ADVERTISEMENT

The End of the American Dream

Hm. When you hear people say “I’m living the dream,” what do you think they mean?

I agree with your point in this way. We use Money and wealth as life’s scorecard because that is how we think. But I don’t think that measures a satisfied life.
i see it only that way in part. i see a home and having the income to sustain same and a life as security. i don't equate living the dream with the american dream. i'm living hte dream is an influencer on a boat getting blowies from models. the american dream is the basics, a home, an education for kids, a secure life.

My wife is a teacher. In her school, multiple fresh out of college teachers have quit mid semester. Not at semester end or end of the school year. Mid semester.

I’m certain teaching is a hard, thankless job. Unfortunately a lot of jobs are like that. Will that Gen Z be able to do the hard jobs? Will they just quit? I’m seriously concerned about. Seeking things to get offended by and dinging criticism triggering is not a path to career success in any field.
Too many people think happiness and satisfaction comes from the outside. “My job doesn’t make me happy,” or “my spouse doesn’t make me happy,” are pretty common feelings. One can never be happy or satisfied with those feelings. We have now gotten to the point that many people say and believe “my body doesn’t make me happy.” So they change it.

Someplace along the line, we have managed to screw up a lot of people. Is that the boomers’ fault?

Reactions: jet812 and DANC
Too many people think happiness and satisfaction comes from the outside. “My job doesn’t make me happy,” or “my spouse doesn’t make me happy,” are pretty common feelings. One can never be happy or satisfied with those feelings. We have now gotten to the point that many people say and believe “my body doesn’t make me happy.” So they change it.

Someplace along the line, we have managed to screw up a lot of people. Is that the boomers’ fault?
I don’t know. Maybe I’m just a jaded Gen Xer, but I’ve long accepted that life ain’t fair and everyday isn't sunshine and ice cream. It seems that GenZ sees world differently. When something negative is said or occurs, they tend to shut down and run away.

i see it only that way in part. i see a home and having the income to sustain same and a life as security. i don't equate living the dream with the american dream. i'm living hte dream is an influencer on a boat getting blowies from models. the american dream is the basics, a home, an education for kids, a secure life.
Grin. Different people have different dreams, and those dreams evolve. Some dream with their pecker. Others dream with ability to move. The older you get, the more dreams move from the former to the latter.

I agree the American Dream is the basics. But a person in a 3,000 sq ft house isn’t any more likely to be satisfied that one in a house half that size. A secure life is an interesting concept. Back in the day, I worried about more legal business to support my family and employees. Signing a line of credit to meet payroll does not cause feelings of security. But on the other hand, I took comfort in my own knowledge, experience, and ability to practice law, and that gave me security. Security comes from the inside.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m just a jaded Gen Xer, but I’ve long accepted that life ain’t fair and everyday isn't sunshine and ice cream.
Agreed. I guess the point is whether the unfairness and lack of ice cream unavoidably affect your life for the worse? Many people make money with no effort or with shoddy morals. Unfair? Probably. But that doesn’t affect how I choose to live.

Reactions: Cortez88 and IUINSB
When something negative is said or occurs, they tend to shut down and run away.

This is a real problem. Adversity seems to be a bad word. Like we're trying to take all the rough edges off the world. Well, those rough edges and a person's ability to round them off themselves is a true skillset that many in Gen Z completely lack right now.

Also, they can't write for shit. It's embarrassing.

Hm. When you hear people say “I’m living the dream,” what do you think they mean?

I agree with your point in this way. We use Money and wealth as life’s scorecard because that is how we think. But I don’t think that measures a satisfied life.
CoH, have spent the last twenty years meeting with an over sixty years of age group with a wide range of wealth.

Without a doubt the important scorecard is reaching the end of your life and finding yourself healthy. Healthy from both from a mental and physical standpoint.

This is a real problem. Adversity seems to be a bad word. Like we're trying to take all the rough edges off the world. Well, those rough edges and a person's ability to round them off themselves is a true skillset that many in Gen Z completely lack right now.

Agree on the writing. Simply awful.

I have always strongly agreed with this. Facing and overcoming adversity is an essential part of a good life. It’s like developing your immune system by exposure to germs or building muscle with resistance training.

Taking away adversity, insecurity, or disappointment does not build healthy individuals in my view.

for sure. i will say they are growing up in a different world with exposure to different stuff. i just read that guy fieri signed a new 3 year deal with food network. it pays $100 mil. his deal in 2021 paid $80 mil. i mean wtf. my daughter LOVES all the bs. tik tok, fashion, pop culture. if she said i want to go to NY or LA at 20 and drop out of college would i really say no, no, no, it's imperative you get that bachelor's degree in communications. so many different ways to make $ today. do they really need to be able to write. chatggptiqi will do it for them

Reactions: BCCHoosier
for sure. i will say they are growing up in a different world with exposure to different stuff. i just read that guy fieri signed a new 3 year deal with food network. it pays $100 mil. his deal in 2021 paid $80 mil. i mean wtf. my daughter LOVES all the bs. tik tok, fashion, pop culture. if she said i want to go to NY or LA at 20 and drop out of college would i really say no, no, no, it's imperative you get that bachelor's degree in communications. so many different ways to make $ today. do they really need to be able to write. chatggptiqi will do it for them
I'd only caution her, as I do my own daughter, that about .1% of the people uploading shit to Twitch, Youtube, the gram, Tik Tok, etc. make any real money. They'd probably be better off trying to be pro athletes.

The acquisition of that communications degree will teach them more than that.

Now, if you daughter (or mine) was showing a return on their efforts, it might be a different story. But that shit is also so fleeting. What was popular and getting you paid a year ago may not work today and the stress of having to constantly produce "content" must be exhausting. Which makes it just like any other job or hustle. But way less likely you lead you to security or happiness.

I'd only caution her, as I do my own daughter, that about .1% of the people uploading shit to Twitch, Youtube, the gram, Tik Tok, etc. make any real money. They'd probably be better off trying to be pro athletes.

The acquisition of that communications degree will teach them more than that.

Now, if you daughter (or mine) was showing a return on their efforts, it might be a different story. But that shit is also so fleeting. What was popular and getting you paid a year ago may not work today and the stress of having to constantly produce "content" must be exhausting. Which makes it just like any other job or hustle. But way less likely you lead you to security or happiness.
so this is where i don't know the answer. hoos probably does. guy fieri is making 180 mil over what five or six years. presumably there's an army under him making a very nice living. do they need communications degrees? it's like youth soccer. 30 years ago there was nothing to it. today if it's your passion why bother with college. club technical directors make more than D1 coaches. play as long as you can then get your coaching licenses and go to one of the thousands of clubs

Reactions: larsIU
so this is where i don't know the answer. hoos probably does. guy fieri is making 180 mil over what five or six years. presumably there's an army under him making a very nice living. do they need communications degrees? it's like youth soccer. 30 years ago there was nothing to it. today if it's your passion why bother with college. club technical directors make more than D1 coaches. play as long as you can then get your coaching licenses and go to one of the thousands of clubs
And does Fieri own the prouction company? Is he footing the bill/wages for those 30 people. Yeah, i have no clue how that shit works.

Hoos questions abound.

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Mean Girls Halloween GIF

French Yes GIF by Groundhog Day

A good friend was telling me last spring that his daughter's boyfriend was making a few grand/month making his own content for social. It got him an unpaid internship with Jason Bateman's production company in LA. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and I guess they want him to come work for them in a paid capacity. It was all exciting until he told me what he'd be making. You certainly have to pay your dues in that field, and he will need to keep doing his own thing on the side to make ends meet.

A good friend was telling me last spring that his daughter's boyfriend was making a few grand/month making his own content for social. It got him an unpaid internship with Jason Bateman's production company in LA. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and I guess they want him to come work for them in a paid capacity. It was all exciting until he told me what he'd be making. You certainly have to pay your dues in that field, and he will need to keep doing his own thing on the side to make ends meet.
oh my god tho. imagine his game at 3UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP compared to our bs or any other clown from indy. so what do you do. work for brinks and clunker. i'm an accountant. oh. how about you? i'm just in town for the weekend. i actually work in LA with jason bateman. POW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! panties disintegrate on site

yeah i don't know how any of that works. dammit. frustrating. and you can be from anywhere. john goodman went to high school with my mom
He's got a production company named Knuckle Sandwich, I think. At least that's what pops up on DDD credits. I wonder if his deal is really his deal or the production company.

Edit - Still not sure after reading this.

Under the new agreement, which will take Fieri to the 20-year mark with Food Network, the Mayor of Flavortown will continue to produce more of his Emmy-nominated “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives,” as well as more episodes of “Guy’s Grocery Games” and “Tournament of Champions.”

Fieri will also keep developing and producing projects with Food Network through his Knuckle Sandwich production banner.

oh my god tho. imagine his game at 3UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP compared to our bs or any other clown from indy. so what do you do. work for brinks and clunker. i'm an accountant. oh. how about you? i'm just in town for the weekend. i actually work in LA with jason bateman. POW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! panties disintegrate on site
He'd need a fake ID. Still can't drink at a bar in Bloomington. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Rank order the following strategies at 3UP:

1. Money
2. Cool LA job
3. BCP****

***Beer-can pen*s

I don’t know. Maybe I’m just a jaded Gen Xer, but I’ve long accepted that life ain’t fair and everyday isn't sunshine and ice cream. It seems that GenZ sees world differently. When something negative is said or occurs, they tend to shut down and run away.
I admit that I have tried, in many instances, to shield my kids from the unfairness of the world.

It's easier to tell my son the world is not fair than my daughter. I hope they both understand your point.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

as a proud Gen Xer, I take pride in not complaining too much except in huge, unpredictable outbursts. I also offer more help than I accept help, then will remind you of that later on in an argument. that's how we do. lol.

playing devil's advocate, maybe these kids are onto something. life is short -- we're on an overheating rock hurtling through space. most of us are born with The Man standing figuratively on our neck. who has time to build consensus with randos on the interwebs? no thx, I'll just eat bon-bons and play video games all day. sorry not sorry.

haha

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Now, if you daughter (or mine) was showing a return on their efforts, it might be a different story. But that shit is also so fleeting. What was popular and getting you paid a year ago may not work today and the stress of having to constantly produce "content" must be exhausting.

That "fleeting" thing is real across all kinds of endeavors and occupations. There was a time some ten years or so ago when I made a nice chunk of coin fixing and cleaning up computers. Windows XP was the gift that kept on giving. I had at least a couple jobs a week at anywhere from $40 to $150 a pop. Then came laptops and smartphones. Laptops you could handle software-wise, but hardware issues were a nightmare. In too many cases they weren't worth fixing. Once smartphones became ubiquitous even computer use by home users plummeted. On top of that, MSFT made Windows 7 and the following platforms much more robust and less prone to infection. Once W10 came out, I gave it up. I wasn't going to buy W10 and learn the differences between it and the previous offerings, and I wasn't getting any calls to speak of anyway.

Now I'm in an industry (aftermarket auto parts) that is in transition and will some day in the not too distant future be relegated to buggy whip status once EVs take over.

We use Money and wealth as life’s scorecard because that is how we think. But I don’t think that measures a satisfied life.

I've heard the argument that Money = Success is very much an American-influenced thing (though wealth certainly translates to all cultures, languages lol). as a "low-context" society, money and the things it buys are easy status symbols to aspire to compared to older, more socially complicated cultures that attach status to different, more nuanced, characteristics. I haven't travelled internationally as much as I would like but I do notice family and hobbies dominate my travel conversations while here people just ask what you do for a living.

I've heard the argument that Money = Success is very much an American-influenced thing (though wealth certainly translates to all cultures, languages lol). as a "low-context" society, money and the things it buys are easy status symbols to aspire to compared to older, more socially complicated cultures that attach status to different, more nuanced, characteristics. I haven't travelled internationally as much as I would like but I do notice family and hobbies dominate my travel conversations while here people just ask what you do for a living.
Agree. I've tried to break out of the habit when meeting new people of asking what they do, but it is hard.

Now I'm not ready to go so far as ask "what makes you happy" as some articles suggest.

I used to measure happiness by money and wealth, I admit.

Then I had grandchildren. That really IS "living the dream". It's impossible to explain to anyone who doesn't have them. I know I didn't appreciate grandchildren until I had my own.

It's like you realize your mortality and the future in them.

He may not make much now, but when he puts that on his resume, I bet it lands him a higher paying job.

That "fleeting" thing is real across all kinds of endeavors and occupations. There was a time some ten years or so ago when I made a nice chunk of coin fixing and cleaning up computers. Windows XP was the gift that kept on giving. I had at least a couple jobs a week at anywhere from $40 to $150 a pop. Then came laptops and smartphones. Laptops you could handle software-wise, but hardware issues were a nightmare. In too many cases they weren't worth fixing. Once smartphones became ubiquitous even computer use by home users plummeted. On top of that, MSFT made Windows 7 and the following platforms much more robust and less prone to infection. Once W10 came out, I gave it up. I wasn't going to buy W10 and learn the differences between it and the previous offerings, and I wasn't getting any calls to speak of anyway.

Now I'm in an industry (aftermarket auto parts) that is in transition and will some day in the not too distant future be relegated to buggy whip status once EVs take over.
EVs aren't taking over in your lifetime.....

Reactions: jet812

Boy that one is true. I was always impressed at how smart most of my girls were and some of the projects they did, internships, etc. But they’d have me proofread some of their papers and I was almost always stunned at the grammar and spelling mistakes , and just basic components of introductory paragraphs, summarizing, etc.

Reactions: larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT