ADVERTISEMENT

A college football commissioner?…

Can the commissioner get a NIL deal?

I mean, it would be unfair for him or her to be prevented from earning from other sources, and only get their salary.

We need Mich and Ohio to outbid the SEC for their guy.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I like what Kelly says but getting 64 colleges to go too far off from what they currently have and then agree on total separation from all of the other sports on top of it,.... That's kinda like believing cats can by herded...

He's right about NIL too... but I'm not sure the colleges really want to be handing out any more money to athletes than they do right now..... which in the big picture amounts to zilch.... Mainly because of their own greed and there are already suckers out there paying it for them... They'll keep trying to fight revenue sharing.

It's a start and overall it sounds good, but Chip...it does need more thought.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
The number of universities that can play football at an elite financial level is getting smaller all the time. The advent of free agent contracts is going to raise the cost past the abilities of many many more. Continuing to pretend that schools like Indiana State, Illinois State, the MAC schools, Western Kentucky, Southern Illinois, etc. should continue to try and expend that kind of money is crazy.

North and South Dakota have never been able to play in the game. Lightly populated New England states can’t compete.

You can look through the list of annual revenues for athletic departments and see that they might not even get 64 who can or would want to compete at the level of spending necessary.

And that list does not match up to the current list of conference affiliations. So the only path football has is to remove itself from the current conferences and let them continue to do what they do in all other sports, while football tries to survive by pooling the money and talent at the top.

Also, the idea of the “student athlete“ is dead. Killed by the Supreme Court rulings using “business statutes.“ A kid who wants a degree will no longer be able to play football at major universities. Education and high cost football are mutually exclusive.

And as the number of college opportunities fade, so will the number of high schools putting out football players at the bottom, or wanting to.

Dead sport walking.

The number of universities that can play football at an elite financial level is getting smaller all the time. The advent of free agent contracts is going to raise the cost past the abilities of many many more. Continuing to pretend that schools like Indiana State, Illinois State, the MAC schools, Western Kentucky, Southern Illinois, etc. should continue to try and expend that kind of money is crazy.

North and South Dakota have never been able to play in the game. Lightly populated New England states can’t compete.

You can look through the list of annual revenues for athletic departments and see that they might not even get 64 who can or would want to compete at the level of spending necessary.

And that list does not match up to the current list of conference affiliations. So the only path football has is to remove itself from the current conferences and let them continue to do what they do in all other sports, while football tries to survive by pooling the money and talent at the top.

Also, the idea of the “student athlete“ is dead. Killed by the Supreme Court rulings using “business statutes.“ A kid who wants a degree will no longer be able to play football at major universities. Education and high cost football are mutually exclusive.

And as the number of college opportunities fade, so will the number of high schools putting out football players at the bottom, or wanting to.

Dead sport walking.
you're absolutely right. any pretence of amateurism is long gone. are the players even required to attend class anymore?

Can the commissioner get a NIL deal?

I mean, it would be unfair for him or her to be prevented from earning from other sources, and only get their salary.

We need Mich and Ohio to outbid the SEC for their guy.
Isn’t that the supposed role of the NCAA Commissioner? So I take it this is an acknowledgement of the lack of leadership at the helm?

20 years ago you couldn’t get anyone to speak openly about this. Now that the athlete has some say in the process and money deciding divisions, we see people willing to discuss the NCAA shortfalls openly.

It is hard (at least for me) to have any sympathy or trust for an industry that completely took advantage/exploited student athletes for their gains. They just need to come clean and call it what it is. A business. Tax the revenue, provide compensation/benefits for 99% of the players that won’t see income in the professional ranks.

Multibillion dollar tv contracts just for football in one conference. This is big business created on the backs of people that had no say. It’s time to call it what it is and be comfortable with it.

Isn’t that the supposed role of the NCAA Commissioner? So I take it this is an acknowledgement of the lack of leadership at the helm?

20 years ago you couldn’t get anyone to speak openly about this. Now that the athlete has some say in the process and money deciding divisions, we see people willing to discuss the NCAA shortfalls openly.

It is hard (at least for me) to have any sympathy or trust for an industry that completely took advantage/exploited student athletes for their gains. They just need to come clean and call it what it is. A business. Tax the revenue, provide compensation/benefits for 99% of the players that won’t see income in the professional ranks.

Multibillion dollar tv contracts just for football in one conference. This is big business created on the backs of people that had no say. It’s time to call it what it is and be comfortable with it.
They should come up with a plan to share tv money with the people who actually make it.

Pretty much, yes.

The NCAA screwed the pooch, long ago. All the people involved were just too stupid to know it. Well, not so stupid, any wheels will still make their money hand over fist, But they destroyed college sports. Now they need something new.

I don't see a commissioner being much different though, no.

Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT