ADVERTISEMENT

American Workforce Act

The support for Vocational Education or Career and Tech Education as it is referred to now days is cyclical. There are times that the powers that be see value and then they revert back to everyone needs to go to college. I currently work at a charter school that emphasizes CTE. For the last three years 100% of our senior class has acquired at least one industry certification. We have approximately 1200 students who choose to attend our school. We have 11 different academies. We offer IT, Digital Film, graphic arts, medical, auto mechanics, auto body, veterinary assisting, business, music and sound production. We have also offered motor cycle and marine mechanics and next year we will be offering Biotech studies. Along with our 100% industry certification , we have a 99% graduation rate.We have a car dealership that chips in a hefty donation each year and have employed a number of our grads.
This is a great program for certain kids. I really believe that. My concern is that the pendulum might be swinging too far where we are overemphasizing trades at the expense of a highly educated workforce. Also, some kids might take a path the shortchanges their abilities.

This is a great program for certain kids. I really believe that. My concern is that the pendulum might be swinging too far where we are overemphasizing trades at the expense of a highly educated workforce. Also, some kids might take a path the shortchanges their abilities.
Our kids all earn a regular high school diploma. The only difference is that instead of the traditional electives they go to their academy classes everyday. Also we do still encourage our kids to go to college and many of them do go to college.

Apparently yes.

I'm stumped as well.
OK. Let's put together a college curriculum for her:

A few theater classes
Anatomy
Finance
Accounting
No calc needed
a few psych courses
A beginning logic class
A few philosophy classes
Every other class as easy as possible to get the best GPA possible

We're aiming at a high GPA for law school scholarships, not for the best law school. Best trial attorneys don't go to the best law schools. Need to work on public speaking, too. But we're going to focus the most on summer clerkships at big PI firms in whatever city she wants to work in (NOT Indy, think the Indiana medmal laws are awful). McMurt, anything else?

• Love
Reactions: DANC and larsIU

A few theater classes
Anatomy
Finance
Accounting
No calc needed
a few psych courses
A beginning logic class
A few philosophy classes

We're aiming at a high GPA for law school scholarships, not for the best law school. Best trial attorneys don't go to the best law schools. Need to work on public speaking, too. But we're going to focus the most on summer clerkships at big PI firms in whatever city she wants to work in (NOT Indy, think the Indiana medmal laws are awful). McMurt, anything else?
lots of psychology. you're really dealing with people. but i truly mean this for lars in that i would talk her out of it. cortez and i and our group of buds literally text daily and have for the most part for 25 years. to a person we hated it. from small firms to mega firms all over the country and world. all normal guys. beer drinkers. athletes.

but if you are going to do the med mal route those firms as you know don't interview. you have to seek them out. you have to write to them call them etc. and never go through hr. go right to the top. and definitely state laws and jurisdiction matters but you can find great med mal lawyers everywhere. i got to do a couple of cases with sheldon schlesinger. he had an entire courtroom in his firm that was incredible. our old firm was tied in with sheldon and robert montgomery and jack scarola and willie gary. all heavy hitters. so get in one of those you can learn so much. but you have to seek them out. and you can tell when you get to the office if the driveway is all rolls and bentley's like bob montgomery's office you know they're doing fine.

when my close buddy and i left and started our own firm you could hear us screaming, mother fukking adjusters for mailing settlement checks WHEN WE TOLD THEM TO LEAVE IT AT THEIR OFFICE AND WE WILL SEND SOMEONE DOWN TO PICK UP THE MOTHERF*UCKING CHECK TODAY!!!!!!!!!! that's probably one you want to pass on

I could put together a list of interview questions that she could ask that would have the partner at once shaking with “how would you know to ask that) and in tears laughing.

Last edited:
lots of psychology. you're really dealing with people. but i truly mean this for lars in that i would talk her out of it. cortez and i and our group of buds literally text daily and have for the most part for 25 years. to a person we hated it. from small firms to mega firms all over the country and world. all normal guys. beer drinkers. athletes.

but if you are going to do the med mal route those firms as you know don't interview. you have to seek them out. you have to write to them call them etc. and never go through hr. go right to the top. and definitely state laws and jurisdiction matters but you can find great med mal lawyers everywhere. i got to do a couple of cases with sheldon schlesinger. he had an entire courtroom in his firm that was incredible. our old firm was tied in with sheldon and robert montgomery and jack scarola and willie gary. all heavy hitters. so get in one of those you can learn so much. but you have to seek them out. and you can tell when you get to the office if the driveway is all rolls and bentley's like bob montgomery's office you know they're doing fine.

when my close buddy and i left and started our own firm you could hear us screaming, mother fukking adjusters for mailing settlement checks WHEN WE TOLD THEM TO LEAVE IT AT THEIR OFFICE AND WE WILL SEND SOMEONE DOWN TO PICK UP THE MOTHERF*UCKING CHECK TODAY!!!!!!!!!! that's probably one you want to pass on

I could put together a list of interview questions that she could ask that would have the partner at once shaking with “how would you know to ask that) and in tears laughing.
Lars another thing to consider. Maurer School of Law tuition, fees, and books will by $40,400 next fall. Not including rent and food. Unless daddy Lars is CTCing it, she will have to get private loans. She would be looking at $150-180k in loan school debt.

When Murt and I were there, the $20k Stafford loan covered tuition and my living expenses. Now, I was very broke, but doable. It’s 3x that amount now, which honestly blows my damn mind.

Last edited:
Lars another thing to consider. Maurer School of Law tuition, fees, and books will by $40,400 next fall. Not including rent and food. Unless daddy Lars is CTCing it, she will have to get private loans. She would be looking at $240,000k in loan school debt.

When Murt and I were there, the $20k Stafford loan covered tuition and my living expenses. Now, I was very broke, but doable. It’s 4x that amount now, which honestly blows my damn mind.
That’s insane.

To your credit tho you still managed to land the best apt in town

Lars another thing to consider. Maurer School of Law tuition, fees, and books will by $40,400 next fall. Not including rent and food. Unless daddy Lars is CTCing it, she will have to get private loans. She would be looking at $150-180k in loan school debt.

When Murt and I were there, the $20k Stafford loan covered tuition and my living expenses. Now, I was very broke, but doable. It’s 3x that amount now, which honestly blows my damn mind.
Lars is a Democrat. Counting on student loan forgiveness is part of the calculus.

• Love
Reactions: larsIU
The tension is starting to build in here with all this best apt in town talk.

Jake Gyllenhaal Love GIF

A few theater classes
Anatomy
Finance
Accounting
No calc needed
a few psych courses
A beginning logic class
A few philosophy classes

Shouldn't you have an expertise in something? If she's going to sue someone for medical malpractice, shouldn't she know something about biology? I know you said anatomy, but seems kind of basic.

I don't know - just wondering.

The tension is starting to build in here with all this best apt in town talk.

Jake Gyllenhaal Love GIF

Shouldn't you have an expertise in something? If she's going to sue someone for medical malpractice, shouldn't she know something about biology? I know you said anatomy, but seems kind of basic.

You learn medical practice as you do those cases. Unless you're going to be a doctor, though, I'm not sure it matters how far you go in biology.

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66

Honestly, she's insane and has no freaking clue what she wants to do. She is incredibly persuasive and, to my neverending consternation, a pretty damn good debater.

And gets the b*tch side from her mother. So, there's that.

Really though, she's 17. I wanted to be a stock broker at 17. Then i found out that required math. Her focus on med mal seems to come from the "injustice of it all" angle which leads me to believe if she actually did pursue law she'd end up a broke ACLU lawyer.

Or female Terrence Crump.

Honestly, she's insane and has no freaking clue what she wants to do. She is incredibly persuasive and, to my neverending consternation, a pretty damn good debater.

And gets the b*tch side from her mother. So, there's that.

Really though, she's 17. I wanted to be a stock broker at 17. Then i found out that required math. Her focus on med mal seems to come from the "injustice of it all" angle which leads me to believe if she actually did pursue law she'd end up a broke ACLU lawyer.

Or female Terrence Crump.
I wanted to be a lawyer when I was that age for the same reasons - to help the underprivileged get justice. I was on our schools speech and debate teams and I was pretty decent, so I thought 'how hard could it be?'.

I went through most of undergrad school with that plan. Then my HS friend finished law school (he was 3 years ahead of me at IU because I was in the Army prior to undergrad) and started practicing law.

He started telling me about all the divorces he was doing, how he had to keep track of his time, and people who didn't pay their bills. Then he got a job as assistant prosecutor and was thrilled, because he got health insurance. I'm thinking to myself "You're a lawyer and paying for health insurance is an issue for you?" (this was when insurance was actually affordable)

So, I had an honest conversation with myself and decided to go another direction. I'm glad I did, because I know I would have been totally frustrated in the profession.

I wanted to be a lawyer when I was that age for the same reasons - to help the underprivileged get justice. I was on our schools speech and debate teams and I was pretty decent, so I thought 'how hard could it be?'.

I went through most of undergrad school with that plan. Then my HS friend finished law school (he was 3 years ahead of me at IU because I was in the Army prior to undergrad) and started practicing law.

He started telling me about all the divorces he was doing, how he had to keep track of his time, and people who didn't pay their bills. Then he got a job as assistant prosecutor and was thrilled, because he got health insurance. I'm thinking to myself "You're a lawyer and paying for health insurance is an issue for you?" (this was when insurance was actually affordable)

So, I had an honest conversation with myself and decided to go another direction. I'm glad I did, because I know I would have been totally frustrated in the profession.
You would have been frustrated with all of the boring ass paperwork but I’m sure you would have ultimately spent most of your time in courtrooms carving up the other side.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
You would have been frustrated with all of the boring ass paperwork but I’m sure you would have ultimately spent most of your time in courtrooms carving up the other side.
And probably pissing off the judges along the way.

The court stuff is the fun part, but the paperwork would have driven me crazy.

The rural HS I went to 40 years ago used to offer Ag, Metal Shop, Wood Shop, Building Trades and Auto/small engine. They only have Ag classes now that incorporate a little of the Metal and small engine curriculum. That's it, despite the enrollment being about 10% higher than it was back then. If a kid wants to pursue any of the others, then he has to enroll at a centralized program that is located in the county seat and split time between the HS and vocational program. It's a logistical nightmare, especially for anyone who participates in any extra curricular activities (which are also dwindling).

Anecdotally, I hear that it's a similar situation at the other county schools.
Where I live schools are recognized as exceptional by the number of graduates, not just attending college, but the perceived "quality" of the college they attend. The mote they get into theses schools the better the job the school and faculty are doing.

Students not in a college prep program are totally neglected and under-funded.

The support for Vocational Education or Career and Tech Education as it is referred to now days is cyclical. There are times that the powers that be see value and then they revert back to everyone needs to go to college. I currently work at a charter school that emphasizes CTE. For the last three years 100% of our senior class has acquired at least one industry certification. We have approximately 1200 students who choose to attend our school. We have 11 different academies. We offer IT, Digital Film, graphic arts, medical, auto mechanics, auto body, veterinary assisting, business, music and sound production. We have also offered motor cycle and marine mechanics and next year we will be offering Biotech studies. Along with our 100% industry certification , we have a 99% graduation rate.We have a car dealership that chips in a hefty donation each year and have employed a number of our grads.
That’s interesting. Is it in pbc?

There's no reason in the world that a kid would need to go to a four year institution and obtain a BS degree to be a "vet tech." That kind of shit is the real problem (assuming veterinary employers are requiring this). That should be an "on the job training" position, or an Ivy Tech certificate at most.
There are a whole bunch of jobs like that. The problem is that we have required all white collar jobs now to go out and get credentialed and that isn't really necessary. Think of all of the customer servicey type of jobs where that becomes required. Or even some business jobs where the college degree is considered a barrier to entry. This certificate is "proof" you can handle the job.

The debt is a drag on the economy. There should be pressure on Universities to cost cut (like capping loan guarantees) and I would also move to a point where school loans can be dismissed through bankruptcy. If the Democrats are hell bent on wiping loans clear, then the entities that have helped explode that cost should be forced to hold at least some of that bag.

The debt is a drag on the economy. There should be pressure on Universities to cost cut (like capping loan guarantees) and I would also move to a point where school loans can be dismissed through bankruptcy. If the Democrats are hell bent on wiping loans clear, then the entities that have helped explode that cost should be forced to hold at least some of that bag.

Sounds like you and I are in complete agreement, at least in the general approach. Personally, I would limit the government loans to in state tuition at state schools only, make them bankruptable, and make the institutions responsible for the first 10% of the amount. I'm not interested in subsidizing kids going to Oberlin for a gender studies major or a NY kid going to Kelley.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT