ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Edey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miami just seems to have broken their will. Tatum a few weeks ago, "I'm one of the best players in the world". Zero field goal attempts in 4th quarter of game 1, benched entire 4th quarter of game 3 = not close to one of the best players in the world. At least in my view.
He is, without question, one of the best players in the world. His size and overall skill dictate that. But mentally, nope...he isn't close to being a guy that wills his teams to titles. And I'm not sure he'll ever be that guy?? He's always come across as someone that isn't truly comfortable with the Alpha role. Even saying what he said in that interview, felt forced and maybe even rehearsed.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Wasn’t it Shawn Bradley that Bob & Tom did a spoof on him being so tall and always hitting his head on doorways and other things?
Sad to say…yes. Shawn had a nasty accident a few years back and is now paralyzed.

• Sad
Reactions: Zeke7
He is, without question, one of the best players in the world. His size and overall skill dictate that. But mentally, nope...he isn't close to being a guy that wills his teams to titles. And I'm not sure he'll ever be that guy?? He's always come across as someone that isn't truly comfortable with the Alpha role. Even saying what he said in that interview, felt forced and maybe even rehearsed.
Overall skill? You lost many on that one.

Reactions: ytzid
Sad to say…yes. Shawn had a nasty accident a few years back and is now paralyzed.
I completely forgot about that. Got hit by a car while riding a bike. Ann then was paralyzed. Maybe that’s when B & T stopped running their spoof. Wasn’t he still in the NBA?

I completely forgot about that. Got hit by a car while riding a bike. Ann then was paralyzed. Maybe that’s when B & T stopped running their spoof. Wasn’t he still in the NBA?
No I think this was recent. Like 2021.

Edey's not the stiff many here want to believe. When you look at how much he's progressed, you know he's a worker and that will continue into the NBA. I still believe some coach is going to feel he's got a unique skillset and stash him on the bench, and I think he'll be around for a long time. Yes, the game has changed, but he seems a willing passer and can screen and protect the paint and rebound. There are still a lot of NBA players making their living that way.

It won't surprise me at all if he stays in the draft. His stock can't get any higher and he'd be risking injury. If he wants to play, this is the best time for him to go, especially given that it sounds like he's not showing badly at the combine. I'd rather take a chance on him, than the average back half of the first round guys.
I think Edey won’t trade a seven figure contract … and a year of NBA development… for another year in Mackey

Reactions: kkott
I think Edey won’t trade a seven figure contract … and a year of NBA development… for another year in Mackey
I don't see it either, unless he's just told he's not getting drafted. Hard for me to imagine his stock being any higher only to risk injury and a year of his game being picked apart.

He averaged 30, 9, and 5???

46/35/85 percentages

Whoever I lost...guessing they'll stay "lost".
Sure but his overall skill isn’t translated by those numbers. He was still taken big advantage of. Overall skill means more to me than just stats. If his overall skill is valuable then why TF is he not being put in most mock drafts? Why was he missed on the recruiting trail?

Sure but his overall skill isn’t translated by those numbers. He was still taken big advantage of. Overall skill means more to me than just stats. If his overall skill is valuable then why TF is he not being put in most mock drafts? Why was he missed on the recruiting trail?
I think @IUNorth is talking about Tatum being skilled but not comfortable as the Alpha.

Just off the top of my head, guys that are still in the league and have been able to stick around for multiple seasons with similar post-oriented skills: Nikola Vucevic, Jonas Valanciunas, Alex Len, Andre Drummond, Robin Lopez (not Brook), Steven Adams, Rudy Gobert (not, repeat, not implying that Edey will ever have his career, but similar size and offensive/defensive range), Nurkic on the Blazers; even Boban has stuck around for almost a decade.

Even the ones on the list that have started to add a few perimeter shots to their arsenal, like Vucevic and Valanciunas, definitely didn't have that their first several seasons, and continued to stay employed. It's certainly not the norm, but big men like Edey are still usable. I'm not guaranteeing he'll get drafted or 100% will find a roster spot, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he would, either.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
Tim Tebow was a first round pick and lead his team to the playoffs and subsequently a win after being named the starter in week 5 in year 2 after the Broncos started 1-3 after benching Purdue alum Kyle Orton. Peyton Manning became a free agent and made it known he wanted to play in Denver and Tebow was traded to the Jets where QB's go to die and that was it for his career.

No doubt Edey is a fantastic college player, but he doesn't have the measurables to be anything more than an end of bench rotation player in the NBA. His skillset simply doesn't translate to the NBA.
I know the Tebow story but let’s not pretend he was a successful pro QB. Sure he won a home playoff game in OT on a fluke play for his 8-8 team, Denver reached to pick him where he floundered and bounced around three other teams to no avail. My point is he was a phenomenal college player -the most accomplished QB of all in my subjective opinion. But he was flop as a pro…

Just off the top of my head, guys that are still in the league and have been able to stick around for multiple seasons with similar post-oriented skills: Nikola Vucevic, Jonas Valanciunas, Alex Len, Andre Drummond, Robin Lopez (not Brook), Steven Adams, Rudy Gobert (not, repeat, not implying that Edey will ever have his career, but similar size and offensive/defensive range), Nurkic on the Blazers; even Boban has stuck around for almost a decade.

Even the ones on the list that have started to add a few perimeter shots to their arsenal, like Vucevic and Valanciunas, definitely didn't have that their first several seasons, and continued to stay employed. It's certainly not the norm, but big men like Edey are still usable. I'm not guaranteeing he'll get drafted or 100% will find a roster spot, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he would, either.
I mean the majority of those guys on that list are well past their prime but all those guys with the exception of Boban and maybe Len either are or at one point were elite defenders or have offensive games away from the basket. The only back to the basket player that is also a defensive liability on that list is Boban and he averages less than 10 mpg for his career.

Offensively I don't disagree with you, his size and touch around the basket would allow him to play. But defensively he is a major liability.

Seems that the lane size differential could be an obstacle in allowing him to transition to the NBA.

And we still were lost against the 2-3 with a week to prepare. SMH

Strus, Vincent, Martin and Robinson all undrafted and all play. 110+ minutes between them tonight
That might be the single worst coached game I've ever seen. In terms of preparation, adjustments, all of it. I was already wary of Crean well before that. There were a handful of flashing warning sign games before that one. Heck the Temple game we almost lost. Minnesota game in the barn that year...Crean's manic style and substitution patterns lost a game for us that we should have won easily. Wisconsin abusing us in the B10 tourney...Butler...at Illinois...

But having that week to prepare for the Cuse zone, and having the weapons that we had, and looking like we were shocked and caught off guard by it...well, it wasn't good.

That might be the single worst coached game I've ever seen. In terms of preparation, adjustments, all of it. I was already wary of Crean well before that. There were a handful of flashing warning sign games before that one. Heck the Temple game we almost lost. Minnesota game in the barn that year...Crean's manic style and substitution patterns lost a game for us that we should have won easily. Wisconsin abusing us in the B10 tourney...Butler...at Illinois...

But having that week to prepare for the Cuse zone, and having the weapons that we had, and looking like we were shocked and caught off guard by it...well, it wasn't good.
pains me every time to look back at the Cuse game. I think the warning sign was when that IU team once again laid down against the fighting Bo Buckies in the tourney. A real, true #1 seed, B1G champ would have slapped them, and at the very least made it to a very hard fought B1G championship game. That IU team looked spent against WIsky and never got back on track. And yes, we did all we could to lose against Temple. The Cuse game was over before the first TV timeout....as was CTC's long term future at IU. Yogi bought him one more year by being superman his Sr yr.

Yeah and just think. If OG wouldn’t have gotten hurt it might’ve bought him more time and we wouldn’t(maybe) have gotten Ryan. 😉
I can't play the what if game....if Cody doesn't commit, maybe CTC doesn't last past 3-4 yrs...and then, just maybe, he who shall not be named leaves Butler and comes to Bloomington. Too many scenarios.

I can't play the what if game....if Cody doesn't commit, maybe CTC doesn't last past 3-4 yrs...and then, just maybe, he who shall not be named leaves Butler and comes to Bloomington. Too many scenarios.
Its all Cody's fault! He should have just went to Carolina like his brother.

I don't see it either, unless he's just told he's not getting drafted. Hard for me to imagine his stock being any higher only to risk injury and a year of his game being picked apart.
Somebody who has some decent connections to Purdue told me Edey is coming back for his senior year, but a thread over on Purdue's board makes it sound like he is gone thanks to a good performance at the combine. We'll find out in a few days.

Somebody who has some decent connections to Purdue told me Edey is coming back for his senior year, but a thread over on Purdue's board makes it sound like he is gone thanks to a good performance at the combine. We'll find out in a few days.
I hope he goes, but something tells me he stays. I don't know which mock drafts to trust and he's been all over the place from mid 2nd to undrafted, although I haven't paid much attention since he dominated the lane shuttle drill.

I would guess he'll be back.

I haven't read or heard a single report on how Edey is doing. I'm sure they're out there somewhere, but if he were turning heads, I can't fathom that it wouldn't have been bigger news. He earned himself quite a lot of national hype this year. And his unique size, game, etc... is an easy story for anyone covering the draft and just bball in general.

Reactions: Crayfish57
I would guess he'll be back.

I haven't read or heard a single report on how Edey is doing. I'm sure they're out there somewhere, but if he were turning heads, I can't fathom that it wouldn't have been bigger news. He earned himself quite a lot of national hype this year. And his unique size, game, etc... is an easy story for anyone covering the draft and just bball in general.
He did well at the combine and his pro-day and his measurables and agility drills were better than people anticipated. Really, his stock is as high as it is ever going to be as an NBA prospect.

That being said, he's still a mid 2nd round pick at best and will likely make more money at Purdue (assuming the NIL deal their fans keep talking about come to fruition) than he would as a 2 way player the next couple seasons.

I lean with you on Edey coming back, but if his goal is to play in the NBA it would make the most sense to stay in the draft. Not everything makes sense though.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I'm not sure how credible this guy is, but he's got PU fans worried Zach won't come back:

I've said all along I can't imagine him not being drafted in 2 rounds, and don't see how his stock gets any higher. I think he'd be foolish to come back and risk injury or falling as his game is picked apart, even if he were to get an NIL deal that's more lucrative than his first year. The real key is to make a roster and then get a second contract I would think, and his best shot at that would be to leave now it seems.

I've said all along I can't imagine him not being drafted in 2 rounds, and don't see how his stock gets any higher. I think he'd be foolish to come back and risk injury or falling as his game is picked apart, even if he were to get an NIL deal that's more lucrative than his first year. The real key is to make a roster and then get a second contract I would think, and his best shot at that would be to leave now it seems.
Probably right and not to be morbid but he looks like one of those really big people not destined for retirement age so might want to get moving on with life. Then again he may enjoy college life and playing 35 games vs 82+ and stay another year.

“Zach Edey is working on getting a new visa that would allow him to profit through NIL more easily than he could last season as a Canadian citizen playing in the United States.”

“Zach Edey is working on getting a new visa that would allow him to profit through NIL more easily than he could last season as a Canadian citizen playing in the United States.”
If the draft doesn’t go as planned.

Edey's not the stiff many here want to believe. When you look at how much he's progressed, you know he's a worker and that will continue into the NBA. I still believe some coach is going to feel he's got a unique skillset and stash him on the bench, and I think he'll be around for a long time. Yes, the game has changed, but he seems a willing passer and can screen and protect the paint and rebound. There are still a lot of NBA players making their living that way.

It won't surprise me at all if he stays in the draft. His stock can't get any higher and he'd be risking injury. If he wants to play, this is the best time for him to go, especially given that it sounds like he's not showing badly at the combine. I'd rather take a chance on him, than the average back half of the first round guys.
Edey can't play pick and roll defense at an NBA level, this is obvious to anyone who watched that abomination in the NCAAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT