ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Colts draft grades

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
For me it looked liked the Colts were still looking for the next Dwight Freeney when they picked up the UCLA edge. Looks like the overall average is B++

I liked what I read about the OL talent that was drafted.

9 Picks this year.
Round 1 • Pick 15 (15) • EDGE Laiatu Latu
Round 2 • Pick 20 (52) • WR Adonai Mitchell
Round 3 • Pick 15 (79) • OT Matt Goncalves
Round 4 • Pick 17 (117) • C Tanor Bortolini
Round 5 • Pick 7 (142) • WR Anthony Gould
Round 5 • Pick 16 (151) • SAF Jaylon Carlies
Round 5 • Pick 29 (164) • SAF Jaylin Simpson
Round 6 • Pick 25 (201) • CB Micah Abraham
Round 7 • Pick 14 (234) • DT Jonah Laulu

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/lists/colts-final-2024-nfl-draft-grades/

Last edited:
I hope they had a good plan and stuck to it. It would be nice to see the Colts back to being a top team in the NFL.

Reactions: red hornet
For me it looked liked the Colts were still looking for the next Dwight Freeney when they picked up the UCLA edge. Looks like the overall average is B++

I liked what I read about the OL talent that was drafted.

9 Picks this year.
Round 1 • Pick 15 (15) • EDGE Laiatu Latu
Round 2 • Pick 20 (52) • WR Adonai Mitchell
Round 3 • Pick 15 (79) • OT Matt Goncalves
Round 4 • Pick 17 (117) • C Tanor Bortolini
Round 5 • Pick 7 (142) • WR Anthony Gould
Round 5 • Pick 16 (151) • SAF Jaylon Carlies
Round 5 • Pick 29 (164) • SAF Jaylin Simpson
Round 6 • Pick 25 (201) • CB Micah Abraham
Round 7 • Pick 14 (234) • DT Jonah Laulu

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/lists/colts-final-2024-nfl-draft-grades/
Using a first round pick on a guy with a fused spine is lunacy. How many years do they actually believe he'll be able to play?

Same question as to the OL they moved up to take... My bet is they get two decent seasons out of both of them and they'll finish their careers on IR...

I used to be impressed by Ballard... Not anymore...

They should have used that #1 on the DE from Alabama and kept that higher pick they traded for a Corner.

I hope they had a good plan and stuck to it. It would be nice to see the Colts back to being a top team in the NFL.
Well a third place schedule doesn’t have the storied history of worst to first like the last place schedule has (especially in the era of 5 team divisions). NFC south might have been the easier draw … Packers, Bears and Vikes are all expected to be improved in the “Black and Blue” NFC North. (Lions won that division … and can be expected to struggle a little with the first place schedule … but will be playing with confidence as division champs).

By virtue of finishing third in the AFC South with a 9-8 record, the Colts will play crossover games at Lucas Oil Stadium against the Pittsburgh Steelers (third in AFC North) and on the road against the Denver Broncos (third in AFC West) and New York Giants (third in NFC East).
The Colts, along with the rest of the AFC South, will face the AFC East and NFC North in 2024.
The Colts will host the following teams at Lucas Oil Stadium in 2024:

• Houston Texans
  • Jacksonville Jaguars
  • Tennessee Titans
  • Buffalo Bills
  • Miami Dolphins
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
  • Chicago Bears
  • Detroit Lions
The Colts will face the following teams on the road:
  • Houston Texans
  • Jacksonville Jaguars
  • Tennessee Titans
  • New York Jets
  • New England Patriots
  • Denver Broncos
  • New York Giants
  • Green Bay Packers
  • Minnesota Vikings
2024 will mark the first season the Colts will not play the Las Vegas Raiders since 2017; the Colts will host the Steelers at Lucas Oil Stadium for the third consecutive season. The Colts last hosted the Bills in 2018 and the Dolphins in 2019; the Bears and Lions haven't played regular season games at Lucas Oil Stadium since 2016.
The Colts will play two games at MetLife Stadium in 2024, marking the first time they'll play multiple road games against the two New York teams in a single season since 2006, when they beat both the Giants and Jets at Giants Stadium.

https://www.colts.com/news/2024-nfl-schedule-opponents-steelers-raiders-giants-bears-bills-lions

Reactions: vesuvius13
Using a first round pick on a guy with a fused spine is lunacy. How many years do they actually believe he'll be able to play?

Same question as to the OL they moved up to take... My bet is they get two decent seasons out of both of them and they'll finish their careers on IR...

I used to be impressed by Ballard... Not anymore...

They should have used that #1 on the DE from Alabama and kept that higher pick they traded for a Corner.

Yes it does seem odd … knee injuries used to be treated that way, but aren’t now.
(There have been guys with knee injuries drafted before completing rehab).

The injury was in 2021. And Latu played a full season at UCLA in 2023.
Didn’t Manning play after fusing a couple neck vertebrae.

There is a reason it’s called Not For Long

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I didn't like Latu where they took him with every defensive player still available.
He played in the PAC-12 which I don't think is as physical, with their pass happy offenses an end rusher pins his ears back and goes. Latu supposedly isn't much of a tackler. And with his neck I don't blame him. Supposedly not real strong but just good technique.
Hope I'm wrong and even if he's a one trick pony it's a great trick.

I like the rest of the draft. The Texas receiver only watching highlights he looks like a stud for Richardson's gun of an arm. I like it.

Injured lineman, yeah, but 3rd round so the vaunted 'upside'.

Wisconsin center, I can't see that being bad... So they are trying to protect Richardson and still add weapons for him.

Gould is fast. His highlights show him easing up waiting on throws after he burned the defense. Adjusts well.

I hated the Latu pick. Like the rest. Maybe Latu will stay healthy and be a stud.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Yes it does seem odd … knee injuries used to be treated that way, but aren’t now.
(There have been guys with knee injuries drafted before completing rehab).

The injury was in 2021. And Latu played a full season at UCLA in 2023.
Didn’t Manning play after fusing a couple neck vertebrae.

There is a reason it’s called Not For Long
Manning wasn't doing any bull rushing or attempting to tackle anyone...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT