ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn - Atl?

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
I'm definitely making plans to get down to this game. Wondering how many other folks from the board might; especially those ex-pats living in the South? DanC, Hooky, Cav? Who all is making plans to head down? Anyone heard on the venue or time? Kind of hoping for an evening game and maybe we could set a tailgate at a sports bar nearby? Assuming tix would have to go on sale in the next month or 2.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I live in greater Atlanta. I'm going. Please post the sports bar of choice on this board.

Has the venue been set? Is it State Farm arena? For those unfamiliar with Atlanta, State Farm arena is a 2-hop ride on a MARTA train from the airport. There are many hotels within walking distance of State Farm. The Omni Hotel is part of the same complex.

Sadly, downtown Atlanta does not have a vibrant night life. You have to make your way to midtown to find restaurants, bars .... Here is a link.

Reactions: 82hoosier and kkott
I live in greater Atlanta. I'm going. Please post the sports bar of choice on this board.

Has the venue been set? Is it State Farm arena? For those unfamiliar with Atlanta, State Farm arena is a 2-hop ride on a MARTA train from the airport. There are many hotels within walking distance of State Farm. The Omni Hotel is part of the same complex.

Sadly, downtown Atlanta does not have a vibrant night life. You have to make your way to midtown to find restaurants, bars .... Here is a link.
How do you announce a game like this without releasing the venue, but I don't think it's been announced. I did see Nate Bargatze is at State Farm the night before and if you haven't had a chance to see him, that would be a very solid double play! What other venues could host a game like that (15K+ capacity?)

I'm definitely making plans to get down to this game. Wondering how many other folks from the board might; especially those ex-pats living in the South? DanC, Hooky, Cav? Who all is making plans to head down? Anyone heard on the venue or time? Kind of hoping for an evening game and maybe we could set a tailgate at a sports bar nearby? Assuming tix would have to go on sale in the next month or 2.
I prob won’t go to this. ATL is not my favorite destination.

8 hour drive to the ATL. Can’t do it! And I’m not flying to that hell hole :).
4 hours from Charlotte. If it's a late afternoon game or evening, I'll probably drive down Saturday morning and just have to spend 1 night. ATL is not my favorite either. Although, I'd really like to catch Nate Bargatze Friday night too!

Reactions: DANC
4 hours from Charlotte. If it's a late afternoon game or evening, I'll probably drive down Saturday morning and just have to spend 1 night. ATL is not my favorite either. Although, I'd really like to catch Nate Bargatze Friday night too!
I’ve driven through ATL too many times. I think 2am is about the only time I enjoy it. 1pm on a Tuesday, traffic. 11 am on a Thursday, traffic. All ****ing day Friday, (always the day I would be going home) traffic.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
How do you announce a game like this without releasing the venue, but I don't think it's been announced. I did see Nate Bargatze is at State Farm the night before and if you haven't had a chance to see him, that would be a very solid double play! What other venues could host a game like that (15K+ capacity?)
100% has to be State Farm. Theres a big group of IU alumni down there, IU fans will be the majority for sure

a lot of more attractive locations than Atlanta, and all of them have a St Farm Arena type venue..

what they don't have is a domed stadium.

if we're talking Atlanta, they're thinking dome stadium.

a lot of more attractive locations than Atlanta, and all of them have a St Farm Arena type venue..

what they don't have is a domed stadium.

if we're talking Atlanta, they're thinking dome stadium.
Not sure why you're choosing the ATL and Auburn hill to die on, but whatever. I'm confident no one is thinking IU-Auburn is going to sell enough seats for a domed stadium (and I think you said that only so you can feign mock indignation at admitting that). They chose one of the better up and coming programs in a top conference in a major urban area that produces tons of talent and where we have a beachhead with recruiting and a history with our coaching staff. There is also a sizable alumni base. Again, not sure why any of that sensibility would ruffle your feathers, but I seriously doubt this is going to be at Mercedes Benz Stadium, or any super huge stadium/arena.

Last edited:
It was suggested on the FB forum that AU playing in Atl is the same as IU playing in Indy (90% AU) and that there will be IU fans there but essentially a home game for AU.

I laughed

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
It was suggested on the FB forum that AU playing in Atl is the same as IU playing in Indy (90% AU) and that there will be IU fans there but essentially a home game for AU.

I laughed
Basketball? Basketball in football season? I expect IU to have a significant advantage in terms of crowd. If we're lucky, maybe that will be the weekend of the SEC Championship and Auburn will be in it.

Reactions: Kellerdog
I’ve driven through ATL too many times. I think 2am is about the only time I enjoy it. 1pm on a Tuesday, traffic. 11 am on a Thursday, traffic. All ****ing day Friday, (always the day I would be going home) traffic.
I drove through it as a permit holding 15 year old. That was fun.

Reactions: kkott and Cavanagh
I am also not a fan of Atlanta’s downtown (terrible) or traffic (worse). That being said, there are some cool neighborhoods scattered around. As an example google “Inman Park bars and restaurants“ and you will see a number of good local places to eat and drink that are 2 - 2 1/2 miles east of State Farm arena.

Not sure why you're choosing the ATL and Auburn hill to die on, but whatever. I'm confident no one is thinking IU-Auburn is going to sell enough seats for a domed stadium (and I think you said that only so you can feign mock indignation at admitting that). They chose one of the better up and coming programs in a top conference in a major urban area that produces tons of talent and where we have a beachhead with recruiting and a history with our coaching staff. There is also a sizable alumni base. Again, not sure why any of that sensibility would ruffle your feathers, but I seriously doubt this is going to be at Mercedes Benz Stadium, or any super huge stadium/arena.

if they aren't thinking dome stadium, then it's beyond ridiculous to even consider playing Auburn in Atl, and the numbers can't make sense.

and they don't need to fill it, they need probably 40 thousand, and i'm guessing MBS has several different bball configurations with different capacities.

Atl from Auburn is basically Lucas Oil from Btown, and i'll bet Indy could sell 40,000 for any non conf IU vs major school on a Saturday pre B10 season.

and double down on this if more than one game that day.

if they can't sell 40,000 to the dome, the whole thing is ludicrous.

and since they aren't, the whole thing is ludicrous.

how much is IU receiving for this absurdity?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Drove through Atlanta spring break 05. We left Indiana about 1 A.M. and hit freak snow burst on 75 south of Cincy on 75 about 245. Guy braked in front of us and when he did we hit the median after losing control. The van behind us was with us and hit us. Minimal damage. But, the vans fuse box melted a few wires and he had no break lights. So going through Atlanta he raised his hand out window when he hit breaks to notify us. Shitty weather in Daytona but we had enough hot broads and beer with us to make it a success.

Last edited:
Lol. No….
You're wrong if you think IU won't outnumber Auburn fans. They will not travel in numbers like Hoosiers will and, it's still football season. IU fans will outnumber Auburn fans 3:1. Pearl's done a really good job there building the program and support, but they won't travel in numbers, especially during football season. Now, if we were playing them in a bowl game in Atlanta...

You're wrong if you think IU won't outnumber Auburn fans. They will not travel in numbers like Hoosiers will and, it's still football season. IU fans will outnumber Auburn fans 3:1. Pearl's done a really good job there building the program and support, but they won't travel in numbers, especially during football season. Now, if we were playing them in a bowl game in Atlanta...
I’ll take a solid bet on this.…

Reactions: kkott
It won't be 3:1 IU fans but would guess it is closer to a 50/50 split despite Atlanta being about a 2 hour drive from Auburn's campus. Indy or Chicago to Atlanta is about as easy as a flight as it comes.

It won't be 3:1 IU fans but would guess it is closer to a 50/50 split despite Atlanta being about a 2 hour drive from Auburn's campus. Indy or Chicago to Atlanta is about as easy as a flight as it comes.
No one knows and it will be interesting to see, but 50/50 sounds like a reasonable guess. No way it will be {for AU} "like IU playing in Indy".

I may be wrong, and we'll see, but I'll be shocked if IU fans aren't a noticeable majority. I don't think you guys understand just how football oriented Auburn and most of the SEC is. Pearl's a great promoter so maybe he'll be able to work some magic, but it will still be football season. Auburn fans will show up on campus once fball season is over, but I don't see them traveling at all to watch basketball in early December.

Reactions: DANC
I’ll take a solid bet on this.…
If you just want to bet that IU fans will outnumber Auburn fans, name the bet... and also how you propose it be monitored. I have no doubt announcers will be recognizing it, nor that IU fans will have a majority, but how would you propose it be counted and accepted?

I may be wrong, and we'll see, but I'll be shocked if IU fans aren't a noticeable majority. I don't think you guys understand just how football oriented Auburn and most of the SEC is. Pearl's a great promoter so maybe he'll be able to work some magic, but it will still be football season. Auburn fans will show up on campus once fball season is over, but I don't see them traveling at all to watch basketball in early December.
Oh I don’t doubt for a second there will be a noticeable IU contingent there, much so that it would never feel close to being a home game for AU as it would be for IU if this game was played in Indy, but there’s a ton of AU fans that live within an hours driving distance of Atlanta.

Also Atlanta isn’t the greatest of destination spots for a weekend getaway for much of the Indy/Chicago IU crowd. This isn’t Vegas or New York or anywhere warm for the time of year. I’d probably go if they weren’t playing in NYC a few weeks prior.

Reactions: ulrey and Kellerdog
If you just want to bet that IU fans will outnumber Auburn fans, name the bet... and also how you propose it be monitored. I have no doubt announcers will be recognizing it, nor that IU fans will have a majority, but how would you propose it be counted and accepted?
I’ll be there with Hooky. You can’t trust me worth af, but he’s an honorable fella…

• Haha
Oh I don’t doubt for a second there will be a noticeable IU contingent there, much so that it would never feel close to being a home game for AU as it would be for IU if this game was played in Indy, but there’s a ton of AU fans that live within an hours driving distance of Atlanta.

Also Atlanta isn’t the greatest of destination spots for a weekend getaway for much of the Indy/Chicago IU crowd. This isn’t Vegas or New York or anywhere warm for the time of year. I’d probably go if they weren’t playing in NYC a few weeks prior.
Anyone that thinks IU will outnumber AU in that scenario has had their head up their ass for at least 6-7 years…

Yes. Between 1am-5am and a full tank of gas. vbg

Anyone that thinks IU will outnumber AU in that scenario has had their head up their ass for at least 6-7 years…
Lived in the South for 30+ years and know lots of Auburn fans. Pearl has done a great job there, and their home attendance I'm sure has climbed 2-3X. I just don't believe they will travel to a road basketball game, even a close one with a good oponent, in December. Won't even occur to most Auburn fans: "you want to go to an away BASKETBALL game, in December; why?" That's how most of those conversations will go, if anyone even thinks to suggest it.

if they aren't thinking dome stadium, then it's beyond ridiculous to even consider playing Auburn in Atl, and the numbers can't make sense.

and they don't need to fill it, they need probably 40 thousand, and i'm guessing MBS has several different bball configurations with different capacities.

Atl from Auburn is basically Lucas Oil from Btown, and i'll bet Indy could sell 40,000 for any non conf IU vs major school on a Saturday pre B10 season.

and double down on this if more than one game that day.

if they can't sell 40,000 to the dome, the whole thing is ludicrous.

and since they aren't, the whole thing is ludicrous.

how much is IU receiving for this absurdity?

Why does this bother you SO much?
It's one freaking basketball game against a good opponent.
What is the down side?

Lived in the South for 30+ years and know lots of Auburn fans. Pearl has done a great job there, and their home attendance I'm sure has climbed 2-3X. I just don't believe they will travel to a road basketball game, even a close one with a good oponent, in December. Won't even occur to most Auburn fans: "you want to go to an away BASKETBALL game, in December; why?" That's how most of those conversations will go, if anyone even thinks to suggest it.
Trust me, they do. It’s like their Super Bowl…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT