ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone see northern lights?

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
I went out and looked a couple of times, just clouds. Our house has bad light pollution to the north, so I didn't expect to see any. But if it were clear I would have driven up to Sample Road to watch. I should have, I see a lot of pictures this morning from Bloomington of the lights coming through the clouds. They are probably not as vivid as the lights from clear skies, but they are impressive.

Anyone get a good look?

Reactions: RedFan1
So many people within 30 minutes of me saw them. We were at a party sitting outside until 1 and no luck. I’m getting in my car and driving if people are seeing them tonight.

I went out and looked a couple of times, just clouds. Our house has bad light pollution to the north, so I didn't expect to see any. But if it were clear I would have driven up to Sample Road to watch. I should have, I see a lot of pictures this morning from Bloomington of the lights coming through the clouds. They are probably not as vivid as the lights from clear skies, but they are impressive.

Anyone get a good look?
We drove out into the back roads somewhere between Westfield and Kokomo to get away from as much light pollution as possible. The key for us was to spot them with the camera, which seems to pick up that part of the visual spectrum better than the naked eye, and then turn off all our lights and close our eyes for a while. Once ours eyes were in full “night vision”, we could see them pretty well, but still not nearly as brightly as through the camera.

We drove out into the back roads somewhere between Westfield and Kokomo to get away from as much light pollution as possible. The key for us was to spot them with the camera, which seems to pick up that part of the visual spectrum better than the naked eye, and then turn off all our lights and close our eyes for a while. Once ours eyes were in full “night vision”, we could see them pretty well, but still not nearly as brightly as through the camera.
Light pollution has been a killer. Before we had all the security's lights on farms I can remember them quite vividly as a kid. I’ll try tonight but am not optimistic. I was at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder and it was a hot topic there-beautiful facility, btw.

Light pollution has been a killer. Before we had all the security's lights on farms I can remember them quite vividly as a kid. I’ll try tonight but am not optimistic. I was at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder and it was a hot topic there-beautiful facility, btw.

I recall when I was young seeing the Milky Way many times. Light pollution has meant I haven't seen it in a very long time.

I recall when I was young seeing the Milky Way many times. Light pollution has meant I haven't seen it in a very long time.
The real night sky is a great thing of beauty, it was awesome. My dad knew all the constellations and would show us how they changed with the seasons, he had maps to illustrate it to us. Wonderful memory's from childhood.

The real night sky is a great thing of beauty, it was awesome. My dad knew all the constellations and would show us how they changed with the seasons, he had maps to illustrate it to us. Wonderful memory's from childhood.
Rafted the Colorado through the Grand Canyon..camped on a sand bar...the stars were so numerous and brilliant that it was almost intimidating.

Rafted the Colorado through the Grand Canyon..camped on a sand bar...the stars were so numerous and brilliant that it was almost intimidating.
I did that too on a bachelor’s party. Vegas then little plane to the river and rafted. Couldn’t believe how cold the water was. Then helicopters took us to the top. Was so hot the helicopters couldn’t make it and had to go back down and take us two at a time.

Spectacular trip. But I’ll say mas there were people doing 7 day floats. That would have been wayyyyyy too long

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta
I did that too on a bachelor’s party. Vegas then little plane to the river and rafted. Couldn’t believe how cold the water was. Then helicopters took us to the top. Was so hot the helicopters couldn’t make it and had to go back down and take us two at a time.

Spectacular trip. But I’ll say mas there were people doing 7 day floats. That would have been wayyyyyy too long
My group rafted the Snake through Hell's Canyon on a two-nighter one September.....in a younger man's clothes.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
My group rafted the Snake through Hell's Canyon on a two-nighter one September.....in a younger man's clothes.
That’s awesome! How did it compare to the Colorado? The Colorado was incredible but after a while the view never changed. As I said a week would have been rough.

Well you said a bachelor's party.... 7 days is too long... you have to get back because there were better things to do. Those 7 day people were probably married and looked at it as a way to get away from their wife.🤣

I’m a kayaker and every year I used to go up to Isle Royale in northern Lake Superior, about 20 miles south of Canada. We were on an island off the main island called Belle Isle and there was an ideal observation spot to see the sky. It was like being in a planetarium where the Milky Way and surrounding stars were so vivid you could almost “see” our solar system’s place within the galaxy. Very profound feeling that in the moment it changed my perspective on our earthly reality.

Well you said a bachelor's party.... 7 days is too long... you have to get back because there were better things to do. Those 7 day people were probably married and looked at it as a way to get away from their wife.🤣
Ha no not my crew. Other people on the river. 7 days of incredible heat and essentially the same view. It’s been 20 years but if I remember right you could have a guide/cook who would make steaks eggs etc. but damn that was still roughing it

Ha no not my crew. Other people on the river. 7 days of incredible heat and essentially the same view. It’s been 20 years but if I remember right you could have a guide/cook who would make steaks eggs etc. but damn that was still roughing it
You've led a sheltered life. :)

That’s awesome! How did it compare to the Colorado? The Colorado was incredible but after a while the view never changed. As I said a week would have been rough.
Each memorable in its' own way.
The lower Colorado( same small plane/helicopters to a pad in the canyon) was more of a float trip, whereas the Snake was a river rafting trip; more physical. Yes the Canyon was hot once you got off the river

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I’m a kayaker and every year I used to go up to Isle Royale in northern Lake Superior, about 20 miles south of Canada. We were on an island off the main island called Belle Isle and there was an ideal observation spot to see the sky. It was like being in a planetarium where the Milky Way and surrounding stars were so vivid you could almost “see” our solar system’s place within the galaxy. Very profound feeling that in the moment it changed my perspective on our earthly reality.
Moskey Basin is my favorite place on this earth.

So many people within 30 minutes of me saw them. We were at a party sitting outside until 1 and no luck. I’m getting in my car and driving if people are seeing them tonight.

Wife told me this morning she couldn't sleep (I sleep like a log) and went for a drive around 2:00am to see if she could see them, but no luck. Being from northern Saskatchewan, it's not like she hasn't seen them plenty, but I think she was looking for some remembrances of home. Maybe tonight if she's up to it. Me, I'll be out of commission.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT