ADVERTISEMENT

Yo Money...

this r/soccer post was written for you. Take a gander at it...you the ignorant US soccer fan.
https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/3kalqq/rantthe_case_of_the_ignorant_usmnt_fanbase/
This is exactly what I've been thinking. The only thing more insufferable than the American sports fan who talks down soccer, is the American Soccer fan who thinks the only way to be a true fan is to say how bad American soccer is.

Oh shoot, did I just drop "true fan"? 3.....2.......1.........

I'm really struggling with JK right now. But I'm definitely a Johnny come lately to soccer. I'm having trouble deciding if he's tinkering/experimenting or if he's batchit crazy with some of these lineups and formations.

If he doesn't have Besler, Gonzo, Beasley, Johnson as his back 4 in October, I may lose my chit (assuming they're all fit).

Reactions: C-$
I'm really struggling with JK right now. But I'm definitely a Johnny come lately to soccer. I'm having trouble deciding if he's tinkering/experimenting or if he's batchit crazy with some of these lineups and formations.

If he doesn't have Besler, Gonzo, Beasley, Johnson as his back 4 in October, I may lose my chit (assuming they're all fit).
Gonzalez is not fast enough, to me, to be starting. All those knee injuries have just piled up. As for Besler, my issue with him, were his statements after the January camp and Panama game, when he said he "never planned to be fit". I think that is what kept him on the outside looking in for most of this year, and rightly so. Now the underlyinh issue of his fitness is of course the real problem with American soccer, half the USMNT plays in MLS, whose wacko schedule doesn't line up with the OTHER half of the squad.

Gonzalez is not fast enough, to me, to be starting. All those knee injuries have just piled up. As for Besler, my issue with him, were his statements after the January camp and Panama game, when he said he "never planned to be fit". I think that is what kept him on the outside looking in for most of this year, and rightly so. Now the underlyinh issue of his fitness is of course the real problem with American soccer, half the USMNT plays in MLS, whose wacko schedule doesn't line up with the OTHER half of the squad.

Fair statements, especially regarding Gonzo. We just have way too many people playing completely out of position. Zardes, Ream, Bradley sometimes, Yedlin sometimes, Cameron the other night, Bedoya the other night, Mix usually.

I truthfully don't hate Brooks and I think Brooks and Alvarado might be a good pair down the line, but with the Gold Cup on the line, I was hoping we'd go with some more experienced CBs in the knockout stage. And why can't we ever play with the same freaking lineup from time to time???

Julian is playing with the U23 group along with Zeleam and other good young players. Their priority is to make the Olympics next year. They'll be up probably for CONCACAF qualifying for '18 WC.

And this is gold:
hehehe..cool%2Bstyle.gif

I posted the other night that the hope was to see a better line coming together than the previous WC defense b/c accomplishing more than just getting out of the group stage means their back line and front line must improve.

So I can defend the tinkering but why not do it with young guys? Alvarado is young, but Cameron is 30, Orozco is 29, and Ream is 27. In friendlies, what's to be gained with stop-gap players who are going to play poorly as opposed to young, developing players who are going to play poorly, but could perhaps develop and improve by 2018? My legitimate question.

I'll check it out......

I may not be as well versed in the game as you, but I can see there have been issues recently.

BTW, what the f*ck has happened to Julian Green? Is he Freddy Adu?

I have a friend who was on IU's soccer team. He was a very prominent piece of the Championship team in 2012. He used to play with Adu a LOT, and trained with him back when people were still excited for Adu.

There's a solid reason for his hype and consequent crash and burn. When he was 14, everyone was hyping him up as the next big thing. He was SO BIG, SO FAST, SO GOOD, AND SO STRONG!!!!

Well, what many people don't know is, at 20, Adu was given a bone scan after an injury... a bone scan that says "you're 24!"

That explains why he was so good at "14"... he was 18.

Reactions: C-$
I posted the other night that the hope was to see a better line coming together than the previous WC defense b/c accomplishing more than just getting out of the group stage means their back line and front line must improve.

So I can defend the tinkering but why not do it with young guys? Alvarado is young, but Cameron is 30, Orozco is 29, and Ream is 27. In friendlies, what's to be gained with stop-gap players who are going to play poorly as opposed to young, developing players who are going to play poorly, but could perhaps develop and improve by 2018? My legitimate question.

I think that's a fine attitude and I don't disagree. But at the same time, I'm not really a World Cup or bust fan.....there are other tournaments that 'count' to me and the Gold Cup is one of them, as is getting to the Confederations Cup. So in some of those friendlies, I agree that we need to play some youngsters and hope they develop. But as you approach a meaningful tournament, I think you need to have some guys that you can win with right now.....and have those youngsters in camp with them to learn/mature and potentially play if the situation merits it.

Having Timmy Chandler play as much as he did during the Gold Cup was frustrating and troubling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT