ADVERTISEMENT

“The Myth of American Inequality”

Hm. If a tree falls in the woods . . . .

If nobody takes takes the bate, is it really a problem?
It is. Marv best described it with his noise signal analogy. What’s more good posters left. In the old view it may not have been as much of an issue

Focusing only on poverty statistics is only one side of the income inequality issue. Look at how the number of millionaires and billionaires has grown since the 80s. The Super rich class is much much bigger and the gap is wider to the poor, even if there are also fewer poor people.

Hm. If a tree falls in the woods . . . .

If nobody takes takes the bate, is it really a problem?

Sure, so can you convince everyone to stop taking the bait? It only takes one or two to take it and then the shitstorm begins. Or do you just eliminate the bait?

I can’t get into the whole concept of internet trolling. I don’t know how or why it became a thing unless it grew out of the “safe space” and microagressions concepts.

We have 100% control over how we react to what we read and see. Focusing our reactions to constructive ideas or thoughts is excellent mental discipline and will quickly put so-called trollers in their place. The best way to deal with posts that make us angry or is a personal attack is to not take the bait.

In any event, what is seen as a troll is 100% subjective and largely depends on your personal reactions.
I have LMAO at this thread.

Thanks for the entertainment.

Ranger needs to come back..

Sure, so can you convince everyone to stop taking the bait? It only takes one or two to take it and then the shitstorm begins. Or do you just eliminate the bait?
Maybe we should start everyday with a troll thread. Left and Right. Draw them out. Once they're in the trap, lock it up til the next day.

Possible thread titles

Joe Biden pets another young girl!!!

Trump stiffs another contractor!!!

or

Have an ongoing troll thread. You can say whatever you want, short of breaking TOS, about Biden, Trump, Soros, the Kochs, or whatever other blather you want. But if you bring that shit to any other thread, you're locked out.

• Haha
Reactions: twenty02
Focusing only on poverty statistics is only one side of the income inequality issue. Look at how the number of millionaires and billionaires has grown since the 80s. The Super rich class is much much bigger and the gap is wider to the poor, even if there are also fewer poor people.

I also wonder if the definition of poverty is keeping up with inflation and the amount of money it actually takes to provide for basic needs.

It is. Marv best described it with his noise signal analogy. What’s more good posters left. In the old view it may not have been as much of an issue
I never understood why a good intelligent poster would leave because of ankle-biters. A couple if those who left frequently came down on yours truly. Not sure why, but I usually didn’t return fire. They often did post quality. Don’t know why they left.

Maybe we should start everyday with a troll thread. Left and Right. Draw them out. Once they're in the trap, lock it up til the next day.

Possible thread titles

Joe Biden pets another young girl!!!

Trump stiffs another contractor!!!

Can excessive use of sarcasm be used to get your point across while providing the appropriate level of snark to escape the trap?

Can excessive use of sarcasm be used to get your point across while providing the appropriate level of snark to escape the trap?
I think Mark's been pretty clear that good sarcasm and snark can stand. Personal attacks are no bueno but everybody appreciates comedy.

I never understood why a good intelligent poster would leave because of ankle-biters. A couple if those who left frequently came down on yours truly. Not sure why, but I usually didn’t return fire. They often did post quality. Don’t know why they left.
Because there’s very little discussion. Biden’s policy initiatives have had a deleterious impact.

Name one policy. He hasn’t had one.

What’s the point. Too many posters who are dumb. Candidly.

Because there’s very little discussion. Biden’s policy initiatives have had a deleterious impact.

Name one policy. He hasn’t had one.

What’s the point. Too many posters who are dumb. Candidly.
i can’t think of a single poster who has never postsed content. Some have higher noise to signal ratios than others, but so what? If people think they are going to get a post graduate level discussion about issues here they expect too much. The board is not as interesting or as informative as it once was. While I try to not belittle or insult posters, I don’t hold back about Democrats in general. Others don’t hold back about Trump and/Republicans. I guess we can all do better. .

I have an undercurrent feeling as to why there has been a growing level of Pub push back/ strong push back "lately". I believe as Pubs, we want less government, less controls, more personal responsibility, more freedoms. Due to this underlying belief system, we have a tendency, when we see something that on face seems ludicrous, we've usually moved on past it with the feeling that it's so stupid that it will simple run it course and die, it's proper death. WELL.
That got us the summer of love, Ferguson, George Floyd, our inner cities (and spreading to the burbs) in apocalyptic ruin, our southern boarder, a Garden medley in the oval office, a stroke patient and an actual dead man elected in Pennsylvania.
What our silence of the past has allowed, is the screaming of the unfit to develop and control power. If you are going to fight a war, everything is in play.

But that is just a thought that I have been working on.

I have an undercurrent feeling as to why there has been a growing level of Pub push back/ strong push back "lately". I believe as Pubs, we want less government, less controls, more personal responsibility, more freedoms. Due to this underlying belief system, we have a tendency, when we see something that on face seems ludicrous, we've usually moved on past it with the feeling that it's so stupid that it will simple run it course and die, it's proper death. WELL.
That got us the summer of love, Ferguson, George Floyd, our inner cities (and spreading to the burbs) in apocalyptic ruin, our southern boarder, a Garden medley in the oval office, a stroke patient and an actual dead man elected in Pennsylvania.
What our silence of the past has allowed, is the screaming of the unfit to develop and control power. If you are going to fight a war, everything is in play.

But that is just a thought that I have been working on.

That's only looking at one side of the coin.

Less controls/more freedom? That seems to fly in the face of trying to take away woman's choice and trying to take away people's choice to be LGBT (ie fighting against gay marriage or their right to buy wedding cakes from people who think their religion should allow them to discriminate).

Many Pubs also want to legislate Christianity (see Boebert and her wanting to get rid of the separation of church and state). That would seem to be less freedom (getting rid of Freedom of Religion).

I will give you they want less government but I think much of that stems from wanting to remove the shackles so that greedy people can maximize their profits at the expense of others, at the expense of the environment, or at the expense of anything else that may stand in their way. A lot of government agencies exist today because many people have proven to only care about 1 thing and that is how much money is in their pockets.

In a perfect world, we wouldn't need a military (because all countries could get along), we wouldn't need the EPA (because everyone would value our planet/environment), etc. Unfortunately this isn't a perfect world.

If each of us eliminated what we thought was troll bait, all we would have is a board about books, movies, and beer. And I’m not sure about beer.

The problem obviously is that one person’s troll is another’s fair point. I think much better is for each of us to not take offense or not rise to what we see as troll bait.

Cray probably greatly skews the data on that one since he probably reports every time zeke logs in. lol
You and Butterboy are basically one and the same person. I've never reported a thing about Zeke, her ridiculousness much like you and your Siamese twin stand for themselves. McMurtry has you nailed 100%

Reactions: DANC
Let me add, I don't care if my posts are deleted. Nothing I write will ever be confused with Plato's The Republic. I have never heard someone here say, *wow, great point, I am changing my mind".
Wow, great point! Now I don't care if my posts are deleted! lol

There was certainly a rotating cast of good-guy Republicans. The gay Republican lobbying for the show's version of the DOMA comes to mind. And there were some Democrats portrayed negatively, particularly some dubious decisions made during the primaries season (6).

The Dem admin was clearly the protagonist of the series, but it wasn't pure black/white.
Alan Alda was a Republican candidate for President. Who doesn’t love him?

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT