ADVERTISEMENT

B1G stats as of 4/18/22...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
It appears that the stats they have are current through the weekend's games and I might also add that teams have played anywhere from 31 to 36 games (IU at 34 games), so when you look at totals and not percentages, we have to keep in mind the number of games played. In the three major categories we are 9th in batting (.274), 13th (last) in pitching (7.14 ERA), 5th in fielding (.975). In pitching, we lead in hit batters at 67 and it's not even close. We are tied for the most WPs at 45, although Iowa which also has 45 has played two fewer games, so they actually lead in that category. We are tops in issuing walks at 197 and it's not even close, and we lead the league in giving up ERs. On the positive side, we are 2nd in the B1G in registering Ks. We have some players represented in the top ten leaders in hitting with Ellis still 1st in HRs and he is 5th in RBIs, Whalen is 3rd in SBs, while Doanes is 5th in walks, just to name three. We also have representation in some of the other top ten batting categories. When it comes to pitching, we are represented in the top ten of some of the negative categories such as Brehmer and Perkins being 1-2 in hit batters, and Kraft is also in the top ten in that category. When it comes to individual pitching, I might point out that there is obviously a disparity in the innings pitched by pitchers when you are looking at just totals in each category.

I might add that it is interesting that our opponent this weekend in Nebraska is last in batting while we are last in pitching. Also, our opponent this past weekend in Rutgers, is 1st in all three major categories of batting, pitching and fielding.

I think no hbp yesterday and Reese being “sharp” for 4+ innings… yes except for three bad pitches.. but RU leads in hitting for a reason…

I think no hbp yesterday and Reese being “sharp” for 4+ innings… yes except for three bad pitches.. but RU leads in hitting for a reason…
FWIW, I think that Mercer probably stayed with Brehmer a couple of hitters too long yesterday before pulling him, but that's hindsight when everything is 20/20.

Reactions: mk30
It appears we are applying the hitting logic of swing hard in case you hit it to pitching. The new age (analytics) is hard to stomach for old school players, coaches, fans.

Instead of every swing trying to hit the ball out, put it in play. Put pressure on the defense to make a play. Instead of strike every hitter out, let your defense help you. Old school.

Launch angle, exit velocity, spin rate, and all this other jazz has a place, but clearly isn’t the do-all, end-all in the college game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT