ADVERTISEMENT

You can't make this sh*t up . . . .

CO. Hoosier

Hall of Famer
Aug 29, 2001
So we have Nancy Pelosi and her congressional minions wearing Kente scarfs at a kneel down ceremony for George Floyd.

One problem. Kente cloth is a ceremonial accouterment of the Ashanti Kingdom. The Ashanti were slavers. They owned African slaves and sold African slaves to the Europeans for weapons and other European goods.

Looks like the Congressional Democrats, including the Congressional Black Caucus, need to brush up on their Black Studies programs. They don't even know that their Kente cloths celebrate slavery in the same way as some say the Stars and Bars celebrates slavery.

Asante empire, Asante also spelled Ashanti, West African state that occupied what is now southern Ghana in the 18th and 19th centuries. Extending from the Comoé River in the west to the Togo Mountains in the east, the Asante empire was active in the slave trade in the 18th century and unsuccessfully resisted British penetration in the 19th.
See also.

I would focus more on GOP opposition to laws prohibiting lynching, chokeholds, and no-knock warrants than I would on critiquing clothing accessories. But that's just me. I am sure that you are still enraged by Obama's tan suit.

The kente scarves were given out to the congressmen and women by the Congressional Black Caucus, according to NBC News reporter Leigh Ann Caldwell.

This congressional group meets to pursue legislative goals around greater equality for black people.

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus have worn kente at other occasions, including events last year to mark the 400th anniversary of the arrival of enslaved Africans to America and President Donald Trump's State of the Union address in 2018.

Over the years, kente has been used in the US to reflect a pride in African heritage, including at graduation ceremonies for students in historically black fraternities or sororities.

It is associated with the Ashanti people in central Ghana and is linked with special occasions as it is expensive to make.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-52978780

Reactions: Rockfish1
The kente scarves were given out to the congressmen and women by the Congressional Black Caucus, according to NBC News reporter Leigh Ann Caldwell.

This congressional group meets to pursue legislative goals around greater equality for black people.

Members of the Congressional Black Caucus have worn kente at other occasions, including events last year to mark the 400th anniversary of the arrival of enslaved Africans to America and President Donald Trump's State of the Union address in 2018.

Over the years, kente has been used in the US to reflect a pride in African heritage, including at graduation ceremonies for students in historically black fraternities or sororities.

It is associated with the Ashanti people in central Ghana and is linked with special occasions as it is expensive to make.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-52978780

That's correct. So what? It's still a symbol of a slave trading kingdom. Not just any slave trading kingdom. We are talking about participants in bringing slaves to the New World.

The congressional black caucus sees the scarf in an overall positive light as a symbol of African heritage. It would depend on who is wearing it, though. Some bigot like bunker boy wearing it would naturally promote outrage.

Shame on the Dems for not first consulting Co.H. for the white guy perspective, and shame on them for not saying "Hold on there, congressional black caucus, we need to consult with Breitbart and with Fox News first!

Reactions: wiede and Rockfish1
The congressional black caucus sees the scarf in an overall positive light as a symbol of African heritage. It would depend on who is wearing it, though. Some bigot like bunker boy wearing it would naturally promote outrage.

Shame on the Dems for not first consulting Co.H. for the white guy perspective, and shame on them for not saying "Hold on there, congressional black caucus, we need to consult with Breitbart and with Fox News first!

LOL. If the Democrats and the Congressional Black Caucus want to celebrate the colors of a kingdom that helped bring slavery to the US while simultaneously claiming the flag the Union fought under when ending US slavery is divisive, I guess that's okay with me. Their virtue signaling wokeness has f u c k e d up our politics in worse ways than their historical ignorance.

Reactions: stollcpa
LOL. If the Democrats and the Congressional Black Caucus want to celebrate the colors of a kingdom that helped bring slavery to the US while simultaneously claiming the flag the Union fought under when ending US slavery is divisive, I guess that's okay with me. Their virtue signaling wokeness has f u c k e d up our politics in worse ways than their historical ignorance.

The current flag has only been in use since 1960. Slavery did not exist in 1960.

Historical ignorance? Really ...

No one flies this flag ..
360px-Flag_of_the_United_States_%281861-1863%29.svg.png

I call flawed mental gymnastics and give you a 3.

The current flag has only been in use since 1960. Slavery did not exist in 1960.

Historical ignorance? Really ...

No one flies this flag ..
360px-Flag_of_the_United_States_%281861-1863%29.svg.png

I call flawed mental gymnastics and give you a 3.

i call flawed mental gymnastics on you and give you a 0. You know damn well what he meant

O.K. Karen.
When you get a simple detail incorrect, Donald, you probably shouldn't claim others are ignorant.

That you don't admit to your own ignorance (or poor recall) about the history of the flag you referenced....

well that's a bit hypocritical.

Last edited:

Guess you should have checked here first:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/black-twitter-mocks-pelosi-schumer-kente-cloth

Oops...

Do you know what gets rid of the Covid Virus? It’s a Riot.:p

It was a stupid but harmless political stunt. I wish those on the right would get this exercised over the dangerous and corrupt actions of elected GOP officials.

Last edited:
That's correct. So what? It's still a symbol of a slave trading kingdom. Not just any slave trading kingdom. We are talking about participants in bringing slaves to the New World.
So no different than the stars and stripes.

On May 20, polling had Trump at 3% among black voters. Biden was at 81%.

Trump refuses to say Black Lives Matter and his cronies can't say it either.

When Romney protested and said Black Lives Matter, Keyliar said something to the effect of 'Romney can March with a group of black Americans but Trump has higher polling numbers than Romney did in 2012'.

Honestly the only time I hear Fox news use the term Black Lives Matter is in a negative tone. Like Tucker yesterday calling it the 'Black Lives Matter Riots'.

Full disclosure, I'm not a regular fox News viewer.

Anyway, the scarfs are an interesting tidbit like how Trump's Maga hats are made in China but yeah....no one really gives a shit and absolutely no one except a nut job conspiracy theorist believes there is some secret racial statement being made.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=3661

When Romney protested and said Black Lives Matter, Keyliar said something to the effect of 'Romney can March with a group of black Americans but Trump has higher polling numbers than Romney did in 2012'.

Honestly the only time I hear Fox news use the term Black Lives Matter is in a negative tone. Like Tucker yesterday calling it the 'Black Lives Matter Riots'.

Anyway, the scarfs are an interesting tidbit like how Trump's Maga hats are made in China but yeah....no one really gives a shit and absolutely no one except a nut job conspiracy theorist believes there is some secret racial statement being made.

Secret racist statement? Nah. Just ordinary historical ignorance. I’ll bet most blacks don’t even know blacks also profited from the European black slave trade in the new world.

Even the BLM spokespeople say Black Lives Matter is code for police excessive force allegations. BLM does not include people like David Dorn, a two-year old shot in her yard, the victims of Chicago’s deadliest day in decades a week ago, or the hopes and dreams of black entrepreneurs burned and looted out of those hopes and dreams. So pardon me if I’m not fully on board and believe that many marching in a BLM parade are virtue signaling instead of wanting broad changes. I don’t need to be convinced by a BLM bumper sticker, selectively applied, that discrimination and prejudice is bad for all.

Last edited:

Like climate science, epidemiology, brain surgery, and any other subject that happens to arise, COH is an expert on the black experience.

Lie .. code implies secrecy.

Black Lives Matter is an international human rights movement, originating from within the African-American community, which campaigns against violence and systemic racism towards black people

There's no code, unless you're looking for one or creating a false narrative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT