ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn - Atl?

Why does this bother you SO much?
It's one freaking basketball game against a good opponent.
What is the down side?
Exactly - I love it - live in North Carolina and will be there with my candy striped pants on!

Reactions: kkott
Weird that I click on this thread today and first thing I see is everyone talking about the traffic. Have delivered many a bus from high point NC to Houston over the years towing my car….dieasel, propane and CNG powered. Delivered shuttle bus in Evington VA and headed down to fort valley (bluebird factory) to pick a bus headed to chittenango NY (just east of Syracuse) will let ya know how traffic was this trip tomorrow but forecast is……lots of traffic and at least 2 fender benders I’ll have to negotiate

Trust me, they do. It’s like their Super Bowl…
The only Super Bowl that exists for an Auburn fan, is with a school who's name begins and ends with the letter A, and a sport where the ball isn't round.

The only Super Bowl that exists for an Auburn fan, is with a school who's name begins and ends with the letter A, and a sport where the ball isn't round.
Went to school there, played there, have Season tickets there. Not gonna get into a pissin match, we will see...

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
played there, have Season tickets there
basketball or football? You went to school there and you think Auburn fans will treat an off-campus bball game in December like their Super Bowl? I've met a couple dozen Auburn fans in Charlotte and I've tried to engage them in bball talk, and while most of them know their bball team is improving, and they have a coach who is doing good things, none of them have been able to talk bball, or had any interest in it. Many of them would drive to Atl for a football game (Preferably the SEC Championship). I don't think any would even consider it for a bball game. Yes, we'll see!

Went to school there, played there, have Season tickets there. Not gonna get into a pissin match, we will see...
basketball or football? You went to school there and you think Auburn fans will treat an off-campus bball game in December like their Super Bowl? I've met a couple dozen Auburn fans in Charlotte and I've tried to engage them in bball talk, and while most of them know their bball team is improving, and they have a coach who is doing good things, none of them have been able to talk bball, or had any interest in it. Many of them would drive to Atl for a football game (Preferably the SEC Championship). I don't think any would even consider it for a bball game. Yes, we'll see!
You both are right. Auburn set records in attendance on the road in SEC/conference games. OOC games not so much. Pearl says auburn fans travel like UK fans now. That’s a little bit of an embellishment. I bet IU outsells this game but by how much? We will see.

Reactions: Kellerdog
You both are right. Auburn set records in attendance on the road in SEC/conference games. OOC games not so much. Pearl says auburn fans travel like UK fans now. That’s a little bit of an embellishment. I bet IU outsells this game but by how much? We will see.
NCAA Attendance 20-21

According to this, we're 9th, Auburn not top 30 @ 9100. 30th is 11K+, so maybe not top 50? You guys have me wondering if I'm right, but I still think there will be a lot more cream and crimson than orange and blue. Heck, we have a thread with alot of discussion about it and I think the game just made it on Auburn's official schedule.

PS, seems their arena only seats 9100 so they are at least selling it out, but smallest in the SEC.

Last edited:
NCAA Attendance 20-21

According to this, we're 9th, Auburn not top 30 @ 9100. 30th is 11K+, so maybe not top 50? You guys have me wondering if I'm right, but I still think there will be a lot more cream and crimson than orange and blue. Heck, we have a thread with alot of discussion about it and I think the game just made it on Auburn's official schedule.

PS, seems their arena only seats 9100 so they are at least selling it out, but smallest in the SEC.
They broke “their records”. Travel wise. Still remains to be seen how many. Again this was SEC games not preseason. So how many people from IU travel? I’d say more than auburn but by how much is the question.

They broke “their records”. Travel wise. Still remains to be seen how many. Again this was SEC games not preseason. So how many people from IU travel? I’d say more than auburn but by how much is the question.
IU fans travel well, and that I've experienced, as well as Auburn fans in Charlotte having no interest in their own bball program. Folks who were at the AZ game in Vegas last year, as well as announcers, all commented on how many more IU fans were there than AZ, and that was much closer (drivable) for them and it's a bball school. ATL may be less desirable than Vegas as a destination, but I think the fans who can drive to that as a local game, will more than offset the folks who might not fly in because it's not as desirable a location as NYC or Vegas. There are tons of IU grads in Charlotte, Knoxville, Gville-Spart, and Atl and the surrounding areas. I expect much the same: announcers saying it feels like a home game for IU and more Hoosiers than Tigers and I think if you attend, you'll see the same. I'm looking forward to it and glad that it gives me a chance to get to see a game in person again!

Reactions: DANC and Kellerdog
IU fans travel well, and that I've experienced, as well as Auburn fans in Charlotte having no interest in their own bball program. Folks who were at the AZ game in Vegas last year, as well as announcers, all commented on how many more IU fans were there than AZ, and that was much closer (drivable) for them and it's a bball school. ATL may be less desirable than Vegas as a destination, but I think the fans who can drive to that as a local game, will more than offset the folks who might not fly in because it's not as desirable a location as NYC or Vegas. There are tons of IU grads in Charlotte, Knoxville, Gville-Spart, and Atl and the surrounding areas. I expect much the same: announcers saying it feels like a home game for IU and more Hoosiers than Tigers and I think if you attend, you'll see the same. I'm looking forward to it and glad that it gives me a chance to get to see a game in person again!
I remember CTC last game & Ga Tech in the NIT on their home floor (shoulda been IU's) it was 60/40 IU.

I remember CTC last game & Ga Tech in the NIT on their home floor (shoulda been IU's) it was 60/40 IU.
well, until we got into the rabbit hole of whether we'd have more, the discussion was why this game made sense, and I think most everyone aside from ivegotwinners recognizes and accepts that. At the very least, it's a neutral site game against a top flight opponent that helps us prepare for tournament style games where IU has some recruiting traction and will receive really solid fan support.

Last edited:
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Why does this bother you SO much?
It's one freaking basketball game against a good opponent.
What is the down side?

wake up, it isn't just one game.

it's almost every non con game vs another major school that is scheduled by IU and not the conference.

and there is no upside, it's a giant FU finger to the season ticket holders and students, and being done for what reason.

and don't give me the "we can't sched major non conf schools home and home total BS.

and in case you haven't noticed, those currently driving college sports, are driving them right off the cliff. so their sht shouldn't be tolerated by anyone anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy

it's almost every non con game vs another major school that is scheduled by IU and not the conference.

and there is no upside, it's a giant FU finger to the season ticket holders and students, and being done for what reason.

and don't give me the "we can't sched major non conf schools home and home total BS.

and in case you haven't noticed, those currently driving college sports, are driving them right off the cliff. so their sht shouldn't be tolerated by anyone anymore.
I’m not sure that you are looking at the biggest piece of the puzzle. Ga is loaded with talent, it was smart to schedule this game. It will sell out.

Reactions: baileyiu and kkott

The game in Atlanta IS one game and that is heading of this thread and what brought on your diatribe.

Take a chill pill, drink a beer, smoke a joint, something to bring you off the ceiling. Damn.

Reactions: kkott and Kellerdog
I’m not sure that you are looking at the biggest piece of the puzzle. Ga is loaded with talent, it was smart to schedule this game. It will sell out.
He's been told that multiple times. Doesn't get it. Thinks it's BS lies.

Elevator stops before it gets to the top floor.

Reactions: kkott and Kellerdog
Remember how “AZ travels so well they will own the place talk”. Oops, we owned the place.

AU has a ton of alumni in the ATL market but I seriously doubt they will be “like IU playing in Indy” as was posted recently.

We shall see.

I'm damn glad we're playing the Auburns of the world and don't give two cruds where we do it, but Atlanta seems like the college basketball mecca for that afternoon, anyway.
I don't think they start it that early, but, I thought about it and I think the worst thing for IU that could happen would be if this were the college gameday game that day. That likely would bring in a large extra contingent of Auburn fans who I don't think would otherwise go. IU fans will already be planning to go, as evidenced by this thread!

Speaking of which, if anyone sees notices about tickets, either through IU or the venue, will you please post? I definitely am planning to go.

Well, breaking "their records" travel-wise, is like saying you're the best looking shirt in the lost and found... a very backhanded compliment. Prior to the last few years, breaking their record for any away game probably means getting 2,000 folks there. I've already shown they have the smallest seating capacity of any SEC school. Heck, if they were so serious about bball and have this incredible fan support, wouldn't they be addressing that? From everything I've seen, their focus as a school and fanbase is all football. I'm very curious about Keller's views from his experience there, but the Auburn folks I know and have talked with, couldn't care less about basketball, unless it somehow helped their football program. I've enjoyed watching Pearl's progress, and I guess the fact that he's stuck around there shows he believes he can elevate the program even more, and up to a level that would be considered a "basketball power". Will be interesting to continue to watch. I obviously couldn't disagree with i'vegotwinners more though, and think this is a very smart and solid game and locale.

Well, breaking "their records" travel-wise, is like saying you're the best looking shirt in the lost and found... a very backhanded compliment. Prior to the last few years, breaking their record for any away game probably means getting 2,000 folks there. I've already shown they have the smallest seating capacity of any SEC school. Heck, if they were so serious about bball and have this incredible fan support, wouldn't they be addressing that? From everything I've seen, their focus as a school and fanbase is all football. I'm very curious about Keller's views from his experience there, but the Auburn folks I know and have talked with, couldn't care less about basketball, unless it somehow helped their football program. I've enjoyed watching Pearl's progress, and I guess the fact that he's stuck around there shows he believes he can elevate the program even more, and up to a level that would be considered a "basketball power". Will be interesting to continue to watch. I obviously couldn't disagree with i'vegotwinners more though, and think this is a very smart and solid game and locale.

Auburn fans certainly travel​

The stands at State Farm Arena are filled with Auburn Tiger fans this evening as hundreds made their way to Atlanta, Ga. Atlanta is less than a two-hour drive from Auburn, but as many SEC fans know, Auburn's fan base would've shown up if this game was played on the moon.

I won’t dispute anything you say but he’s right too. Auburn travels very well. Especially after SEC football season. I’m not saying they will outnumber IU fans but I bet they bring it for this game. This was Andy Katz saying this by the way.

Auburn fans certainly travel​

The stands at State Farm Arena are filled with Auburn Tiger fans this evening as hundreds made their way to Atlanta, Ga. Atlanta is less than a two-hour drive from Auburn, but as many SEC fans know, Auburn's fan base would've shown up if this game was played on the moon.

I won’t dispute anything you say but he’s right too. Auburn travels very well. Especially after SEC football season. I’m not saying they will outnumber IU fans but I bet they bring it for this game. This was Andy Katz saying this by the way.
OK, I'll give them more credit than I have previously. None of the Auburn fans I've encountered made that trip I'd bet. And, I think the video is a bit misleading: "hundreds" made the trip? Notice the black ring around the top of the arena; I think they had the upper level blocked off. Here's the attendance recap from the box score of this game (Memphis last year?): 7800 folks? I think the upper level won't be blocked off for IU v Auburn and I think IU will bring more than "hundreds". I'd agree with what you said: we're both right. Auburn bball is traveling better than I gave them credit and I still think we'll have more fans there!

State Farm Arena
5:10 PM, December 10, 2022Coverage: ESPN2
Atlanta, GA
Line: AUB -1.5
Over/Under: 139.5
odds-attribution-caesars-dark.svg

Attendance: 7,795

46%
CAPACITY: 16,888

I don't think they start it that early, but, I thought about it and I think the worst thing for IU that could happen would be if this were the college gameday game that day. That likely would bring in a large extra contingent of Auburn fans who I don't think would otherwise go. IU fans will already be planning to go, as evidenced by this thread!

Speaking of which, if anyone sees notices about tickets, either through IU or the venue, will you please post? I definitely am planning to go.
You can go to the Holiday Hoopsgiving website and sign up for information on ticket sales. I believe they go on sale on August 15th. I'm planning on going as well - relatively short drive from Greensboro, NC. Website is: https://holidayhoopsgiving.com/college-pre-sale/

Remember how “AZ travels so well they will own the place talk”. Oops, we owned the place.

AU has a ton of alumni in the ATL market but I seriously doubt they will be “like IU playing in Indy” as was posted recently.

We shall see.
Yeah, Casey Jacobson Fd that up.

I'm definitely making plans to get down to this game. Wondering how many other folks from the board might; especially those ex-pats living in the South? DanC, Hooky, Cav? Who all is making plans to head down? Anyone heard on the venue or time? Kind of hoping for an evening game and maybe we could set a tailgate at a sports bar nearby? Assuming tix would have to go on sale in the next month or 2.
Sorry, just now saw this. I'm planning on going, and I'd love to meet up with you guys. One caveat - my wife will probably be with me. She doesn't to go many games, but she's a big IU fan/grad and loves to go to away games (doesn't really like to go up for games in Bloomington from Charlotte).

I haven't received any notice from IU yet about tickets, but will try to call them next week (I'm on vacation in the DR right now).

Eh, the DR in August is not my idea of a great time. It's like detassling corn in Indiana - 90 degree days and 90 percent humidity.

If my grandkids weren't here, I wouldn't be here.
well, I'm biased. When I went, which I think was August or Sept... maybe Oct. We were at an all-inclusive resort with great food, drink and pools and our room opened onto the patio and we could walk right down into the pool. Some self-important a-holes were even ordering pitchers of margaritas and brownies from room service, right to their patio.

PS, forgot to mention, but it was a reward trip from a vendor contest, so all it cost me was whatever we tipped.

well, I'm biased. When I went, which I think was August or Sept... maybe Oct. We were at an all-inclusive resort with great food, drink and pools and our room opened onto the patio and we could walk right down into the pool. Some self-important a-holes were even ordering pitchers of margaritas and brownies from room service, right to their patio.
This place is all-inclusive. No pitchers, but plenty of margueritas. We do have an ocean view. The beach is really nice, but you have to pay extra to have the really nice beach lounges. Our kids have that, so we use their room number. lol

Where did you stay? This place is called The Finest - they also have a place in Cancun.

It's about the same price as a week's cruise. It's just hotter than hell. Great family place, though - there's an 'adults only' resort (same owner) next door that shares the facilities and has much hotter women.....

Reactions: hookyIU1990
This place is all-inclusive. No pitchers, but plenty of margueritas. We do have an ocean view. The beach is really nice, but you have to pay extra to have the really nice beach lounges. Our kids have that, so we use their room number. lol

Where did you stay? This place is called The Finest - they also have a place in Cancun.

It's about the same price as a week's cruise. It's just hotter than hell. Great family place, though - there's an 'adults only' resort (same owner) next door that shares the facilities and has much hotter women.....
Sanctuary Cap Cana? It was in Punta Cana. Great food, great drinks and nice beach too.

Reactions: DANC
sounds like someone has some AOTF homework to get cracking on!
I can't take pics without getting punched out by the dads.

But damn..... there is some fine female flesh around here. I'll try to sneak a pic. (one girl today had the most perfect ass I think I've ever seen. She was probably all of 17. :oops: )

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT