ADVERTISEMENT

Yogi Berra. It Ain't Over. On Netlix

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
It's a documentary film that was released in the theaters in 2023.

Yogi was a pitch man for 50 years after retiring from baseball. And he was overshadowed a bit by teammates Joe DiMaggio and then Mickey Mantle. So over the decades people sort of forgot about how great Yogi Berra was.

In 1985 at the All-Star game in Cincinnati they introduced the four greatest living baseball players: Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Sandy Koufax and Johnny Bench . These four were chosen by 25 million baseball fans. Yogi had more MVPs than those four and more world series championships then all four of them put together.

The documentary is about Yogi the baseball player but also Yogi the man. He was equally impressive on and off the field. It is a great feel-good movie. You don't even have to be a baseball fan to enjoy it.

Last edited:
In 1985 at the All-Star game in Cincinnati they introduced the four greatest living baseball players: Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Sandy Koufax and Johnny Bench .
Ted Williams, the greatest hitter who ever lived, was still alive then. Thus, that ceremony was a farce. Without his prime years lost to two wars, Ted would likely have passed Ruth in HRs.

Koufax was as good as you can be, but only for a short while. Bob Gibson was alive then too and I'd probably give him the nod over the left arm of God, with Gibby having a similar peak and a longer career.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Ted Williams, the greatest hitter who ever lived, was still alive then. Thus, that ceremony was a farce. Without his prime years lost to two wars, Ted would likely have passed Ruth in HRs.
I think you mean a different stat. Williams was almost 200 HR behind Ruth in HRs. No doubt he is one of the GOATs though.

Yogi was a pitch man for 50 years after retiring from baseball. And he was overshadowed a bit by teammates Joe DiMaggio and then Mickey Mantle. So over the decades people sort of forgot about how great Yogi Berra was.

In 1985 at the All-Star game in Cincinnati they introduced the four greatest living baseball players: Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Sandy Koufax and Johnny Bench . These four were shows and by 25 million baseball fans. Yogi had more MVPs than those four and more world series championships then all four of them put together.

The documentary is about Yogi the baseball player but also Yogi the man. He was equally impressive on and off the field. It is a great feel-good movie. You don't even have to be a baseball plan to enjoy it.
It's a fantastic documentary. I'm a baseball nerd and loved it. My wife, who is only a casual fan, liked it a lot too.

Reactions: BradStevens
I think you mean a different stat. Williams was almost 200 HR behind Ruth in HRs. No doubt he is one of the GOATs though.
In 1941 & 42 he was at his peak, hitting 0.400 and getting 35-40 HRs. He sat out 1943, 1944, and 1945 so I think you'd expect another 110 HRs or so. Then he sat out almost all of 1952 & 1953, during a time of his career when he was hitting about 30 HRs/ year, so that's another ~50 he missed out on.

Altogether the stats suggest he would have ended up at about 521+110+50 = 681, so yes he'd still be a bit short of Ruth.

Reactions: mrhighlife

In 1985 at the All-Star game in Cincinnati they introduced the four greatest living baseball players: Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Sandy Koufax and Johnny Bench . These four were shows and by 25 million baseball fans. Yogi had more MVPs than those four and more world series championships then all four of them put together.

The documentary is about Yogi the baseball player but also Yogi the man. He was equally impressive on and off the field. It is a great feel-good movie. You don't even have to be a baseball plan to enjoy it.
Yogi was a huge reason for Yankee dominance in the 50’s. Being a CWS fan, I hated everything about the Yankees. Read his autobiography several years ago. Excellent. The title something like “I didn’t say all the things I said.”

Yogi was a huge reason for Yankee dominance in the 50’s. Being a CWS fan, I hated everything about the Yankees. Read his autobiography several years ago. Excellent. The title something like “I didn’t say all the things I said.”
future-baseball-great-yogi-berra-playing-neighborhood-ball-v0-4ajus95hz4p81.jpg

that's yogi playing ball in front of the old southwest high school here. over his shoulder is joe garagiola. they grew up in an italian neighborhood called the hill. great soccer players too. the core of the us world cup team that beat england in 1950. borghi, the gk from the hill, was part of a group of them that were in ww2 prior to the world cup. borghi actually was a medic and worked on jack buck when he was injured in one of the ww2 battles. i can't remember the name.

One of my favorites was “He hits from both sides of the plate. He’s amphibious.” 🤣

Koufax was as good as you can be, but only for a short while. Bob Gibson was alive then too and I'd probably give him the nod over the left arm of God, with Gibby having a similar peak and a longer career.
I would make a case for Mantle. He played drunk every game. Have you ever played slow pitch softball drunk? It ain’t easy. Now try to play baseball at the highest level. Yeah….Mantle may have been the most talented player

Reactions: UncleMark
I would make a case for Mantle. He played drunk every game. Have you ever played slow pitch softball drunk? It ain’t easy. Now try to play baseball at the highest level. Yeah….Mantle may have been the most talented player
He'd take a fistful of greenies before every game. That would sober him and then some.

In 1985 at the All-Star game in Cincinnati they introduced the four greatest living baseball players: Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Sandy Koufax and Johnny Bench . These four were chosen by 25 million baseball fans. Yogi had more MVPs than those four and more world series championships then all four of them put together.

The documentary is about Yogi the baseball player but also Yogi the man. He was equally impressive on and off the field. It is a great feel-good movie. You don't even have to be a baseball fan to enjoy it.
Watched it last night. It was excellent.

Good catch about Ted Williams. A couple of things that made all of these guys really special was that they all played the vast majority of all of their career with one team. And also it used to be that the All-Star players were chosen by their peers. So Yogi Berra playing in 18 All-Star games meant a hell of a lot more than today's All Stars whose ballots are distributed at McDonald's.

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT