ADVERTISEMENT

You have a wish and only one wish, 1st Football Championship or banner #6?

Banner #6 or School's first Football title, which do you choose? It's one or the other.

• Banner #6

Votes: 57 60.6%
  • Schools first Football National Championship

Votes: 37 39.4%

• Total voters
My grandpa told me the story of when Ronald Reagan was nearly assassinated. The front cover of the IDS the next day was all about banner #5 and barely a mention of Reagan. Is that true?
Reagan's assassination attempt was in 1981 when we won banner #4, not #5.

What else did grandpa lie to you about I wonder?

LARGE

So Auburn, an undisputed football school is ranked #1 in basketball for the first time in school history. Makes me wonder, if IU was granted a wish surrounding winning a national championship and the choices were either men's basketball for a 6th banner or football for the school's first, what would this fan base choose? I realize this is on the basketball forum and should also be posted on the football forum.
Both. I have no idea why so many of our fans try to cause friction or pick one or the other. We can be good at both. And we have been.

I still have the game on VHS. You want to borrow it? Smart nails the shot every time. Football overs a better financial value and is better for the athletic dept.

I hope you have converted that VHS to digital. A 34 year old VHS recording has probably degraded to the point of unwatchable and irrelevant. Just like the banner from 34 years ago.

Reactions: kkott
I hope you have converted that VHS to digital. A 34 year old VHS recording has probably degraded to the point of unwatchable and irrelevant. Just like the banner from 34 years ago.
Are you rewatching that John Wooden game again on the kinetoscope? A donut shop gave you a poster 7 years later, and the broilees actually hang that in the gym. LOL

Basketball championship because IU football is traditionally the worst P5 program in history, so there’s really no hope of that ever happening. And I’m okay with rekindling our basketball status and being known as a basketball school. Indiana is known as a huge basketball state, so it’s fitting.

Reactions: kkott
Basketball championship because IU football is traditionally the worst P5 program in history, so there’s really no hope of that ever happening. And I’m okay with rekindling our basketball status and being known as a basketball school. Indiana is known as a huge basketball state, so it’s fitting.
Plus natural resources. It is always better having local talent even mixing some national in . Indiana has more basketball stars than football and add in ND and lets face it PU gets better in state talent. 2 basketball standouts and a local mix and you can win. IU basketball isn't going to be back with guys from all over and no in state /Ohio/Ill players

The worst was they kept interrupting the broadcast of the game for updates on Reagan's condition. Like we gave two shits.
That’s pretty low, regardless of your political affiliation. You gave two shits about the leader of the free world having a potentially life or death situation? Over a basketball game? Geez. That is really bad.

We are not even a basketball school in our own state. Football schools in this conference regularly destroy this so called “basketball school.”

Give me a 0-12 seasons for the next 10 years if it means 1 championship in basketball.
That’s the approach that got IU into the basketball mess it is in. No balance, like Michigan State, Wisconsin, All eggs in one basket and they all cracked. Neanderthal thinking. No wonder the university is at the bottom of both major men’s sports.

Reactions: 82hoosier
You can translate a football championship over many other sports. From a value standpoint Football gives you the most of all. I am close to UF and they barely remember their back to back basketball championships but can detail every football championship to the minute.
Exactly!

Reactions: indiana ed
That’s the approach that got IU into the basketball mess it is in. No balance, like Michigan State, Wisconsin, All eggs in one basket and they all cracked. Neanderthal thinking. No wonder the university is at the bottom of both major men’s sports.
Please explain how IU being bad at football and IU allocating more funds to IUBB made IUBB bad?

BTW, MSU and Wisconsin have been really good in both sports the last few decades.

If the Hoosiers won the National Championship in football they likely would have been to bowl games for at least the four previous seasons. And that would mean packed stadiums etc. Probably would assure success for the next couple of seasons. I think about schools like Pitt and Colorado that had at least a decade of great football. I Rose Bowl would have a greater influence on IU.

Whereas a basketball program can be assembled and disassembled relatively quickly. Think about the Hoosiers losing to Cleveland State in the tournament first round after winning it the year before.

Right now I think there are better odds of Ball State winning both in the same year than of us winning either one. It’s like asking Rabjohns if he’d rather date Jennifer Aniston or Carrie Underwood. Does it really matter?

Please explain how IU being bad at football and IU allocating more funds to IUBB made IUBB bad?

BTW, MSU and Wisconsin have been really good in both sports the last few decades.
Bigger budgets come from more butts in the seats. Football puts a ton of fans in the stands if successful. It’s the primary revenue stream at all conference schools. It allowed Wisconsin and Michigan State to surge in Bball by building great basketball arenas and hiring good coaches in the days before the BTN revenue.
IU sat on its ass in basketball for decades thinking it would just ride in the fumes of RMK for forever.
Hell, we had ceilings in Assembly Hall rotting away and damn near could have killed fans had there been a game.
IU is at a competitive disadvantage in the conference compared to big programs and it shows in both sports. Playing a lot of catch-up now but other schools where trickling money from football success into basketball before we even had a clue.

Bigger budgets come from more butts in the seats. Football puts a ton of fans in the stands if successful. It’s the primary revenue stream at all conference schools. It allowed Wisconsin and Michigan State to surge in Bball by building great basketball arenas and hiring good coaches in the days before the BTN revenue.
IU sat on its ass in basketball for decades thinking it would just ride in the fumes of RMK for forever.
Hell, we had ceilings in Assembly Hall rotting away and damn near could have killed fans had there been a game.
IU is at a competitive disadvantage in the conference compared to big programs and it shows in both sports. Playing a lot of catch-up now but other schools where trickling money from football success into basketball before we even had a clue.
We will never be a football school. We will never even be a school that consistently makes a bowl game.

If the Hoosiers won the National Championship in football they likely would have been to bowl games for at least the four previous seasons. And that would mean packed stadiums etc. Probably would assure success for the next couple of seasons. I think about schools like Pitt and Colorado that had at least a decade of great football. I Rose Bowl would have a greater influence on IU.

Whereas a basketball program can be assembled and disassembled relatively quickly. Think about the Hoosiers losing to Cleveland State in the tournament first round after winning it the year before.
Richmond. CSU was in '86.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT