ADVERTISEMENT

1 Scholly to go

Malik will be working on ball handling, face ups, middies and 3s all summer ... so until we see what his kit bag looks like in the fall that may or may not be an issue.

Plus, he didn't guard fives well, he didn't rebound well for that position ... and will probably not be working on improving his post play.. Of course things could change and he could get better at those things as well.

I think there's more concerns with him playing five especially defensively, than having him at four with Ballo.. His future is not in the post.

Everyone is over concerned about shooting 3's.. when that probably won't be an issue with the players we now have even if we run two bigs.. Two bigs with only one perimeter threat vs two bigs with three perimeter threats should look a whole lot different.
I've always been more concerned about the quality of shots and not taking a certain # of 3s. Never made sense to me to encourage a poor shooting team to shoot more 3s anyway. But, I agree, I think we'll be a much better shooting team all the way around this year, with the exception of at the 5.

Malik will be working on ball handling, face ups, middies and 3s all summer ... so until we see what his kit bag looks like in the fall that may or may not be an issue.

Plus, he didn't guard fives well, he didn't rebound well for that position ... and will probably not be working on improving his post play.. Of course things could change and he could get better at those things as well.

I think there's more concerns with him playing five especially defensively, than having him at four with Ballo.. His future is not in the post.

Everyone is over concerned about shooting 3's.. when that probably won't be an issue with the players we now have even if we run two bigs.. Two bigs with only one perimeter threat vs two bigs with three perimeter threats should look a whole lot different.
Over under on Mack threes attempted? 200?

Over under on Mack threes attempted? 200?
Under ...

I'm still not sure we will shoot enough threes....

The one thing I want to see and this one drives me insane ... We never pass the ball out after an offensive rebound. It's the easiest three in basketball. If not a easy put back or dunk, throw it out and either shoot or rotate the ball to a shooter .. watch UConn, Baylor, Kansas, UNC..

Also more transition threes. If wide open WGAFF how balanced the floor is, or how early in the clock, gun that shit. 25' is as good as 21' ...

And ... hopefully we see more threes generated from ball screen action, if they go under.. pull up.

Under ...

The one thing I want to see and this one drives me insane ... We never pass the ball out after an offensive rebound. It's the easiest three in basketball. If not a easy put back or dunk, throw it out and either shoot or rotate the ball to a shooter .. watch UConn, Baylor, Kansas, UNC..

Also more transition threes. If wide open WGAFF how balanced the floor is, or how early in the clock, gun that shit. 25' is as good as 21' ...

And ... hopefully we see more threes generated from ball screen action, if they go under.. pull up.
And we bring in a player that should be an offensive rebounding machine and shot blocker (to get out in transition).

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Under ...

I thought we were awful at lots of skills and behaviors to get guys good looks: passing out after a rebound, hitting guys in the pocket so they can get their shot up quickly, shot faking to draw/hold defenders... just doesn't feel like our staff coaches detail well, imo.

Regardless of what # he is, I hope they give Leal some minutes early. I've been pretty critical of him during his time, but I thought he showed last year he could contribute and often was a steadying influence when he came in. I was all for giving him minutes and an opportunity versus piling Hemmenway on top of him.
The problem is Leal's reluctancy to shoot the 3 even when open. It is a liability IU cannot afford.

The problem is Leal's reluctancy to shoot the 3 even when open. It is a liability IU cannot afford.
That will do in some guys, but also may have been a response to how little he'd played and not wanting to "mess up". He was Mr Bball and the leader on a state championship team, right? Hard for me to believe you can't coax that guy into taking open 3s if you tell him that's what you want and need him to do. I remember wishing Hillman would shoot more, but then again, he did have Alford on the floor, so...

Under. Thats over 6 game.. Now would I like to see it yes but Woodson will not allow it.
Why? He averaged 5/g during the B10 season last year and took 6+ in over 1/3 of the games. He had a green light from the start and will become much more a 3 and D player with the new personnel.

Reactions: asindc
That will do in some guys, but also may have been a response to how little he'd played and not wanting to "mess up". He was Mr Bball and the leader on a state championship team, right? Hard for me to believe you can't coax that guy into taking open 3s if you tell him that’s what you want and need him to do. I remember wishing Hillman would shoot more, but then again, he did have Alford on the floor, so.
“…if you tell him that's what you want and need him to do.”

That’s the unknown, right? Didn’t “we” have the same question with Miller Kopp (and others)?

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Why? He averaged 5/g during the B10 season last year and took 6+ in over 1/3 of the games. He had a green light from the start and will become much more a 3 and D player with the new personnel.

To add, the second possession's action in a significant number of games last season was designed to get MM a shot from 3.

I agree, 200 3s for MM in a full season played should be expected.

The unknowns yet are how Jakai Newton comes along after injury and also any positive development in Cupps. The freshman guard[Tucker] will have his moments but freshmen are hard to prognosticate on how they will do once BT season starts. Leal is gonna have to drill 500 shots in preseason practices and move that into his playing time strategy. Wish Leary or Roth could work with him in offseason. Although Roth being a HS coach might not be allowed to help.IU needs a spark -lifting shooter.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT