ADVERTISEMENT

134th opening day for the Cincinnati Reds tomm

On my rant I never see kids playing baseball on their own either. Remember hot box? You’d play for hours
We grew up just like the kids in The Sandlot.

Now, we have a nice park close to us, with three really nice diamonds that we would have killed for as kids. Nobody is ever there except for organized little league games. No one is out there just playing pickup games or just playing catch or anything.

Several s***** fields and even an area where there are guys playing cricket, of all things. SMH.

Now, we have a nice park close to us, with three really nice diamonds that we would have killed for as kids. Nobody is ever there except for organized little league games. No one is out there just playing pickup games or just playing catch or anything.

Several s***** fields and even an area where there are guys playing cricket, of all things. SMH.
What’s the deal? Tech? I don’t get it

Backyards...parks....wherever.

We built a perfect wiffle ball field in the corner of Crestview Elementary. Painted the top of the fence yellow and erected foul poles. Designed a portable strike zone before that was even a thing. Even put stupid measurement signs on the fence. 😄

Backyards...parks....wherever.

We built a perfect wiffle ball field in the corner of Crestview Elementary. Painted the top of the fence yellow and erected foul poles. Designed a portable strike zone before that was even a thing. Even put stupid measurement signs on the fence. 😄
That’s the best

Reactions: Univee2
What’s the deal? Tech? I don’t get it
Who knows?

I'd scan the stats page of the sports section until I could almost rattle off the entire AL and NL hitting leaders in order.

Would play one on one baseball with my brother where we'd type out stats and standings based on how the game went, and which team we represented that day.

Turned a weed eater on it's side to carve out foul lines in the grass. 😄

Now, I have two of these ****ers set up on opposite sides of the back yard, and the kid rarely uses them...

Who knows?

I'd scan the stats page of the sports section until I could almost rattle off the entire AL and NL hitting leaders in order.

Would play one on one baseball with my brother where we'd type out stats and standings based on how the game went, and which team we represented that day.

Turned a weed eater on it's side to carve out foul lines in the grass. 😄

Now, I have two of these ****ers set up on opposite sides of the back yard, and the kid rarely uses them...

That’s a great set up!!!

On my rant I never see kids playing baseball on their own either. Remember hot box? You’d play for hours
I don’t see kids playing outside period. At a pool, some. But we would play kickball, 4 square, Red Rover, Red Liget Green Light for hours. The little ones in my neighborhood do come out to skateboard, hover board, scooters, etc, but that’s about it. Hardly any bike riding either. I’m ranting too. It’s sad.

I don’t see kids playing outside period. At a pool, some. But we would play kickball, 4 square, Red Rover, Red Liget Green Light for hours. The little ones in my neighborhood do come out to skateboard, hover board, scooters, etc, but that’s about it. Hardly any bike riding either. I’m ranting too. It’s sad.
For sure!!

Full contact 21 with 3-5 people (basically whenever we had an odd number).

Didn't play a ton of baseball growing up for some reason. All soccer, basketball (duh), and golf.

• Love
Reactions: mcmurtry66

Didn't play a ton of baseball growing up for some reason. All soccer, basketball (duh), and golf.
Played 21 allllllll the time. True story. A few of my friends older bros went to mizzou. We went up for a weekend and were playing 21 when this little shit asked if he could join. I probably had 5 points my buddies around the same. When the game ended we had the same points and he had 21. He’d go left and shoot deep. Then right. Hit his free throws. And keep going. It was Travis Ford

We had a legit plastic golf ball course around the house as well. Driveways and streets were water hazards. Couldn't cut over the peak of the roof, but could play over the gutters on the side. Two traffic cones were the "holes". We'd cut the yard at various heights...basically scalp the "green".

Had a full Par 70 (only one Par 5 per side) course from various tees. One club...usually a 7 iron.

We were magicians like Trevino with those open-air (holed) practice balls. Could move them both ways, stingers where we would hit it a bit thin for distance...even were able to purposely hit those low risers like the pros did back in the day with balatas. 😄

Built a fake Masters-like leaderboard (we'd add an extra par 5 to each side when we played "The Masters". 😄

Probably the best pure shot maker I ever was....at 13.

We had a legit plastic golf ball course around the house as well. Driveways and streets were water hazards. Couldn't cut over the peak of the roof, but could play over the gutters on the side. Two traffic cones were the "holes". We'd cut the yard at various heights...basically scalp the "green".

Had a full Par 70 (only one Par 5 per side) course from various tees. One club...usually a 7 iron.

We were magicians like Trevino with those open-air (holed) practice balls. Could move them both ways, stingers where we would hit it a bit thin for distance...even were able to purposely hit those low risers like the pros did back in the day with balatas. 😄

Built a fake Masters-like leaderboard (we'd add an extra par 5 to each side when we played "The Masters". 😄

Probably the best pure shot maker I ever was....at 13.
I only had a sister, with a bad attitude. We're irish twins, so there's that.

We did have a chalked out Assembly hall "court" in my neighbor's driveway (I had gravel growing up, which explains my never great ball handling skills but sweet sweet jumper).

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66

We did have a chalked out Assembly hall "court" in my neighbor's driveway (I had gravel growing up, which explains my never great ball handling skills but sweet sweet jumper).
That’s hilarious. I’m the opposite. Solid ball handler but streaky shooter more off than on. I do remain one for one in assembly hall from three in a championship game tho. Bitter to this day over a lack of minutes. That they went to Cortez is even more disgusting

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU

Our "corner baseline jumper" was like an 8 footer. 😄

We wanted to replace our old half moon backboard with a rectangle one, so we stole a plank of particle board from a local construction site, and mounted it....untreated.

Lasted about a season before the rim busted off and the thing disintegrated. 😄

• Love
Reactions: larsIU
I could probably hit a pickle ball to the Fifth Third Bank building.
Aren't pickle balls light, like a wiffle ball? The wind conditions would have more to do with the distance than any power you provide. So the distance you might get would be roughly the same as some limp-wristed girly man, like DANC for example, might get.

• Haha
Reactions: Noodle
Aren't pickle balls light, like a wiffle ball? The wind conditions would have more to do with the distance than any power you provide. So the distance you might get would be roughly the same as some limp-wristed girly man, like DANC for example, might get.
Tell that to the 72 yo lady I tattooed in the face the other day when she tried to crowd the kitchen after her partner hit a slow lob that bounced about shoulder high. The whiffle marks will go away in a couple of weeks, but the lesson learned will last a lifetime for her.

Asked my old man which team he liked as a kid in the 1940's in Texas...

Stan the Man and the Cardinals. Apparently, they could get the AM signal from some super-tower from St Louis all the way in Athens, TX...so everyone down there was a Cardinals fan, I guess.
The Card’s were the closest MLB team to Dallas before the 1962 expansion. That was the era of clear channel AM radio where you could pick up stations on the ionospheric skip.

Reactions: mattndallas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT