ADVERTISEMENT

134th opening day for the Cincinnati Reds tomm

kurt cloverdales

All-American
Mar 3, 2020
baseball is no longer the national pastime. but still enjoy following the Redleg's an attending a few games a year. if nothing else a sign that warmer weather is around the corner. they surprised last year, and expectations have been elevated for this season. just hope they can stay in playoff contention throughout the summer. Nuxhall and Brenneman probably the best broadcast duo in baseball history hasn't been the same since they departed but still a good way to waste a summer afternoon.

baseball is no longer the national pastime. but still enjoy following the Redleg's an attending a few games a year. if nothing else a sign that warmer weather is around the corner. they surprised last year, and expectations have been elevated for this season. just hope they can stay in playoff contention throughout the summer. Nuxhall and Brenneman probably the best broadcast duo in baseball history hasn't been the same since they departed but still a good way to waste a summer afternoon.
Cincinnati.

Yeah, well, 29 degrees there now.

53 degrees here in Georgia right now. My Indiana math says that’s 24 degrees warmer. But we’ll be driving back Tuesday, when it will be 80 here and 64 and raining there. And then I have to start mowing every three days, so, Blech.

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU
Crowd is already lining up. Parade won't be here for another 90 minutes or so (this is from my office at the tail end of the parade).

GJxBzh-XcAMzdGc

Had a room and tickets for Reds Opening Day in 2020...need to reschedule that for sure.

We used to take the motorhome out to Arlington to host Opening Day w 40+ in our group. $5/man baggo. Grills. Cheap seats in the LF corner getting blasted by the sun playing "pass the cup". 😄🌭🍺

20-30 stories up with a view.

Just shitposting your achievements.
Are you kidding? His senior partners - you know, the ones with all the views - charge him a reduced rate of $250.00 per hour just to look out the windows on the south and west side of the building.

• Haha
Kinda Reds related...we had a game (soccer) at these fields up on the north side of Cincy that had a replica Crosley Field, complete with walls/dimensions/scoreboard...and even the upsloping outfield. Can't remember the name of it. Thought it was pretty cool. I assumed the dimensions were the exact same, but it might have been a little smaller for little league?

They also had a "Riverfront" knock off, for some reason. Generic dimensions, and those dirt patches around the bases on a turf infield. A bit weak, but an effort, at least. 😄

Kinda Reds related...we had a game (soccer) at these fields up on the north side of Cincy that had a replica Crosley Field, complete with walls/dimensions/scoreboard...and even the upsloping outfield. Can't remember the name of it. Thought it was pretty cool. I assumed the dimensions were the exact same, but it might have been a little smaller for little league?

They also had a "Riverfront" knock off, for some reason. Generic dimensions, and those dirt patches around the bases on a turf infield. A bit weak, but an effort, at least. 😄
Blue Ash Sports Center. The Crosley Field replica field is set to the original Crosley Field dimensions. We - The Kid Down the Hall’s team that I helped coach - played a few games there. The kids had a blast, particularly with the terrace in left field. Starts 30 feet from the wall and is 6 feet higher at the wall. A lot of high school games have been played there, particularly by Moeller HS (Griffey, Jr and Larkin).

(But, of course, they have some pretty nice s***** fields, as well.)

Reactions: mattndallas
Blue Ash Sports Center. The Crosley Field replica field is set to the original Crosley Field dimensions. We - The Kid Down the Hall’s team that I helped coach - played a few games there. The kids had a blast, particularly with the terrace in left field. Starts 30 feet from the wall and is 6 feet higher at the wall. A lot of high school games have been played there, particularly by Moeller HS (Griffey, Jr and Larkin).

VOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

About the coolest standalone s***** "pitch" I've seen is just up the road in Dayton. Kroc Center.

Kinda in the 'hood (I guess), but a great field, good stands and concessions, cool, old wrought iron fence with brick pillars that surrounds it. Even has pickleball. 😄

75978d3c-97ef-4baa-88eb-7bf8c601d908_DJI_0191+Kroc+Park+cropped.jpg

89245866_2522100364772048_8205335182769651712_n.jpg

anyone with taste buds would, never been impressed with Montgomery inn. Cincy might be the worst food city in the country, only place where Frisch's can survive.
Hardly.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier

So cool...

Crosley_Field_large.jpg

Reactions: Univee2

You ever see this place? Heard about it, but haven't been there...

z170320_eclipsesportswire_sgs_00026-2100x1249-910548e4-6918-4bc9-a39e-7c2372e35156-1024x609.jpg
z170320_eclipsesportswire_sgs_00007-2100x1213-af52b974-f260-497a-8bfc-0ed7cccb2004-1024x591.jpg

About the coolest standalone s***** "pitch" I've seen is just up the road in Dayton. Kroc Center.

Kinda in the 'hood (I guess), but a great field, good stands and concessions, cool, old wrought iron fence with brick pillars that surrounds it. Even has pickleball. 😄

75978d3c-97ef-4baa-88eb-7bf8c601d908_DJI_0191+Kroc+Park+cropped.jpg

89245866_2522100364772048_8205335182769651712_n.jpg
nyc has the coolest ones. and before univee kills me onto baseball i have never heard local radio so frustrated over the dodgers playing checkbook baseball and the feeling that hte cards' years of spending on top top talent are over. can only hope for the division for the foreseeable future

soccer-field-under-the-queensboro-bridge-on-roosevelt-island-roosevelt-DX1XE3.jpg
657b332340feefd2fc4e7f0a_Brooklyn%20Bridge%20Park%20Plei%20App.jpg

z170320_eclipsesportswire_sgs_00026-2100x1249-910548e4-6918-4bc9-a39e-7c2372e35156-1024x609.jpg
z170320_eclipsesportswire_sgs_00007-2100x1213-af52b974-f260-497a-8bfc-0ed7cccb2004-1024x591.jpg
i have. they actually have that ripken deal in other states as well

Haven’t been there, but looks great.

Two things are relevant here (mostly for McMurtry) - re: Heaven - All dogs go to Heaven and there are no s***** fields in Heaven, only immaculate baseball fields.

before univee kills me onto baseball i have never heard local radio so frustrated over the dodgers playing checkbook baseball and the feeling that hte cards' years of spending on top top talent are over. can only hope for the division for the foreseeable future

Cry me a river, MFer!! One strike away... 😄

nyc has the coolest ones. and before univee kills me onto baseball i have never heard local radio so frustrated over the dodgers playing checkbook baseball and the feeling that hte cards' years of spending on top top talent are over. can only hope for the division for the foreseeable future

soccer-field-under-the-queensboro-bridge-on-roosevelt-island-roosevelt-DX1XE3.jpg
657b332340feefd2fc4e7f0a_Brooklyn%20Bridge%20Park%20Plei%20App.jpg
Everybody hates the Cardinals, at least since Stan Musial and then Bob Gibson.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Cry me a river, MFer!! One strike away... 😄

Lmao I was at that game. Was unreal. Not as good as Ozzie’s home run but close. He’s a local kid too. Played juco for stl community college. He was invited to the Stl cards hof and declined. Said his numbers don’t match up with the cards’ legends and it was just like an emotional invite bc of 2011

Everybody hates the Cardinals, at least since Stan Musial and then Bob Gibson.
Asked my old man which team he liked as a kid in the 1940's in Texas...

Stan the Man and the Cardinals. Apparently, they could get the AM signal from some super-tower from St Louis all the way in Athens, TX...so everyone down there was a Cardinals fan, I guess.

Stan the Man and the Cardinals. Apparently, they could get the AM signal from some super-tower from St Louis all the way in Athens, TX...so everyone down there was a Cardinals fan, I guess.
Yeah cards draw from a big area that didn’t have baseball. Arkansas Kentucky etc

I played baseball until 6th grade. Then it became clear that I was going to be a very special athlete and focused thereafter on just one sport

• Haha

At the time, and without looking at a map, St. Louis might have been the closest MLB city to Texas.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
“It was my glove’s fault, coach.”
I was an incredible fielder. Nothing got by me. Incredible arm too. But couldn’t hit at all. Ever. Was a horrible embarrassment. And my dad bought me a bat that said FENCE FINDER in big bold letters. Purple bat. When id grab that stupid ****ing thing and head to the plate my friends would laugh and laugh and laugh. Was awful. I still mention it to my pop from time to time

Last edited:
I guess the STL Browns were either too bad to be liked, or they didn't have the super-booster radio signal?

I'll have to ask him.
They became the orioles. When I was little My next door neighbor old old goat played for them. And by way of comparison my dad drove a dump truck at the time. Those guys didn’t make much dough

Hardly.

Findlay market, staying downtown. too early to start drinking wife said let's see something local. ask around they said go hop on the train right there will take you right to Findlay market just up the street. she will love it.

Stand around 15 minutes damn thing finally comes to the stop, we hop on, 15 people on there who smell like lucy after a Saturday night on a car that should hold 10. just up the street took 30 minutes after stopping every 2 feet and getting tossed around amongst the heathens and the homeless. get off bus inquire where this Findlay marketplace is they point to what looks like a barn. walk in there look at a couple of smelly fish and several butchers and people selling shit, is there anywhere to eat I ask, towards the front you can get an ice cream. look at her and she says let's get out of here, Uber came and whisked us away in 2 minutes. a morning, I will never get back.

Hardly.

I love the Montgomery Inn pulled pork BBQ sandwiches they sell at the Memorial Golf Tournament at Muirfield Village in Dublin, OH. They're awesome.

Reactions: Noodle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT