ADVERTISEMENT

Back to paper, kids

Digital textbooks are trash. I've noticed even using them myself as an adult in grad school, the material doesn't sink in as well.

We've basically banned the use of screens for our kids, with the exception of 1 hour / day of TV or video games. They won't be getting a phone until at least high school. Hoping to avoid the zombies that MCM and Lars are dealing with.

We really dislike how much the tablets and such are used in their school, as is... Though some of the teachers are starting to push away from it, at least the non lazy ones, I've noticed.

We have friends with similar aged kids that pulled their kids from our school and are sending them to a school with zero screen usage - outside of specific actual tech classes.

This has been known for years of course, rich families send their kids to private schools that offer zero or very limited screen interaction... Particularly for K-6.

Last edited:
They won't be getting a phone until at least high school
i'm raising the walking dead son. concur with your post completely save the above. in theory i totally agree with your take on phones but in reality you're going to have an outcast. every single kid in my daughter's class had a phone in 6th grade. you don't want your kid out of the friend loop. those connections are impt to their growth and well-being. just limit phone time in the same way. no zombie scrolling etc.

my daughter is on four chat groups with friends, and her church crew. it's important

i'm raising the walking dead son. concur with your post completely save the above. in theory i totally agree with your take on phones but in reality you're going to have an outcast. every single kid in my daughter's class had a phone in 6th grade. you don't want your kid out of the friend loop. those connections are impt to their growth and well-being. just limit phone time in the same way. no zombie scrolling etc.

my daughter is on four chat groups with friends, and her church crew. it's important

We'll see but I doubt it. My wife is more militant about it than I am. I could see maybe by 7th grade or so.

We'll see but I doubt it. My wife is more militant about it than I am. I could see maybe by 7th grade or so.
i think 7th grade is perfect. my daughter's class had a tsunami of getting phones in the 6th grade but in all honesty her school district is very unique inasmuch as damn near everyone is divorced so it was a bit self-interested. i literally remember laughing with our divorced dads' crew at school how nice it is to communicate directly with our kids and not have to go through the ex

I could see one of those locked down phones that is basically only calling and texting. No social media apps.

Reactions: BradStevens
I could see one of those locked down phones that is basically only calling and texting. No social media apps.
it ain't easy brother. ive said before that one day i was scrolling facebook and on "people you might know" there's my daughter lol WTF!!! i chewed her out. then a month later on my secret burner gram account i was stalking my ex stoker and clicked on one of her posts and bam in the comments section - my daughter commenting. I LOVE THIS!!!!!! unreal

Hoping to avoid the zombies that MCM and Lars are dealing with.
echoing mcm's statements but, yeah, worst parenting decision we ever made was caving when she was 12.

If I had the ability to do it over again........

The only problem you'll run into is your kid will be a social pariah and will probably get bullied over it. Shit deal all around.

i think 7th grade is perfect. my daughter's class had a tsunami of getting phones in the 6th grade but in all honesty her school district is very unique inasmuch as damn near everyone is divorced so it was a bit self-interested. i literally remember laughing with our divorced dads' crew at school how nice it is to communicate directly with our kids and not have to go through the ex

Yeah pretty much the opposite situation at our school. I have no idea the actual school wide numbers but at least as far as the 3rd grade and kindergarten classes, I know of maybe 4 or 5 kids from divorced parents out of a total 120 kids across our two grades.

Yeah pretty much the opposite situation at our school. I have no idea the actual school wide numbers but at least as far as the 3rd grade and kindergarten classes, I know of maybe 4 or 5 kids from divorced parents out of a total 120 kids across our two grades.
my ex wife bought a new house so for junior high my daughter switched districts and that's how it is with her school now. but my district, the grade school in my district, was madness. everyone divorced. made for great halloween street parties and shit. disney dads gone wild

That's interesting. I wonder why that is, what is it the brain struggles with? I wonder if the paperwhite e-readers do better, I find my paperwhite easier to read though it handles images terribly. It is older, maybe that has improved.

echoing mcm's statements but, yeah, worst parenting decision we ever made was caving when she was 12.

If I had the ability to do it over again........

The only problem you'll run into is your kid will be a social pariah and will probably get bullied over it. Shit deal all around.

Yeah, about the same for us. About 7th grade she got an old phone w wifi. Christmas of 7th grade we got it added to cellular.

Mom has to approve all apps added. Just allowed Tik Tok and Snapchat last summer (before 8th).

We drive up to Lawrence 3 times a week w 5-7 Bloomington soccer girls, and they typically just finish homework, and play Roblox. Snapchat stupid pictures of their faces close up, and occasionally Tik Tok nonsensical dances.

She doesn't listen to hip hop, but we've banned her from (accidently) making videos of her singing or dancing to any music other than Taylor Swift or Vampire Weekend. Too much risk regarding lyrics she doesn't understand. :D

Digital textbooks are trash. I've noticed even using them myself as an adult in grad school, the material doesn't sink in as well.

We've basically banned the use of screens for our kids, with the exception of 1 hour / day of TV or video games. They won't be getting a phone until at least high school. Hoping to avoid the zombies that MCM and Lars are dealing with.

We really dislike how much the tablets and such are used in their school, as is... Though some of the teachers are starting to push away from it, at least the non lazy ones, I've noticed.

We have friends with similar aged kids that pulled their kids from our school and are sending them to a school with zero screen usage - outside of specific actual tech classes.

This has been known for years of course, rich families send their kids to private schools that offer zero or very limited screen interaction... Particularly for K-6.

My wife and I said no phones until high school and then middle school hit and we always said they had to do something extracurricular.

My oldest ran track and my middle volleyball, which was cool. Problem was on away games, they didn't get back from some games until after 9 because we're in the country and schools are so spread apart. I'm not staying at the school just waiting around so boom, they got cell phones when they went into sports.

I got them prepaid through AT&T and didn't tell them about turning on the wifi when home so it took them a little bit to figure out that they could save their data if they turned it on. It doesn't use anything to talk or text but once that data is gone for the month, they are out of luck.

My youngest already knows the tricks from both her sisters so she's chomping at the bit for her own phone.

it ain't easy brother. ive said before that one day i was scrolling facebook and on "people you might know" there's my daughter lol WTF!!! i chewed her out. then a month later on my secret burner gram account i was stalking my ex stoker and clicked on one of her posts and bam in the comments section - my daughter commenting. I LOVE THIS!!!!!! unreal
Need the name on your secret gram burner account

It happens later. Most divorces of my kid’s friends parents occurred in middle school.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT