he was the repository for all of their blame. Recruiting wasn't good, the system was bad, coaching was inadequate. It's why they do things like cheer a recruiting class comprised of players they've never seen and dismiss rankings or better yet equate 50 and 30. It's strange.

You two self-described “realists” aren’t any more aware how good or bad the recruits are than those who are excited by them.

I for one was hugely bullish and excited about the Wilson hire (by FGlass) when it happened. I was patient, I kept thinking “we’re close” but I started getting frustrated 4-5 years in when he had virtually no QB recruiting success and he was supposed to be the offensive whiz. He did have questionable game management and until Allen arrived, zero real success with the defense.

Games like Rutgers debacle at home loss and the “Minnesota swing pass” and not being able to stop UM from scoring with about a min left at their own 30...kept IU from better winning seasons/bowls and added to the weak program image.

I give Wilson credit for going from doormat to much closer to 6-6 level and not getting blown out like the old days. I don’t think he was abusive, but I do think he had a prickly personality that FG tried to work with and then came to decision “enough” and found himself watching Allen and his culture change & enthusiasm with the defense, his being a proud Hoosier and leadership he liked and pulled the trigger, which is his prerogative as AD.

Year 1 for Allen had a good 3 winnable games hat got away which was very disappointing no doubt. But without being a total apologist or excuse maker, their schedule was so front loaded and their bye week change from week 7 to week 2 did take a toll. But the team never quit, played top teams very tough and had a young offense that struggled.

To see what happened since 5-7 seSon ended was impressive to many. They hustled and signed all early signees, got a UofMiami center transfer, 3 more FL Feb signees, all on Defense, and an impressive new S/C leadership team. And 5 going to NFL combine.

That’s a fair, realistic assessment of pre-Tom Allen and post Tom Allen at IU.

A 4-star QB recruit, huge inroads of FL recruits leading to one of largest program jumps in country, a top 30 defense 2 yrs in a row. All changes for positive for IU program.

Next season is new year and of course Allen needs to show program momentum. But it seems very within the realm of possibility to hit 7-5, a two game improvement and return to a bowl game.

This is an IU fan site not an IU criticism specific board. Try giving Allen the benefit of the doubt for 1-2 more years, as any coach deserves 3-years to make a mark or at least show the trend lines.

Think people are going to be surprised, as I see similarities to Eagles Doug Pedersen, who has similar intangibles and was also coaching high school FB only 10 yrs ago!

Calling a class that is ranked in the bottom third nationally and in the BiG "decent" is minimizing it? That makes no sense at all. What I didn't do is claim it's as good as Wisconsin's or that it's going to push IU up in the conference, as several have done. It's way too early to make that kind of judgment.

24 of 27

For a coach to win nine games at Indiana, the minimum we can do in recruiting right now is to make sure we don’t lose before we even play the games. I think Allen has avoided that by bringing a lot of mid level talent. The other part of the recipe is to develop players within a winning system. Since we are only able to attract mid level talent, a lot of our best contributors in a winning system will likely be redshirt upperclassmen. Tom Allen has shown signs that he knows football in the way he calls games and the way he has coached X’s and O’s. Now it’s going to take a couple years before we know if he can implement a winning system that develops productive upperclassmen and wins games. He hasn’t set the world on fire, but I also believe his best talents are in his vision for how the program should be run. From what I’ve seen, he is worth waiting on to be proven wrong. He is especially more appealing when you consider how little downside and baggage he carries.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
We only have one kid from the state of Virginia and he isn’t a blocker.
Aiden Rafftery is from Maryland but went to high school and played in DC. That's right across the river from Virginia. Kind of makes the point of how little people know about the members of the class. Assumed everyone understood that. My fault.

Last edited:
And it’s way too early to make a judgement that it won’t push IU up in the conference or be as good or better than UW’s. Your speculation is no better than anyone else’s . You spend a good deal of time talking about what makes “sense”, what makes zero sense is for you to keep forming new personalities to come here and stir the pot. Why does it bother you so much that some might have a flicker of optimism? You are either truly ill or a PU fan.

Aiden Rafftery is from Maryland but went to high school and played in DC. That's right across the river from Virginia. Kind of makes the point of how little people know about the members of the class. Assumed everyone understood that. My fault.

Correct.....and you being from the state of Virginia, I thought maybe you had something you could share on Ronnie Walker, but you don’t because....well....you pretend to know a lot about our recruiting but you really don’t follow it much. You just make pronouncements on it from afar. That was how ilovedlucys did it too.

I don’t think anybody can make guarantees about classes. That’s why this is for entertainment.

I do hope it ends up better than “The Movement” or that heralded Wilson class where half the guys left or were kicked off.

Wisconsin is an excellent program with nearly three decades of a demonstrated reputation for recruiting and developing players that fit their culture. Iowa has a similar reputation and culture and an even longer duration of using that to compete at the upper levels of the BiG. Northwestern has done it successfully and with that cultural advantage since the middle 90's. In each case, their recruiting can be trusted because the formula is tried and true, as the results consistently reflect.

IU has no such reputation, nor does Tom Allen. He may develop it ver time, but it's non-existent now. And suggesting that you or anyone here knows anything about the talent that you've never seen play rings hollow. Highlight videos make anyone look good, which s why fans love them and coaches largely ignore them. They never show how someone plays away from the ball, for instance, and coaches watch closely for that. They appeal to fans for a reason.

As for David Ballou, I hope he does well. But he's less than two years removed from a strength and conditioning job at a pseudo high school and only has one season of college experience. I seriously doubt anyone here knew what he was doing or where he was three months ago, but he's now accorded almost mythical status (kind of like the recruiting class that no one has seen). His methods sound interesting, but they're hardly unique or space age. It's the IU football way . . . Ramp up expectations based on scant information and then make excuses when the "actual" fails to meet the "hoped for". For those of us who have seen this Groundhogs Day display for years and years, maybe waiting for results makes more sense.

Now, I've already been threatened with banishment because I haven't toed the party line, so I should leave it at that.
So by your logic, we should just give up football because we don’t have this “reputation” you speak of ? How do you know Tom Allen won’t build that reputation like UW or Iowa ? I’ll answer for you, you don’t.
I find it amusing that you are criticizing board members for being pleased with the class based on ratings and videos, yet you are critical of the class based on those same rankings. You have no idea how this class will turn out, none.
As for Ballou, let’s talk after next season, you will see results. If you think waiting for results makes more sense, fine, but in the meantime, check your petty criticisms at the door and give the man a chance.

Correct.....and you being from the state of Virginia, I thought maybe you had something you could share on Ronnie Walker, but you don’t because....well....you pretend to know a lot about our recruiting but you really don’t follow it much. You just make pronouncements on it from afar. That was how ilovedlucys did it too.

I don’t think anybody can make guarantees about classes. That’s why this is for entertainment.

I do hope it ends up better than “The Movement” or that heralded Wilson class where half the guys left or were kicked off.
Never claimed to know anything about Walker, since he's from the Richmond area. I have seen Rafferty play and wanted to mention that, since you don't follow it at all. Again, it's a decent class.

As for David Ballou, I hope he does well. But he's less than two years removed from a strength and conditioning job at a pseudo high school and only has one season of college experience. I seriously doubt anyone here knew what he was doing or where he was three months ago, but he's now accorded almost mythical status (kind of like the recruiting class that no one has seen). His methods sound interesting, but they're hardly unique or space age. It's the IU football way . . .
No you are just fishing and I try like hell to not call people names on these boards but you are a fool.

Ballou already proved himself at arguably the top high school program in the country with results that were sick.

You sound like Pelosi, Waters or Wilson which may suit you little whiny b*tch but gtfo.

Never claimed to know anything about Walker, since he's from the Richmond area. I have seen Rafferty play and wanted to mention that, since you don't follow it at all. Again, it's a decent class.

Sure.
It’s all good. You really this dense?

You are the expert on Raferty having seen him play one time. Got it.
Yet you live in the state of Virginia and cannot comment on 1 of the top 10 players in your own state?
Excellent work again!

You are pretty easy to figure out. I bet you’d bitch if you won the lottery.

Carry on.

Last edited:
No you are just fishing and I try like hell to not call people names on these boards but you are a fool.

Ballou already proved himself at arguably the top high school program in the country with results that were sick.

You sound like Pelosi, Waters or Wilson which may suit you little whiny b*tch but gtfo.

I’m still trying to figure out what he means by “pseudo high school?”

I think he means a prep school but he’s not all too bright so.....

Also, he conveniently left out that Notre Dame saw fit to hire the guy. As he conveniently leaves out many positive facts about anything related to IU.

I would think , even you, would agree that Wisconsin is a pretty solid program. We had as many 4 star commits (1) as they did and two more three star recruits than they did, the only reason we are ranked lower is we have a few guys rated 2 star, therefore, their average star rating (which you seem to prefer) is higher, according to rivals.
Is it so far fetched to believe that when we bring in classes very similar to UW, that we might improve ? They do a great job developing players, especially in the lines, it will be up to our staff to do the same, but we are getting enough talent now to be able to do that. On that note, you haven’t given us your viewpoint (negative to neutral, I’m sure) on the hiring of coach Ballou, in my opinion, that was the biggest “acquisition “ of the offseason and I expect him to make a difference .
I’d say that if a team in the NFL were to sign unheard of players, it wouldn’t make them the patriots. We could say, (Washington drafted a QB in the 6th round, so he’s the next Tom Brady). My view has alwYs been that it doesn’t really matter if the stars or conditions are similar in college either. I’d imagine you could have a similar class to Wisconsin, and either perform just as good, better, or worse than Wisconsin. It just depends on how well each player fits that system, what they bring to the table, and I agree... how well they’re developed. A lot of teams bring in similar classes to Wisconsin and don’t play as well. When chip kelly had similar classes to Wisconsin they played better than Wisconsin, and then beat Wisconsin in the Rosebowl, after having been to the national championship the year before. So again, I think it varies, but the primary predictor of outcomes will Be development, and how well a good fits a system. Not the star rating of the class.

Reactions: 76-1
Wisconsin is an excellent program with nearly three decades of a demonstrated reputation for recruiting and developing players that fit their culture. Iowa has a similar reputation and culture and an even longer duration of using that to compete at the upper levels of the BiG. Northwestern has done it successfully and with that cultural advantage since the middle 90's. In each case, their recruiting can be trusted because the formula is tried and true, as the results consistently reflect.

IU has no such reputation, nor does Tom Allen. He may develop it ver time, but it's non-existent now. And suggesting that you or anyone here knows anything about the talent that you've never seen play rings hollow. Highlight videos make anyone look good, which s why fans love them and coaches largely ignore them. They never show how someone plays away from the ball, for instance, and coaches watch closely for that. They appeal to fans for a reason.

As for David Ballou, I hope he does well. But he's less than two years removed from a strength and conditioning job at a pseudo high school and only has one season of college experience. I seriously doubt anyone here knew what he was doing or where he was three months ago, but he's now accorded almost mythical status (kind of like the recruiting class that no one has seen). His methods sound interesting, but they're hardly unique or space age. It's the IU football way . . . Ramp up expectations based on scant information and then make excuses when the "actual" fails to meet the "hoped for". For those of us who have seen this Groundhogs Day display for years and years, maybe waiting for results makes more sense.

Now, I've already been threatened with banishment because I haven't toed the party line, so I should leave it at that.
Again, I’d disagree. I will use linebacker as an example. If you see a highlight film of a linebacker, and he can diagnose any kind of play quickly, get extension and shed when a lineman reaches him, play man coverage on TE’s and recovers, play zone, hit with proper technique, and run with the fluidity and form you’re looking for, you’d say that the guy is good. You wouldn’t necessarily need to see a ton of tape to form a reasonable conclusion, because the guy has all of the tools you’re looking for. You’re looking beyond “does he make plays”, and looking at “does he actually have skills and traits.” Unless for whatever reason you believe a guy would run with proper technique one play, and then not another lol. If he does it one time, I’d imagine he does it all of the time unless he’s tired.

Your argument only works if you’re considering players with bad fundamentals/technique who are just more talented than their high school competition, which happens. If you had a QB for example who threw nothing but 50 yard touchdown bombs, it’d be pretty clear that he hasn’t shown that he can play QB in college, and is just more talented than the competition. If he’s only facing man coverage in the clips, you have no idea what he can do against zone, or if he can do anything other than launch the ball againat 4 verts against weak competition. Film like that is where you’re 100% correct. If a guy can stack and shed a lineman however, how can you not evaluate him? It’s not as if he’s just blitzing every play. You can figure, “okay this is a relevant situation that a college linebacker would be in, and he uses great technique, and has adequate meansurables.” That should give someone an idea as to whether or not the guy can play. Hell when we would watch film of recruits before they came in we had some idea of what they could do based on film alone and were often right. Like when we watched Zander diamont we were like “why did coach offer him?” And then it was kind of confirmed in a lot of these cases what we concluded on film after a couple days of practice.

Reactions: 76-1
Sure.
It’s all good. You really this dense?

You are the expert on Raferty having seen him play one time. Got it.
Yet you live in the state of Virginia and cannot comment on 1 of the top 10 players in your own state?
Excellent work again!

You are pretty easy to figure out. I bet you’d bitch if you won the lottery.

Carry on.
An expert on Rafferty? No, I never claimed that, only that I'd seen him play. And Walker is from the Richmond area, not DC. Assumed you knew the geography. Also assumed you understood what IMG Academy was, thus the term "pseudo-high school". And everyone but apparently you knew that Ballou was an assistant S&C coach for a year at ND, so I didn't think I needed to tell you that.

I’d say that if a team in the NFL were to sign unheard of players, it wouldn’t make them the patriots. We could say, (Washington drafted a QB in the 6th round, so he’s the next Tom Brady). My view has alwYs been that it doesn’t really matter if the stars or conditions are similar in college either. I’d imagine you could have a similar class to Wisconsin, and either perform just as good, better, or worse than Wisconsin. It just depends on how well each player fits that system, what they bring to the table, and I agree... how well they’re developed. A lot of teams bring in similar classes to Wisconsin and don’t play as well. When chip kelly had similar classes to Wisconsin they played better than Wisconsin, and then beat Wisconsin in the Rosebowl, after having been to the national championship the year before. So again, I think it varies, but the primary predictor of outcomes will Be development, and how well a good fits a system. Not the star rating of the class.
I don’t disagree, I never said that having a class “similar” to UW in stars would automatically turn us into UW. That is exactly my point, we won’t know until down the line how these classes shake out. But the poster in question continues to harp on his “decent” assessment of the class. He has zero idea, nor do any of us, how this class will turn out. Therefore, he is every bit as guilty with his assessment as the people he is criticizing for daring to be optimistic.

An expert on Rafferty? No, I never claimed that, only that I'd seen him play. And Walker is from the Richmond area, not DC. Assumed you knew the geography. Also assumed you understood what IMG Academy was, thus the term "pseudo-high school". And everyone but apparently you knew that Ballou was an assistant S&C coach for a year at ND, so I didn't think I needed to tell you that.

You used the term “pseudo” incorrectly in the context. That term implies “fake” and carried a negative slant. Something you likely did intentionally because you were talking about Ballou’s past. Pretty standard MO for ilovedlucys so....carry on.

Reactions: 76-1 and JohnsyRick
You used the term “pseudo” incorrectly in the context. That term implies “fake” and carried a negative slant. Something you likely did intentionally because you were talking about Ballou’s past. Pretty standard MO for ilovedlucys so....carry on.
Again, I assumed you knew something about IMG Academy, which you obviously do not. And the term had nothing whatsoever to do with Ballou but was instead in reply to your characterization of it as a "prep" school. By the way, speakers imply, listeners infer. I incorrectly assumed you knew the difference.

Last edited:
He was FosterHarper when I banned him.

Virg why don't you take a break? Everybody knows where you stand on the recruiting class, you don't have to say it over and over and over. In fact that's why I blacklisted you, you were a broken record raining on everyone's parade. Give it a rest please.
So tell us why you blacklisted someone for asking a question in the thread you started about a month ago? You put that person on notice for no reason and all he did was ask a question.

So tell us why you blacklisted someone for asking a question in the thread you started about a month ago? You put that person on notice for no reason and all he did was ask a question.
So AyeUHoosYours is back with a new name ... Upset Alert. I trust you will have something positive to contribute.

And to answer your question, I'm not going to b/c I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you.

DC is a long way from Naperville, IL. Was he on TV?
No, my principle residence is there. Are you truly a mod here? If so, why? And why do you permit and now participate in attacks here, which are a violation of the forum rules? And why are you here, if you have nothing of substance to contribute?

No, my principle residence is there. Are you truly a mod here? If so, why? And why do you permit and now participate in attacks here, which are a violation of the forum rules? And why are you here, if you have nothing of substance to contribute?
1). Yes I am a forum moderator.
2). I was asked to stay on by the new management due to my knowledge of the history of the forum and its members.
3). I permit attacks on posters who give the impression they are PU fans masquerading as IU fans but I do not participate.
4). I am here to take out the trash. I contribute on the premium forum.

I fully am aware this recruiting class is better than normal by IU standards. I also understand a patriotic and charged up fan base to declare "we are getting there" as a feel good monologue to keep the hope for the future. As a fan, I can't disagree with whatever anyone has to say because in reality nobody knows how recruiting rankings will play out.

On that note, last year was a disappointment and I fall into the category of expecting 7-8 wins even though I didn't express them on this board. But I did say Purdue was going to beat us and got hammered by everybody on here, so I don't let my rooting interest get in the way of reality.

In my opinion, we absolutely have to win a game or two next year as underdogs, or it could be just another 12 game season. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm tired of the excuses of why and how IU can't become a solid football program. I still remember when Northwestern and Wisconsin used to be doormats and were our Homecoming games. Every Big 10 school (not including the 4 extra schools) has been to the Rose Bowl in my lifetime except IU and Minnesota. Why can't we? I don't care how we do it, whether we change coaches, qb's, AD's, uniforms, schemes, slogans, starting times, announcers, recruiting tactics, or whatever, I'm all for it.
Fans getting excited in the offseason?

THAT’S CRAZY TALK

@fpeaugh posting/liking posts here cracks me up. How he can show his face after calling a 5-7 season a “trainwreck” boggles my mind. It’s rant after rant after rant...

It’s sports. It’s supposed to be fun. Criticism is fine. Endless obsession over MEDIOCRITY!!! is tiring. A 5-7 season with blown leads after two 6-6 seasons with blown leads is not a trainwreck.

I fully am aware this recruiting class is better than normal by IU standards. I also understand a patriotic and charged up fan base to declare "we are getting there" as a feel good monologue to keep the hope for the future. As a fan, I can't disagree with whatever anyone has to say because in reality nobody knows how recruiting rankings will play out.

On that note, last year was a disappointment and I fall into the category of expecting 7-8 wins even though I didn't express them on this board. But I did say Purdue was going to beat us and got hammered by everybody on here, so I don't let my rooting interest get in the way of reality.

In my opinion, we absolutely have to win a game or two next year as underdogs, or it could be just another 12 game season. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm tired of the excuses of why and how IU can't become a solid football program. I still remember when Northwestern and Wisconsin used to be doormats and were our Homecoming games. Every Big 10 school (not including the 4 extra schools) has been to the Rose Bowl in my lifetime except IU and Minnesota. Why can't we? I don't care how we do it, whether we change coaches, qb's, AD's, uniforms, schemes, slogans, starting times, announcers, recruiting tactics, or whatever, I'm all for it.
Funny that your screen name “Upset Alert” states you joined on January 10, 2018, yet you claim you were “hammered by everyone on here” for predicting a loss to Purdue. How is that possible when you weren’t a posting member then Ord, eh , I mean Upset Alert ?
I, for one, never hammered anyone for predicting a loss to PU, if you can show otherwise, have at it, you can’t. I don’t predict game or season outcomes, just think it is a waste of time, but understand others enjoy putting forth their best Nostradamus, and that is ok.
We all want to win and go to the Rose Bowl, but attacking others and constantly droning nothing but negatives at IU on a IU message board will not accomplish anything. I don’t believe your antics here have anything to do with wanting IU to win.

OMG this is absolutely hilarious. Multiple personality board disorder CKWCTAitis. If you create multiple personalities on an internet board and talk to yourself. Now I need to create a med. If you have blah blah blah you may need Mod-status. Symptoms may cause jumping off a cliff, name calling, head shaking, disbelief, and death.

TestySlimyBighornedsheep-max-1mb.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT